or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Arrow" on The CW HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Arrow" on The CW HD

post #1 of 900
Thread Starter 
First Look

Old Smallville costume:



New Robin Hood-"esque" Arrow look.



IMO the Smallvile one is better. They go a bit too dark here. GA is not Bats.

Thoughts?
post #2 of 900
I don't think it's too dark. I think it's enough of a departure that people will not mistake this project for a "Smallville" spinoff (there are still people complaining about Hartley not getting the role.) While it's true Green Arrow is not Batman, they do have a lot in common, and I personally don't have a problem with this show having a darker tone. I'd rather see something that looks and feels more like "The Dark Knight" than another "Smallville." And this is coming from a Smallville fan.

Edit: I posted this before I really paid attention to the headline of the thread. It should be made very clear, this is NOT a Smallville spinoff and that is NOT Justin Hartley. Steven Amell is playing Oliver Queen in this pilot.
post #3 of 900
Thread Starter 
I did not know that. I'll have the mods change the topic.
post #4 of 900
His addition to Smallville in the first place was essentially be Bruce Wayne (since they couldn't get the TV rights to use him or something)
post #5 of 900
For more info on this pilot check out this site:
http://www.greenarrowtv.com/
This page is from the same guy who ran kryptonsite.com, which was a great Smallville site for that show's entire run.
post #6 of 900
If he doesn't have the VanGogh beard, he's not Green Arrow.
post #7 of 900
If I remember correctly, the Green Arrow's original costume on Smallville was more like the second photo. Only after they had brought him back several more times did they change to the costume in the first photo.
post #8 of 900
Thread Starter 
I guess the mods don't feel like changing the topic for me.

At any rate, yeah, he was wearing a sort of "cat-burglar" look to keep his identity hidden. As opposed to Clark who could move at high-speed and couldn't be seen if he wanted.
post #9 of 900
Cool! Green Arrow!
post #10 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I guess the mods don't feel like changing the topic for me.

Sorry DaveFi, I forgot.

Is it Ok now?
post #11 of 900
Thread Starter 
Yes. Better. It's not "Persecute the Mods Day".
post #12 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Yes. Better. It's not "Persecute the Mods Day".

Trust me, that's every day....
post #13 of 900
Arrow is one of the 5 new series CW ordered today for the 2012-13 season!

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/cw-p...cut-to-series/
post #14 of 900
I hope this is good... but I have some doubts.

There's no reason why it couldn't be good... and I think it is a good move to try and not connect to Smallville... but something in me keeps screaming that this isn't going to work.
post #15 of 900
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I hope this is good... but I have some doubts.

There's no reason why it couldn't be good... and I think it is a good move to try and not connect to Smallville... but something in me keeps screaming that this isn't going to work.

I'll watch it, but the fact it's on CW leads me to believe it will be youth targeted like Vampire Diaries.
post #16 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I'll watch it, but the fact it's on CW leads me to believe it will be youth targeted like Vampire Diaries.

Just the fact that they call it ARROW has me worried. Why try to hide the character's name? If Marvel had a TV show based on one of their heroes, would it be called just IRON or SURFER or WIDOW? It's almost like they're ashamed of it.
post #17 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Just the fact that they call it ARROW has me worried. Why try to hide the character's name? If Marvel had a TV show based on one of their heroes, would it be called just IRON or SURFER or WIDOW? It's almost like they're ashamed of it.

Probably they got some feedback from people thinking "Green Arrow" would be a car chase show....

..all kidding aside, though, perhaps they wanted something smoother to say that would bookend a title like Smallville. One word does that without the potentional for someone to hear it as "Green Narrow". Further, if they called it "Green Arrow" or "The Green Arrow", they'd have to choose the first costume or people would wonder why his costume wasn't green. Finally, alphabetically, Arrow would sort to the top of the listings, as apposed to the G's or (worse) mixed in with the T's in systems that don't ignore "The" when sorting.

It's like naming your company "AAA Printing" or "AAA Laundry". People see it first.
post #18 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Why try to hide the character's name?

Perhaps to avoid confusion, among non comic book fans, with the hideous Green Lantern movie.
post #19 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Just the fact that they call it ARROW has me worried. Why try to hide the character's name? If Marvel had a TV show based on one of their heroes, would it be called just IRON or SURFER or WIDOW? It's almost like they're ashamed of it.

They weren't paying attention to what happened with "John Carter". If they had added "...Of Mars" to the title, people would have had more of an idea what it was about. Probably would have done a lot better, too. It wasn't a bad popcorn movie and didn't deserve its fate, IMO.
post #20 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

They weren't paying attention to what happened with "John Carter". If they had added "...Of Mars" to the title, people would have had more of an idea what it was about. Probably would have done a lot better, too. It wasn't a bad popcorn movie and didn't deserve its fate, IMO.

Even worse is leaving the Burroughs name off. If the ads went something along the lines of "From Edgar Rice Burroughs, Creator of Tarzan! JOHN CARTER OF MARS!" (or A PRINCESS OF MARS), it might have been more helpful.
post #21 of 900
The least worrisome aspect of this show is the name "Arrow"... I don't care what they name it IF they do it right. I'm going to give it a chance, I'm just nervous about what they might go with.

Green Arrow runs the gamut from the silly trick arrows to serious drama, from the comics... so it really depends on where they draw their inspiration.
post #22 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

The least worrisome aspect of this show is the name "Arrow"...

It did fool me. When I saw the title I thought it was about this series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Arrow

post #23 of 900
Thread Starter 
Just a reminder, show premieres later tonight 8PM EST.
post #24 of 900
And get ready for the same cast of nay sayers to pop up here and tell us how much they hate this show that they will watch week after week.
post #25 of 900
I've heard the show starts off slow but so did "Nikita".

Regardless, I am willing to patient here.
post #26 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

And get ready for the same cast of nay sayers to pop up here and tell us how much they hate this show that they will watch week after week.
Congratulations on being the first complainer about complainers to issue a pre-emptive strike. rolleyes.gif
post #27 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post

I've heard the show starts off slow but so did "Nikita".
Regardless, I am willing to patient here.
I really liked the early seasons of "Smallville" (not so much the later ones), so I'm hoping for the best on this one. If it's another "The Cape", I doubt I'll stick with it.
post #28 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

And get ready for the same cast of nay sayers to pop up here and tell us how much they hate this show that they will watch week after week.
I'll do what I usually do. Record and archive the show - roughly track the forums - decide later if it justifies my attention.

For my pre-show complaint. smile.gif The "No Superpowers" premise (like Smallville's "No tights - no flights" rule) is a bit off-putting and seems a bit limiting for a Superhero show.
post #29 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

I'll do what I usually do. Record and archive the show - roughly track the forums - decide later if it justifies my attention.
For my pre-show complaint. smile.gif The "No Superpowers" premise (like Smallville's "No tights - no flights" rule) is a bit off-putting and seems a bit limiting for a Superhero show.

What about Batman? He's just a guy in freaky body armor with a lot of cool gadgets who can't get laid without the love of his life dying. He's like an S&M version of James Bond...
post #30 of 900
Cool gadgets can obviate the need for superpowers but even Batman has incredible strength, agility, fighting skills, and recuperative powers. Green Arrow's superpower is his uncanny skill with a bow and his specialty arrows are his cool gadgets, but he'll undoubtedly have Batman's physical skills as well. Let's face it: to be a legit superhero you have to be superhuman at some level.

And I repeat an earlier lament: Green Arrow without the VanGogh beard is an lame imposter. Heck, he wouldn't even have to grow one; it could be part of his disguise. If he's got time to pull on the hoodie, he's got time to glue on the beard, I say!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Arrow" on The CW HD