or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXES6500 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNXXES6500 Owner's Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by servo26 View Post

I was wondering do any of you guys worry about burn in with these Led tv's? just worry about very long movies that are letterboxed.
Thanks

never got a answer but still curious.
post #122 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by servo26 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo26 View Post

I was wondering do any of you guys worry about burn in with these Led tv's? just worry about very long movies that are letterboxed.
Thanks

never got a answer but still curious.

No worries about burn in. Also the tv shuts off automatically after x amt of minutes.

Sent from my GT-N7000
post #123 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by servo26 View Post

never got a answer but still curious.

For all practical purposes LED televisions don't get burn in. You can watch letterbox movies indefinitely without worry.
post #124 of 580
Okay, thanks
post #125 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkie View Post

Hi, I have a question, its not an issue but a weird thing, my TV menu does not have this icons/animations:

My TV only has the text. Does your TV has them?

Anyone?
post #126 of 580
Mine doesnt have icons either.
post #127 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdalude View Post

1 more question:
When I watch movies on the HD movie channels (Red Riding Hood, Cowboys & Aliens) why are the outlines of people showing as a nasty green halo that quickly flashes during dark sceens. Anyone ever seen this?

FYI I had a tech over to the house today and he deemed my set to have a bad panel. It's going back to the store later this week. I'm not sure if I'll try a new 6500 or maybe try a different manufacturer.
post #128 of 580
I got my 50-inch 6500 delivered a week ago from Amazon. I'm coming from a Samsung LN46A630, which died. So far I'm not impressed. (1) It has noticeable clouding and some flashlighting. (2) There is a lot of noise... especially during commercials that contain colored fonts. This is probably the biggest issue for me. The borders of letters flicker like crazy. The noise reduction setting seems to have no impact on this. (3) The off-angle color is bad. I know it's never great with LCDs. But I at least didn't want it to be any worse than it was on my 2009 Samsung LCD. (4) In general the noise level and screen door effect are not great.

So, I think it's probably going back. Will probably try a Panasonic ST50 plasma instead, which I'm hoping doesn't suffer from a loud buzzing and doesn't reflect like a mirror.

Just curious what other people's experiences are?
post #129 of 580
SAMSUNG PREMIUM QUALITY

post #130 of 580
Returned my es6500. Couldn't take the horrible clouding. Got a Sony hx750 and am much happier with it, better uniformity and pq.

Sent from my GT-N7000
post #131 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Joker View Post

Returned my es6500. Couldn't take the horrible clouding. Got a Sony hx750 and am much happier with it, better uniformity and pq.
Sent from my GT-N7000

I'm sure that Sony is great. But that's a more expensive set, and it doesn't come in 50-inch.

I really can't believe how bad all the LED offerings are this year. I know it's nifty to have a set that's as thin as a laptop screen. But not at the expense of picture quality. This 6500 definitely does not have as good a picture as my LN46A630 did (until it died, another reason I'd be happy to get something other than a Samsung).
post #132 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave999z View Post

I'm sure that Sony is great. But that's a more expensive set, and it doesn't come in 50-inch.
I really can't believe how bad all the LED offerings are this year. I know it's nifty to have a set that's as thin as a laptop screen. But not at the expense of picture quality. This 6500 definitely does not have as good a picture as my LN46A630 did (until it died, another reason I'd be happy to get something other than a Samsung).

Exactly right Dave. My old 46B650 had much better PQ than the new 60ES6500 that we picked up. 3 years of advancements for a worse picture. We will be returning the 6500 and going to a different brand, might have to go plasma.
post #133 of 580
I know how you guys feel. I had a Samsung b750 a few years ago with better black levels than this new Sony. The kuro 500m I had was unmatched, even the new elites don't look as good to me.

Sent from my GT-N7000
post #134 of 580
Just an FYI. I just bought the UN32ES6500F. Had it a few days and pretty happy so far. Need to get a setup disk and do a little tuning.

One spec I could not find anywhere was whether the TV supported 5GHz on the Wifi. I needed a new router and was debating getting dual band or just the 2.4GHz.

Well, the TV does support 5GHz band, definite.

Hope this post helps someone else if they are searching for the spec.

JR
post #135 of 580
I'm a little unhappy with the hybrid component/composite input. If all three component plugs are filled, you can't use a composite source even if the other two plugs don't go into anything. If there's a cable in the red or blue jack, the TV puts the analog input in component mode. I was hoping to run component cables into a switchbox so I could switch between Wii (component) and older consoles (composite, only using the green cable), but that's apparently not possible. I've got it wall mounted so it's a minor annoyance to plug/unplug the cables to change input types.
post #136 of 580
***Update Nov. 11, 2012... I have now redone this calibration. You can find the new settings HERE.***

Still not sure I'm keeping this set. But I calibrated it today using an Xrite i1DisplayPro colorimeter. I'll post the HCFR data file at some point, but the numbers look pretty good. Here are my settings...

Picture
picture mode = movie
backlight = 12
contrast = 93
brightness = 45
sharpness = 0
color = 50
tint = G50/R50
screen adjust = screen fit
3D = off
Advanced
Dynamic contrast = off
black tone = off
flesh tone = 0
RGB only mode = off
Color space = set it to "custom" but leave all the values alone (i.e., Red = R50, G0, B0; etc.). i haven't done that part of the calibration yet, will try to get to it.
white balance
R-offset = 26
G-offset = 25
B-offset = 26
R-gain = 27
G-gain = 32
B-gain = 0
10 point white balance = on, leave all values at 0 except:
interval 1 set green to +1
interval 5 set blue to -1
interval 10 set red to +1 and green to -1
gamma = 0
xvYCC = off
motion lighting = off
Picture Options
color tone = warm 1
digital noise filter = off
mpeg noise filter = off
HDMI black level = normal and should be grayed out. if you do have the option to change, you'll have to try it both ways and see which way doesn't have the black areas completely black (as in no detail). this is a really weird, confusing control.
film mode = off
auto motion plus = custom
blur reduction = 2 (or whatever you prefer)
judder reduction = 2 (or whatever you prefer)
LED motion plus = off (or whatever you prefer)
System
Eco solution
energy saving = off
eco sensor = off

hope these help. there's a lot of variation in panels (sometimes even coming from different OEM panel manufacturers on the same tv model), so there's no guarantee these will produce good results on your particular set.
Edited by dave999z - 11/11/12 at 11:36am
post #137 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave999z View Post

Hey Dave999z,
I used your settings on my 40" model and the picture is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing your calibration information. Please update when have the color space section completed. Cheers!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2
post #138 of 580
Guys, i got one of these and the PQ is very good but there are 2 flashlights in the left 2 corners of the screen which are very noticeable on a black screen, what do you think i should do? exchange the set?
post #139 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

Guys, i got one of these and the PQ is very good but there are 2 flashlights in the left 2 corners of the screen which are very noticeable on a black screen, what do you think i should do? exchange the set?

You could but then you run the risk of getting a worse display... It is the roulette as they tend to call it around the forums...

I am coming up on the tail end of my buyers remorse exchange or return period with BBY and I think I am just going to keep mine until I get reallybfed up with it and then I may call Samsung up... I have bleeding on atleast two corners but the worse of it is in the lower center of the panel.. A lot of unfortunate clouding there... I was drving myself and the mrs bonkers and even bought an Lg Lm6700 46" to compare but ended up sticking with the un40es6500...

I do wish this topic was a bit more hectic like some of the other threads because I like to think this set has some real potential but we shall see...

I heard a lot of people happy with the lower end, stockier eh6000 in contrast to the es6500...

Anyone standing by this tv as well?
post #140 of 580
I had the 50" model and it was pretty good. however I decided to return it and get the 55. Glad I did as the replacement has virtually no flashlighting or clouding even though the 50 incher's level of these anomalies was tolerable once I calibrated it. Overall I believe I will stick with this one. its amazing how the 50" panel seemed to "shrink" in size once I had it for a couple weeks. The 55 is just perfect.
post #141 of 580
Im in the same boat , battlekry.

i think the PQ of this Tv is stunning, i spoke to SAMSUNG costumer support and they told me that setting the picture setting to standard or movie and adjusing the backlight to 7 for a week will fix the corner clouding or atleast improve, im defintley going to do it,

like i said i have a flashlight/clouding in 2 corners on the left side, upper and lower. the lower one is more evident.

What do u have your picture settings set to battlekry? and also do you have ECOsensor on or off? Samsung told me to turn it off.

Also another thing i want to note is that the set does NOT have VERTICAL BANDING issue which is FAR worse, i returned two Samsung C650s just because of that issue.
post #142 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

Im in the same boat , battlekry.
i think the PQ of this Tv is stunning, i spoke to SAMSUNG costumer support and they told me that setting the picture setting to standard or movie and adjusing the backlight to 7 for a week will fix the corner clouding or atleast improve, im defintley going to do it,
like i said i have a flashlight/clouding in 2 corners on the left side, upper and lower. the lower one is more evident.
What do u have your picture settings set to battlekry? and also do you have ECOsensor on or off? Samsung told me to turn it off.
Also another thing i want to note is that the set does NOT have VERTICAL BANDING issue which is FAR worse, i returned two Samsung C650s just because of that issue.

That tip you received from Samsung about setting the backlight to 7 for a week sounds great! I currently have eco sensor off and rocking a modified Movie setting..
I am glad you are enjoying the PQ..
I hope my set is not suffering from vertical banding... At an angle the same location I mentioned the clouding from the center to the lower bezel more or less on a white display will become slightly yellow...? Direct on the clouding is noticeble on Movie mode with the backlight set to anything over 16 on a pitch black screen but not that yellowish color...
Edited by battlekry - 9/11/12 at 6:47pm
post #143 of 580
Or you know, you can just ask someone about the whole 7 weeks tip. Not sure how having it on 7 weeks to fix some of the problems especially a common problem on all LED Edge lit set. Without local dimming, this is just a technology flaw. Ask them if you can return the set after 7 weeks if the problem does not go away.

I have a ES6100 and it does the same thing as the ES6500 , had to return it.
post #144 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur25 View Post

Or you know, you can just ask someone about the whole 7 weeks tip. Not sure how having it on 7 weeks to fix some of the problems especially a common problem on all LED Edge lit set. Without local dimming, this is just a technology flaw. Ask them if you can return the set after 7 weeks if the problem does not go away.
I have a ES6100 and it does the same thing as the ES6500 , had to return it.

Who said 7 weeks? they said to have it set to backlight 7 and NOT on DYNAMIC MODE, standard or movie is fine, they told me that for a week it should sort it out.
post #145 of 580
Ops, my mistake. My fault for multi-viewing several topics. I'm having a hard time choosing ES6500/ES6100 and the EH5300 I have right now. None of them really give me a huge improvement over my A550. The ES6500 / ES6100 have amazing pq for bright scenes but the blacks are horrible. The EH5300 has amazing black but feels vastly cheap.

You guys ever tried hook up the 6500 for a monitor? Anyone test out 4:4:4?
post #146 of 580
blacks are horrible? dude this thing has blacks that are REALLY deep, even in darkness the blacks are black, i wish that clouding in the corner wouldn't be there, this would be a perfect set other wise.

it breaks my heart to have such a stunning PQ and have this flashlight in the lower left corner showing up in dark scenes, its really bothering me
post #147 of 580
Well yeah, I didn't think the black were that amazing at all. The clouding and flash light effect were even worse on the ES6100, if all of my movies were rainbows and sunshine I would of loved the set. The viewing angles were completely off too, once I got up or moved around it seem as though the set would just magically turn into some pre 2000 LCD screen.

Not sure if you guys seen the lower end models but those "Direct LED" instead of Edge Lit, have really good blacks. The downsize is the size of the set which is as thick or even thicker than my A550. I also love the way they give you a small napkin for a cleaning cloth. My 5 series came with a huge thick cleaning cloth and a stand that actually let the TV swing from left and right. I mean, I like the 4 leg design but it kinds of takes away from the slim design.
post #148 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

blacks are horrible? dude this thing has blacks that are REALLY deep, even in darkness the blacks are black, i wish that clouding in the corner wouldn't be there, this would be a perfect set other wise.

it breaks my heart to have such a stunning PQ and have this flashlight in the lower left corner showing up in dark scenes, its really bothering me

I have to agree with lamonsasa as I do not percieve the blacks to be bad at all.. However I have 9 clouding blotchy areas all throughout the panel on a pitch black picture.. I am wondering to myself if I could consider that acceptable.. I would not under other circumstances but I do not want to deal with the hassle of exchanging and playing roulette any longer...

Does anyone have anything to share in regards to having Samsung come out and inspect their sets sometime into into warranty? I have 9 days left on my remorse period with BBY and have almost convinced myself to deal with Samsung sometime in the future about this.. Does anyone here feel that this is a wise course of action? From what I have read it is a real hit or miss and may even be a nightmare if they have to replace the panel because it could be even worse...

@Lamonsasa I have my set on movie mode with backlight set to 7 and it looks well in the corners that were affected for me but I am still not convinced what Samsungs logic is behind having it at this setting for a week and how it will affect it after that time... I want to be hopeful but feel like it is just trickery of some sort..lol.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
post #149 of 580
Well regardless, I doubt the whole wait a week will do anything. I have heard of Headphone burn-in but LED/TV not sure where the logic for that is.
post #150 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlekry View Post

I have to agree with lamonsasa as I do not percieve the blacks to be bad at all.. However I have 9 clouding blotchy areas all throughout the panel on a pitch black picture.. I am wondering to myself if I could consider that acceptable.. I would not under other circumstances but I do not want to deal with the hassle of exchanging and playing roulette any longer...
Does anyone have anything to share in regards to having Samsung come out and inspect their sets sometime into into warranty? I have 9 days left on my remorse period with BBY and have almost convinced myself to deal with Samsung sometime in the future about this.. Does anyone here feel that this is a wise course of action? From what I have read it is a real hit or miss and may even be a nightmare if they have to replace the panel because it could be even worse...
@Lamonsasa I have my set on movie mode with backlight set to 7 and it looks well in the corners that were affected for me but I am still not convinced what Samsungs logic is behind having it at this setting for a week and how it will affect it after that time... I want to be hopeful but feel like it is just trickery of some sort..lol.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

i dont know man, im trying to ignore that flashlight in the lower left side but its bothering me, i watched the voice yesteyrday and whenever there was a dark scene in that corner i could see the flashlight, the other flashlight on the top corner is nearly invisible.

i think im going to exchange this set but the only problem is that the store i got it from has none in stock right now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXES6500 Owner's Thread