or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Surround and Surround Back Placement
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Surround and Surround Back Placement

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
So I just got a set of Polk audio owm3's in an mounted up. Surprised an happy with the sound coming out of these things. For aesthetic reasons an compromise, " I mean I can't really complain much, the g/f has let me put polk monitor 50's, a CS2 center, an a newly purchased BIC America F12 sub up front" Can I get away with mounting 2 sets of the Polk owm3's in the back. on Surrounds at the corners and Backs at thier respective locations mid wall. Will I be taking a huge hit by not abiding by the law an mounting to either side of our Couch? currently, the surrounds are 10ft to either side high up the walk where it meets the ceiling. The wall behind the couch is about 5Ft back. So I'd like to get the speakers up at the wall/ceiling junction lined up with one another an out of the gf's way for pictures an such Thoughts?
post #2 of 13
Thread Starter 
159 views...NO one here runs surrounds in the corners an back mid wall?
post #3 of 13
It might help if you wrote out your post a bit more clearly. Spelling and grammar go a long way. The word you want to use in most of your sentences is "and" not "an".
post #4 of 13
In a word, yes. While rear placement is less stringent the rest of your speakers in 5.1 placement should be at ear level. Is it possible to use wall mounts that allow you to point the speakers down?

Here are two references:

Dolby
THX

IMHO, don't worry about it. If this is the only place for your speakers just enjoy your setup.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thank you. I will most definately keep that in mind.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharel View Post

It might help if you wrote out your post a bit more clearly. Spelling and grammar go a long way. The word you want to use in most of your sentences is "and" not "an".
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thank you. Trial 'and' error it is. Have the surrounds corner mounted at right now. Doesn't sound half bad. Thinking I may need to bring them more to the sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

In a word, yes. While rear placement is less stringent the rest of your speakers in 5.1 placement should be at ear level. Is it possible to use wall mounts that allow you to point the speakers down?

Here are two references:

Dolby
THX

IMHO, don't worry about it. If this is the only place for your speakers just enjoy your setup.
post #7 of 13
One thing to keep in mind, in your situation. If your receiver has Audyssey (or similar depending on brand), then use it. The adjustments it makes will help compensate for the location of your speakers.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
My receiver has YPAO, Yamaha's equivalent. It works pretty as far as I can tell. Distance is pretty spot on with everything.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatter00 View Post

Can I get away with mounting 2 sets of the Polk owm3's in the back. on Surrounds at the corners and Backs at thier respective locations mid wall. Will I be taking a huge hit by not abiding by the law an mounting to either side of our Couch?

I don't think it would be a "huge" hit, but it's not the ideal. Might try it both ways, but I suspect using a traditional 5.1 with the side surrounds in the corners might work best. But that's just my intuition on it.
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post


I don't think it would be a "huge" hit, but it's not the ideal. Might try it both ways, but I suspect using a traditional 5.1 with the side surrounds in the corners might work best. But that's just my intuition on it.

I may just go this route. I really wish the Polk audio monitor 60's would go on sale again. Or the 70'a to be back in stock at the egg
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

In a word, yes. While rear placement is less stringent the rest of your speakers in 5.1 placement should be at ear level. Is it possible to use wall mounts that allow you to point the speakers down?

Here are two references:

Dolby
THX

IMHO, don't worry about it. If this is the only place for your speakers just enjoy your setup.

The OP is questioning placement of surround spkrs. Are you recommending the surrounds to be placed at ear level? THX recommends the side surrounds to be placed two to three feet ABOVE seated ear level, and the two rear ones on the back wall to be mounted close together...I think we need to clarify this.
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Perhaps I should be clear as to what I am using. I have a set of Polk audio owm3's that will be surround backs. I know enough not to mount them next to each other like that... my surround sides will be the floorstanding monitor 50's which will be sitting on 10" risers, unless someone can tell me why. I should not use a floorstander an possibly go with another set of owm3's or two sets of m30's.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatter00 View Post

Perhaps I should be clear as to what I am using. I have a set of Polk audio owm3's that will be surround backs. I know enough not to mount them next to each other like that... my surround sides will be the floorstanding monitor 50's which will be sitting on 10" risers, unless someone can tell me why. I should not use a floorstander an possibly go with another set of owm3's or two sets of m30's.

...just to clarify placement of the "backs", not "side surrounds", if you are doing 7.1 the "backs" SHOULD be placed together on the back wall.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Surround and Surround Back Placement