or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › PN51E550 questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PN51E550 questions

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
Greetings everyone - I've been lurking for a while and finally had a reason to post.

I have a benefit program at work that allows me to accumulate points towards consumer goods. Usually these programs offer a way for vendors to offer discontinued stuff, since people who get stuff for "free" will put up with last year's specs more than people shopping at their own expense, but I was able to dig up a pretty current list of Samsung sets, both LED/LCD and Plasma.

After throwing out all the ones that exceeded my banked points or below 37 inches, I had a pretty good list. At the top of it was this E550. A 51 inch display with 1080p at 600hz? Sounds like an easy decision. But I can't see anywhere in the docs if it has a 24 frame cinema mode. So should I get it?

There's only two reviews for it on Amazon, and it has a 3 out of 5 star rating, which is basically terrible for a new product. I've heard really bad things about Samsungs lately, ranging from display glass that shatters after so many weeks to sets that quit working and Samsung insists on continuing to repair them rather than replace them.

I watch movies, mostly. The wife watches her reality shows. Neither one of us watch sports - ever. Our media area has western exposure so it catches sun in the afternoon. My current Samsung 3079 gets some pretty bad glare.

If anyone can give me guidance regarding this display I'd appreciate it.
post #2 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Sevin View Post

Greetings everyone - I've been lurking for a while and finally had a reason to post.

I have a benefit program at work that allows me to accumulate points towards consumer goods. Usually these programs offer a way for vendors to offer discontinued stuff, since people who get stuff for "free" will put up with last year's specs more than people shopping at their own expense, but I was able to dig up a pretty current list of Samsung sets, both LED/LCD and Plasma.

After throwing out all the ones that exceeded my banked points or below 37 inches, I had a pretty good list. At the top of it was this E550. A 51 inch display with 1080p at 600hz? Sounds like an easy decision. But I can't see anywhere in the docs if it has a 24 frame cinema mode. So should I get it?

There's only two reviews for it on Amazon, and it has a 3 out of 5 star rating, which is basically terrible for a new product. I've heard really bad things about Samsungs lately, ranging from display glass that shatters after so many weeks to sets that quit working and Samsung insists on continuing to repair them rather than replace them.

I watch movies, mostly. The wife watches her reality shows. Neither one of us watch sports - ever. Our media area has western exposure so it catches sun in the afternoon. My current 3079 Toshiba gets some pretty bad glare.

If anyone can give me guidance regarding this display I'd appreciate it.

One of those Amazon reviews had nothing to do with the set. Yes it has the 24p (the 530 does not). I don't know anyone who has seen it in person so I'm not sure you'll get much guidance beyond this.
post #3 of 32
Thread Starter 
Yeah I saw that guy... he posted up a comment about a set that had nothing to do with the E550! I guess he was unclear on the concept behind the whole "product review" thing...

I guess this display has been out for only a short while, so I'll give it some time. After I made the post I noticed it had the Cinema 24 feature. I guess my major concerns are picture quality (obviously), followed by heat dissipation, and finally.... does it have the "plasma hum"? I've heard bad things about some of the Samsung plasmas, that they have a nasty hum that distracts from the viewing experience. I hope this one doesn't because I'm really leaning towards getting it.
post #4 of 32
Thread Starter 
- I wanted to mention that for some reason I posted up that I had a "3079 Toshiba", which should read "Samsung 3079 CRT". I think I had been staring at Toshiba deals before I made that post, and my brain skipped its tracks right there.
post #5 of 32
I love mine !!
All the features the old pn51D6500 had and more + no buzzing.
post #6 of 32
So does the 550 series have the 10 point gray scale and CMS? How do the blacks and color compare to the d6500-d7000? I'm looking at Panasonic 42ut50 or the 43e550. Seems to be no info on either TV, especially the 43e550. May have to move up to the 50-51 range but it would be real inconvenient.
post #7 of 32
does anyone have this TV yet? seems like a D7000 for under 1 K am I wrong?
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomnaut View Post

so i understand this set includes 2 pairs of 3d glasses and the real black filter that was on the d7000 & d8000 2011 models all for under $1000.

pretty good deal if you ask me but my heart is set on the st50.

From memory, it has the same filter as the 6500, not the d7000/d8000
post #9 of 32
It has real black filter - not real black filter pro - correct?

So what would be the difference of this and a D7000?
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

From memory, it has the same filter as the 6500, not the d7000/d8000

Black levels should be similar to the d6500, no real AR filter.
post #11 of 32
I seen the 64e550 at BB. It was close to the 65st30. From what I could tell the e550 was brighter and the st30 looked dimmer and more contrast with deeper blacks. The st30 was higher up so no touchy! I did see the 550 had a joy stick type control on the lower left bottom edge to run everything. Might be a little different to get use to but with a remote who uses the controls on the tv anyway.
post #12 of 32
I too would love to know what the difference between the E550 and the D7000 from last year.

We do know it has the same Real Black Panel/Filter as the D7000. Question is, does it have the same picture processing as the D7000? My guess is it does not have as many picture settings.

Good to know that so far no buzzing reports (E6500 already has a "buzz" review on Amazon). Although I am beginning to think all Samsung Plasmas buzz and it comes down to whether it bothers you or not.

I loved the picture quality on the D7000 but had to return it because the buzzing was driving me up a wall.
post #13 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by siberslug View Post

I love mine !!
All the features the old pn51D6500 had and more + no buzzing.

What about the heat dissipation? I've heard some plasmas will make the TV room feel like a greenhouse.
post #14 of 32
Ok , so with the PN51E550 not having an Analog output how do you get the extra sound you need like from a SoundBar?
Or Extra speakers? Thanks
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by st johng View Post

Ok , so with the PN51E550 not having an Analog output how do you get the extra sound you need like from a SoundBar?
Or Extra speakers? Thanks
Don't new soundbars have amplifiers that accept a digital optical audio input that the E550 provides?
For external speakers you also use a separate amplifier/receiver that has a digital optical audio input.
post #16 of 32
The E550 from what the local Sammy rep has told me is a slightly cut down D7000 missing a few picture pre-sets like the "relax" setting. It should still have the Cinema Smooth feature which is Sammy's 24p motion picture setting. I have had a chance to play with the set a bit and was impressed by it gaming and movie performance, but does have a fairly reflective screen.It's not a mirror like the UT50, but still more reflective than a the E6500-8000. You are getting a pretty nice set for around a grand.
post #17 of 32
I recently purchased this set. I took back a Samsung 46EH6070 for this one. The LED set was light with a small bezel, but uniformity was a big issue and I just couldn't get the blacks dark enough. This new set is in a bright room. Reflection is a big issue. There is a huge window up high on a twenty something foot wall. Getting on roof later to cover window with screen, but I digress. I'm still tinkering with settings and find I adjust them for every different thing I watch on the set. The picture is solid and I no longer have my eyes drawn to issues I had with the LED and LCD sets before it. This set is also perfectly quiet. I've yet to hear any buzzing. I was worried the cinema smooth feature would result in a "soap opera" effect but does its job without doing so. I find the picture settings frustrating in some ways, particularly that some work or do not work depending on the input source. 2D to 3D conversion feature actually works, though I'd like to see more depth. I've hooked up an antenna for TV channels and the tuner works well . This set has the Smart TV hub and streams Netflix and Hulu Plus nicely over ethernet. WiFi is built in but prefer a hardline. This set does not support ARC. Samsung iPhone app works well with this TV. I'm just getting around to watching my favorite movies on this TV. Avatar, theatrical 2D cut, looks great. Though, I've always noticed a slight softness to the image on this and two other TV's. Its good, just not quite perfect. I watched Bladerunner on HD DVD. Very nice! Watched Alien on Blu-ray. Wow! I can remember watching these two movies on small 4:3 TV's as a kid in the 80's. I just remember them as dark and mirky. They are dark films to be sure, but these versions are amazing in their detail. I wondered how well the 3D feature would work on games, so I tried some Gears of War 3. Coolness!
post #18 of 32
No ARC on this set? I have the 60" version and it has ARC on HDMI 2. However, it cuts out quite a bit so I am just using optical.
post #19 of 32
Thank you for the correction. This tv does support ARC, but just as you said on your tv, only on HDMI 2. It helps to read the manual in its entirety rather just skimp. I am also using an optical cable. While looking for other features, I came upon the "Swipeit" app. This lets you view photos and videos shot with your smart phone on your tv by swiping them toward the tv, provided both devices are on your network. Hardly groundbreaking, but handy in that you do not have to download to PC first or physically connect to any hardware.
post #20 of 32
Thread Starter 
Pardon my noob question, but what is ARC?

Great info so far in this thread, my thanks to the people who have responded.
post #21 of 32
It is good to hear some positive things about this set. I just got it unknowingly free with 4 pairs of glasses and was afraid that it was going to be a dud. It will be delivered tomorrow. I wanted 3D in my bedroom, so getting it with no extra costs is a no brainer. As for heat, I'm used to it from my 46" Sharp LCD...one of the hottest LCDs I have seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post

Thank you for the correction. This tv does support ARC, but just as you said on your tv, only on HDMI 2. It helps to read the manual in its entirety rather just skimp. I am also using an optical cable. While looking for other features, I came upon the "Swipeit" app. This lets you view photos and videos shot with your smart phone on your tv by swiping them toward the tv, provided both devices are on your network. Hardly groundbreaking, but handy in that you do not have to download to PC first or physically connect to any hardware.

I actually have this feature with my FiOS boxes. It is a cool feature to show off, but I've never used it outside of that.
post #22 of 32
I must say that I'm loving this TV short of the speakers. I will be moving my system from my den to the bedroom, so that should be a fix. The 3D is amazingly crisp and immersive. I watched some football on ESPN3D. The glasses felt good and fit nicely over my eyeglasses. The picture probably could be dialed in some more...any recommendations? My calibration disc will not be in until later this week. I was also surprised as to how light weight it is. I recommend this set for those who want some quality on a sub $1k budget.
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthuzist View Post

I must say that I'm loving this TV short of the speakers. I will be moving my system from my den to the bedroom, so that should be a fix. The 3D is amazingly crisp and immersive. I watched some football on ESPN3D. The glasses felt good and fit nicely over my eyeglasses. The picture probably could be dialed in some more...any recommendations? My calibration disc will not be in until later this week. I was also surprised as to how light weight it is. I recommend this set for those who want some quality on a sub $1k budget.

E450. I only use Movie Mode.
Don't know if it's even possible to get
accurate colors in Dynamic or Standard.
If anyone can I'd like to see the settings.

Mode - Movie
Cell Light 20
Brightness 50 daytime / 40 for evening and 35 to 30 for a dark room
Contrast 100 daytime / 97 for evening and 95 to 90 for a dark room
Sharpness 0
Color 51
R/G Tint 50/50
Color Space - Native
Gamma -1 for night (0 for daytime
Dynamic Contrast - off
Black Tone - Darkest
Flesh Tone - 0
Color Tone - Warm1
Size - Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter - Off

White Balance Calibration

RO - 21
GO - 25
BO - 22
RG - 20
GG - 25
BG - 23
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

E450. I only use Movie Mode.
Don't know if it's even possible to get
accurate colors in Dynamic or Standard.
If anyone can I'd like to see the settings.
Mode - Movie
Cell Light 20
Brightness 50 daytime / 40 for evening and 35 to 30 for a dark room
Contrast 100 daytime / 97 for evening and 95 to 90 for a dark room
Sharpness 0
Color 51
R/G Tint 50/50
Color Space - Native
Gamma -1 for night (0 for daytime
Dynamic Contrast - off
Black Tone - Darkest
Flesh Tone - 0
Color Tone - Warm1
Size - Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter - Off
White Balance Calibration
RO - 21
GO - 25
BO - 22
RG - 20
GG - 25
BG - 23

Thank you. I also noticed that Movie Mode was going to be the best one to chose. I will set these now.

Update: The settings improved a lot, but it now appears soft. Also my sharpness was best at 20 vs 0...anything <> distorted the "sharpness". Other than that, it now looks like I'm at the theater watching a movie...in this case Real Steel.
Edited by enthuzist - 8/19/12 at 10:43am
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthuzist View Post

Thank you. I also noticed that Movie Mode was going to be the best one to chose. I will set these now.

The critical ones are:
Cell Light 20
Sharpness 0.
Screen Fit (16:9 adds oversan for the orbiter and degrades the picture.

I like Black Tone 'Darkest' but it depends on what you like.
All the others are subjective as to what you like
and when the set is new and heat output is high.
Are you getting shadow detail or are the blacks sort of
blob looking (crushed blacks >for the lack of a better word.
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

The critical ones are:
Cell Light 20
Sharpness 0.
Screen Fit (16:9 adds oversan for the orbiter and degrades the picture.
I like Black Tone 'Darkest' but it depends on what you like.
All the others are subjective as to what you like
and when the set is new and heat output is high.
Are you getting shadow detail or are the blacks sort of
blob looking (crushed blacks >for the lack of a better word.

I must have overlooked Screen Fit. Changing it from 16:9 to Screen Fit improved the softness issue. Thanks again.
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthuzist View Post

I must have overlooked Screen Fit. Changing it from 16:9 to Screen Fit improved the softness issue. Thanks again.

Yea 16:9 screen fit sucks big time.
I hate over scan with a purple passion. I had enough of that with my Sony CRT's.
Some of the 'movie fit' modes can work wonders with the right film when you don't want black bars.
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthuzist View Post

Thank you. I also noticed that Movie Mode was going to be the best one to chose. I will set these now.
Update: The settings improved a lot, but it now appears soft. Also my sharpness was best at 20 vs 0...anything <> distorted the "sharpness". Other than that, it now looks like I'm at the theater watching a movie...in this case Real Steel.

A post by a Samsung tech said the Sharpness should be turned off = 0.
I was sceptical but after a few weeks of dialing it down from 20 to 10 then 5 to 0
I understand he was right that it adds aticfacts.
Look close at the screen at flat edges at an angle then adjust Sharpness up and down.
You will see it adds adds contrast = ringing (stair steps) to the edges.
0 Sharpness does take a little getting used to so give it time.
post #29 of 32
I will try it The wife loves it right now. I may wait until after 3D movie night.
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthuzist View Post

I will try it The wife loves it right now. I may wait until after 3D movie night.

If she likes torch mode don't even think about showing her Dynamic mode!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › PN51E550 questions