or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Arrow" on The CW HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Arrow" on The CW HD - Page 7

post #181 of 900
Lulz @ the unexpected dinner double date... What exactly did you think was going to happen... ?

It's refreshing how this show has something unique, but then quickly remind you it's duh dub u b.
post #182 of 900
I found it irritating that she was the one who suggested the double date (and Oliver tried to tell her that it was a bad idea), and then when she found out it was a bad idea, she got mad at him. Maybe she should listen next time.
post #183 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I found it irritating that she was the one who suggested the double date (and Oliver tried to tell her that it was a bad idea), and then when she found out it was a bad idea, she got mad at him. Maybe she should listen next time.

Chicks :P

But honestly stuff like this happens to people IRL. Said but true.
post #184 of 900
Green Arrow seems pretty cool. The guy goes to an island for 5 years and learns ninja skills, perfect aim with a bow and arrow, forensic science, chemistry, metallurgy, electronic engineering, and probably a bunch of other things I'm forgetting. We can assume he had his computer skills before the island university. Is there anything he can't do? Oh yeah, act, he can't act. That's the one thing he can't do.

I don't usually watch these goofy CW shows, so I want to make fun, but I am watching. There's some entertainment involved.
post #185 of 900
David Ramsey (Digg) and Colin Donnell (Tommy) are noticeably better actors when they share scenes with Amell.
post #186 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Green Arrow seems pretty cool. The guy goes to an island for 5 years and learns ninja skills, perfect aim with a bow and arrow, forensic science, chemistry, metallurgy, electronic engineering, and probably a bunch of other things I'm forgetting. We can assume he had his computer skills before the island university. Is there anything he can't do? Oh yeah, act, he can't act. That's the one thing he can't do.
I don't usually watch these goofy CW shows, so I want to make fun, but I am watching. There's some entertainment involved.

I think he was hired more for his physique than his thespian skillset. That thing he does with the chin-up bar is insane. But he's not really that bad an actor; I've seen worse. This isn't Shakespeare. And with all the practice he's getting from doing a weekly TV show, he'll likely improve as he goes along.
post #187 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I think he was hired more for his physique than his thespian skillset. That thing he does with the chin-up bar is insane. But he's not really that bad an actor; I've seen worse. This isn't Shakespeare. And with all the practice he's getting from doing a weekly TV show, he'll likely improve as he goes along.

true, remember that before starting smallville tom welling had no acting experience at all and if you do a "im sick/bored so im going to watch an entire tv series" viewing his acting noticeably improves from season to season; if this show gets a second season im sure that amell's acting might improve by then
post #188 of 900
I can't tell if Welling's portrayal is supposed to be that bland or if his acting truly sucks.
post #189 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I think he was hired more for his physique than his thespian skillset. That thing he does with the chin-up bar is insane. But he's not really that bad an actor; I've seen worse. This isn't Shakespeare. And with all the practice he's getting from doing a weekly TV show, he'll likely improve as he goes along.

Amell was one of 3 finalists to replace Andy as Spartacus after he died. He actually thought he'd gotten the role, but they chose Liam McIntyre instead. Amell probably was too pretty and McIntyre did resemble Andy more. That said, after watching Liam as Spartacus and Amell as Arrow, I think Amell would have been the better choice. His physique and magnetism (and acting chops) would have fit Spartacus like a glove. Amell admitted he can't watch Spartacus anymore and he loved the show...too painful for what might have been.
post #190 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I think he was hired more for his physique than his thespian skillset. That thing he does with the chin-up bar is insane. But he's not really that bad an actor; I've seen worse. This isn't Shakespeare. And with all the practice he's getting from doing a weekly TV show, he'll likely improve as he goes along.

Can't say I think he'll win an Oscar either but he fulfills all the necessary requirements to look moody, jump around and shoot people with arrows. He might get some more scenes further down to flex his acting as much as he does his muscles, but for now I'm fine with his ability to jump and shoot while glowering.
post #191 of 900
OMG - JB is back in the game!
Edited by ltownsend - 12/12/12 at 6:03pm
post #192 of 900
I went to middle school with Tom Welling. smile.gif I could never watch Smallville. Only a watched a few minutes of couple shows, and I had no idea the guy playing superman was a kid I went to school with, until much later.
post #193 of 900
The character I like the least on Arrow is the IT girl. Everything about her screams "CW Approved" from the fact she's about 20 and is some kind of IT guru in a major company, to the trending adorkability mannerisms and nerd glasses - which will undoubtedly be removed at some point to reveal that she's actually quite gorgeous and not a geek at all. Surprise!

Her MS Surface promo scene this week was hilariously stupid. She has the ability to identify metals and patents by looking at them and then hacks into the shipping manifest by searching on Bing. rolleyes.gif

I'm also slightly confused how Queen managed to get to hospital with seemingly the barbed and serrated bone-slicing tips of many arrows removed by Diggle. Is he a surgeon now?

I also completely forgot that Stephen Amell had a role on Hung. From what I remember he was quite good on that show playing a completely different type of character, so maybe I've undervalued him as an actor.
post #194 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The character I like the least on Arrow is the IT girl. Everything about her screams "CW Approved" from the fact she's about 20 and is some kind of IT guru in a major company, to the trending adorkability mannerisms and nerd glasses - which will undoubtedly be removed at some point to reveal that she's actually quite gorgeous and not a geek at all. Surprise!
Her MS Surface promo scene this week was hilariously stupid. She has the ability to identify metals and patents by looking at them and then hacks into the shipping manifest by searching on Bing. rolleyes.gif
I'm also slightly confused how Queen managed to get to hospital with seemingly the barbed and serrated bone-slicing tips of many arrows removed by Diggle. Is he a surgeon now?
I also completely forgot that Stephen Amell had a role on Hung. From what I remember he was quite good on that show playing a completely different type of character, so maybe I've undervalued him as an actor.

I already went over this, he was a student at Island University. He learned all major areas of study in 5 years. Along with ninja fighting and acrobatics and perfect bow and arrow aim. I haven't seen the show in question, but I wasn't sure when writing this. I'm guessing you're referring to Diggle as the surgeon? Someone with so many skill sets, could easily teach his partner in vigilantism these skills.
post #195 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I think he was hired more for his physique than his thespian skillset. That thing he does with the chin-up bar is insane. But he's not really that bad an actor; I've seen worse. This isn't Shakespeare. And with all the practice he's getting from doing a weekly TV show, he'll likely improve as he goes along.

His training montages are becoming a bit predicitable. Shooting the tennis balls with arrows a few weeks ago was kinda cool. The chin-up bar is impressive. Presumably this show tilts toward a male audience. Where's the female superhero training facility? When does Laurel strip down and do something cool? The first few episodes showed potential but if I the next episode has Amell cruising around Sterling City in a TransAm with his shirt off, I'm probably done.

On a separate note can anyone explain DC's apparent facination with "L" names for women?
Lana Lang
Lois Lane
Laurel Lance

I was a Marvel guy as a kid so I'm not sure if this is an actual trend or just a peculiar fluke with Arrow and Superman.

As for "Arrow" I'm ready to drop the CW/GossipGirl style love triangle between Arrow, Laurel, & Tommy. It's too contrived and awkward/painful to watch. Tommy isn't going to win this fight. If Tommy is supposed to use that bitterness to turn into Arrow's arch enemy fine but please hurry up and get on with it.
post #196 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

On a separate note can anyone explain DC's apparent facination with "L" names for women?
Lana Lang
Lois Lane
Laurel Lance

Lex Luthor
post #197 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

On a separate note can anyone explain DC's apparent facination with "L" names for women?
Lana Lang
Lois Lane
Laurel Lance

Lex Luthor

Lucy Lane
Lionel Luthor

...and a bunch more. A Stan Lee joke maybe?
post #198 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

His training montages are becoming a bit predicitable. Shooting the tennis balls with arrows a few weeks ago was kinda cool. The chin-up bar is impressive. Presumably this show tilts toward a male audience.

Are you kidding? It's the SqueeeeeW! It's a network still generally aimed at teen girls with a nod in the direction of the guys. Why do you think Queen is shirtless so often?

If Sam and Dean on Supernatural looked like two old slobs with faces like smashed buckets I expect that show would have never have made the WB transition. Sam still having the wavy long hair even though he pretends to work for the FBI nearly every other week could only be explained by a CW mandate to appeal to his teen girl fans.

I'm just glad this show didn't appear two or three years ago when Dawn Ostroff was in charge, because I imagine the romance would be much, much higher and the pointy-things-in-the-chest ratio would be much lower. At least now the network has realized that trying to appeal solely to one demo on network is a stupid idea.
post #199 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Lucy Lane
Lionel Luthor
...and a bunch more. A Stan Lee joke maybe?

Stan Lee is Marvel. This is the DC universe.

I remember reading a Superman comic when I was a kid which dealt with all the LL's in Superman's life, although the exact plotline has long since drifted away. Looks like the LL name thing carried over to other DC characters as well, or at least this one.

I was really hoping Oliver had a Kevlar vest or something that those arrows got stuck in. Three of those huge arrowheads inbedded in his shoulder would have done all kinds of internal damage.
post #200 of 900
DC is in it for the L of it.
post #201 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I was really hoping Oliver had a Kevlar vest or something that those arrows got stuck in. Three of those huge arrowheads inbedded in his shoulder would have done all kinds of internal damage.

That's what I initially thought too. To survive three of those high-tech arrows in his shoulder I thought he had come prepared.

Then there was the moment he broke the shafts by slamming them against a wall. Didn't they say they shafts were made from some super-strong advanced material tech like carbon fiber? They broke very easily and didn't manage to rupture anything internal in the process.
post #202 of 900
What I want to know is why it is raining outside every time Oliver is in his lair. The warehouse he's using for his hideout does not appear to be located under a waterfall in the exterior shots, so I hope there is an explanation I missed for the downpour that's visible through the window in every training scene.
post #203 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

What I want to know is why it is raining outside every time Oliver is in his lair. The warehouse he's using for his hideout does not appear to be located under a waterfall in the exterior shots, so I hope there is an explanation I missed for the downpour that's visible through the window in every training scene.

He only goes out vigilanting when the weather is bad.

That's why he wears a hood. biggrin.gif
post #204 of 900
Quote:
A Stan Lee joke maybe?
Quote:
Stan Lee is Marvel. This is the DC universe.

Well, you got me. I am not and never have been a comic book (graphic novel?) fan. At one time I was intrigued by all the "L. L." names in the show Smallville, so I went to a few web sites, and one of them credited Stan Lee. I read it on the internet, so it must be true, RIGHT? biggrin.gif You caught my ignorance showing. (No one corrected HIM in the comments section of his page. rolleyes.gif)
post #205 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I went to middle school with Tom Welling. smile.gif I could never watch Smallville. Only a watched a few minutes of couple shows, and I had no idea the guy playing superman was a kid I went to school with, until much later.

Do tell - what was he like?
post #206 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Well, you got me. I am not and never have been a comic book (graphic novel?) fan. At one time I was intrigued by all the "L. L." names in the show Smallville, so I went to a few web sites, and one of them credited Stan Lee. I read it on the internet, so it must be true, RIGHT? biggrin.gif You caught my ignorance showing. (No one corrected HIM in the comments section of his page. rolleyes.gif)

I confess to spending a large portion of my mis-spent youth with my face buried in comic books, as they used to be known. They only cost 12-15 cents back then!

It wasn't all a waste of time, no matter how many times my mother told me that... The amazing artwork of the comic world - especially giants like Russ Manning of Gold Key and Jack Kirby at Marvel - influenced me to practice my drawing skills which were later incorporated into my eventual career. I had a terrific collection, up until my mom cleaned out the basement and threw most of them away while I was at college. I still mourn their loss. frown.gif
post #207 of 900
Alliteration has a deep history in comic books, at both companies.

Peter Parker, Reed Richards, Susan Storm, Bruce Banner...

The multiple double-L names are just extreme alliteration.
post #208 of 900
Can't believe I remember this...but don't forget Linda Lee (Supergirl), Lori Lemaris (the mermaid) and Lucy Lane (Lois' sister). Stan Lee's brother is Larry Lieber.
post #209 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I confess to spending a large portion of my mis-spent youth with my face buried in comic books, as they used to be known. They only cost 12-15 cents back then!
It wasn't all a waste of time, no matter how many times my mother told me that... The amazing artwork of the comic world - especially giants like Russ Manning of Gold Key and Jack Kirby at Marvel - influenced me to practice my drawing skills which were later incorporated into my eventual career. I had a terrific collection, up until my mom cleaned out the basement and threw most of them away while I was at college. I still mourn their loss. frown.gif
] She might have thrown out a small fortune with them depending on their condition and what they go for online.
post #210 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

] She might have thrown out a small fortune with them depending on their condition and what they go for online.

Nah, they were way too dog-eared and tattered, having been read and re-read dozens of times, with soda and hot-dog stains, etc., to appeal to collectors. But they were priceless to me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Arrow" on The CW HD