or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 2012 NCAA Tournament on CBS & TBS in HD Sweet 16 3/22 & 3/23
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 NCAA Tournament on CBS & TBS in HD Sweet 16 3/22 & 3/23

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
NCAA Men's Basketball Division I Championship Tournament
Live on CBS HD & TBS HD
1080i and DD 5.1


Thursday 3/22
7:00 PM Syracuse vs. Wisconsin CBS HD
7:15 PM Michigan State vs. Louisville TBS HD
9:30 PM PM Ohio State vs. Cincinnati CBS HD
9:45 PM Marquette vs. Florida TBS HD

Friday 3/23
7:00 PM Baylor vs. Xavier CBS HD
7:15 PM North Carolina vs. Ohio TBS HD
9:30 PM PM Kentucky vs. Indiana CBS HD
9:45 PM NC State vs. Kansas TBS HD

All times eastern.

Please post what game your watching, along with your location, and source (cable, sat, OTA).
post #2 of 35
Pregame on TBS, Comcast Detroit. Looks very good.

Go Green! Go White!
post #3 of 35
By the way, here's a tip of the AVS hat to homcom for all his work creating these topics.

Thanks!
post #4 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

By the way, here's a tip of the AVS hat to homcom for all his work creating these topics.

Thanks!

Thanks.
GO GREEN!
post #5 of 35
Watching Wisconsin/Syracuse on KPHO Phoenix, noticing the jaggies on the court...speaking of which, why does Boston get special treatment with a parquet floor instead of the generic "NCAA Court" that other arena's use for the tournament.
post #6 of 35
Thread Starter 
Looks like there was a transmission blip right at the end of the Syracuse/Wisconsin game. The screen went blue for a few frames.
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

Watching Wisconsin/Syracuse on KPHO Phoenix, noticing the jaggies on the court...speaking of which, why does Boston get special treatment with a parquet floor instead of the generic "NCAA Court" that other arena's use for the tournament.

Because Celtics players and/or management promised grave bodily harm to NCAA officials if they messed with their floor?
post #8 of 35
OMG!!!!!

The NCAA should be banned from ever holding tournament games at the Georgia Dome, games always look bad there.
Jaggies everywhere, grainy as hell.....and Baylor's glowstick yellow uni's don't help.

Watching on KPHO Phoenix via Cox Cable.
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

OMG!!!!!

The NCAA should be banned from ever holding tournament games at the Georgia Dome, games always look bad there.
Jaggies everywhere, grainy as hell.....and Baylor's glowstick yellow uni's don't help.

Watching on KPHO Phoenix via Cox Cable.

I agree 100%!
FIOS HDTV - KYW(Philly)

It is just awful looking.
post #10 of 35
Watching/listening using DirecTV Reno, NV 3-23 early games and the audio levels are so off it's potentially damaging to equipment. Nobody else is hearing this? Switching from TBS to CBS I could see the possibility of damaging speakers or at a minimum sending the dog thru a wall. Ridiculous.
post #11 of 35
Same here - TBS audio via Direct is way low.
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post

Watching/listening using DirecTV Reno, NV 3-23 early games and the audio levels are so off it's potentially damaging to equipment. Nobody else is hearing this? Switching from TBS to CBS I could see the possibility of damaging speakers or at a minimum sending the dog thru a wall. Ridiculous.

Is that KTVN? I noticed some of the games this year are really loud, and the commercials actually seem quiet in comparison.

I thought it was just my station.
post #13 of 35
Looks like people complaining about image quality are all CBS games. My local affiliate is so bad it's stupid, and basketball just makes it worse with the floor texture. I'd pay premium channel prices for an unadulterated 3-network package.
post #14 of 35
Wow. Absolutely horrible PQ from Atlanta. Terrible.
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Wow. Absolutely horrible PQ from Atlanta. Terrible.

Yep
post #16 of 35
Here we go again. How come marketing professionals feel this deep compulsion to have feedback in commercials 99.9% of the time when a microphone is in the commercial? Is this a freaking rule? Is this a marketing truism? The latest was the Buick commercial just shown with Peter Frampton. Any marketing ex's here? I don't think people LIKE to hear feedback any more than nails on a blackboard.

Hints to avoid feedback:

The single easiest way to reduce feedback is to move the microphone closer to the desired sound source. Additionally, using a directional microphone (cardioid, supercardioid, etc.) will typically increase the amount of gain before feedback. Reducing the number of open microphones with an automatic mixer will also improve the situation. Try to keep microphones and loudspeakers as far away from each other as possible. Lastly, acoustically treat the room to eliminate hard, reflective surfaces such as glass, marble, and wood.

When all of the above solutions have been exhausted, the next step is to look towards equalizers and automatic feedback reducers.
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Here we go again. How come marketing professionals feel this deep compulsion to have feedback in commercials 99.9% of the time when a microphone is in the commercial? Is this a freaking rule? Is this a marketing truism? The latest was the Buick commercial just shown with Peter Frampton. Any marketing ex's here? I don't think people LIKE to hear feedback any more than nails on a blackboard.

?

It was an artistic decision. They wanted the feedback.
post #18 of 35
For NC ST vs KS it appears the Saint Louis arena has a cable cam being used.
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

For NC ST vs KS it appears the Saint Louis arena has a cable cam being used.

Its at the Edward Jones Dome....where the Rams play....hence the "X" shadows around the players from the dome lighting.
post #20 of 35
There is a cable cam in use at the Georgia Dome to.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

Watching Wisconsin/Syracuse on KPHO Phoenix, noticing the jaggies on the court...speaking of which, why does Boston get special treatment with a parquet floor instead of the generic "NCAA Court" that other arena's use for the tournament.

The parquet floor is tribute to the Celtics.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T249C9l1GSo
post #22 of 35
The mute button was designed with Gus Johnson and Lesley Visser in mind.................
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

For NC ST vs KS it appears the Saint Louis arena has a cable cam being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

There is a cable cam in use at the Georgia Dome to.

I thought all of the games this year were using cable cams.
post #24 of 35
I don't mind the NCAA Tournament using their own courts when it's not the host school's own arena (like an NHL/NBA Venue), however personally in my opinion, if it's an on campus arena that's hosting the round of games they should be able to use their normal court with the school's logo and everything (sans advertising on the floor).
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

I don't mind the NCAA Tournament using their own courts when it's not the host school's own arena (like an NHL/NBA Venue), however personally in my opinion, if it's an on campus arena that's hosting the round of games they should be able to use their normal court with the school's logo and everything (sans advertising on the floor).

On second thought...


image host
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kib View Post

On second thought...


image host

Fortunately the NCAA Tournament uses the Rose Garden in nearby Portland.
post #27 of 35
CBS...another fail with HD quality.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

CBS...another fail with HD quality.

Odd, I find the Kansas/North Carolina game's picture quality to be fantastic. I wonder if our local affiliate turned down the bitrate on the "Me TV" subchannel and gave those extra bits to the main channel.

Watching on CBS 8-KFMB
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

Odd, I find the Kansas/North Carolina game's picture quality to be fantastic. I wonder if our local affiliate turned down the bitrate on the "Me TV" subchannel and gave those extra bits to the main channel.

Watching on CBS 8-KFMB

I found most of this last four days coverage very good and better than most other live sports events.
post #30 of 35
well i will say one good thing about the ncaa playoff courts they use.

you can use the black out of bounds area to test the black levels on your set.
best part of the tournament is watching those inky blacks on my kuro.

lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 2012 NCAA Tournament on CBS & TBS in HD Sweet 16 3/22 & 3/23