or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Mass Effect 3 SPOILER THREAD!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mass Effect 3 SPOILER THREAD! - Page 3

post #61 of 400
Despite the fact that I'm more than fine with the ending, I think it's fair to say that the ending is objectively a failure on some level. Having an ending open to speculation is fine, great even...but in order to get to the point that people even want to speculate, they have to at least reach the point where people are generally happy with it, but still want to know more. Because they're still hungry. It honestly seems like a huge amount of people were basically so turned off by it that they dont even care anymore. And the blame for that lies at the feet of the writers. Most people that I know IRL that have played it, outside of the influence of the negative echo chamber of the Internet, have mostly the same grievances.

I still think this is almost entirely due to its brevity, not its content...so I'm hopeful they can rectify it without corrupting the original intent. I think they can pull it off, provided they take the valid criticism to heart, and don't just sell out to the lowest common denominator.
post #62 of 400
The only thing I care about is that they make three different endings instead of one.

Fast forward the below video to 15:32. Guess there's really no point for me to even bother with my planned ME1-2-3 marathons

post #63 of 400
to go along with that...

post #64 of 400
Unfortunately, this is what happens when developers waste time on superfluous content like Co-Op instead of putting effort into the true game itself; i.e., the one(s) we all paid for with not only hundreds of dollars, but hundreds of hours of time.

One can only wonder who thought up the idea that screwing over the true and loyal fans of the franchise by negating hard work and painstaking effort to make all the "right" choices along 3 full games by tying in Co-Op to the campaign was a good idea. There is a special place in Hell for this/these persons.

I realize that some, not all, people like Co-Op. Fine. However, imo, Co-Op should have been a completely seperate entity from SP. They should have made it available to those interested as a completely seperate purchase and NOT linked to the campaign in any way, shape, or form. Telling folks; "It's OK to not go after assets, not do the extra missions, not scan any planets, and thus, not enjoy the game to its fullest is just peachy...simply play some Co-Op and all is well!" is a slap in the face to those of us that HAVE put in the work across all the games.

Whatever. It's over. It's busted. It's sad. But that's the way the Co-Op cookie crumbles the game.
post #65 of 400
Most games that got complains because of bad gameplay, overall bad story, controls, or something that broke the entire game. With ME3, the entire trilogy was incredible except the last 5 minutes of ending and that's where all the complains are.

With so games in the market, most developers would hope only the last 5 minutes sucked which often are because the ending scene usually doesn't make any sense and few cared. Just as long the final boss was good.

If Mass Effect is to be made into a non-interactive movie, we can be sure the director will not go with ME3 style of ending because Shepard will always be there to save everyone on another day. That's a more typical Hollywood style ending.

Hitler finds out about Mass Effect 3's Ending: (so funny)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b33tJ...eature=related
post #66 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

If Mass Effect is to be made into a non-interactive movie, we can be sure the director will not go with ME3 style of ending because Shepard will always be there to save everyone on another day. That's a more typical Hollywood style ending.

That's a movie I'd watch until the last 5 minutes and then eject the BD.
post #67 of 400
Just to bring a bit of humor to the ending of me3... the giantbomb guys talked about it on this weeks podcast..... still a vastly superior ending to the one we got and it was meant as a joke.

post #68 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Unfortunately, this is what happens when developers waste time on superfluous content like Co-Op instead of putting effort into the true game itself; i.e., the one(s) we all paid for with not only hundreds of dollars, but hundreds of hours of time.

One can only wonder who thought up the idea that screwing over the true and loyal fans of the franchise by negating hard work and painstaking effort to make all the "right" choices along 3 full games by tying in Co-Op to the campaign was a good idea. There is a special place in Hell for this/these persons.

I realize that some, not all, people like Co-Op. Fine. However, imo, Co-Op should have been a completely seperate entity from SP. They should have made it available to those interested as a completely seperate purchase and NOT linked to the campaign in any way, shape, or form. Telling folks; "It's OK to not go after assets, not do the extra missions, not scan any planets, and thus, not enjoy the game to its fullest is just peachy...simply play some Co-Op and all is well!" is a slap in the face to those of us that HAVE put in the work across all the games.

Whatever. It's over. It's busted. It's sad. But that's the way the Co-Op cookie crumbles the game.

I almost wish co-op didn't come out. 1, I wouldn't be playing ME3 anymore, and 2, people wouldn't be able to use it as a scapegoat for the ending.
post #69 of 400
Sadly, the co-op has more replay value than the game at this point!

At first I thought it was kind of gimmicky but the more I play co-op, the more it has grown on me. So far I've only played a Vanguard and an Infiltrator. I just unlocked the Asari Adept, though, so I'm going to work that up a bit and see how I like it. Stasis is so OP.

Gold is quite a challenge unless you have a really solid group. I was with one such group a few days ago and we farmed credits for a couple hours. A good gold match can easily yield >70k credits!
post #70 of 400
In case you hadn't seen this chart.. it's great. I had luckily guessed who to use in the final battle and ended up saving EVERYONE. Whew. I had know idea it could have been as hard as this.



sorry about the size.. not sure how to thumbnail it.
post #71 of 400
Too bad ME3's ending wasn't this complex
post #72 of 400
I didn't hate the ending, but the thing with the kid and old guy at the end was just really clich├ęd. I actually hate more that they're changing it based on the fan reaction. If people don't like it, then they don't like it.

To me, the entire game was the conclusion to the previous 100 hours (of the two saves I carried from ME1 to ME2 and ME2 to ME3, though total playtime is probably at least 2x that), not just the last 5 minutes being a conclusion, so I guess that while the end wasn't amazing, it doesn't detract from the fact I loved the game throughout.

That chart though reminds me... I feel like I would have been really disappointed with ME3 had I not kept everyone alive in ME2. Even for the team members I didn't push to join my squad, it just was a nice moment every time I saw them pop up. Not having those experiences would have made it a much different game, in my mind.
post #73 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post

In case you hadn't seen this chart.. it's great. I had luckily guessed who to use in the final battle and ended up saving EVERYONE. Whew. I had know idea it could have been as hard as this.

sorry about the size.. not sure how to thumbnail it.

Meh....if you completed all the missions and half paid attention to what characters specialties were, it was kinda hard not to save everyone. It was so blatantly obvious who to choose what I was kinda let down...but OTOH, had it actually been difficult, people would be super upset about their favorite character dying.
post #74 of 400
I didn't mind the ending - I just wish it wasn't the same ending every time no matter what, and that all my decisions don't mean jack - I'll still get the same ending regardless.
post #75 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

I didn't mind the ending - I just wish it wasn't the same ending every time no matter what, and that all my decisions don't mean jack - I'll still get the same ending regardless.

Yes. They failed to deliver on the promise of multiple endings. Two semi-endings and the same ending with rainbows is hardly a difference.
post #76 of 400
You'd think the way you guys are whining about the single ending that the other games didn't operate in the exact same fashion. All three start out with an extremely linear opening, open wide up in the middle, then come down to a single linear mission with a "multiple choice but exactly the same ending". Murderer Soveriegn/murder the counsel, or murder Soveriegn/save the counsel? Doesn't matter either way. Murder the human Reaper? Reapers are still coming through to do some raping and pillaging. This one at least had three choices. Are you a sucker, are you a sucker, or were you paying attention?

Pretending at any sort of shock or disappointment by the effectively single ending of Mass Effect 3 is just disingenuous. This is exactly how Mass Effect games have operated since day one. Have you guys not been paying attention? Then again "I wasn't paying attention" seems to be to overwhelming root of people's problem with this ending anyway.
post #77 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Blah, blah, blah blah...

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.
post #78 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

You'd think the way you guys are whining about the single ending that the other games didn't operate in the exact same fashion. All three start out with an extremely linear opening, open wide up in the middle, then come down to a single linear mission with a "multiple choice but exactly the same ending". Murderer Soveriegn/murder the counsel, or murder Soveriegn/save the counsel? Doesn't matter either way. Murder the human Reaper? Reapers are still coming through to do some raping and pillaging. This one at least had three choices. Are you a sucker, are you a sucker, or were you paying attention?

Pretending at any sort of shock or disappointment by the effectively single ending of Mass Effect 3 is just disingenuous. This is exactly how Mass Effect games have operated since day one. Have you guys not been paying attention? Then again "I wasn't paying attention" seems to be to overwhelming root of people's problem with this ending anyway.

you don't get the point though.... it wasn't even an ending... I'm not upset that ultimately there was only 1 choice, I'm upset that for whatever reason ideas where scrapped and the actual ending is completely missing. the small child in the beginning was more than just some random kid... not a coincidence that shep was having these nightmares about him, or that he actually ended up being the catalyst (in shep's HEAD).

obviously when you're hit with harbingers beam you're knocked out, and anything after that is a dream, a hallucination, a battle with harbingers mind control, or a mix of the 3... by choosing destroy you're choosing not to let harbinger control you any longer, which is why is shows you lying in the rubble on london.... you're not dead, and this also means the reapers are still on earth.... the relays are not destroyed because you did not make it to the citadel (yet).

even if everything up to the presented ending was real, i'm still extremely disappointed that I gathered all of these assets and there were exactly 12 humans in the battle for earth... 12 ****ing humans.

large scale navy battle in the sky was great but then... oops, we ran out of time, sorry.... no elcor with rockets on their backs, no mechs and voorcha thanks to aria's rag tag band of mercenaries, no geth primes, no batarians, nothing..... no clue as to what actually happened to anyone, no reason as to how/why my squadmates who were just on the ground magically teleported to the normandy (including ones who "died" at the base of the conduit) and how/why they decided to hit a relay and get the hell out of there.... joker isn't a coward.

4 brutes, 4 banshees, walk slow forever, choose a, b, c... and thats it... thats what I invested 200 hours in.

I'm completely happy with the ending, except the last hour or two is completely missing.... must have overlooked disc 3 when I opened up the game.
post #79 of 400
Formula - Are you even paying attention to your own explanation? You tell us that the relays didn't explode, then three lines later tell us about the exploding relays crashing the Normandy.

Normandy crashes before Lazarus kicks back in. It didn't happen.

Let's spell this out nice and simple guys. What happened is that you spent an entire game wrangling up the galaxy's military forces and bringing them to one location for extremely efficient anihilation by the Reapers. Meanwhile, you also made sure that the galaxy was occupied dumping all of their available resources in to a mcguffin that the Reapers provided you with, instead of on something useful. There is no other missing two hours of story. We already know the end, but Bioware made the mistake of thinking that their audience was smart enough to follow along.

Shepard left the rest of the galaxy defenseless and ill-prepared. This will now be the quickest Reaper cleansing in history.
post #80 of 400
Did anyone listen to Liara's conversation with her "father" who's also an Asari? She's the same bartender in Illum in ME2 talking about her father was a Krogan. How Liara's "father" sees it is Liara is also part Krogan.
post #81 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Formula - Are you even paying attention to your own explanation? You tell us that the relays didn't explode, then three lines later tell us about the exploding relays crashing the Normandy.

Normandy crashes before Lazarus kicks back in. It didn't happen.

Let's spell this out nice and simple guys. What happened is that you spent an entire game wrangling up the galaxy's military forces and bringing them to one location for extremely efficient anihilation by the Reapers. Meanwhile, you also made sure that the galaxy was occupied dumping all of their available resources in to a mcguffin that the Reapers provided you with, instead of on something useful. There is no other missing two hours of story. We already know the end, but Bioware made the mistake of thinking that their audience was smart enough to follow along.

Shepard left the rest of the galaxy defenseless and ill-prepared. This will now be the quickest Reaper cleansing in history.

Sure.
post #82 of 400
" What happened is that you spent an entire game wrangling up the galaxy's military forces and bringing them to one location for extremely efficient anihilation by the Reapers. Meanwhile, you also made sure that the galaxy was occupied dumping all of their available resources in to a mcguffin that the Reapers provided you with, instead of on something useful."


I'm 100% fine with this if it was the intent of the writers.... I knew ME would turn to **** without Drew Karpyshyn anyway, but out doesn't change the fact that there is no ending.... show me what happened, conclude the trilogy, something.

Go watch fight club and turn it off with about 20 minutes left and then tell me how you feel about the movie...
post #83 of 400
No, your argument is that Fight Club didn't show us Marla and Jack getting married and then going to visit Meatloaf's grave. It's useless garbage that wasn't necessary.

Here, the galaxy is boned. Showing us Elcor getting liquidated and Joker breaking his leg is all unnecessary garbage that adds nothing to the story. Everybody dies. The end.
post #84 of 400
See the the fact that darklordjames thinks he's super cool and "gets it" it while someone else has a second theory and the someone else has a third theory and the someone else has a forth theory shows to me it's a crapy ending. The writer/director were unable to put a clear idea out there. Of course people like DLJ will just say its because other people are stupid but really his theory is just as much a theory at this point as everyone else.

Bioware made the "ending" intentionally vague (I.e. they gave us no ending) so that we would sit around and talk about it and some people would demand DLC. See that's another theory.
post #85 of 400
Lol I forgot about meatloaf. Yeah...that would have been retarded.

The problem here is that theres several completely unrelated criticisms. It's too short, it's unclear, not enough closure, too sad, inconsistencies, stupid writer tricks etc. Not everyone takes issue with all of the above, but it seems almost everyone (myself included) can at least claim one of those. So many are unsatisfied that they've just written it off as stupid.

Seems like their intent was to have people discussing what it all meant, and instead people are discussing whether or not it's stupid.

So yeah, kinda a fail.
post #86 of 400
DLJ, I've had enough of your disengenuous assertions! (you know what comes next )

While you are right, both ME1 and ME2 were designed in a very linear fashion, both games hinted that your decisions made a difference. I played both numerous times (4 times ME1, 5 times ME2) so I could see how things would end with my choices, and so I could prepare for the time when Shepard would be called upon to save the galaxy for the last time. What kept me playing ME1 and ME2 was the feeling that my decisions would carry weight in ME3. This is not true in the slightest.

I have stopped playing ME3 singleplayer. At this point, why bother with my 2nd playthrough on renegade? I guess I won't be seeing some interrupts, but it no longer matters.

At least in ME2, you could build your team, do loyalty missions, and prepare for one massive fight. Hours spent doing loyalty missions helps you develop a care for the people and a genuine interest in their well being. This pays off by seeing that they survive to move on. And now that I played ME3, I've realized that all this time invested in nurturing a ragtag team was for nothing. Anyone who died is replaced by a generic character who still has the skills and abilities of the dead teammate. Even Kirahee is replaced by a random salarian if he dies in ME1. So why play ME3 a second time? Why focus so heavily on earning war assets?

Fans are also ticked off because the developers at Bioware specifically stated that there would be multiple endings, based off of your choices. This has turned out to be a lie. At this point, the only two games I have purchased this year on day 1 that have delivered on their promises are Battlefield 3 and Ace Combat Assault Horizon.

If it wasn't for the multiplayer, this game would be sitting on my shelf, never to be played again... just weeks after release. A tragic end to a great series of games.
post #87 of 400
All of your decisions made all of the differences... in the narrative of the game. Even if they didn't effect the ending, so what? The ending was bigger than whether or not you killed Wrex on Virmire. If it is the true ending and not a hallucination.

Was this video linked in this thread? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=ythY_GkEBck#!

I think the two points of Anderson not acknowledging the kid and the bushes at the site of the beam are the most damning. Also, the kid looks right at Shepherd as he is boarding that shuttle (not mentioned in the vid.)
post #88 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

See the the fact that darklordjames thinks he's super cool and "gets it" it while someone else has a second theory and the someone else has a third theory and the someone else has a forth theory shows to me it's a crapy ending. The writer/director were unable to put a clear idea out there. Of course people like DLJ will just say its because other people are stupid but really his theory is just as much a theory at this point as everyone else.

Bioware made the "ending" intentionally vague (I.e. they gave us no ending) so that we would sit around and talk about it and some people would demand DLC. See that's another theory.

Some might say that a brilliant but inconclusive ending actually makes it a great ending. Ala Inception....or how about that little quarter smile the mona lisa has, why is she smiling like that.
post #89 of 400
Well I got the game ending spoiled for me (doesn't really matter how). I'm probably only about 60% through the campaign and frankly I'm probably done with it. Or at least I'll finish it up until the final battle and then stop. I'd rather create my own ending (in my mind) for this great journey than have it ruined with pick A, B, C (but it doesn't really matter which you pick 'cuz they're all the same).

I'll imagine my Shepard destroying the Reapers with the help of all of the assets he helped gather, losing a few close friends along the way and then settling down with Tali to raise some little purple people. Maybe he changes his name to keep away the fame seekers. And I can imagine endings for the rest of my squadmates as well.

Bioware created this franchise based around choice having consequences and then basically flipped us the bird on that core tenant at the end. In that case I chose to reject their choices and make my own ending.

Plus, multiplayer is really a blast.
post #90 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

Was this video linked in this thread? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=ythY_GkEBck#

Didn't anybody ever watch Star Trek: The Next Generation? Isn't a Q-like entity establishing holodeck-like realities an acceptable alternative to Reaper mind games?

This is where I'd like a few Bioware interviews to come out, but they're probably pissed. Besides, they say Melville thought it was just a whale story...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Mass Effect 3 SPOILER THREAD!