or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Need Advice On A New Plasma TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need Advice On A New Plasma TV

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I have an older 42" 720p Panasonic plasma tv that I want to replace for my apartment. I'm thinking of getting newer 60". I'm looking to spend around $1k-1.5k. I really don't care about any apps or wifi or anything since I already have an Apple TV that handles all that. I'm going with plasma because all my tvs have been plasma and the every time I buy an LCD, I feel like the blacks aren't dark enough and the picture isn't as vibrant. Any ideas?
post #2 of 10
Thread Starter 
Oh ya I forgot, I don't like 3D so I'd rather not pay for that.
post #3 of 10
I'd go Panasonic ST30 (2011 model) or ST50 (2012 model). Unfortunately, the best 2D displays also throw in 3D (you sacrifice 2D PQ if you go with a 2D-only plasma).
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

I'd go Panasonic ST30 (2011 model) or ST50 (2012 model). Unfortunately, the best 2D displays also throw in 3D (you sacrifice 2D PQ if you go with a 2D-only plasma).


I respectfully disagree. If you don't need 3D and can find a 2D S30, you may save a few bucks. According to what I've seen on display, Scott Wilkinson's review at HT.com:http://www.hometheater.com/content/p...30-plasma-hdtv, along with the fact it shares the same panel and post processor, the S30 offers almost identical 2D performance when compared to the ST. As far as the 2012 models are concerned, the UT series is replacing the S, and although similar, they now have eliminated the AR filter. If light reflections are an issue for you, then by all means take a closer look at the ST50 instead.


Ian
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I respectfully disagree. If you don't need 3D and can find a 2D S30, you may save a few bucks. According to what I've seen on display, Scott Wilkinson's review at HT.com:http://www.hometheater.com/content/p...30-plasma-hdtv, along with the fact it shares the same panel and post processor, the S30 offers almost identical 2D performance when compared to the ST. As far as the 2012 models are concerned, the UT series is replacing the S, and although similar, they now have eliminated the AR filter. If light reflections are an issue for you, then by all means take a closer look at the ST50 instead.


Ian

Thanks!

So I can get a used buy good condition P60S30 for $1k, or I can get a new P65ST30 for $1.7k. What do you think?
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaf1don View Post

Thanks!

So I can get a used buy good condition P60S30 for $1k, or I can get a new P65ST30 for $1.7k. What do you think?

65ST30 for $1.7k

I got the 60ST30 and am very happy.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaf1don View Post

Thanks!

So I can get a used buy good condition P60S30 for $1k, or I can get a new P65ST30 for $1.7k. What do you think?

If you shop around, you should be able to find a new P60S30 for under $1.5, including shipping, on-line. Regardless which one you chose, make sure they are sold by an authorized dealer.


Ian
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaf1don View Post

I have an older 42" 720p Panasonic plasma tv that I want to replace for my apartment. I'm thinking of getting newer 60". I'm looking to spend around $1k-1.5k. I really don't care about any apps or wifi or anything since I already have an Apple TV that handles all that. I'm going with plasma because all my tvs have been plasma and the every time I buy an LCD, I feel like the blacks aren't dark enough and the picture isn't as vibrant. Any ideas?

If you don't care to drop in size then you can snatch the 55st50 for around your budget. Normally, I wouldn't recommend a new model especially considering that I bought a Panasonic plasma for the last 3 years an S1, S2, and the ST30 and the picture quality was minimal between the 3. (S2 and 2010 models have floating blacks, and this flaw I feel can be spotted by even the average viewer, therefore, I strongly recommend staying away from them.)

Now back to the point, I going to recommend the ST50 blindly because the hype seems really good from ISF calibrators D-nice and Chadb, not just some internet jargon article trying to make a sell. These guys are pretty good at telling it how it really is. D-nice quoting the ST50 as a beast and so forth. I'm not even going to mention black levels but supposely color accurary got a pretty good makeover and these sets are a quite a bit brighter. My st30 (2011) is a little on the dim side unless i run uncalibrated settings. I hope this helps.
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Just saw your reply guys. I ended up ordering the 65ST30 for $1,700 from Amazon. I hope its a decent panel for the price?
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgurl View Post

If you don't care to drop in size then you can snatch the 55st50 for around your budget. Normally, I wouldn't recommend a new model especially considering that I bought a Panasonic plasma for the last 3 years an S1, S2, and the ST30 and the picture quality was minimal between the 3. (S2 and 2010 models have floating blacks, and this flaw I feel can be spotted by even the average viewer, therefore, I strongly recommend staying away from them.)

Now back to the point, I going to recommend the ST50 blindly because the hype seems really good from ISF calibrators D-nice and Chadb, not just some internet jargon article trying to make a sell. These guys are pretty good at telling it how it really is. D-nice quoting the ST50 as a beast and so forth. I'm not even going to mention black levels but supposely color accurary got a pretty good makeover and these sets are a quite a bit brighter. My st30 (2011) is a little on the dim side unless i run uncalibrated settings. I hope this helps.

Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Need Advice On A New Plasma TV