or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Walmart Entertainment’s Disc-to-Digital Service Powered by VUDU
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Walmart Entertainment’s Disc-to-Digital Service Powered by VUDU - Page 10

post #271 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbear View Post

I use a Roku....no Vudu available, can I still use thier service?

Sure. You can view Vudu movies (rentals, purchases, and disc-to-digitals) on an ordinary computer, although it will be standard def only. Or get a second device that uses Vudu.
post #272 of 326
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbear View Post

I use a Roku....no Vudu available, can I still use thier service? I have the same problem with movies i've purchased that include a digital copy, they wan't you to use either ultraviolet (thats vudu, right?) or itunes? or transfer to computor which I don't want.........do I have any other options?? thanks for any replys

Ultraviolet is not solely for Vudu. For some movies you have to redeem Ultraviolet thru Flixster or the studio like Sony or Universal.
post #273 of 326
Vudu is supported on Roku. I just discovered this service within the past week, when I went through my blu-ray collection and decided to redeem my UV digital copies I had. I only had 4 movies with a code sadly, but I now have 111 movies in my UV account from D2D and can access via Vudu! (only after doing plenty of research on UV and the platform..)

I'm hoping in the future more companies will support it as a player, imagine if Microsoft for the Xbox video platform allowed you to link your UV account and then you could download and watch your movies via there platform. I hope this really takes off so then your not stuck to any single platform like... *cough* iTunes *cough*. The potential for this is awesome. Also this is now starting to have TV Series support so it could only get better in the future.

I currently have a 14+ TB server at home and have built a few htpcs, but I still chase the perfect setup. My HTPC with XBMC is good but not good enough for my standards. I think UV has the potential to solve my problem in the future.

Also I've noticed you can now order movies via amazon or walmart that were already released on blu-ray but the new disks come with UV. I have a small collection as it stands, but I will be converting every movie that I have (assuming the others are eventually allowed) and be buying movies only with UV.

Just my thoughts....
Edited by RandomNinjaAtk - 10/11/12 at 11:52am
post #274 of 326
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post

Ultraviolet is not solely for Vudu. For some movies you have to redeem Ultraviolet thru Flixster or the studio like Sony or Universal.

Update. It looks like any/all UV movie code regardless of studio can be redeemed thru Vudu.
post #275 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post

Update. It looks like any/all UV movie code regardless of studio can be redeemed thru Vudu.

Is it better to redeem all codes at Vudu or is it better to redeem at the site in the instructions?

I posted this question on the vudu forums, but not yet moderator approved, because I was reading that many times some codes would only redeem a SD copy vs HD. I'm new to this so I don't have much experience redeeming yet. But I've order a bunch of films with codes and plan to redeem them when they arrive.

I'm just trying to ensure I have the best experience regardless of who the provider is... I'm assuming once CFF files are available, that I should be able to get them from VUDU if they were my retailer...
post #276 of 326
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNinjaAtk View Post

Is it better to redeem all codes at Vudu or is it better to redeem at the site in the instructions?
I posted this question on the vudu forums, but not yet moderator approved, because I was reading that many times some codes would only redeem a SD copy vs HD. I'm new to this so I don't have much experience redeeming yet. But I've order a bunch of films with codes and plan to redeem them when they arrive.
I'm just trying to ensure I have the best experience regardless of who the provider is... I'm assuming once CFF files are available, that I should be able to get them from VUDU if they were my retailer...

I used to redeem solely from the Studio sheet instructions and Flixster but I prefer to redeem from Vudu and have been getting all the correct HDX versions from Blu-ray as of lately. I'm never going to watch a movie on Flixster or Sony or Universal or Paramount, etc.

I just redeemed "Contagion" on Flixster because there was no redeem link on Vudu. Contagion is not available to rent or buy on Vudu at the moment. In the last week I redeemed all these via Vudu and got HDX:

Dark Shadows
21 Jump Street
Rock Of Ages
Safe House
Snow White & The Huntsman
Pirates: Band of Misfits
MI: Ghost Protocol
Hunger Games
Battleship
Cabin In The Woods

However, no one is getting HDX for Scarface Blu-ray code.
post #277 of 326
Thanks for the information. I have a bunch of new releases pre-ordered with ultraviolet codes. Also I'm going through and buying cheap blu-rays that are D2D compatible. I can get a lot of movies for under $10.00 a disk from walmart and then for $2.00 more, upgrade and have UV copies. This is for movies that never came with codes though. Some movies that were released on blu-ray before (like the spiderman series, I don't own) are now being re-released it seems with UV codes and their rather cheap! (around 12 - 14$ a disk)...
post #278 of 326
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNinjaAtk View Post

Thanks for the information. I have a bunch of new releases pre-ordered with ultraviolet codes. Also I'm going through and buying cheap blu-rays that are D2D compatible. I can get a lot of movies for under $10.00 a disk from walmart and then for $2.00 more, upgrade and have UV copies. This is for movies that never came with codes though. Some movies that were released on blu-ray before (like the spiderman series, I don't own) are now being re-released it seems with UV codes and their rather cheap! (around 12 - 14$ a disk)...

Suggestion. Unless you are building up your BD collection and really want the Spider-man set on Blu-ray buy used DVD's from www.gohastings.com and then take to Walmart for D2D. Spider-man 1, 2 & 3 used DVD are $1.99 each with $0.98 shipping each. Total is $2.97 each. So you spend $8.91 for all 3 used DVDs and then spend $15 at Walmart for D2D. Total spent is $23.91 or $7.97 each.

Buying all 3 used on blu-ray is slightly higher. Total from Hastings plus $2 D2D at Walmart is $29.10 or or $9.70 each.

All three New on BD with the UV codes from Walmart.com is $38.88 or $12.86 each.

Hastings has frequest sales of 30% or 40% off those used prices from time to time.
post #279 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post

Suggestion. Unless you are building up your BD collection and really want the Spider-man set on Blu-ray buy used DVD's from www.gohastings.com and then take to Walmart for D2D. Spider-man 1, 2 & 3 used DVD are $1.99 each with $0.98 shipping each. Total is $2.97 each. So you spend $8.91 for all 3 used DVDs and then spend $15 at Walmart for D2D. Total spent is $23.91 or $7.97 each.
Buying all 3 used on blu-ray is slightly higher. Total from Hastings plus $2 D2D at Walmart is $29.10 or or $9.70 each.
All three New on BD with the UV codes from Walmart.com is $38.88 or $12.86 each.
Hastings has frequest sales of 30% or 40% off those used prices from time to time.

Not a bad idea, I actually considered that but hadn't heard of the site you listed. I'd prefer to have the blu-rays because I can make my own rips in full quality so if UV becomes a complete failure, at least I will own all the movies in the highest quality possible and can simply make my own rips (as I've done in the past for HTPC usage). I'm hoping UV doesn't fail because after a lot of research on UNV and knowing its potential, it could very well be a killer system I've been looking for... So I'm cheering it on, but it's nice to have the highest quality possible for backup and ripping myself if needed...
post #280 of 326
Thread Starter 
NEWS: HD & HDX NOW AVAILABLE VIA PC/MAC!

http://www.vudu.com/support.html?supportPage=answers/detail/a_id/34

"Yes! You can now watch many movies and TV shows in HD and HDX on www.vudu.com. To see if a movie is available to stream in HD or HDX on your computer, click on your movie of choice and you will see a purple banner at the top that says "HDX and HD Now available on PC/MAC computers!" If you do not see this banner, then you can still stream the movie, but only in SD."

hdhdx_purple_banner_v2.png

WOW! HDX Downloads also available now!
Edited by E55 KEV - 11/12/12 at 1:48pm
post #281 of 326
Thanks!!!
post #282 of 326
Unfortunately I can't play the HDX stream on my main PC. It needs to support HDCP and only two of my four monitors have that. So I guess it won't play unless I switch the two monitors out. The Netflix app with Windows 8 also won't play the videos for the same reason.
post #283 of 326
I can't get HDX download to work. If I try to do it in Chrome it starts installing Adobe Air (already installed and used by Pandora) fails and won't go any further. In IE9 it installed VUDU to Go and when I asked it to download one of the Prometheus deleted scenes it brings up the VUDU to Go dialog which tells me that I don't have any downloads and when I choose the "My Purchases" tab Prometheus doesn't show up. Prometheus is the only thing I own that it will stream to PC in HDX. I "own" a 10-minute preview of The Debt which can be played in HDX on other devices but only in SD on the PC.

EDIT: I finally got something HDX to download (a free preview of a television show). First it told me that I had too many devices activated, so I dropped my Xbox from the list; then it told me that my display wasn't HDCP-capable rolleyes.gif. It's an HDTV connected via HDMI but I suppose that the motherboard graphics of this PC doesn't support HDCP. Whatever.

HDX in the web browser player's not bad, but of course you can't get digital surround out of that.

EDIT EDIT: I got that "won't play this in HDX due to copyright restrictions and your display/output not supporting HDCP" message for one thing in the web browser player. Curiously it was one of the extra features of the Prometheus package ("The Engineer Speaks") when it had no problem with me playing the actual movie in HDX in the web browser player or the other extra feature ("The Final Battle").
post #284 of 326
I got HDX to work from Chrome without any issue. I just had to disconnect my two monitors that are non HDCP compliant. I didn't try it with Internet Explorer though. I didn't see where my PC counted as any of my five devices. I'm always at the maximum of five devices since I have over a dozen VUDU devices and need to keep shuffling them around. But being at the max did not affect the playback from my PC.

I really wish the device limit would at least be doubled. That would make things much easier for me.
post #285 of 326
I have had no issue streaming an HDX copy to my PC, but have yet to try and download one. It hasn't been an issue in the past though. I'm still waiting for CFF, that's the download that really matters in my opinion. This is a nice way to supplement that until CFF is available.
post #286 of 326
Thread Starter 
No more trips to Walmart for Disc-2-Digital. D2D now from the comfort of home:

http://www.cinemanow.com/disc_to_digital
post #287 of 326
Every disc I try on Cinema Now says it's not available for D2D conversion. Even though they are available for conversion on Vudu.

Edit: I don't know why it wasn't working before, but it's working now. And it showed up on Vudu within a few seconds.
Edited by aaronwt - 12/20/12 at 10:53pm
post #288 of 326
When you link your cinemanow with uv do the movies you add through disc to digital on cinemanow get added to your VUDU acct too???

I use vudu and have 144 d2d movies
post #289 of 326
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by siordia View Post

When you link your cinemanow with uv do the movies you add through disc to digital on cinemanow get added to your VUDU acct too???
I use vudu and have 144 d2d movies

YES. With the exception of some movies that CinemaNow does not have the rights too yet. Just like all UV movies are not on Flixster.
post #290 of 326
I got one movie last night from Cinemanow that's not on vudu in HD (Life As A House) and it looked like absolute crap. frown.gif So so many encoding problems.
post #291 of 326
Just heard about this. How do they verify the disc? Anybody been using this with any success?
post #292 of 326
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbear View Post

Just heard about this. How do they verify the disc? Anybody been using this with any success?

If youre referring to the D2D Home service - your DVD movie disc is verified from your computer's DVD or Blu-ray player. There is success with some reported errors of not verifying their disc or receiving an SD copy when HD was paid for. CinemaNow says this service is still a Beta software. VUDU has not released their version of D2D Home yet.
post #293 of 326
I purchased two SD to HD movies from CinemaNow the first week they offered it. They both showed up in My Library on Vudu.

mark
post #294 of 326
Vudu has launched an open beta of its home D2D service:

http://www.vudu.com/in_home_disc_to_digital.html?KWID=In_Home_Disc_Digital_Beta_013113

I converted some older DVDs to HDX, and it worked flawlessly. They seem to have a much broader selection than CInemaNow, including quite a few movies in HD that have not been released on Blu-ray (e.g. I converted one of my favorite black comedies, "After Hours" by Martin Scorsese smile.gif).
post #295 of 326
Thanks!!! This is what I've been waiting for.
post #296 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

Vudu has launched an open beta of its home D2D service:

http://www.vudu.com/in_home_disc_to_digital.html?KWID=In_Home_Disc_Digital_Beta_013113

I converted some older DVDs to HDX, and it worked flawlessly. They seem to have a much broader selection than CInemaNow, including quite a few movies in HD that have not been released on Blu-ray (e.g. I converted one of my favorite black comedies, "After Hours" by Martin Scorsese smile.gif).

All of the movies I wanted to convert were either "not recognized" or "not available". A huge disappointment for me...
post #297 of 326
I just converted several titles. A much, much better experience than when I tried it with CinemaNow.
post #298 of 326
I just converted one too. Really easy, and it instantly added to the few ultraviolet movies I had. I think this will be a great place to build a collection, one that can be streamed or downloaded to just about any device, and wont be limited to one platform, (not tied to apple) a nice open system!
post #299 of 326
Thanks for the heads-up on the Beta! I just loaded / converted 3 standard DVDs to HDX for $15 -- took all of 5 minutes, and all three already appear in my Vudu account.

Edit: Just purchased HDX versions of 5 more movies; 2 discs weren't recognized. These are all titles I had previously confirmed were available generally - that is not universal of course. The discs not recognized were both "anniversary" editions or special editions of older titles. Still, 7 attempts and 5 successes in less than 15 minutes is pretty cool. I guess now I am going to have watch one of these badboys through VuDu later today. End Edit
Edited by Catt99 - 2/2/13 at 10:30am
post #300 of 326
A few more observations:

- It seems the selection for this program is the same as for the "physical" D2D through Walmart. You can check if a movie is eligible without loading the disc here: http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html

- The service sometimes doesn't recognize a disc correctly. For example, I tried to convert Batman (Tim Burton version) and it identified the DVD as Beetlejuice

- Be careful if you need Ultraviolet (e.g. if you plan to download the movie to an iPad via the Flixster app). A few movies are eligible for D2D but not Ultraviolet-enabled (e.g. the unrated version of "Live Free or Die Hard"), so they can only be watched on Vudu.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Walmart Entertainment’s Disc-to-Digital Service Powered by VUDU