or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNXXE7000 - PNXXE8000 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung PNXXE7000 - PNXXE8000 owners thread - Page 96

post #2851 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerreed View Post

Hello people that are way more informed than me in regards to the subject of plasma TVs (and perhaps other subjects). I would really appreciate some advice as to whether or not you think the Samsung 51 inch e7000 would be worth spending a couple of hundred bucks more than for the same size e550 model. So, basically, is the e7000 WAY better than the e550 for two hundred dollars difference and why or why not?
I'm still waiting for my 1st plasma to arrive, but from what I've read here yes, 7000 is worth extra $200, at least because of an anti-reflective filter! Also 7000 has better blacks than 550
post #2852 of 4279
Please disregard the stupidity of this question if you don't intend on answering it with an equal amount of stupidity (that is, because I don't expect anyone to have done this):

Has anyone ever used some black material (some sort of cardboard, construction paper, or what have you) to "crop" your screen to 2.40:1 on the top and bottom to create an inky black letterbox, or for a film like TDK/TDKR that has a shifting AR and it can stay as letterbox?

I'm basically asking if this would "work," or if something would be off-putting about it even with the lights out that it would be noticeable?

Asking in this thread because I own this TV. Please re-direct me if there's a better place to ask such a stupid question.
post #2853 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoB View Post

Congrats on scoring an E series. It's a fine display. What size do you have?
64 inches of course! Now, does anybody know where I can get some calibrated settings to plug in for a PN64E7000? I will use my WOW disc to adjust from there. Thanks.
post #2854 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

Please disregard the stupidity of this question if you don't intend on answering it with an equal amount of stupidity (that is, because I don't expect anyone to have done this):
Has anyone ever used some black material (some sort of cardboard, construction paper, or what have you) to "crop" your screen to 2.40:1 on the top and bottom to create an inky black letterbox, or for a film like TDK/TDKR that has a shifting AR and it can stay as letterbox?
I'm basically asking if this would "work," or if something would be off-putting about it even with the lights out that it would be noticeable?
Asking in this thread because I own this TV. Please re-direct me if there's a better place to ask such a stupid question.

It wouldnt work, becasue you would be "masking" the picture off. Tif you did what you wanted to, you would be chopping off any image once it opeend up and was NOT in a 2:40:1 "safe" shot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon13 View Post

64 inches of course! Now, does anybody know where I can get some calibrated settings to plug in for a PN64E7000? I will use my WOW disc to adjust from there. Thanks.

CNET or search this thread....
post #2855 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerchiarax View Post

Hi guys,
I've read that the game lag is not supposed to be that great on the E7000 and that the ST50 beats it in every way. My question is has anyone tried just switching the tv to PC mode? which is supposed to turn off all the tv's video processing. You can do this by editing the source.
Thanks...

So I ended up going for the 60E7000. I haven't gamed on it yet as most people say to wait after the 100 hour slide show preparation or even 1000 hours. Which I can live with.. So is anyone a gamer here that owns this tv? I was able to set the tv to PC mode just to see if I can do it.. Anyone know what the input lag is on this set when making this change and is it worth it?
post #2856 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

Please disregard the stupidity of this question if you don't intend on answering it with an equal amount of stupidity (that is, because I don't expect anyone to have done this):
Has anyone ever used some black material (some sort of cardboard, construction paper, or what have you) to "crop" your screen to 2.40:1 on the top and bottom to create an inky black letterbox, or for a film like TDK/TDKR that has a shifting AR and it can stay as letterbox?
I'm basically asking if this would "work," or if something would be off-putting about it even with the lights out that it would be noticeable?
Asking in this thread because I own this TV. Please re-direct me if there's a better place to ask such a stupid question.

As already been answered, it would not work. In fact it would essentially ruin key shots. You would have heads lopped off in the IMAX scenes. Just sit back and enjoy the full screen grandeur of TDKR and Avengers. smile.gif
post #2857 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stieg View Post

After further testing I think I may have had black tone set to "low" earlier, which is why I had to push contrast to 100. Taking a look again, leaving contrast at 95 but raising brightness one tick, 45 to 46, solved the issue.

So the fix is literally one tick of brightness from default 45 to 46, all other settings can be left at default (though I would recommend to anyone lowering sharpness). You can test this out for yourself on any fade to black that causes the issue. Set at 45 and you'll see the screen either turn off or flicker, rewind that same fade at 46 and the screen will stay on during the fade and not flicker. The only thing I did notice with brightness 46 is just the very lightest stray dither here and there near where letterbox bars and the picture area meet but you have to be right up at the screen; from a regular seating position you don't see this at all.

Brightness 45 and 46 looked virtually identical on my Disney WOW brightness test.

Thank you for this. Found your reply here via a Google search. In my case I own a Samsung PN58B860. My brightness was set to 45. Set it to 46 which resolved the issue. Love it! Have been putting up with this issue for far too long. Don't know why I never took the time to troubleshoot the issue. Thankfully I started up LOTR: FOTR this evening which reminded me of the issue and pushed me to jump online and see if others were experiencing the same. During the opening moments of LOTR: FOTR prior to the title appearing the screen remains black for a prolonged period of time as the narration begins. This is a particularly good example of the issue with my display which flickers on/off repeatedly. Completely takes you out of the moment. Very distracting. In any event, it's awesome to finally have this issue resolved (with a workaround anyway). Thanks again.
Edited by Low Profile - 11/26/12 at 6:33pm
post #2858 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfdawg View Post

I thought I liked warm better too, but apparently not. I'm a pretty simple guy. I watch a lot of football, and I like the colors to look as if I were physically at the game. I like the bright reds of my team's uniforms on a sunny day, but I like the grass looking like the real stuff, not the painted look. Oh well. I thought this was more of a science, but I guess it boils down to personal preference.


On my set, Movie mode and Warm 2, the grass on a football field looks quite realistic. I do understand your concern though - I would always prefer too cool to too warm. On some sets I've seen, Warm 2 is way too warm in temperature and would yield a displeasingly reddish image. Try Movie Mode with Warm 1. Or you could try Standard with Warm 1. But using any temperature setting other than Warm x will give you way too much blue caste to the image .
post #2859 of 4279
Hello!

Just bought a pn60e8000! Quick question...

Is there a break in period necessary? Should I not mess with the image setting ps during break in?

Thanks!
post #2860 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtrinity View Post

Hello!
Just bought a pn60e8000! Quick question...
Is there a break in period necessary? Should I not mess with the image setting ps during break in?
Thanks!

The need is up to you ;-) as you can see from the many posts on this forum there are those that do the slides and those that never do and never have issues.
post #2861 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

It wouldnt work, becasue you would be "masking" the picture off. Tif you did what you wanted to, you would be chopping off any image once it opeend up and was NOT in a 2:40:1 "safe" shot....

That was kind of the point on my end. I don't like shifting AR. I also heard those shots were cropped right down the middle for the 35mm theaters, or what have you. Maybe not, though?

Anyway, what kind of material would suffice for such a thing without looking ridiculous/detrimental?
post #2862 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

That was kind of the point on my end. I don't like shifting AR. I also heard those shots were cropped right down the middle for the 35mm theaters, or what have you. Maybe not, though?
Anyway, what kind of material would suffice for such a thing without looking ridiculous/detrimental?

I cant think of any material that would not look out of place.......This is not the same thing as a CIH screen, where is can blend with the "enviornment"...
post #2863 of 4279
My E7000 is custom. I kept my D7000 stand, and am using that one as opposed to the silver spider stand. The key is that the plastic piece that screws into the back of the TV and into the stand can be swapped because they both have the same dimensions on the stand end. It looks so much better!
post #2864 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I cant think of any material that would not look out of place.......This is not the same thing as a CIH screen, where is can blend with the "enviornment"...

Thanks. I was hoping that in a near pitch-black room, perhaps something could help address such a thing.
post #2865 of 4279
First time Plasma owner.

I picked up a PN51E8000 last week for $1200 from BB. I spent weeks researching which TV best met my needs and landed on the E8000. I wish I would've known about this buzzing and image retention/burn in issue. I have until January 24th to return/exchange this TV so I am going to give it at least a 4 week break in period to see if any of the two issues are resolved.

Are my television habits unsuitable for a Plasma TV? I'm a big ESPN nut. ESPN has a static red bar with "ESPN" at the bottom right corner that has already burned into this display. I realized this on day 3 of ownership. I have since been running the burn protection scrolling thing several times daily totaling 6 hours and it's still visible.

Is the buzzing a break in issue as well? Or is that a roll of the die, good set/bad set issue where I should just return it anyway?

I absolutely love the picture quality. Even in 3D it's incredible, breath taking even. Having said that though, if this is going to be an ongoing issue the best picture quality on the planet is just not worth this aggravation. I'm not interested in having a TV dictate what I watch and how long I watch it. God forbid I fall asleep watching something with a static image. I don't mind dropping another $500-800 on a similarly equipped LED UN55ES7003 or UN55ES7500. I definitely want 240hz with an LED set. I won't miss the voice commands/gesture controls, I haven't used them yet and have no intention of using them in the future. Would you recommend pulling the trigger on an LED or give this plasma a fair break in?

I appreciate the assistance gents.
post #2866 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbris84 View Post

First time Plasma owner.
I picked up a PN51E8000 last week for $1200 from BB. I spent weeks researching which TV best met my needs and landed on the E8000. I wish I would've known about this buzzing and image retention/burn in issue. I have until January 24th to return/exchange this TV so I am going to give it at least a 4 week break in period to see if any of the two issues are resolved.
Are my television habits unsuitable for a Plasma TV? I'm a big ESPN nut. ESPN has a static red bar with "ESPN" at the bottom right corner that has already burned into this display. I realized this on day 3 of ownership. I have since been running the burn protection scrolling thing several times daily totaling 6 hours and it's still visible.
Is the buzzing a break in issue as well? Or is that a roll of the die, good set/bad set issue where I should just return it anyway?
I absolutely love the picture quality. Even in 3D it's incredible, breath taking even. Having said that though, if this is going to be an ongoing issue the best picture quality on the planet is just not worth this aggravation. I'm not interested in having a TV dictate what I watch and how long I watch it. God forbid I fall asleep watching something with a static image. I don't mind dropping another $500-800 on a similarly equipped LED UN55ES7003 or UN55ES7500. I definitely want 240hz with an LED set. I won't miss the voice commands/gesture controls, I haven't used them yet and have no intention of using them in the future. Would you recommend pulling the trigger on an LED or give this plasma a fair break in?
I appreciate the assistance gents.

A few things you should note. I had two 51" E8000s which I both returned for a couple of reasons, prime of which was that I was sold both as new when they were refurbished. That said, neither of my TVs buzzed inordinately. However, Samsungs generally tend towards buzzing more than the Panasonic plasmas, often in the larger sizes. With respect to image retention, both my sets were not terrible at all in the IR department but neither was exemplary. What should be noted is that in several ways, the 51" E6500/E7xxxx/E8000 are quite different panels to their larger brethren. They are from reviews, as well as user experience, not nearly as image resistance as the 60-64" models are. There was the same experience last year with the Samsungs. They, furthermore, have black levels over twice as high as the larger models. If you can stretch towards a 60" E7000 I think that would be probably your best choice (provided it does not buzz). The E6500 is an even cheaper option but the video processing with it is somewhat inferior to the E8000 (from what I have seen personally and from reviews). The E7000 I believe would be closer to the E8000 without the gimmicks of the camera and voice control. The light output of the 60"+ would not be as high as perhaps you are accustomed to with the 51" but I don't think that would be a dealbreaker.
post #2867 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 View Post


I did not say that they had a deficiency in clarity - I said that clarity was better this year as described in above post. The images are very clear and crips, no dirty screen effect etc.... sorry if i confused you, that was not my intent.


god bless
I am a former D owner, and new E owner. To say much better clarity is very accurate. No dirty effect in whites (especially when panning), whites do not pop like the D, and the image is far sharper. Add no fbr and deeper blacks and the E triumphs. Side by side, not even close.
post #2868 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

A few things you should note. I had two 51" E8000s which I both returned for a couple of reasons, prime of which was that I was sold both as new when they were refurbished. That said, neither of my TVs buzzed inordinately. However, Samsungs generally tend towards buzzing more than the Panasonic plasmas, often in the larger sizes. With respect to image retention, both my sets were not terrible at all in the IR department but neither was exemplary. What should be noted is that in several ways, the 51" E6500/E7xxxx/E8000 are quite different panels to their larger brethren. They are from reviews, as well as user experience, not nearly as image resistance as the 60-64" models are. There was the same experience last year with the Samsungs. They, furthermore, have black levels over twice as high as the larger models. If you can stretch towards a 60" E7000 I think that would be probably your best choice (provided it does not buzz). The E6500 is an even cheaper option but the video processing with it is somewhat inferior to the E8000 (from what I have seen personally and from reviews). The E7000 I believe would be closer to the E8000 without the gimmicks of the camera and voice control. The light output of the 60"+ would not be as high as perhaps you are accustomed to with the 51" but I don't think that would be a dealbreaker.

I concur. I'm still in my break in period with a 64E7000 and I've seen zero IR. I have been fairly careful but I've watched some football on it and had dvd menus on there for 5 mins at a spell and . . . nada. My 151 Kuro shows more IR (though still very little) than the Sammy and the Kuro is almost 3 years old.
post #2869 of 4279
I just got a Samsung PN60E8000 60" 16:9 plasma tv and a Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray player. Then I went to the library and borrowed several Blu-ray movies that advertised 16:9 on the back.

Avatar
Harry Potter
Underworld

Avatar was beautiful and filled the screen! But the other two had black bars on top and bottom. Why is that? And no matter what settings I choose on the Blu-ray player or the tv I can't get rid of the bars.

I feel like a movie that specifies that it is 16:9 should be exactly 1.78 and should have no black bars on a 16:9 tv but apparently it doesn't work lik that?

Does anyone know how to get rid of the black bars on my particular tv or blu-ray player? I don't want to burn in those stupid black bars!

Thanks!
post #2870 of 4279
eek.gif
post #2871 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

eek.gif

I don't understand the eek.gif Whatever you're insinuating went over my head. I'm not sure why, but I'd like to understand the relevance of the eek.gif here. Thanks in advance.
post #2872 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtrinity View Post

Does anyone know how to get rid of the black bars on my particular tv or blu-ray player? I don't want to burn in those stupid black bars!
Thanks!

I don't think you can. If the display is new I would watch a lot of content that fills the screen or run the break in slides as a precautionary measure if you're concerned with IR and burn in.
post #2873 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

I don't understand the eek.gif Whatever you're insinuating went over my head. I'm not sure why, but I'd like to understand the relevance of the eek.gif here. Thanks in advance.

Probably in reference to the "black bars" post right above thiers......Since the other poster is new, they might know about the different aspect ratios, or know what to look for beside "16:9"....Unless they looked on the back and saw the aspect ratio it may be difficult for them to determine which movies will "fill the screen" and which ones will ahve black bars becasue the OAR is wider than the TV.....

Also, they have a seperate thread here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1442236/16-9-blu-ray-movies-and-black-bars

Where a few solutions\suggestions where made....
post #2874 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Probably in reference to the "black bars" post right above thiers......Since the other poster is new, they might know about the different aspect ratios, or know what to look for beside "16:9"....Unless they looked on the back and saw the aspect ratio it may be difficult for them to determine which movies will "fill the screen" and which ones will ahve black bars becasue the OAR is wider than the TV.....
Also, they have a seperate thread here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1442236/16-9-blu-ray-movies-and-black-bars
Where a few solutions\suggestions where made....

So instead of posting something that might help someone new, like you did, he or she posted a dumbass eek face poking fun at the poster? No, what kind of tool would do that?
post #2875 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

So instead of posting something that might help someone new, like you did, he or she posted a dumbass eek face poking fun at the poster? No, what kind of tool would do that?

The interweb is a big scary place, full of "interesting" characters. Generally this forum is very well-behaved, self-regulated and a great resource. But every once in a while...

Welcome to the best A/V forum on the web!
post #2876 of 4279
I have an onkyo nr515 receiver i was going to see if i can get anynet setup with it. I cannot seem to remember how to access it. Where is the settings for it?
post #2877 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtrinity View Post

I just got a Samsung PN60E8000 60" 16:9 plasma tv and a Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray player. Then I went to the library and borrowed several Blu-ray movies that advertised 16:9 on the back.
Avatar
Harry Potter
Underworld
Avatar was beautiful and filled the screen! But the other two had black bars on top and bottom. Why is that? And no matter what settings I choose on the Blu-ray player or the tv I can't get rid of the bars.
I feel like a movie that specifies that it is 16:9 should be exactly 1.78 and should have no black bars on a 16:9 tv but apparently it doesn't work lik that?
Does anyone know how to get rid of the black bars on my particular tv or blu-ray player? I don't want to burn in those stupid black bars!
Thanks!

Different movies have different sizes or aspect ratios. Black bars appear with wide (2.35:1) aspect films, which are the majority of non-animated movies. There are different picture aspect modes ("Picture Size") you can use with 2D movies to fill the screen. With 3D, you cannot stretch 2.35:1 movies to fill the whole screen, thus the black bars. To avoid that, especially while you are breaking in your new set, limit your 3D Blurays to 1.85:1 or lower films.
post #2878 of 4279
Hi guys,

Can someone that owns the E7000 do me a solid. I know I'm probably being too... cant think of the word so I'll say picky... But can you take a look at where your screen meets the bezel in the left and right bottom corner and let me know if yours is flush to the screen. I see a tiny gap and noticed a hair and a tiny furball that I was able to get out.. inside the gap when I was wiping the screen. Please take a look and let me know if you have the same gap. I'll probably take a picture after work... in case I'm not making much sense from my description.

Thanks...
post #2879 of 4279
Kind of on the fence with my tv decisions. I have last years 64d7000 and have this sitting in my family room and its a great tv no complaints whatsoever. Im in the market to pick up something for my bedroom and was tempted to go the LED route. I do like how vibrant and bright LEDs look compared to plasmas which led me to I pick up a un50es6580 (that im still waiting for delivery).

After reading the forums and how folks have been having issues with their es6500s I am having some potential buyers remorse. Im thinking I shouldve went with 51e7000. e7000 is current on sale for less $1k. And I picked up the es6580 from Costco for $1250 so I still have 90 days to return. Im really all about great picture quality, plan on watching HD movies and playing some video games. Anybody have advice on which route to take? I know this is the e7000 forum but Im just trying to get some perspective from owners who have compared these models before purchasing. Thanks for your help.
post #2880 of 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49GS400 View Post

Kind of on the fence with my tv decisions. I have last years 64d7000 and have this sitting in my family room and its a great tv no complaints whatsoever. Im in the market to pick up something for my bedroom and was tempted to go the LED route. I do like how vibrant and bright LEDs look compared to plasmas which led me to I pick up a un50es6580 (that im still waiting for delivery).
After reading the forums and how folks have been having issues with their es6500s I am having some potential buyers remorse. Im thinking I shouldve went with 51e7000. e7000 is current on sale for less $1k. And I picked up the es6580 from Costco for $1250 so I still have 90 days to return. Im really all about great picture quality, plan on watching HD movies and playing some video games. Anybody have advice on which route to take? I know this is the e7000 forum but Im just trying to get some perspective from owners who have compared these models before purchasing. Thanks for your help.

Not exactly sure how the e7000 compares to the e8000, but if they're at all similar I would definitely go with the Plasma over the 6580. I am experiencing a few issues with my e8000, but I'm hoping they're resolved with a proper break in. The only TV I am interested in replacing this e8000 with is an LED es7003 at BB for $1400. The 120hz models that I've looked at just don't hold a torch to the e8000 motion blur wise (es7003 is 240hz). Good luck with your decision making.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNXXE7000 - PNXXE8000 owners thread