or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › MY 7 year old Sony WEGA 60 Died this weekend
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MY 7 year old Sony WEGA 60 Died this weekend

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Short story is: MY 7 year old Sony LCD WEGA 60 Died this weekend

I hear I can try the bulb or get a repairman, and I almost tried. Unless someone really thinks it might work I will just get an upgrade. I am really interested in the Samsung 60 smart LED, however I see that the 55 inch is way less and might compromise to save that 500-1000 US dollars.
I was told that my 8 year old denon will need to be replaced to accommodate the 1.4 HDMI interface if I want to run it all correctly. Is this true? I found a 500 Onkyo that looks okay to do the job. I have: Comcast Cable box, Old DVD player (will upgrade to bluray upon advise) 8 Year old denon and NO Video Games as of yet.

Do I have to upgrade my Denon to make it all work right? How will it all hook up together if I want it to be set correctly? I also have great speakers which are no problem.
Any other advice to sway me to the 60 inch or to a better/cheaper Receiver?
Where are the cheapest best places to buy, amazon? I don't mindusing the Internet to buy.
I know this is alot of Q's I just want to make it all work for under 3k.

Thanks in advance!!
post #2 of 9
Thread Starter 
Am I in the right place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmic View Post

Short story is: MY 7 year old Sony LCD WEGA 60 Died this weekend

I hear I can try the bulb or get a repairman, and I almost tried. Unless someone really thinks it might work I will just get an upgrade. I am really interested in the Samsung 60 smart LED, however I see that the 55 inch is way less and might compromise to save that 500-1000 US dollars.
I was told that my 8 year old denon will need to be replaced to accommodate the 1.4 HDMI interface if I want to run it all correctly. Is this true? I found a 500 Onkyo that looks okay to do the job. I have: Comcast Cable box, Old DVD player (will upgrade to bluray upon advise) 8 Year old denon and NO Video Games as of yet.

Do I have to upgrade my Denon to make it all work right? How will it all hook up together if I want it to be set correctly? I also have great speakers which are no problem.
Any other advice to sway me to the 60 inch or to a better/cheaper Receiver?
Where are the cheapest best places to buy, amazon? I don't mindusing the Internet to buy.
I know this is alot of Q's I just want to make it all work for under 3k.

Thanks in advance!!
post #3 of 9
Call an authorized Sony shop and get an estimate.

HDMI 1.4 is not an issue (if you get a new TV), unless you want/need ARC.
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Call an authorized Sony shop and get an estimate.

HDMI 1.4 is not an issue (if you get a new TV), unless you want/need ARC.

any other tips from anyone?
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmic View Post

any other tips from anyone?

Define 'died'. Depending on the nature of the failure Sony may be willing to offer you a discounted replacement even if the set is out of warranty. I'd suggest going to the 'I have a Defective Sony TV' page on Facebook and speaking with one of the Sony reps there.

I should add that I assume the TV is rear projection since you say 'bulb' but then you also mention it being a LCD so I'm a bit confused. The above advice might work with a flat panel but most of the offers are for rear projection.
post #6 of 9
Go to this forum and they can help you.
http://www.agoraquest.com/

If it's got the dreaded blue blotches then it's not worth fixing unless your handy or you can find a repair shop that's willing to the light engine (optical block) and send it out to be reworked. Since it could take two weeks and the set will be apart for that entire time waiting they may not want to do it. Other than that parts are pretty easy to come by and pretty cheap. If you're handy you can find easy step by step guides to how to repair almost anything yourself.

Of course if you're looking for a reason to buy a new set then go for it. FYI the places that rebuild the optical blocks usually pay something like $75 for them even if they don't work. They just rework them and keep them on a shelf.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

Define 'died'. Depending on the nature of the failure Sony may be willing to offer you a discounted replacement even if the set is out of warranty. I'd suggest going to the 'I have a Defective Sony TV' page on Facebook and speaking with one of the Sony reps there.

I should add that I assume the TV is rear projection since you say 'bulb' but then you also mention it being a LCD so I'm a bit confused. The above advice might work with a flat panel but most of the offers are for rear projection.

It's a 3 chip lcd based rptv. Used red, green, blue tiny lcd panels "stacked" so light from the projection lamp passed through all 3 before hitting a series of mirrors and lenses to project the image onto the back of the screen. Hitachi and Panasonic made similar sets. Different tech than the LCOS SXRD sets which bounced light off the surfaces of the 3 color chips. Sony never made dlp rear projection.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmic View Post

any other tips from anyone?

You won't need to replace your receiver if you get a BD player with dual HDMI out. It would be a lot cheaper and just as good if your receiver decodes HD signals. You can look into the Panasonic DMP-BDT310 or upcoming DMP-BDT500. That's the route I went with my Onkyo 805.
post #9 of 9
Sounds like a bulb issue. I used to sell those TV's. Nice at the time. Try the bulb. I wonder, however, if you try the bulb and discover that it is not the issue, will the bulb be returnable?

Good luck,

Cold
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › MY 7 year old Sony WEGA 60 Died this weekend