or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › More Ghibli titles Incoming!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

More Ghibli titles Incoming! - Page 2

post #31 of 214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Are Disney dnr-ing these, like they do their own movies?

Nope, grain was intact on Nausicaa. Studio Ghibli themselves handled the HD transfers, and they all look great based on what I have seen so far. (Castle is astonishing compared to the crap dvd put out in 03)
post #32 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Nope, grain was intact on Nausicaa. Studio Ghibli themselves handled the HD transfers, and they all look great based on what I have seen so far. (Castle is astonishing compared to the crap dvd put out in 03)

Bloody hell, I am shocked they must use a different chain
post #33 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Are Disney dnr-ing these, like they do their own movies?

Previous Ghibli titles that have been DNRed for their UK releases were not DNRed for their NA releases. Hopefully they continue to be released unmolested.
post #34 of 214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post


Previous Ghibli titles that have been DNRed for their UK releases were not DNRed for their NA releases. Hopefully they continue to be released unmolested.

Even then the DNR was barely noticable.
post #35 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Even then the DNR was barely noticable.

I disagree rather strongly about that, but I'm not going to make an issue out of it.
post #36 of 214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post


I disagree rather strongly about that, but I'm not going to make an issue out of it.

I must have seen different screens then, the ones that I saw were only missing a few lines in fast moving scenes.
post #37 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Are Disney dnr-ing these, like they do their own movies?

Unfortunately no; all artifacts are retained.
post #38 of 214
Amazon.com has "The Secret World of Arrietty, Castle In The Sky, and Whisper of The Heart listed as being released on May 22, 2012.
post #39 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 View Post

Unfortunately no; all artifacts are retained.

Wait, what?
post #40 of 214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post


Wait, what?

I think he wanted them redone like the recent Disney movies. (Lion King, Beauty and the Beast...)
post #41 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I think he wanted them redone like the recent Disney movies. (Lion King, Beauty and the Beast...)

With DNR, missing lines missing shadows?
post #42 of 214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post


With DNR, missing lines missing shadows?

Well at least the end result still looked good. Most DNR jobs are complete crap, but the Disney stuff is usually very well done and resembles a modern animation.

However, Miyazaki himself is handling these HD remasters, and he likes the film look, so no room to argue on this one.
post #43 of 214
My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies will be available in Japan 7/18/2012. I'm hoping for a faster transition to a US/Disney release this time. $90 per film is a lot of money, but I'm not sure I can wait a few years on this...
post #44 of 214
With a name like "Catbus" I can't imagine you would wait! The Japanese version will have english subs, that's enough for me. I already have TOTORO pre-ordered!!!
post #45 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post

With a name like "Catbus" I can't imagine you would wait! The Japanese version will have english subs, that's enough for me. I already have TOTORO pre-ordered!!!

I can wait a LITTLE bit. Under normal circumstances I'm a really cheap bastard and can wait a very long time for a much less significant price drop, but as you pointed out, these are not normal circumstances...
post #46 of 214
Thread Starter 
The Japanese release includes English audio. The much cheaper Hong Kong release is sub only. (yes, it is an official release) Check Playasia for prices on both.
post #47 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The Japanese release includes English audio. The much cheaper Hong Kong release is sub only. (yes, it is an official release) Check Playasia for prices on both.

No, I need English audio for my kids and I need grain for my sanity, so AFAICT the Japan and US releases are my only bets. I'm fine waiting. Really I am. Am I convincing anyone of my patience, because I'm sure not convincing myself...
post #48 of 214
Thread Starter 
The only one I will import is Mononoke. I will stick with my DVDs until the US bluray comes out for the rest of them. I'm not that desprate for HD Ghibli. (and it's not like the DVDs are terrible)
post #49 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I'm not that desprate for HD Ghibli.

I hear you. I'm desperate for certain HD Ghibli. I've imported NAUSICAA, CASTLE IN THE SKY and HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE. There's a good chance TOTORO will be the last Ghibli I import (overpay for), as I feel these are Miyazaki's best.

So far, the PQ on all three transfers has been amazing. I expect TOTORO to continue that trend!!!
post #50 of 214
Thread Starter 
Luckily I found Whisper and Castle on amazon when I did, because both were in my playasia cart at the time and I was almost ready to pull the trigger... Hopefully the Ghibli releases speed up now, because the gap between Nausicaa and Castle was just too much.
post #51 of 214
I want Mononoke, Spirited Away, Castle In The Sky, Totoro (Don't hate, I actually grew up with it!), Howl's Moving Castle, Porco Rosso, and Castle of Cagliostro. The rest I don't care much for.
post #52 of 214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

I want Mononoke, Spirited Away, Castle In The Sky, Totoro (Don't hate, I actually grew up with it!), Howl's Moving Castle, Porco Rosso, and Castle of Cagliostro. The rest I don't care much for.

Totoro was great, but that new Disney dub sucks. The previous dub had so much charm to it. I had to stop the movie because of the souless dub. I fear for the US bluray release.

So far the only Ghibli film that I haven't watched all the way through is the Yamada's (got bored) and the only one that I have watched only once is Grave, for obvious reasons. (still makes my eyes water remembering it)

All of the rest I have enjoyed greatly and watch regularly. Ghibli films just have a certain spark to them that no other animation studio can match.
post #53 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Totoro was great, but that new Disney dub sucks. The previous dub had so much charm to it. I had to stop the movie because of the souless dub. I fear for the US bluray release.

So far the only Ghibli film that I haven't watched all the way through is the Yamada's (got bored) and the only one that I have watched only once is Grave, for obvious reasons. (still makes my eyes water remembering it)

All of the rest I have enjoyed greatly and watch regularly. Ghibli films just have a certain spark to them that no other animation studio can match.

I agree that the Disney-Pixar dubs are....well, let's not say anything other than they are what they are and could be a lot better. I think the problem with the Pixar-supervised dubs -and I say that this could be extended to the more recent ones as well- is that they didn't really choose voice talent based on quality of the actors, they just picked recognized/current it person talent and gave them a playground to act in. Not how you want to do animation unless you're just going for marketing jizz but the supporting actors who played secondary characters were very well chosen in my opinion and better than the main characters for the roles they played.
post #54 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

...the Disney-Pixar dubs...could be a lot better.

They could also be a lot worse. I'm not a huge fan of the new Kiki or Totoro dub, but Porco Rosso's original dub had nowhere to go but up... that said, I doubt my kids care either way. Can't wait until they can read!
post #55 of 214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post


They could also be a lot worse. I'm not a huge fan of the new Kiki or Totoro dub, but Porco Rosso's original dub had nowhere to go but up... that said, I doubt my kids care either way. Can't wait until they can read!

New Kiki dub? Was there a pre Kirsten dub? I know they trimmed a few lines and changed the intro song in the gold release...

And that first Porco dub... *shivers*
post #56 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

New Kiki dub? Was there a pre Kirsten dub? I know they trimmed a few lines and changed the intro song in the gold release...

And that first Porco dub... *shivers*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiki%27s_Delivery_Service

Actually I don't mind most of the new Kiki dub, just the new Jiji...
post #57 of 214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiki%27s_Delivery_Service

Actually I don't mind most of the new Kiki dub, just the new Jiji...

I would hardly call a 1998 dub new... Did not know about the Streamline version, fun piece of Ghibli history.

Phil did change Jiji around quite a bit from the original character (threw me off the first time I listened to the Japanese dub) but Miyazaki did approve it and it added a lot of charm to the English dub. I'm just glad I have a copy of the old US dubs for all the movies (except for the streamline Kiki) some of the new changes throw me off (I miss "I'm gonna Fly")

And it can be fun to shock long term Porco fans with the pre Disney dub.
post #58 of 214


post #59 of 214
Thread Starter 
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...li-film-in-u.s

Not too shabby all things considered.
post #60 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Not too shabby all things considered.

However, not so great vis-a-vis their potential, either, I would say. Funnily enough, things like marketing campaigns tend to help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › More Ghibli titles Incoming!