Forgive me if this isn't as coherent as I would like but I will be adding to this post as things move along.
Today my carpet is being installed and the seating is in the garage awaiting assembly so it will be all finished in a day or so.
My plan was to have a 1940's or 1950's inspired theatre room when it is finished. You all can be the judge when it is finished to see if it all comes together. I was on a limited budget and did it all myself on evenings and weekends except for the sewing as you will see later.
Well, here goes....
I started with a 22' x 16' unfinished room with a small jog near the entrance door from the hallway. The room was actually longer and narrower at the back due to the placement of my mechanical room so I framed that off and finished it for use as a workout area.
I didn't change the basic footprint of the room as it was left from the previous owners.
I closed off a second entrance where they had framed a storage room and subsequently removed the walls.
I started by framing a wall 3 feet from the back wall where I could walk behind the components and also use for storage.
I don't have any before pics that I can find now.
I then insulated the ceiling and interior walls (including the workout area and mechanical room) with Roxul Safe & Sound insulation.
The pink insulation is on the outside wall with concrete behind that as the basement is a walkout and there are no windows in the room.
I built some speaker boxes to house my speakers so that I could mount them flush with the walls at ear level.
Here are pictures after the wiring has been run and the drywall is up and finished.
I built a header/valance at the front and back of the room where the curtains will be installed later.
I put in a solid door on ball bearing hinges with a self closing spring hinge in the middle so it would be like the old theatres I remember as a kid.
I drywalled the ceiling and then switched gears to install a tin ceiling so I put up plywood over the ceiling drywall.
Then I put on some paint and installed our wall sconces as the dusty part of the job was finished.
I used MDF on the lower walls for the wainscotting and after a major brain cramp figured out my spacing around the room for the stiles and rails.
I then modifed some cabinet boxes to accomodate our old microwave so we could reheat things without running upstairs all the time.
I installed and painted the bezels on some low voltage recessed light above the future counter and threw some paint on the wainscotting.
I then started work on the surround for the tv (Sharp 80"). I decided against a projector for various reasons...
Then onto the tin ceiling installation.
Priming took about 8 1/2 hours with a brush due to the depth of the pattern.
Followed by two colour coats.
Then I installed some panel molding and inserts in the wainscotting to give it the style I was looking for.
Installing the finished cornice was a patience test for sure. It doesn't look like 8 1/2 " wide but coping those corners was not fun.
I went with a "Black Galaxy" granite tile for the counter as the cost for a one piece was ridiculous. I ended up darkening the grout later on so it blended better colour-wise.
I then made some cupboard doors to match the wainscotting in the room.
I finished the component and speaker covers and installed them.
I had to contract out the sewing of the curtains to a friend's wife or I would still be doing them 6 months from now.
Some pictures up on the walls and a popcorn machine ready for the final steps.
I just had the carpet installers show up so I will do an update later on and also plan on giving a cost breakdown in case anybody is looking to do something similar.
Sorry for the long winded post and non colour corrected pictures but I will do better on the final pictures.
I have added a youtube link in my March 19th post for a video of the completed room taken with my iPad.
Edited by dcg58 - 1/15/13 at 3:40pm