or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Denon AVR-5805 - Main speakers have no bass...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon AVR-5805 - Main speakers have no bass...

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hello to all!

I recently got a Denon AVR-5805 and Ive been in the process of setting it up. However, I am having difficulty getting good bass response from the main speakers. basically when im listening to stereo, it should have GOOD amounts of low frequencies coming from the towers... This is not the case...

When I used my Pioneer VSX-80TXV in stereo, I got the results anyone would expect from a receiver in stereo mode...

Anyone who is familiar with these receivers please help. I would like to hear the receivers power before I resort to having to have a subwoofer hooked up.
post #2 of 14
Which speakers? What are they?

You should completely turn off all room correction software and check them that way.

Main speaker settings need to be set for full-range or whatever, for all bass to go to the front speakers.

With the power available from that unit, you sure should have plenty of bass if the speakers can deliver it.

I think that unit wins the prize for most jacks on the rear panel...lol.

Unless you have something rated to go down to 25 Hz for your front speakers, such as the KEF Q900 speakers, you will undoubtedly want a good subwoofer anyway, such as the Rhythmic F12SE.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy112 View Post

Hello to all!

I recently got a Denon AVR-5805 and Ive been in the process of setting it up. However, I am having difficulty getting good bass response from the main speakers. basically when im listening to stereo, it should have GOOD amounts of low frequencies coming from the towers... This is not the case...

When I used my Pioneer VSX-80TXV in stereo, I got the results anyone would expect from a receiver in stereo mode...

Anyone who is familiar with these receivers please help. I would like to hear the receivers power before I resort to having to have a subwoofer hooked up.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Which speakers? What are they?

You should completely turn off all room correction software and check them that way.

Main speaker settings need to be set for full-range or whatever, for all bass to go to the front speakers.

With the power available from that unit, you sure should have plenty of bass if the speakers can deliver it.

I think that unit wins the prize for most jacks on the rear panel...lol.

It certainly does!! lol

I have the speakers set to Large as per the manual states to allow all lower frequencies to pass through, the subwoofer setting is set to LFE+Main (again as per manual to allow low frequencies to pass to the mains)

Room EQ/auto EQ is off, all I am using is Tone Control....

Ill be the first to admit that the 30 year old pair of homebrew speakers that this receiver is on right now (I have it in the kitchen since Im testing it before I install it) are not the elite of speakers, however I know what kind of bass reproduction they have, and I am not hearing it...

It COULD be the speakers, but I have to beleive that this thing has the power to make these puppes pound
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
I should add, that with my old pioneer VSX-80TXV my normal listening volume for the amount of low frequencies im expecting was set at -50db, this receiver I have set to that and as said, I cannot feel bass, i can hear it, but cannot feel it.

I can turn up one of my 60wpc vintage sansuis and it has more bass than the AVR at a lower decibel level
post #5 of 14
Check to see if the AVR is set with the speakers to 'Large' and NOT 'small'.
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Check to see if the AVR is set with the speakers to 'Large' and NOT 'small'.

I have the speakers set to LARGE as per the manual says to allow all lower frequencies to pass to the main speakers.

I have to have it at -26db to feel good amounts of bass, but then the highs and mids are too loud (or correct volume, and the lows are too quiet, which would make sense for my issue)
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy112 View Post

I would like to hear the receivers power before I resort to having to have a subwoofer hooked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy112 View Post

It certainly does!! lol

I have the speakers set to Large as per the manual states to allow all lower frequencies to pass through, the subwoofer setting is set to LFE+Main (again as per manual to allow low frequencies to pass to the mains)


If you have no external sub connected, the front speakers will default to LARGE. Also the sub setting LFE+MAIN would not apply as again, there is no sub connected, not to mention that setting sends the front main low bass to the sub (which is why it's a sub setting). Without a sub connected, there should be no reason that the low bass isn't passing to the front mains. You may want to reset the microprocessor per the instructions in the manual.
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If you have no external sub connected, the front speakers will default to LARGE. Also the sub setting LFE+MAIN would not apply as again, there is no sub connected, not to mention that setting sends the front main low bass to the sub (which is why it's a sub setting). Without a sub connected, there should be no reason that the low bass isn't passing to the front mains. You may want to reset the microprocessor per the instructions in the manual.


jdsmoothie, thanks for your input. I have already reset the microprocessor twice on this receiver, no luck with that either. I am suspecting there is an issue with the unit, which would explain why it gets unbeleivably hot.

I am thinking that there is an issue in the power regulator circuit, unsure, but possibly
post #9 of 14
^^
If not done recently, I would retest the speakers with another AVR to confirm no speaker woofer issues, otherwise hopefully you can return the unit to the seller.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Jd,

I bought the unit as-is off ebay in this condition (actually rather worse than this condition) so I knew I wasnt getting a full on working unit.

I fixed the aesthetic issues it had, as well as the display PCB since it was cracked, a few other cracked PCBs and eventually I got it to work as it should except for the issue we've been discussing.

I actually have a 2nd AVR 5805 here, but the problem with that one is, I cannot switch inputs (function knob will not change them) and there is no audio output on it as well.

I shold note that the 2nd 5805 is not iin protection mode either, it appears to work except the function knob and audio output.

I really picked myself some beasts to have for HT audio :-S
post #11 of 14
Yeh ... beasts is putting it mildly ... and two of them to boot!

You should be able to also switch inputs using the remote or the buttons under the front panel flap.
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yeh ... beasts is putting it mildly ... and two of them to boot!

You should be able to also switch inputs using the remote or the buttons under the front panel flap.

JD, I dont suppose you know what board is responsible for input switching/processing of the audio inputs and output? Its not the main digital board, that board is fully working in the other unit in this one unit though it will do everything except switch inputs with the function knob, and output audio.

The amplifiers are both fine as well. It would be nice to get this issue fixed on this unit, then it should be working.

Lets put it this way.... It would be nice to have either of them working :P
post #13 of 14
I would just send it in to Denon and have them fix it and be done with it. But that's just me, poor, broke, me.
post #14 of 14
Did you try playing test tones through them to try to narrow down the issue? Have you ensured there's no out of phase issue resulting in loss of bass?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Denon AVR-5805 - Main speakers have no bass...