or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Dish "Hopper"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dish "Hopper" - Page 6

post #151 of 219
Actually, Dish just changed their minds on the price hikes (thanks to the backlash online). They've scaled them back a bit. New details HERE.
post #152 of 219
On my recommendation my sister-in-law ordered a Hopper system. Dish really screwed up the order. Now admittedly my sister-in-law likes to talk and doesn't listen well. However the installer showed up with the wrong dish as he had a dish 1000 and not the dish 1000 plus she needed for the Jadeworld package. Also she asked for two Hoppers and two Joeys, the customer service rep agreed to that, but he showed up with one Hopper and three Joeys. The installer told her that the Joey was the same as the Hopper!!!

After several calls to Dish a supervisor told her that they don't offer the two Hopper system anymore. Judging from the pricing information I just looked at, that is not true. However my sister-in-laws credit is not so good so maybe they were not willing to invest two Hoppers in her.

They are supposed to install the new dish today.

Rick R
post #153 of 219
There is long thread at dbstalk how ppl getting two Hs (and no J !), take a look ... perhaps she could fire up email to VP level ...
post #154 of 219
Just received my hopper but they are coming back to replace with the one with the sling box. Has anyone used the bluetoothed feature?
post #155 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser182 View Post

Just received my hopper but they are coming back to replace with the one with the sling box. Has anyone used the bluetoothed feature?

Bluetooth is only good for headsets......
post #156 of 219
Received my Hopper w/sling box and with the few hours and loving it. I have to get used to the UI. Loving the recall option the shows the last four channel you visited.
On the remote there are also four color buttons. The red one shows you what everyone is watching in house. Very useful to keep track of my little ones.
The yellow button opens the menu. The blue button open game finder. Which is cool because it shows you the games that are on. You can select the game if is showing or you have a sports package. You can also name your favorite teams so it can track them.
DVR-
The DVR home screen shows prime time , rentals, and saved movies.
If you are into tv shows you will love the prime time anytime. Get instant access to ABC,CBS,FOX,&NBC.
Now the best thing is the sling box. I tested my iPad2 and iPhone5 with the app and works very good. It all depends on your connection (wifi) at home. Mine is not very fast so my iPad was only great in SQ (standard quality). You can choose between SQ or HQ. I have to test with a faster connection , but SQ worked very well for me.
On my iPhone, the connection was great. Again you get to choose between SQ and HQ. to me there wasn't a noticeable or a strong enough difference to switch to HQ given the small screen size. I did love the sound coming from my iPhone with my headphones.
The cool features of using the sling box is the ability to watch your recoded and live tv on your mobile device. One thing I am having trouble watching live tv on iPhone. Have not figured it out yet but will update. Back to viewing DVR or On demand content, If you are watching on your iPhone you can continue on a regular tv or iiPad. Great way to finish movies on the go. Well thats my impressions on the Hopper w/sling box. I will update when I get more time with it. Looks good so far!
: UPDATE
Ok if you hook up your iPhone you must completely close the anywhere app and log out on phone. On the front page it will say registrar . Registrar it. It will ask for your Dishnet 16# account number. Once you've entered account number it will shoot you an email if it was successful. If successful, just log back in and watch your live TV.
Yes!!!
Edited by ser182 - 5/30/13 at 11:47pm
post #157 of 219
Bickering posts removed. Post about the topic and not each other.
post #158 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

On my recommendation my sister-in-law ordered a Hopper system. Dish really screwed up the order. Now admittedly my sister-in-law likes to talk and doesn't listen well. However the installer showed up with the wrong dish as he had a dish 1000 and not the dish 1000 plus she needed for the Jadeworld package. Also she asked for two Hoppers and two Joeys, the customer service rep agreed to that, but he showed up with one Hopper and three Joeys. The installer told her that the Joey was the same as the Hopper!!!

After several calls to Dish a supervisor told her that they don't offer the two Hopper system anymore. Judging from the pricing information I just looked at, that is not true. However my sister-in-laws credit is not so good so maybe they were not willing to invest two Hoppers in her.

They are supposed to install the new dish today.

Rick R

Hi Rick_R, I do want to thank you for referring your sister-in-law to DISH! Were we able to resolve this issue for her? If not, please PM me and I will assist her further.
Thanks
post #159 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H DISH View Post

Hi Rick_R, I do want to thank you for referring your sister-in-law to DISH! Were we able to resolve this issue for her? If not, please PM me and I will assist her further.
Thanks
She got the one hopper system and she is happy with it. They have three TVs but one is for her daughter who is rarely home. They replaced the dish so she now watches the Jadeworld package which she loves. All is well.

Rick R
post #160 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

She got the one hopper system and she is happy with it. They have three TVs but one is for her daughter who is rarely home. They replaced the dish so she now watches the Jadeworld package which she loves. All is well.

Rick R

Thanks for that information and I am glad to hear she is happy with the Hopper as well! If you have any questions please let me know!
Thanks
post #161 of 219
Mike H...

Is DISH ever going to enable to esata port on the rear of the system? I would think that would make transferring to/from EHD a helluva lot quicker than via USB... It's there...why isn't it active yet??
post #162 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post

Mike H...

Is DISH ever going to enable to esata port on the rear of the system? I would think that would make transferring to/from EHD a helluva lot quicker than via USB... It's there...why isn't it active yet??
If they will do...

It would be a sensation of the forum! biggrin.gif
post #163 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post

Is DISH ever going to enable to esata port on the rear of the system? I would think that would make transferring to/from EHD a helluva lot quicker than via USB...

I haven't done any timing or calculations since I don't have a Hopper, but for the other VIP receivers it appears that the encryption is limiting speed. Programs transfer much slower than USB 2.
post #164 of 219
I'm sure you're correct - it takes time to encrypt/decrypt, however...e-sata should still be much faster than the current speed (I would think, anyway)...and besides - what good is the darned port if it isn't functional? It's not like you can take your EHD to someone else's house and watch stuff there - it would just be a nicety/convenience for you, the subscriber...but then I'm expecting this from a company that was charging $40 just to get the USB activated...I'm glad I jumped when they offered activation for free...
post #165 of 219
I think there is presented slightly misconstrued picture ...

The encryption/decryption of EHD's content done in HW (try to play from EHD and you'll see no delay), so it will be not a factor.

Transfer to EHD is intensive I/O process, so they decide to assign low priority to it, to allow you/second/third client watch TV without stuttering.

eSATA port on a back ? It's a second SATA1 port of BCM processor and it's require to be supported in FW (driver and Linux and up to apps).

Well, it been added to its predecessor long time ago (ViP922) for unknown to us purpose, I did try external drive connected to 922 and the 813, but systems don't want to use it as a second drive or as substitute for disconnected internal (SATA port0).

We are ay mercy of marketing ppl, the HW is here and FW part could be made in a month with QA tests...
post #166 of 219
As of right now, we do not have any updates on the ESATA port being active. When I get further information I will let you know.

Thanks
post #167 of 219
I have a 1 TB USB powered WD external hard drive.
The only problem I have is that the Hopper will not always recognize it.
according to Dish Tech support, you are supposed to use a powered ext HD.

Has anyone else used a USB powered HD?
post #168 of 219
I have heard that a USB EHD has worked but Dish does not support it. I have a 1TB WD self powered EHD and it works just fine....
post #169 of 219
I have an external HD that I had on my old 722. When I upgraded to the Hopper, I tried to connect to the Hopper but it said I had to reformat the HD. I decided against using it hoping I could work out something later. Well, I decided last week to go ahead and just format it. I started moving movies and shows over to the external HD with no problems. Today I go to watch a show on the external HD and it doesn't show up in the DVR menu. I only show the two Hoppers available. I disconnected the external HD and reconnected it. It then prompted me to reformat it. At this point, I just cancelled everything and disconnected it. I don't understand why it started this. Any ideas?
post #170 of 219
what is EHD ?

what is a type of enclosure ? has it own power supply ? what is a model of HDD in it ?
post #171 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

what is EHD ?

what is a type of enclosure ? has it own power supply ? what is a model of HDD in it ?

Toshiba PH3100U-1E3S
1 TB
USB 3.0
Built in power supply
plastic enclosure
post #172 of 219
"plastic enclosure" - can you tell a model exactly; I'm confused with the description :"Built in power supply"; perhaps it doesn't have power supply at all ...

Also, the enclosure has USB 3.0 internal controller (converting SATA to USB), it could be hit&miss in a negotiation with USB 2.0 port at H.
post #173 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

"plastic enclosure" - can you tell a model exactly; I'm confused with the description :"Built in power supply"; perhaps it doesn't have power supply at all ...

Also, the enclosure has USB 3.0 internal controller (converting SATA to USB), it could be hit&miss in a negotiation with USB 2.0 port at H.

I am more than happy to [provide you our link explaining in more detail of what is needed: http://www.mydish.com/support/ehd-overview?WT.svl=gsearch_results
post #174 of 219
Sorry Mike_H, I'm an EE, not the customer. smile.gif

I've a deal with broken devices like the H, J, switches, LNBF, EHD, etc
I'm do troubleshooting and repair ...
post #175 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcec View Post

I have a 1 TB USB powered WD external hard drive.
The only problem I have is that the Hopper will not always recognize it.
according to Dish Tech support, you are supposed to use a powered ext HD.

Has anyone else used a USB powered HD?

I have a Thermaltake BlacX dock that I can swap out multiple hard drives - the dock, itself, is powered... It works beautifully. I also have a dual-dock, but it seems to only 'see' one of the drives, so I just use the single one for this purpose - they can be had for $15 or so when they go on sale at various suppliers...

The docks have USB & e-sata connection so if/when the e-sata port becomes active (if it can even be used for this purpose)...i'm ready.
post #176 of 219
we currently have 2 712 hd dual tuner dvrs. this allows us to record 2 shows at once on 2 separate hdtvs. worked well but now we are considering setting up a 3rd hdtv

read about hopper. called dish. they said we could service 3 hdtvs with one hopper and 3 joeys. they said it would cost us $3 a month more than we are now paying. I believe the cost for the hopper/joeys was $24-26 a month. said we could also hook up a 4th non hdtv but only 3 tvs could watch live programming or record simulatneously. if 4 were watching, one could not watch live or record, but they could watch already recorded programming without conflict with the other 3 tvs. can also watch on ipad programming already downloaded to i pad's memory, but can't stream to ipad.

also said need for us to run tests with them from home to be sure this setup is viable for our home.

does all this sound correct to those already using hopper/joeys?

have i misunderstood anything or has dish misinformed me?

would like some re-assurance before I go down this road with dish.


thanks
post #177 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

we currently have 2 712 hd dual tuner dvrs. this allows us to record 2 shows at once on 2 separate hdtvs. worked well but now we are considering setting up a 3rd hdtv

read about hopper. called dish. they said we could service 3 hdtvs with one hopper and 3 joeys. they said it would cost us $3 a month more than we are now paying. I believe the cost for the hopper/joeys was $24-26 a month. said we could also hook up a 4th non hdtv but only 3 tvs could watch live programming or record simulatneously. if 4 were watching, one could not watch live or record, but they could watch already recorded programming without conflict with the other 3 tvs. can also watch on ipad programming already downloaded to i pad's memory, but can't stream to ipad.

also said need for us to run tests with them from home to be sure this setup is viable for our home.

does all this sound correct to those already using hopper/joeys?

have i misunderstood anything or has dish misinformed me?

would like some re-assurance before I go down this road with dish.


thanks

You would probably need 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys for your needs. That's going to cost you a bit more than you were quoted, monthly as well as up front cost. Don not, I repeat, do not even consider a single Hopper 3 Joey configuration. You already have 4 tuners with your 2-722 setup, you only have 3 tuners with a single Hopper. That said, it would easily be worth it go with the 2 Hopper scenario.
post #178 of 219
I also agree with this, 2 hoppers all the way.
post #179 of 219
it is model 612 or 722 or 722k ?
the "712" is not exist
post #180 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

it is model 612 or 722 or 722k ?

Must be722 dual tuner had dvr.

Story for wrong model #


the "712" is not exist
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Dish "Hopper"