or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › PART 2 -Having issues with your Panasonic DVD Recorder???---- (read)!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PART 2 -Having issues with your Panasonic DVD Recorder???---- (read)!!

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
sorry about the previous topic, I don't know what happened there.

Anyways, I am an owner of a Panasonic DMR-EH55 and have sent my unit into to fellow AVS member MICKINCT, and could not be happier with the results from his end...YES, I did have UPS lose track of the package for a week (lol) but MICKINCT was in constant contact with me and after he finally received the package, fixed my unit and within 1 day and had it shipped right back to me.

I can't strongly endorse using him enough if you are having any issues with your dvd recorder (especially Panasonics) He is professional, prompt and is on the ball at all times. I received very timely emails and phone calls with status updates.

So if you are in need of any repair or tweaking of your unit, send a PM to MICKINCT

Bill
post #2 of 45
Many of here have used MICKINCT for repairs since Panasonic took down their really good service center and replaced it with a NONservice center. My experience with MICKINCT parallels yours.
post #3 of 45
I agree completely. He recently fixed my EH55 in 1 day and had it sent back before I even missed it! He called and told me when it was ready and is a very nice guy who does very good, and sorely needed, work.
post #4 of 45
Sounds good. If any of mine ever pack up i would be willing to send to USA from Aus.
post #5 of 45
My nearly irreplaceable panny was acting like this:
youtubecom/watch?v=tJHyOwiEAIM
now it works like new.

I PM'd MICKINCT and he was very helpful and easy to talk to.
shipped back and forth from vegas to CT. no problems at all.
post #6 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0shl View Post

My nearly irreplaceable panny was acting like this:
youtubecom/watch?v=tJHyOwiEAIM
now it works like new.

I PM'd MICKINCT and he was very helpful and easy to talk to.
shipped back and forth from vegas to CT. no problems at all.

Thanks. Yes, I had one that sounded just like what you posted, or like any of the other two below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfs1m2mTKM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature..._ItV5RBUg&NR=1

The tell-tale beep-beep-beep-beep-burp! sound from the DVD drive is indicitive of a bad laser pickup. MICKINCT fixed mine and it too is working as well as ever.
post #7 of 45
Hello all,

Two months ago, I mentioned that I was having the problems with my Panny DMR-EH55S DVD recorder-would not record or play DVD's, was getting the "five beeps" when the I pressed the power button, etc.

Yesterday, I sent the recorder to MICKINCT for repair. With UPS, he won't be receiving the recorder (in Connecticut, I'm in California) until early next week.
I'll post an update to the forum after he's repaired the unit.

Marshall
post #8 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshfish View Post

Hello all,

Two months ago, I mentioned that I was having the problems with my Panny DMR-EH55S DVD recorder-would not record or play DVD's, was getting the "five beeps" when the I pressed the power button, etc.

Yesterday, I sent the recorder to MICKINCT for repair. With UPS, he won't be receiving the recorder (in Connecticut, I'm in California) until early next week.
I'll post an update to the forum after he's repaired the unit.

Marshall

From my experience. He will take care of you and make it right!!
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshfish View Post

Hello all,

Two months ago, I mentioned that I was having the problems with my Panny DMR-EH55S DVD recorder-would not record or play DVD's, was getting the "five beeps" when the I pressed the power button, etc.

Yesterday, I sent the recorder to MICKINCT for repair. With UPS, he won't be receiving the recorder (in Connecticut, I'm in California) until early next week.
I'll post an update to the forum after he's repaired the unit.

Marshall

Hello all,

I received my Panasonic DMR-EH55S DVD recorder back from MICKINCT last week. He replaced the unit's laser lens and the recorder is back to working great. I'm very pleased with MICKINCT. He repaired my recorder on the same day he received it from UPS, and then sent it back to me the next day. That's fast! There's no way it would be that quick if you sent the recorder to Panasonic in McAllen, Texas for repair. He also updated me by phone on the repair and when he sent it back to me.

So, if you need your Panasonic DMR-EH55S or other Panasonic DVD recorders repaired, MICKINCT is your best bet. I'd definitely recommend him.

Marshall
post #10 of 45
...and another satisfied customer.

Quote:


He repaired my recorder on the same day he received it from UPS, and then sent it back to me the next day. That's fast! There's no way it would be that quick if you sent the recorder to Panasonic in McAllen, Texas for repair.

Don't forget, he actually fixed it, which is by no means a certainty with McAllen.
post #11 of 45
Just wanted to relate another success story. I shipped my DMR EH-75 recorder to MICKINCT and got it back fast and in good working order. Those who posted before me are correct - he is definitely the one to go to for similar issues. Very attentive and provides up-to-the-minute status. Quick delivery, quality service - I would defintely recommend him. Thanks, again.
post #12 of 45
Me too. The other night I noticed that my Panasonic DMR EZ 28 was stuck in the record mode at about 25 min into a 30 min schedule more than an hour after the recording should have stopped.
The only way I could get it to quit was to un plug it. It then went through the cycling zeros on the display forever! I had to un plug it a few more times before it finished boot up.
Now all it says is " no read" tried multiple disks with no change.
Called and they had me do everything I had done with no change. Was told to try a lens cleaner and if it didnt work to send it to TX. I've worked with one of the Panasonic centers in the past and was less than pleased.
If the lens cleaner ( that I just got at Radio Shack) does not work
how do I contact Mickinct?

Thanks
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbig View Post

...how do I contact Mickinct?

Thanks

Just send him a PM here.
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbig View Post

Me too. The other night I noticed that my Panasonic DMR EZ 28 was stuck in the record mode at about 25 min into a 30 min schedule more than an hour after the recording should have stopped.
The only way I could get it to quit was to un plug it. It then went through the cycling zeros on the display forever! I had to un plug it a few more times before it finished boot up.
Now all it says is " no read" tried multiple disks with no change.
Called and they had me do everything I had done with no change. Was told to try a lens cleaner and if it didnt work to send it to TX. I've worked with one of the Panasonic centers in the past and was less than pleased.
If the lens cleaner ( that I just got at Radio Shack) does not work
how do I contact Mickinct?

Thanks

Try the reset button before pulling the AC cord. See the attached photo.

The most common problem is a dirty rubber hub. Lens cleaners do not address this routine service issue. This post might be helpful to narrow down the problem(s) with your DMR-EZ28:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

For more information send a private message to Mickinct.

Avoid the Panasonic McAllen Texas Wild Goose Chase.
LL
post #15 of 45
Hi Bearbig welcome to AVS, leave a call back ## in your pm.
post #16 of 45
Another question. Is this failure to be expected, or have I brought it upon myself. When I first started with Panna DVR's ( 17K) after burning a disk I would find the recording incomplete. As a result of this I now FF the disk after finalizing to check it before deleting the source data on my DVR.
I do not seem to have the incompete recordings any more after installing the latest (?) firmware. Guess I'm just paranoid.
post #17 of 45
If by 17k you mean one of the EZ-x7 models, IMO they were about as bad as Panasonic got. I had 6 which all died under warranty and even when they worked they would corrupt discs and fail to record, IMO they were basically crap! The EZ-28 is a fair amount better DVDR although not as reliable as pre '07 Panasonics.
I can't think of anything you yourself could have done to avoid this other than using top quality media(Tys or Verbatim -R or Verbatim or Sony -RWs) and not jarring the unit during recording. Direct to DVD burning is by it's nature prone to an occasional failure, laser lens failure also seem to happen on rare occasions for whatever reason.
post #18 of 45
Thanks.
I usually use Sony or Memorex -R disks.
post #19 of 45
I also use Sony discs but the reason I didn't mention them for -R use is because they are currently made by 2 mfgs. The "real" Sony DVDs(ID SONY16D1) are quite good. Sony also sells discs made by Ritek(ID RITEK) which like Memorex are quite poor. The problem is it's hard to know what Sonys you are getting when you purchase a spindle. The Sony discs I've tried that are made by Ritek are all the 16x white pearl top ones while the ones I've tested that are white flat top printable 16x are genuine Sony DVDs. Memorex DVDs are always of poor quality and made by CMC. Verbatim also makes a cheaper line called Life which is also made by CMC and not the best for DVDR use.
Many times the cheaper lines work OK in a PC but not so good in a standalone DVDR like your Panasonic.
post #20 of 45
Well micknct did it again. I sent my DMR EAZ 28 to him last sat. and got it back yesterday. Seems to be working fine so far. It recognizes disks again!
Hope you can keep getting parts so I can continue to use my DVD recorders.

Thanks
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbig View Post

Well micknct did it again. I sent my DMR EAZ 28 to him last sat. and got it back yesterday. Seems to be working fine so far. It recognizes disks again!

Hope you can keep getting parts so I can continue to use my DVD recorders.


Thanks
MICKINCT just returned my EH55 to me after the HDD dies, and the replacement didn't work. It was something much more complex than merey a bad hard drive. Apparently, the main board, or HDD control board had developed a fault, and that seemed to have done iin the HDD. I was unable to get the new HDD to work, or load the firmware. He fixed it in a day, so all in all, UPS had my recorder for two weeks, minus the one day he had it and repaired it. I haven't had much time to play with it, but I did make one nearly full +R DL disk with it and it worked properly. THAT kind of thing is usually a difficult thing, so I am confident.

MICKINCT does good work, and he's fast, AND he keeps me up to date on the progress, which is a LOT more than most repair facilities!
post #22 of 45
I am posting this on Wednesday night. After my DMR EZ28 died on me last weekend, I sent it to MICKINCT on Monday afternoon. He received it on Tuesday. And he got it back to me today. He kept me informed of all progress along the way and restored it to the point that it's running like new. Only two days after I shipped it out, it's back in action. I'm very satisfied and I recommend him to anybody else who needs a Panasonic repaired.

I am grateful to everybody on this forum who has posted to the lengthly threads on Panasonic repairs. I had already called Panasonic on Saturday and been directed to the McAllen facility (this was the same shaky deal I didn't go for a couple of years ago when my last machine went south and I didn't know the deal with the Elk Grove shop). A few seconds on Google pointed me here, and I spent hours reading all the things Panasonic doesn't want its customers to know. I appreciate you guys for passing the word to uninformed consumers like me on what not to do.

And now, if I have another issue with my Panasonic, I know where to turn.
post #23 of 45
I'm now adding my voice to the chorus of MICKINCT's fans. I just got my DMR-EH55 back from him after a successful repair, and it seems to be as good as new! I was getting U61 and U88 errors with nearly every DVD recording I made, and despaired of having missed the Elk Grove $130 repairs of old. Thank goodness that MICKINCT is out there providing great repair service on our older equipment. It's so frustrating that there just aren't any recorders being sold in the US that can do what those Panasonic HDD recorders can. I figured I was just out of luck until I found this thread.

MICKINCT is a professional repair guy in the best sense of the phrase. He's quick, he keeps you apprised of what's happening with your gear, and he actually FIXES stuff -- the first time!

Lance
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanceg View Post

....It's so frustrating that there just aren't any recorders being sold in the US that can do what those Panasonic HDD recorders can. I figured I was just out of luck until I found this thread.....
I don't disagree with what you've said(especially the Mickinct part) but I'm not sure if you know about the international Panasonics. While they may not be for everyone(no US tuner, no TVGOS/IR blaster and ever so slightly elevated black level) they are also a excellent option for someone looking for a HDD Panasonic.
I just recieved my second EH-59 today(open box from B&H Photo out of NY) and I love them. The new internationals are very much like your EH-55, again other than what I noted previously. Check out this thread for more info on the Panasonic models including internationals.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1134909/panasonic-dvd-recorder-us-models-years-produced-and-features/0_100
I use to have that thread in my signature but for various reasons that have to do with the new AVS format it doesn't work that way anymore frown.gif
post #25 of 45
Quote:
I just recieved my second EH-59 today(open box from B&H Photo out of NY) and I love them.

I like them too, and I use my EH59/69 recorders A LOT.

I noticed this morning, that very recently, B&H has raised the price of the new EH59 from$320 to $331, and lowered the price of a new EH69 from $430 to $428.50, yeah, a buck and a half.smile.gif World-import has the EH69 for $420.
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I don't disagree with what you've said(especially the Mickinct part) but I'm not sure if you know about the international Panasonics. While they may not be for everyone(no US tuner, no TVGOS/IR blaster and ever so slightly elevated black level) they are also a excellent option for someone looking for a HDD Panasonic.

Thanks, jjeff. I have been out of the loop for a while and was not aware of the International Panasonics. Since I am a DirecTV subscriber, I no longer use the tuner or TVGOS on my EH55, so I should probably look into it. While I was waiting for UPS to deliver my '55 on its trip back from MICKINCT, I was completely without DVD access, and was NOT HAPPY. Am I the only one with only one DVD player/recorder? I think it's time for one of those EH59s.....

Lance
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanceg View Post

Thanks, jjeff. I have been out of the loop for a while and was not aware of the International Panasonics. Since I am a DirecTV subscriber, I no longer use the tuner or TVGOS on my EH55, so I should probably look into it. While I was waiting for UPS to deliver my '55 on its trip back from MICKINCT, I was completely without DVD access, and was NOT HAPPY. Am I the only one with only one DVD player/recorder? I think it's time for one of those EH59s.....
Lance
I doubt you are the only one, but you might notice that many, if not most (possible almot all:D) of the regular posters on this forum have backup machines, just in case.
post #28 of 45
I have a panasonic DMR-ES45V that worked great for five years before the dvd drive died. I looked at the newer models that are out now with the idea to just get a new one, but after looking around I felt mine was better. I took it to a local repair shop with no luck. It took over a month for them to tell me they could not fix it. I was planning to toss it, when I found this forum and then Mickinct. After he fixed it, it now works good as new. Can not speak highly enough of the quality of his work. If you have a panasonic you wish to keep, you will not regret sending it to Mickinct.
post #29 of 45
Hey guys just thought I'd add to this thread what a life saver MICKINCT was. The dreaded laser malfunction struck just before the 4th of July. I quickly found this forum and joined so I could sent out a distress call. DigaDo heard my call and told me to pm Mickinct, which I did. Quickly Mickinct answered my cry for help. After speaking with him, I then packed up the unit and sent it out on tuesday the 3rd. He received it on the 5th had it repaired and functioning again the same day also test drove it WOW!!! We were in constant contact with one another every step of the way which made me feel so relieved. I now have the unit back and it works beautifully just like it never broke. Mickinct is a class act and gets my seal of approval. I know I can count on him in the future should anything else, god forbid, happen to my eh-55.Mickinct I hope you got to check out Joe Walsh that was on my HDD. And thank you for the SNL with guest host Mick Jagger that was cool.
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komar8 View Post

I have a panasonic DMR-ES45V that worked great for five years before the dvd drive died... I was planning to toss it, when I found this forum and then Mickinct. After he fixed it, it now works good as new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skewming View Post

Hey guys just thought I'd add to this thread what a life saver MICKINCT was... After speaking with him, I then packed up the unit and sent it out on tuesday the 3rd. He received it on the 5th had it repaired and functioning again the same day... I now have the unit back and it works beautifully just like it never broke.
These are not unusual for MICKINCT's repairs. I have similar experience(s) with his work. His prices are reasonable too, especially since devices like the EH55s and EH75s are all but irreplaceable and there is no competition--certainly NOT from Panasonic. frown.gif
Edited by Church AV Guy - 7/21/12 at 8:18am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › PART 2 -Having issues with your Panasonic DVD Recorder???---- (read)!!