or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Ep4000 + 2x eD 13av2's. Questions...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ep4000 + 2x eD 13av2's. Questions...

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Im looking at picking a couple of these drivers up to run in a new home theater in the house my roommate is buying.

I want to configure them in seperate ported enclosures, similar to what the P7-650 sub from eD is.

Basically like a 15x15 footprint, downfiring, and as tall as they need to be for the proper amount of displacement.

What im trying to figure out is if an ep4000 is too much amp for the two of them. I was thinking of running one off each channel, but wasnt sure if i should order them as dual 2ohm or dual 4ohm voice coils.
post #2 of 18
I would call and ask Alex at ED tomorrow. He would know best.
post #3 of 18
These aren't exactly great HT drivers. Any reason you want to run them? If you really want that footprint, I'd suggest using a 15" driver, perhaps one of the SSD XCON 15s or whatever the latest 15" rage is. There are many threads going on, as these drivers will have a good deal more displacement than the 13av.2


As for your question, an EP4000 will be able to bottom them out or smoke the coils if pushed too hard, but you don't have to run them hot. Same with any amp with a lot of power, it's better to have the headroom and not use it.
post #4 of 18
These are on sale right now making them a pretty good deal. They can handle 1000 watts in a properly designed ported enclosure, the ep4000 puts out 650 x2 @4ohm. You will need something like a minidsp to set a hpf. Output isn't the greatest due to low sensitivity, but it's still good.
post #5 of 18
I've personally roasted a 13av.2 in a sealed enclosure with half of an LT1300. Go figure. If it's on sale though, might be worth it.
post #6 of 18
I can't speak on if they actually meet their rated power handling, but a sealed box can amplify issues as I'm sure you're well aware (Mal-X).

With 1000 watts and an 18hz HPF. 15" x 15" x 50" box with a 1.5" x 13.5" x 33.5" slot port. With 650W it peaks at 20.5mm
LL
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

I can't speak on if they actually meet their rated power handling, but a sealed box can amplify issues as I'm sure you're well aware (Mal-X).

With 1000 watts and an 18hz HPF. 15" x 15" x 50" box with a 1.5" x 13.5" x 33.5" slot port. With 650W it peaks at 20.5mm


I too have owned multiple 13av.2s for HT use. I wouldn't try to use more than 650watts per driver either. Notnyt is referring to the awful sound they make when running out of excursion sealed. At their current price I see no problem purchasing them. Their output gets a little over hyped, but keep in mind they are essentially a 12" driver so don't expect earth rattling output from a tiny package. If you want more output run them ported.
post #8 of 18
I will let you know as I am testing some out soon. Notnyt ran 120 dB sweeps with them which was probably a bit too much for 4 of them in his room. They do have great displacement for a small driver and the new price makes them much better. I would have never tried them at the regular price due to DIY options but at the current price I am trying them out.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I will let you know as I am testing some out soon. Notnyt ran 120 dB sweeps with them which was probably a bit too much for 4 of them in his room. They do have great displacement for a small driver and the new price makes them much better. I would have never tried them at the regular price due to DIY options but at the current price I am trying them out.

The sweeps of them may have been inaccurate as well not sure.
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

The sweeps of them may have been inaccurate as well not sure.

I would agree. According to the specs it would take 2.5 of the 13's to equal one of the LMS5400 as displacement is concerned. Now, there are other factors than just displacement.
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I would agree. According to the specs it would take 2.5 of the 13's to equal one of the LMS5400 as displacement is concerned. Now, there are other factors than just displacement.

They could measure flat to low frequencies in sealed boxes, they just could not get that loud below 35hz without bottoming out. I think if whoever assembles them takes a bit more care with the tinsels, you may be able to avoid some of the noise they make before reaching their xmax.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

They could measure flat to low frequencies in sealed boxes, they just could not get that loud below 35hz without bottoming out. I think if whoever assembles them takes a bit more care with the tinsels, you may be able to avoid some of the noise they make before reaching their xmax.

I am trying out a few of them myself to compare against what I have now, it should be interesting. These were designed for small boxes to use their full potential so bigger HT boxes will tax them faster.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I am trying out a few of them myself to compare against what I have now, it should be interesting. These were designed for small boxes to use their full potential so bigger HT boxes will tax them faster.

It was in eD's own box that I was having issues. I've learned much since then. The subs did well 35hz and above, but lacked displacement for meaningful output below there.
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

It was in eD's own box that I was having issues. I've learned much since then. The subs did well 35hz and above, but lacked displacement for meaningful output below there.

I will let you know how they do in my room.
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I will let you know how they do in my room.

A fart would pressurize your room. Still, I look forward to your impressions.
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

A fart would pressurize your room. Still, I look forward to your impressions.

True, but I still lose 12 dBs at my seat from the subs and I am on concrete. The pressure is easy, the moving of the hair and such is not. How much do you lose from the subs to the seats? Also, now with a accurate mic my room gain is about 10 dBs at 10hz .
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgse3 View Post

keep in mind they are essentially a 12" driver

They are definitely a 12" driver. I have four baskets from these subs that I'm making into LMS drivers and Sundown 12" cones fit perfectly.
post #18 of 18
I bought one of the drivers not long ago. Off the top of my head, my internal measurements were 14 by 14 although I don't recall the height. It ended up at around 3 cu ft and was ported to 20hz. I don't have enough amp yet to push it but I will soon. There is definitely a lot deeper output than my 15" crewing vega but that's not much of an example compared to any real sub you'd find on here.

I too modeled mine after the p7-650.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Ep4000 + 2x eD 13av2's. Questions...