or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Biggest myths in audio that tick you off/General things in audio that tick you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Biggest myths in audio that tick you off/General things in audio that tick you off. - Page 12

post #331 of 998
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post


Somehow Karl Rove comes to mind. OK, nevermind!

Bahahaha Oh, how I love Mr. Rove! -.-

Did you think about my offer Nethawk?
post #332 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post

Bahahaha Oh, how I love Mr. Rove! -.-

Did you think about my offer Nethawk?

For about half a second
post #333 of 998
post #334 of 998
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post


For about half a second

I think it's a good deal!
post #335 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by john1528golf View Post

Don't forget the cooker http://www.audioexcellenceaz.com/cablecooker.htm

I wonder what Kal has to say about that claim.
post #336 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

I had several half speed mastered albums and they definitely had much more range than the average cd.

I've heard a few such vinyl recordings and I don't doubt what you here. But the greater range is because of the care put into the mastering and the pressing. Same master and care with CD would yield no worse than equal SQ--better if the original master had more dynamic range than vinyl.

I have hundreds of SACDs and DVD-As. I have a number of the same titles on CD. In some cases, the SACD/DVD-A version sounds notably better, even after level matching (2 channel). In other cases, the formats are indistinguishable. It comes down to the mastering job. Most SACD, DVD-A and recent vinyl pressings benefit from an attention to detail at the mastering stage that allows each format to shine. Sadly, that has not been the case with many, many CD releases in the past 15+ years. That is not, however, a flaw with the CD format but rather indicative of poor decision making for audio fidelity.

I know that vinyl can sound better than CD. It's just that the reason for that better sound lies elsewhere than the vinyl format itself.
post #337 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

We are talking about myths in the audio industry that tick us off.

I think you should use cold water to get the blood out of your shirt. It is cold water, right? I think hot water causes it to clot and that makes it harder to remove. Try a pet stain remover, it works well on blood.
post #338 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteos View Post

Brilliant, thanks for the laugh... That guy is clearly taking the piss

"Our New Product!!The Quantum Temple Bell is an extensively treated Feng Shui Tibetan hand bell that improves audio and video quality when it is rung in "strategic locations" around the room; these strategic locations are identified in our instructions for the bell. The bell operates by mind-matter interaction as opposed to affecting acoustic waves in the room..."

HAHAHA! They are saying, using spiffy sounding words, that the bell does not actually do anything but make you THINK your system sounds better.

The power of the placebo.
post #339 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

I've heard a few such vinyl recordings and I don't doubt what you here. But the greater range is because of the care put into the mastering and the pressing. Same master and care with CD would yield no worse than equal SQ--better if the original master had more dynamic range than vinyl.

I have hundreds of SACDs and DVD-As. I have a number of the same titles on CD. In some cases, the SACD/DVD-A version sounds notably better, even after level matching (2 channel). In other cases, the formats are indistinguishable. It comes down to the mastering job. Most SACD, DVD-A and recent vinyl pressings benefit from an attention to detail at the mastering stage that allows each format to shine. Sadly, that has not been the case with many, many CD releases in the past 15+ years. That is not, however, a flaw with the CD format but rather indicative of poor decision making for audio fidelity.

I know that vinyl can sound better than CD. It's just that the reason for that better sound lies elsewhere than the vinyl format itself.

Yes, the mastering process definitely has a lot to do with it. I guess I'm referring to all things being equal. But the nature of analog vs digital is where vinyl can exceed cd's. But I'm referring to the conversion process from the analogue to digital realm. Cd's slice the analog signal into digital bits and you lose a small bit of the signal in the digital conversion. SACD's and DVD audio slice it into much smaller pieces so you retain much more of the nature of the original analogue signal. The big advantage of the of any digital format is the lack of noise from the dirt or hiss produced by the recording media. Although, I don't know how well the ultra expensive record cleaners perform in reducing the pops and clicks from the dirt. I've never been able to afford one!
post #340 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Yes, the mastering process definitely has a lot to do with it. I guess I'm referring to all things being equal. But the nature of analog vs digital is where vinyl can exceed cd's. But I'm referring to the conversion process from the analogue to digital realm. Cd's slice the analog signal into digital bits and you lose a small bit of the signal in the digital conversion. SACD's and DVD audio slice it into much smaller pieces so you retain much more of the nature of the original analogue signal.

That's not the way it works and you don't lose anything. Read up on the Nyquist Theorem.
post #341 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

But the nature of analog vs digital is where vinyl can exceed cd's.

That's the oddiophile line, but it doesn't hold water. Vinyl sounds different not because it's more accurate but because it's less accurate, and adds a lot of coloration. Coloration sounds good. Digital doesn't add coloration, so it's less pleasing to the ear. The simple solution if you want the sound of vinyl from a CD is to record it on vinyl first and then transcribe it to CD. When you do the CD cannot be distinguished from the record. That is, unless you're an oddiophile and are aware that it's a CD. While oddiophiles make claim to having 'golden ears' the reality is that they're the worst when it comes to listening with their eyes...and wallets.
post #342 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Cd's slice the analog signal into digital bits and you lose a small bit of the signal in the digital conversion.

Is this really accurate or is this something that audiophiles parrot? If it is accurate, just how much are we talking about?
post #343 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

I wonder what Kal has to say about that claim.

I think you can guess it.
post #344 of 998
Even those who cut the vinyl know of it's limitations.
post #345 of 998
General things that bother me;
1. People who misinterpret accurate measurements.
2. Companies that publish misleading or "massaged" measurements, and make the accurate "revealing" measurements of others look bad.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post

I agree!

However, the only ID company I have seen that gives enough info (measurement wise) is Philharmonic audio. If I'm going to buy blind, I want to be knee deep in measurments! A single FR graph (on most sites) is not enough for me to buy blind!

Most ID companies can and will provide whatever measurements you desire along with detailed interpretation information, the reason our site, and I'm sure others are not plastered with measurements is for mainly the reasons above, for us anyway.
post #346 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

Is this really accurate or is this something that audiophiles parrot? If it is accurate, just how much are we talking about?

It's completely inaccurate although I wouldn't call it something that audiophiles parrot but rather a misunderstanding.
post #347 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

Well, Home Depot wire is just as good as audiophile wire and while being an engineer does not make someone an audio expert it should give them an advantage when it comes to actually understanding how the audio electronics works.

Fortunately many of the people that create and record the music you listen to don't agree with you or your ilk.
post #348 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by john1528golf View Post

Don't forget the cooker http://www.audioexcellenceaz.com/cablecooker.htm

Wow, brilliant! It even has hex shaped binding posts! Will I need a separate unit to cook each of my cables?

Maybe I'll start off by putting everything in a crock pot overnight, and see how that goes.
post #349 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffmeister View Post

Fortunately many of the people that create and record the music you listen to don't agree with you or your ilk.

Since this is a highly subjective hobby/profession with many opinions both good and bad, 'ilk' in its negative connotation might not be the best fit. So that I can understand better, what are your specific qualifications that lead to your own highly subjective opinion?
post #350 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffmeister View Post

Fortunately many of the people that create and record the music you listen to don't agree with you or your ilk.

If I'm reading this correctly, you believe that the people who create and record music think wires make a difference. Most (those with engineering backgrounds) that I have met do not. They may use expensive wire, but they are usually freebies so that the wire company can mention the use within their marketing materials.

And if you're suggesting that musicians on the whole know anything about audio science, with a few notable exceptions, this is also a false premise. I have a number of acquaintances and friends who are both professional and amateur artists. While most are knowledgeable regarding music creation, few know much if anything about music reproduction.

Unless you have evidence (the first) that wires make a difference, you should rethink your stance as there is plenty of science that supports the other position - that wires don't make a difference unless faulty.
post #351 of 998
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

General things that bother me;
1. People who misinterpret accurate measurements.
2. Companies that publish misleading or "massaged" measurements, and make the accurate "revealing" measurements of others look bad.

I agree completely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

Most ID companies can and will provide whatever measurements you desire along with detailed interpretation information, the reason our site, and I'm sure others are not plastered with measurements is for mainly the reasons above, for us anyway.

I don't blame you. That's completely fair. They don't necessarily need to be posted on the site. As long as the company is willing to provide them, I have no issue with them not being placed on the site.

BTW, I think your Omega speaker looks incredibly awesome!

I noticed you use the CSS Planar 2 in the F 8.2 P. I just purchased a pair to be used in my DIY HT speaker! What do you think of it? I assume good things since you use it in your design! :P
post #352 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffmeister View Post

Fortunately many of the people that create and record the music you listen to don't agree with you or your ilk.

Most of the people who create and record the music you listen to do agree with him and are of his ilk. So are those of us who create the gear that said music is listened to on.
post #353 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

Is this really accurate or is this something that audiophiles parrot? If it is accurate, just how much are we talking about?

Your not missing that much from the analogue signal. It has to do with calculus and determining the area under a curved line. If I recall correctly calculus can only approximate the actual area under a curve because it cannot calculate it exactly. This is what happens when you digitize an analogue signal. The smaller you carve up the are under the curve the more accurately you can approximate that analogue signal when you digitize it. So the higher the sampling rate, the better the resolution. Whether that's audible or not is debatable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_rate
post #354 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Most of the people who create and record the music you listen to do agree with him and are of his ilk. So are those of us who create the gear that said music is listened to on.

If what you say is true, then certainly you could name some of the recording studios and recording artists that use Home Depot wire.
post #355 of 998
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffmeister View Post

If what you say is true, then certainly you could name some of the recording studios and recording artists that use Home Depot wire.

If i'm not mistaken Earl Geddes demonstrates his Abbey with a cheap receiver and cheap speaker wire.

Email Geddes at:

Gedlee@gedlee.com

Ask him what he thinks of expensive wire. (:
post #356 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffmeister View Post

If what you say is true, then certainly you could name some of the recording studios and recording artists that use Home Depot wire.

How about you provide a list of recording studios that bought expensive speaker wires, and the science behind doing so.

Note, that I asked for a list of those who "bought", not those who were "given".
post #357 of 998
A few things like cable elevators are some of the most insane ideas that I've ever heard. Insane and genius at the same time simply because at anywhere from $24-150 or more...PEOPLE BUY THEM!!!!!

Here's a couple more.

http://www.audiotweaks.com/tweaks/tweak_12.htm

This one looked good until I saw that its uses include putting them under D/A converters and pre-amps. It's a good cheap way for smaller subwoofer isolation if you want that.

http://www.audiotweaks.com/tweaks/tweak_16.htm

Another sand bag tweak. Place the sand bags on TOP of your cd player for...
"gives a "heavier, and more centered" sound, reduces sympathetic vibration of the machine, resulting in decreased percentage of music lost through electron transmission".

Amazing.

http://www.audiotweaks.com/tweaks/tweak_66.htm/
This one uses 35 mm film cans.

"Use the film cans at the ends of the cables. Experiment with some or many." "The application of the film cans lowers the noise floor of the system so there is more detail. They also smooth out the highs."

If anyone wants a good laugh I suggest heading over to that site and have a look at some of the tweaks that are submitted. Some are incredible. I had and idea long ago for audiophile grade stuffed animals to be placed around your room. Sad part about it is, as much of a joke as that is, it would do better than all the other tweaks I just listed because it would help with reflections in the room. Only on very very high frequencies but it would at least do something. I really don't believe that those people realize how fast electricity actually moves.
post #358 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffmeister View Post

If what you say is true, then certainly you could name some of the recording studios and recording artists that use Home Depot wire.


http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/c...-cable-faceoff

Actual measurements between different DIY cables and some store bought. And the winner is...A DIY cable from LOWES! Not by opinion, but by actual measurements.
post #359 of 998
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post


http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/c...-cable-faceoff

Actual measurements between different DIY cables and some store bought. And the winner is...A DIY cable from LOWES! Not by opinion, but by actual measurements.

WINNING! Lol
post #360 of 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/c...-cable-faceoff

Actual measurements between different DIY cables and some store bought. And the winner is...A DIY cable from LOWES! Not by opinion, but by actual measurements.

"Surprisingly the Monster Cables performance was outclassed by extension cord"

My day has just been made. Love it!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Biggest myths in audio that tick you off/General things in audio that tick you off.