or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Theatre Vs. GT750E?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Theatre Vs. GT750E?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
So I went to the CN Tower and saw the Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D and for the first time in a decade or more I was floored and pumped about AV. That was about 2 years ago. I rushed home and logged on to the net and dang......a decent projector that was just 3D ready was like 6K. Not to mention how complicated everything would be to get it up and running.

About 2 weeks ago I saw a clearance on a projector and came on here to ask about it and got into readin the threads again..........Then I stumbled upon this GT750E and have been up and down every thread, review, and video on the net. Of course there is the HD33/3300 and the LCD's(no thanks) After everything I have read and shopped for I have decided on this combo:

Optoma GT750E
Elite Screens 125" Electric ELECTRIC125H
PS3 for 3D

I will be sitting 14 feet from the screen.

Am I going to be blown away to have such treats right here in the home? Or am I going to feel like I am watching a lame attempt at the real thing?

I know the 750p is not as good as the 1080p Pj's out there, but from what I have read almost all content is in 720 anyway and the brightness of the GT750E and of the course the half price tag are calling me. Should I pull the trigger? I am hyper-ready. Just need this one last question or 2 answered!!!

Thanks in advance for your replies.
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pok3rpl8yer View Post

So I went to the CN Tower and saw the Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D and for the first time in a decade or more I was floored and pumped about AV. That was about 2 years ago. I rushed home and logged on to the net and dang......a decent projector that was just 3D ready was like 6K. Not to mention how complicated everything would be to get it up and running.

About 2 weeks ago I saw a clearance on a projector and came on here to ask about it and got into readin the threads again..........Then I stumbled upon this GT750E and have been up and down every thread, review, and video on the net. Of course there is the HD33/3300 and the LCD's(no thanks) After everything I have read and shopped for I have decided on this combo:

Optoma GT750E
Elite Screens 125" Electric ELECTRIC125H
PS3 for 3D

I will be sitting 14 feet from the screen.

Am I going to be blown away to have such treats right here in the home? Or am I going to feel like I am watching a lame attempt at the real thing?

I know the 750p is not as good as the 1080p Pj's out there, but from what I have read almost all content is in 720 anyway and the brightness of the GT750E and of the course the half price tag are calling me. Should I pull the trigger? I am hyper-ready. Just need this one last question or 2 answered!!!

Thanks in advance for your replies.

For the price, you will not find a better projector that does 3D
post #3 of 15
You cannot beat the bang for the buck with the GT750 especially in 3D. I have it hooked up to my PS3 and am extremely happy with the 3D performance even given the 720p resolution. Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D looked awesome...very bright and crisp. 720p 3D gaming is fantastic also. Go with the Optoma RF glasses.
The GT750 does show some RBE in 2D (saw it quite a bit on Chronicles of Riddick 2D last night but that film is a torture test for RBE.) RBE is much, much less in 3D. Contrast levels aren't the greatest given this price point but in 3D the darker glasses help quite a bit. Sometimes fast motion in 3D has jump/judder and I think the 750 could benefit from some frame interpolation (FI) in 3D...but you have to jump up big time in price point to find built-in 3D FI.
post #4 of 15
There is also the Acer H5360BD. I believe both the GT750 and the H5360BD get rave reviews by PC gamers.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pok3rpl8yer View Post

I know the 750p is not as good as the 1080p Pj's out there, but from what I have read almost all content is in 720 anyway

3D Blu-Ray movies are 1080P Frame packed. But yes a lot of tv/internet 3D content is 1080 SBS, 720P FP etc. Same with games accept some PC games I guess do 1080P 3D. But even the 1080P 3D projectors out now are not PC gamer favorites due to the low FPS and added input lag.
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

3D Blu-Ray movies are 1080P Frame packed. But yes a lot of tv/internet 3D content is 1080 SBS, 720P FP etc. Same with games accept some PC games I guess do 1080P 3D. But even the 1080P 3D projectors out now are not PC gamer favorites due to the low FPS and added input lag.

So this is an endorsement of the GT750E then? I thought bowing was goiing to be a problem and almost changed my mind, but aside from people mentioning, I cannot any evidence to support the claims.

I am done! GT750E and 125" Elite Screen ordering this weekend! Any more research will just make my decision clouded.
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

For the price, you will not find a better projector that does 3D

I hope to disprove this in a few days when my BenQ W710ST arrives. I had the GT750E and didn't like it (so I returned it). I really liked the GT720, but that died a horrible death when the DMD chip went bad. I was really biased towards the Optoma, but from my experience with the GT750E, it was not a good investment at all (and I really hate the RF glasses, too).

But then again, I can't really disprove your opinion. If the GT750E is working great for you, that's awesome. I wish I had a better experience with it. I wish my GT720 didn't die, either, as that was a really awesome 3D PJ (except the remote was terrible).
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pok3rpl8yer View Post

So this is an endorsement of the GT750E then? I thought bowing was goiing to be a problem and almost changed my mind, but aside from people mentioning, I cannot any evidence to support the claims.

I am done! GT750E and 125" Elite Screen ordering this weekend! Any more research will just make my decision clouded.

What will your source be for 3D? (PS3, 3DBD player, HTPC?) I had issues trying to get the 3D to work at first because the GT750E wouldn't recognize the device as 3D. I believe I went through the 3D Menu on my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 to enable the 3D and it finally was recognized by the GT750E, but at other times, the message still displayed that it didn't recognize the device as 3D. It took some time tweaking the settings to get it to finally work, but took even more tweaking with the small Optoma RF controller to dial in the 3D settings. You'll need to do this for the glasses to properly work (if you're using the RF glasses). You might get discouraged and disappointed at the same time, but if other people are saying that the 3D looked great, then...great. For me, I thought I had the controller set correctly but I still had severe ghosting and the 3D looked like $#!t, as compared to my GT720 where the 3D looked outstanding and I didn't have to tweak any settings (because I was using Nvidia 3D Vision - which the GT750E is not compatible with. It is compatible with 3DTV Play, but that isn't exactly the same as 3D Vision, and I couldn't get that to work. I think I was supposed to buy a license for it). IDK, I'll just wish you good luck with your purchase. Also, I'm not sure how sensitive your hearing is, but the RF glasses emit a high pitched sound from the left side. Actually, DLP link glasses do to, but it's barely audible. Good luck.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Honestly, I still have my Dell2200MP running in the family room with about 10000 hours on the bulb so I am sure the GT750E is going to be pretty fantastic compared to that. My worry is that it will look horrible compared to my Samsung 58" plasma which I use as a monitor daily for playing poker........hence the user name pok3rpl8yer. I sit in front of my 58" plasma all day and when I turn on the projector I don't want to be disappointed................The Dell 2200MP was a fantastic projector when I first got it for my eyes, but now it looks pathetic. If the GT750E is a ton brighter and handles 720p vs. the 4:3 Dell it should look pretty dang good shuoldn't it?

I have to be honest, the people in this forum are helpful. But there is so much opinion one way or another I don't know what to think. I have to just take my chances and go for it or I will go insane.

I need short throw or will have to settle for about 100"..........I want massive or what is the point? I want bright.............I watch mostly Satelite movies and Basketball and Football................I want the 3D as a bonus for some wow factor, I don't have a single friend who has even a decent projector let alone one with 3D, which apparently pops out of the screen................if anyone can name a projector which is more suited to these needs by all means speak up..........but if it is going to be a comparison of what is out there? I know what is out there! If I had more space The Mits HC4000 would be sooooooooooooo on the top of my list that you cannot imagine I hear it is the REAL DEAL..............but placement of that would be a nightmare for me and my screen would be only 100" vs. 125"........

So lets see?????

Mitsubishi HC4000 1080P with 100" screen and cables will run me about $700.00 more than The GT750E with 125" screen............is it that much better that I should make the sacrifce of 3D 25" of screen, more brightness and $700.00?

I mean if it really is night and day.........tell me! Save me the nightmare of buying something and being disappointed.

I am ranting a bit, but it is because I am so fed up with all the choices.....lol
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
oh......I forgot, my girl..the boss, has informed me we are waiting until the first of May to buy so that is going to give me more ttime to go insane thinking about all of this
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord View Post

I hope to disprove this in a few days when my BenQ W710ST arrives. I had the GT750E and didn't like it (so I returned it). I really liked the GT720, but that died a horrible death when the DMD chip went bad. I was really biased towards the Optoma, but from my experience with the GT750E, it was not a good investment at all (and I really hate the RF glasses, too).

But then again, I can't really disprove your opinion. If the GT750E is working great for you, that's awesome. I wish I had a better experience with it. I wish my GT720 didn't die, either, as that was a really awesome 3D PJ (except the remote was terrible).

I think I read a post from you on another website. I replied there, but anyways...I think you had a defective unit. My 3D rf glasses do not make a humming noise, I have 2 pairs and neither made any noise whatsoever. The 3D really shouldn't be that different from the Gt720.

That benq, for others reading this thread, is 3D capable not full 3D. You need a converter or nvidia kit. The issue with these converters is that I don't know about the VIP one but the optoma one does not come with a remote. I don't know why they make these without one. For 3D bluray, it's fine since it should auto recognize, same goes for ps3 games, but I usually have to select the type of 3D when i watch SBS or TnB.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

I think I read a post from you on another website. I replied there, but anyways...I think you had a defective unit. My 3D rf glasses do not make a humming noise, I have 2 pairs and neither made any noise whatsoever. The 3D really shouldn't be that different from the Gt720.

That benq, for others reading this thread, is 3D capable not full 3D. You need a converter or nvidia kit. The issue with these converters is that I don't know about the VIP one but the optoma one does not come with a remote. I don't know why they make these without one. For 3D bluray, it's fine since it should auto recognize, same goes for ps3 games, but I usually have to select the type of 3D when i watch SBS or TnB.

I have both the Nvidia 3D Vision and a 3D VIP Theater. BTW, the BenQ arrives today!

All active glasses gives off a slight hum, it's just the RF Optoma glasses I have are ttyge loudest. I have 3 sets and their all pretty loud.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord View Post

I have both the Nvidia 3D Vision and a 3D VIP Theater. BTW, the BenQ arrives today!

All active glasses gives off a slight hum, it's just the RF Optoma glasses I have are ttyge loudest. I have 3 sets and their all pretty loud.

Pretty sure that means you need to turn up the volume on your content. I am sure you are correct all active glasses make a sound, I sure haven't heard my first gen Panasonic's or either Acer, True depth DLP link glasses. But I also keep the volume turned up for some good LFE moments
post #14 of 15
I got the W710ST up and running and I was correct. For me (since I use 3D Vision), this is a far better 3D projector than both the GT720 and the GT750E. Out the box, the colors are amazing and doesn't look nearly as bad as the Optoma's while in default mode (which is 1280 x 720). I basically had to set the projector down on the monitor stand, adjust the legs for height and pull the stand back until the image fit on screen. Auto keystoning works like a charm initially but needed slight finessing. The W710ST also has 1.1 zoom adjustment. RBE is about the same, though.

The best thing about the W710ST is the setup. Recognized immediately as 3D Vision Ready, however, I'll admit, it took me about an hour to figure out that I had to enable 3D Vision from the projector menu in order to get it to "sync". The GT720 worked in any 3D mode (off, DLP Link, 3D Vision). Overall, I'm very happy with this projector and I don't have to make any adjustment to the glasses (because I'm not using the RF glasses. I may test those out at another time with the 3D VIP Theater).



About 8 feet from the wall, projecting on a 150" screen.


Time to play Fallout3 and Skyrim on the big screen
post #15 of 15
I have the GT 750, PS3, and using the newest gen Optoma RF glasses.

My mind has officially been blown! Easy to set up if u take your time (I went with ceiling mount) and I have a 15' screen that is amazing. You will probably be happy with a GT unless u are a projector snob.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Theatre Vs. GT750E?