or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Can't DIY? Here's an option...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can't DIY? Here's an option... - Page 5

post #121 of 133
Thread Starter 
For those following this thread or new to it, I can no longer recommend Elemental Designs as an option at this time to build enclosures. There are just too many outstanding problems with this company with warranty and fulfillment issues. It's a very sad situation for those affected, and I hope that they get their issues resolved. I will be renaming (removing eD from title) and editing this thread. The main purpose of this thread was to provide a DIY option to non-DIY folks. With the right company, it's possible to get DIY performance at a price somewhere between DIY and Internet Direct. I'll continue to look for companies and options to help make this a viable option. If you know of some, please post here or send me a PM.
post #122 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

For those following this thread or new to it, I can no longer recommend Elemental Designs as an option at this time to build enclosures. There are just too many outstanding problems with this company with warranty and fulfillment issues. It's a very sad situation for those affected, and I hope that they get their issues resolved. I will be renaming (removing eD from title) and editing this thread. The main purpose of this thread was to provide a DIY option to non-DIY folks. With the right company, it's possible to get DIY performance at a price somewhere between DIY and Internet Direct. I'll continue to look for companies and options to help make this a viable option. If you know of some, please post here or send me a PM.

Class act
post #123 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the MFW15s and don't know that much about them. I believe they are ported? I remember one AVS member who upgraded from the MFW15 to the eD A7S-450, and seemed to think it was a significant upgrade. If that were to be the case in your room (I used to own the eD A7s-450), you are in for a huge upgrade!I believe 1 FTW21 is almost 3 times the displacement of 1 a7s! From a SQ perspective, it's not even a battle. The FTW21s have so much more impact and ULF capability. I didn't think I could improve much over my eD system. I was flat to 10hz with them....when I finally dialed my FTW21 system together, I was shocked at the difference! Very happy with them...How big is your room? Is it sealed?I would put the FTWs in the locations of your room that get you the flattest response and deepest extension. I would then place the MFWs nearfield and run them around 3db lower (in total) relative to the FTWs. This way your FTWs are doing most of the work and your MFWs can provide you the tactile feel.Do you have an external EQ? You're likely going to need one (with variable phase adjustment) in order to get ported and sealed to play nice together. You'll also need some measurement gear (REW or Omnimic) to be able to tell what your FR is doing.Are you building the box yourself?

dominquez1,

Thanks for responding...
My 4x MFW15's are installed in a 3.5cuft polyfill filled sealed cab (1 MFW15 per cab)
I have 1 per corner installed right now and am getting some pretty good bass BUT i need more!
My thinking is to put the 4x MFW's up front and put the 2x FTW21's in the back.
I also believe this should be a major upgrade.

I've already sent Mark an email to purchase 2 FTW21's...reading this thread has convinced me that I'm doing the right thing to satisfy my bass needs.
I'm especially wanting some ULF.

My room is in my signature but is basically:
16x14x7 sealed up with hat channels, DD and GG in between.
My stage and riser is filled with 3 tons of sand.
Am now going to do acoustic paneling for the whole room.

I'm hoping my setup is good for the FTW21's

Thanks again for replying and I truly appreciate your feedback
post #124 of 133
Your set up looks awesome man! I remember when you had the Dual Outlaws. Now you replaced it with the mighty FV15HP! crazy!
post #125 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Your set up looks awesome man! I remember when you had the Dual Outlaws. Now you replaced it with the mighty FV15HP! crazy!

Thanks pokekevin!

 

Believe it or not, the 1 Rythmik FV15HP was a big upgrade compared to the dual outlaws in my room!

 

But let's not take things out of context when comparing the Rythmik and dual outalws...in both setups, I still have my FTW21's doing the heavy lifting. That's probably the reasons why the single FV15HP handily bests the dual outlaws, because the dual FTW21s already help with smoothing the response.

post #126 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

dominquez1,
Thanks for responding...
My 4x MFW15's are installed in a 3.5cuft polyfill filled sealed cab (1 MFW15 per cab)
I have 1 per corner installed right now and am getting some pretty good bass BUT i need more!
My thinking is to put the 4x MFW's up front and put the 2x FTW21's in the back.

Interesting...looks like you went larger than the standard 2.5-3.0 cuft for cabinet size...how do you like it? What made you decide to go with the larger cabinet?
post #127 of 133
I'm wondering how these FTWs would work in a 24" ported LLT sonotube? Sure would be an easy build if you have a router and circle jig. Or could go larger than 24" so it wouldn't have to be so tall...
post #128 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminbass View Post

Interesting...looks like you went larger than the standard 2.5-3.0 cuft for cabinet size...how do you like it? What made you decide to go with the larger cabinet?
Was this directed to me or fatshaft?
post #129 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminbass View Post

I'm wondering how these FTWs would work in a 24" ported LLT sonotube? Sure would be an easy build if you have a router and circle jig. Or could go larger than 24" so it wouldn't have to be so tall...
I'm sure it would killer! Unfortunately they aren't making the ftw's at this time.

He's still making the 18in version though.
post #130 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceguyEdy View Post


That is what I'm dreaming of right now. I still needs a few cards to fall into place before I'll know if I'm moving forward with the build or not. I hope it does, I'm very excited!!


Seems like a lot of awesome sub builds/purchases lately. I love reading about them.

Nice! I'm super EXCITED about getting a serious woofage setup! Like a teenage girl!
post #131 of 133
Where can you buy these custome speakers? Do they have a website so I can see prices and options? Thanks!
post #132 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Where can you buy these custome speakers? Do they have a website so I can see prices and options? Thanks!

Unfortunately, no. eD used to do custom before their demise, and they were pretty much the only player in custom that doesn't necessarily break the bank. Funk Audio does excellent custom work, however they are on the higher end side. I was looking to find a vendor that could fit in the price space between ID and DIY.

 

If you're are will to assemble it yourself, then here is a great option:

 

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/

 

Very cost effective if you add in a little elbow grease.

 

I've also found some cabinet builders in the classified that may be open to building a box for you:

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1468619/sealed-cabinets-for-tc-sounds-lms-ultra-5400-or-pro-5100

 

At $350 a box, it seems fairly reasonable price to pay...in line of what I remember eD would quote.

 

Here's another guy selling some boxes he made...have no idea if he'll entertain anything more, but it looks like good craftsmanship:

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471463/2-18-curved-sub-enclosures

 

Also, if you visit the 1st post, there was someone who had luck with a car audio box building company.

 

Good luck!

post #133 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Unfortunately, no. eD used to do custom before their demise, and they were pretty much the only player in custom that doesn't necessarily break the bank. Funk Audio does excellent custom work, however they are on the higher end side. I was looking to find a vendor that could fit in the price space between ID and DIY.

If you're are will to assemble it yourself, then here is a great option:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/

Very cost effective if you add in a little elbow grease.

I've also found some cabinet builders in the classified that may be open to building a box for you:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1468619/sealed-cabinets-for-tc-sounds-lms-ultra-5400-or-pro-5100

At $350 a box, it seems fairly reasonable price to pay...in line of what I remember eD would quote.

Here's another guy selling some boxes he made...have no idea if he'll entertain anything more, but it looks like good craftsmanship:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471463/2-18-curved-sub-enclosures

Also, if you visit the 1st post, there was someone who had luck with a car audio box building company.

Good luck!


Thanks for the information!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Can't DIY? Here's an option...