or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG XXLM7600 Owners Thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG XXLM7600 Owners Thread... - Page 84

post #2491 of 3922
What all options do we have for getting skype to work on our TVs?

Do we seriously have to pay out the nose for an LG webcam?

I have a really nice Logitech i'd love to use... doesn't recognize it though frown.gif
post #2492 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlo View Post

Thank you for the post.

Do you prefer Google DNS servers to others such as OpenDNS (which I use)? Also, I have to confirm but from memory, the TV doesn't offer the possibility to enter a secondary DNS server, just one/ a primary.
Also would a connection via Ethernet instead of Wireless helps the people experiencing the issue you are trying to help solve?

I do prefer Google DNS, because it has nearly total availability. (If you can't get to Google DNS at this address, then you're not able to reach anything else on the Internet. However, if the TV allows only one address, make it your Router Address. Your Router, on the "upstream" side, will probably be using dynamic addressing. If it doesn't, then set your ISP-provided DNS as "primary", and 8.8.4.4 as "secondary".
- - -
Ethernet connection does not resolve the 'possibly broken' dynamic addressing issue, but it does avoid the possibility of wireless connection issues occurring at the next layer down. (Wireless competes with the dedicated wire, at the "link" layer -- and in doing so, it adds several layers new issues of wireless negotiation and connection maintenance.) So, go with wired if you can -- there are fewer places for your connection to break.

My TV has just arrived, and it sees all of the Windows computers on my home network. (It doesn't see my "main computer", because that's Linux; I might open it to share folders in a Windows network using Samba.) I let it default to negotiating a DHCP address, and it hasn't been 24 hours yet -- so I don't know if the connection will fail tomorrow evening, after my 1440 minute lease "time-out" expires.
post #2493 of 3922
There still seems to be a very slight delay with the picture.
post #2494 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzymez View Post

I have been checking prices everyday for a 55 since September! I am coming very close to biting. I am moderately familiar with the pros / cons affiliated with this model. Just want to get more owners' feedback.

Despite those pro/cons would you guys (those that own) say you are happy with the purchase? Would you have made a different choice? I would like to hear what individuals think, and also want to hear what you think the general populace of 7600 owners feel collectively about their tv. Also if buying online, do I really have to be ready to keep swapping? Sounding like that is almost a given. That can be so annoying.

Had mine almost a month now. So far I'm happy with it. The PQ is definitely better than any other HDTV TV I've owned (LG 50" plasma, 37" LCD). HDTV technology isn't perfect yet across the board yet, so there will always be some issues with source material (i.e. crappy TV stations, or shows that refuse to or can't upgrade their content). But all premium HD sources look absolutely fantastic on this set once you get it calibrated.

I'm going to estimate that 80% of the LG edge lit LED TVs are getting some level of "flashlighting/bleeding" effect. Jury is still out as to the cause, but most have stated and I completely agree that it has ZERO impact on picture quality when there is a signal.

The magic remote (works like a mouse) is actually pretty cool and easy to use. What might annoy some... and it did me for a day or two... is that when you point to something on the screen, then go to move your thumb to a button to click/select whatever it might be... the cursor moves a little due to the motion of your hand. Sometimes this moves the cursor off the item you're trying to select, and you have to re-adjust. You get used to it, and learn to compensate pretty quickly. The ease of navigating menu's makes it worth the initial annoyance IMO.

Remember that there are how many thousands who have bought this model already? And how many truly all-out negative reviews/feedback have you read? Most of them are due to excessive flashlighting/bleeding. Maybe a few for other screen/panel problems. And then most of those end up getting resolved one way or the other. The percentage of folks that have to continually return their TV is probably pretty small. That said, the flashlighting problem did seem to be worse for models prior to Aug 2012. It's not likely that higher volume sellers are going to have those older models anymore, so your chances of getting a horrible flashlighting TV should be greatly reduced by now.

If I were looking for the 55", i'd bite from a reputable seller at 1299 or 1399, though it's probably still worth more. I wouldn't be surprised to see it on sale for this range by superbowl time. I would avoid sellers who have shady return policies that sell cheaper. It's not that they are bad necessarily, but they are probably passing some of the savings from not having to pay for return shipping, and time/effort to take these TV's back and deal with LG themselves. As long as you buy from an authorized seller, you have your warranty and can deal with LG directly to resolve any issues. So you have to weigh if that's worth the $50 - 100 you might save.

Can't stand active 3D. Passive is the only way to go at this point, so most other high end manufacturers are out. Unfortunately the Visio's don't put good processors in their TVs, so they aren't really an option for me.

The set's been on the market a while now and there aren't many reported issues with power boards/blown caps, etc.. So this is a good sign for durability. Overall assessment, has to be the best value for the dollar for 2012 and 2013 so far. Newer technology coming right around the corner though as always.
Good luck.
post #2495 of 3922
There's a TV that's been released late as far as I can tell. Around November. (Is this true?)

60LM7200

It looks like a 60" version of the 7600. 240 Hz, etc.

I was wondering about this here (in this thread) because it's very unclear how it compares. Any one know anything about whether or not the hardware is more solid than the prior hardware release dates (7600 / 8600 / etc.)

Anyone see it or know anything about it at all?
post #2496 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

There's a TV that's been released late as far as I can tell. Around November. (Is this true?)

60LM7200

It looks like a 60" version of the 7600. 240 Hz, etc.

I was wondering about this here (in this thread) because it's very unclear how it compares. Any one know anything about whether or not the hardware is more solid than the prior hardware release dates (7600 / 8600 / etc.)

Anyone see it or know anything about it at all?

everything on that tv is covered here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438854/official-lg-xxlm7200-thread

they called it vaporware, but the users say it is great....a good deal for a 60"...its basically a 60" 7600 with minor differences.
post #2497 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by rer420 View Post

everything on that tv is covered here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438854/official-lg-xxlm7200-thread

they called it vaporware, but the users say it is great....a good deal for a 60"...its basically a 60" 7600 with minor differences.


Yeah, I just found it and have been wading through it. Sorry. I should have deleted my post. It's not vaporware unless it doesn't exist as a product, which it does. It's thicker though, which gave me high hopes for a reduced flashlighting effect if they were able to make fewer concessions with the edge lighting. Further, it might well be considered a lower number than 7200 because it's the same CPU as the 7600 now forced to deal with more pixels effectively lessening performance.
post #2498 of 3922
I've read that the 55" OLED 4K is coming out in March... is that about when we should expect the rest of the 2013 line to be released as well? I don't usually follow CES so i have no idea how long it usually takes companies to release their sets once revealed.
post #2499 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post

What all options do we have for getting skype to work on our TVs?

Do we seriously have to pay out the nose for an LG webcam?

I have a really nice Logitech i'd love to use... doesn't recognize it though frown.gif

The LG webcam is only $99.

Logitech makes cameras for TV to use with Skype. But I believe they cost the same or slightly less. Given the choice, then, it'd be better to go with the OEM.
post #2500 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerOne View Post

The magic remote (works like a mouse) is actually pretty cool and easy to use. What might annoy some... and it did me for a day or two... is that when you point to something on the screen, then go to move your thumb to a button to click/select whatever it might be... the cursor moves a little due to the motion of your hand. Sometimes this moves the cursor off the item you're trying to select, and you have to re-adjust. You get used to it, and learn to compensate pretty quickly. The ease of navigating menu's makes it worth the initial annoyance IMO.

I agree with what you've said about the magic remote but I'd add two things.
1) The scroll wheel/enter button shuold be where the mute button is! The number of times I grab it naturally and press mute is too high. Feels more natural with mute on my thumb.
2) Why the hell would they not put an input button on it?!?!?!?! I get that they have their fancy little input menu but for something that is used so frequently I'd rather be able to toggle through my inputs with a button than wait for that bar to pop up, bring up the input menu and click on my choice.

Make those two changes and the magic remote is pretty strong IMO.
post #2501 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrieD View Post

Why the hell would they not put an input button on it?!?!?!?! I

AGREED!!!
post #2502 of 3922
So my 47LM7600 started powering itself off and on over and over now. Looks like a power supply issue. Put in a service call, but the appointment is 5 days out. Annoying...
post #2503 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakCrow View Post

So my 47LM7600 started powering itself off and on over and over now. Looks like a power supply issue. Put in a service call, but the appointment is 5 days out. Annoying...

There are a few posts on this rebooting thing over the past few pages in this thread, wi fi/network possibly being a factor. I have an LG 50pc1dra plasma TV and it's got a similar problem. In my case it's definitely the powerboard. My tv is out of warranty and I found this was a common problem with that model. I took off the back panel and there were several blown capacitors on the power board. Hope they didn't start using cheap capacitors again on the 7600s. That problem SHUCKS. And if the repair guy gives you the same quality power board, the problem will likely creep up again.

Anyone else getting this problem please comment.
post #2504 of 3922
Just picked up my tv today (211... model number). I am currently on firmware 04.02.87. Is there an advantage to updating my firmware (I got the update automatically once I set up the tv, i denied it). Any advice from current owners for tweaking or picture settings for a bright room or any advice in general?

TIA

Jeff
post #2505 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithng80 View Post

Just picked up my tv today (211... model number). I am currently on firmware 04.02.87. Is there an advantage to updating my firmware (I got the update automatically once I set up the tv, i denied it). Any advice from current owners for tweaking or picture settings for a bright room or any advice in general?

TIA

Jeff

You haven't read through this thread, have you?
post #2506 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlo View Post

You haven't read through this thread, have you?

In it's entirety, no. I assume I should start there?
post #2507 of 3922
post #2508 of 3922
Service Tech came out and looked at my set today and said yep, you need a new panel... so he's putting in a request on Monday.

I could have just gone through Dell to return/replace it but that probably would be a HUGE pain in the butt considering the headache i got just ordering the thing in the first place so i figured i'd just use the LG warranty.
post #2509 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post

Service Tech came out and looked at my set today and said yep, you need a new panel... so he's putting in a request on Monday.

I could have just gone through Dell to return/replace it but that probably would be a HUGE pain in the butt considering the headache i got just ordering the thing in the first place so i figured i'd just use the LG warranty.

Does that warranty then lessen your coverage for what else may happen down the road?
post #2510 of 3922
What the heck? I came on here because my TV started doing the rebooting tonight. It's gotta be crappy new firmware, this wouldn't happen all of the sudden. This will teach me to ever update the firmware again. Well, once this is fixed. I accidentally posted in the 6700 series thread first because the newest post was from someone having the same problem that started tonight. I'd be surprised if power supplies were dieing all of the sudden.
post #2511 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Smith View Post

After searching the thread for similar issues, which I should have done first, I'm going to disable all the internet connections when I get home and see if that helps. I did notice that it started around the same time I set up my Plex server on my HTPC. I don't even use the apps or anything on the TV since I have my HTPC, so disabling the internet on it will be no issue for me.

Hmmm, this sounds like my situation somewhat. I updated my firmware a few days ago, no problems yesterday or today until an hour ago, when I launched Plex on my Mac Mini. Was also using an Apple BT trackpad for moving the pointer around. It didn't happen immediately, but after a few minutes the TV got stuck rebooting. The way my system is connected, the mini is plugged into input 2 on an LG HTIB, and that HTIB is plugged into input 1 of the TV. I hit the "home" button on the HTIB so that the video switched to the HTIB homepage instead of the video from the mini, in case it was something weird from the computer that was doing it, but it still rebooted. I'll have to do some further experiments to see what happens. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I tried viewing my mini since I did the firmware update a few days ago.

EDIT: OK, you got me pointed at the workaround. I think it's an issue with the new firmware and Plex. I found that the problem went away with my mini sleeping. Waking it back up, the rebooting started again. So I took my TV off of the wi-fi, and it works fine with the mini now. This was tested with the TV on and no video signal to the TV, so it was strictly the wi-fi data that was doing it.

I couldn't find a way to remove added networks from the TV, so without digging in the manual, I did it the only other way...I changed the password on the TV side to an incorrect password so that it couldn't connect. smile.gif

I can live with this, because between all of my other devices, the only use the TV got from being online was firmware updates.

I'll have to let LG know. I'm assuming it's just Plex at this point since we both...well, you didn't say what you were using for an HTPC, I just assumed Windows. Is that correct Chuck? I know nothing has changed on my computer so the new firmware is still the main culprit in my mind.
Edited by Bitgod - 1/11/13 at 11:31pm
post #2512 of 3922
Netflix has stopped working on my tv. Still works fine on my iPhone, iPad, MacBook and Netflix 24/7 phone Support was unable to resolve the problem. Anyone else? Any ideas?
post #2513 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithng80 View Post

In it's entirety, no. I assume I should start there?

Use search this thread feature for "cnet settings". I think it was posted just a few pages back for someone else also.
post #2514 of 3922
I'm having the same rebooting issue after upgrading the firmware the other night! My TV will not stay on.. the TV reboots itself after 10 seconds. I don't even have enough time to get into the menu area. What can I possibly do?
post #2515 of 3922
It looks like this new firmware has completely made my 55LM7600 useless. I can't get it to stay on long enough to do anything with it. Is there any possible way to restore the firmware to an earlier version, if the TV won't stay powered on long enough? It continuously power cycles itself. I'm new to this and looking for ideas. frown.gif
post #2516 of 3922
Wow I discovered that by turning PLEX off on my Mac.. and unplugging the network cord on my LG TV on the back, stopped the TV from rebooting!
post #2517 of 3922
Does anyone know if you can rollback the firmware on the 7600?
post #2518 of 3922
sounds like plex is the problem....the same issue was happening with other models and plex was the culprit, maybe just turn it off for now until its fixed with an update.
im just gonna use my computer to connect to the internet on an hdmi input. i find browsing through the tv and the apps really slow compared to my computer anyway...glad i didnt buy this tv for its so called "smart features".
post #2519 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullwave View Post

Does anyone know if you can rollback the firmware on the 7600?

how you tried the "initial settings" button in the options panel, under the little suitcase tab.....not sure if that will rollback the firmware.
post #2520 of 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by rer420 View Post

sounds like plex is the problem....the same issue was happening with other models and plex was the culprit, maybe just turn it off for now until its fixed with an update.
im just gonna use my computer to connect to the internet on an hdmi input. i find browsing through the tv and the apps really slow compared to my computer anyway...glad i didnt buy this tv for its so called "smart features".

Agreed. I don't actually use any of the smart features because I have a PC hooked up, but if I did I'd be a little disappointed. They move verrrrrry slowly.


I decided to try a speedtest on my PC and my TV. The results were very similar in the Mbps down and up, but the ping on my PC was 8ms and on the TV it was 32ms!
I`m not exactly sure the implications of this, but I don`t think it explains why youtube videos seem to load so much slower on the TV.
Edited by CorrieD - 1/12/13 at 10:23am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG XXLM7600 Owners Thread...