or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXES6500 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNXXES6500 Owner's Thread - Page 18

post #511 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTracy3 View Post

Picture issues with the 40 inch set: I have used the settings posted here originally and some of the subsequent tweaks (all on the "movie" picture mode for all inputs including the smart hub streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon--you have to redo it for each one, what a pain). Anyway I still find that on the user tweaked movie setting and the factory default other picture options, movies lose their film-like appearance and look like videotape--it's worst on black and white presentations, I feel like I'm watching a soap opera or an old live broadcast. Has anyone else noticed this and what setting options might fix it, if any? I think what's missing is the "grain".

Go into Picture Options and turn OFF Auto Motion Plus and LED Motion Plus.
post #512 of 580
Can't delete posts--but I resolved my issue so deleted original content.

Anyway, my TV has 4 HDMI ports, yet it doesn't recognize anything when it's plugged into the HDMI2-HDMI4 ports....only on the HDMI1 port. Why is this happening and how can I change it? I have a PC on the HDMI1 port, and I wanted to put my PS3 on the HDMI2 port.

Thanks!
Edited by BadHabit91 - 3/10/13 at 9:32pm
post #513 of 580
Thanks for the Tips. I adjusted HDMI to "Standard" on Xbox and "Limited" on PS3, and was able to see the brightness adjustment "image" on both systems now. I would say the colours seem less vibrant now and a bit washed out.

Does anyone care to share their settings for the PC/GAME mode.
I've set mine at:
Standard
100 contrast,
50 brightness,
sharpness 15
20 cell light,
gamma=0,
color temp=Standard

But I'm not as satisfied with the picture/colours on PS3/Xbox360 now that i've changed the HDMI. any other suggestions? At least i can get the greyscales now though. I previously was never able to see the brightness adjustment image. ie. The "symbol" on the left should be barely visible, was never visible before, now it is. I used, god of war and gears of war respectively to test the brightness.

ps. for those who are wondering. To get the low latency game movie. Go on your TV to "Source" choose the HDMI input you have your game consoles on or receiver, then press "Tools" and change the name to "PC".
It seems that PC/Game mode kicks in when a 1080p signal is received from PS3 or Xbox which is good because a typical bluray or video signal of 24p 1080p24 switches me automatically back to movie mode even on the PC input, so for the most part, videos play normally with full "Movie" settings, and Gaming plays with the lower latency "Standard" limited settings..
post #514 of 580
Anyone have a picture of the power cord? I am buying one of these next week and would like to know if I'm going to need a recessed outlet or not (I have a slim wall mount). Thanks in advance.
post #515 of 580
you guys i traded my 60ES6500 in and upgraded to the ES8000. i just couldn't stand the damn green ghosting trail in dark scenes. Pauls were able to do online price match and i got the 60ES8000 for $2200 plus tax and change.
post #516 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINDW4LL View Post

Anyone have a picture of the power cord? I am buying one of these next week and would like to know if I'm going to need a recessed outlet or not (I have a slim wall mount). Thanks in advance.
I have a slimline mount and have no problem with the power cord mated to a standard receptacle. The plug on the cord is angled 90', and I don't think will present an interference problem even with a very tight mount.
See
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1401438/official-samsung-unxxes6500-owners-thread#post_21913512
and
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1401438/official-samsung-unxxes6500-owners-thread#post_22055366

Wrooster
post #517 of 580
Thanks Wrooster. Very nice job on the room by the way!
post #518 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickz2 View Post

Another new firmware available online directly through the internet connection to the TV version 001029. As usual Samsung has no info on their web site. They still have nothing on the web site re: the last update 001027.

Just bought the set, is it common to have the online update stop in the middle of the download and say that the update is not avail on the server?

I had to go the USB route which is only up to 1026.
post #519 of 580
I just bought this set yesterday and had the same thing happen. It then informed me it would download when I went into standby, it didn't. I tried to install Amazon and it needed to be updated, so it finally updated the software this morning. Now if I could figure out how to enable Prime Instant Streaming, I registered the TV but it isn't linked to Prime, even though it shows online, it only offers to purchase shows.
post #520 of 580
Just bought this TV.
My firmware updated to 1029.

I'm watching in standard mode, I like it the best.
Using DirecTV.

On very dark scenes the corners seems to be lighter in color, almost washed out or whiter-brighter.

Should I return this unit or is this unfortunately "normal" for this model?
Can Samsung fix the issue?

Does this really work?

Quote:
guys, i found this tutorial on how to fix flashlights in a samsung LCD, its basically by lossening the screws on the back, but the back cover needs to be removed first, heres the tutorial:

http://translate.google.it/translate?hl=it&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forodvd.com%2Ftema%2F108005-tutorial-eliminar-clouding-la-serie-es8000-de-samsung%2F


EDIT:

returned TV due to "green ghosting" during an episode of Grimm.
I watch mostly dark scened TV shows and movies.
The green shadow was real bad to see.
Edited by alvindd - 3/24/13 at 6:45pm
post #521 of 580
I got Amazon Prime Instant streaming to work, but over wifi buffers too much. Guess I'll order a cable from Monoprice and fish it through a return chase to my router.
post #522 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydg68 View Post

It seems that PC/Game mode kicks in when a 1080p signal is received from PS3 or Xbox which is good because a typical bluray or video signal of 24p 1080p24 switches me automatically back to movie mode even on the PC input, so for the most part, videos play normally with full "Movie" settings, and Gaming plays with the lower latency "Standard" limited settings..
The PC mode kicks in when the signal is in RGB (games) and switch back to the other setting (Movie in your case) when receiving a YCbCr signal (movies).
post #523 of 580
Hello AVS! Just joined the forums to share a little something smile.gif
I got my UN55ES6500 a few days ago and been obsessed with calibrations and never seem to quite get it right (or maybe I'm OCD).
I ended up creating the AVS Calibration Disk (amazing) and finished the calibration last night.

This is what I ended up with, I'd love to get some professional feedback :P

Picture Mode Movie
Backlight 18
Contrast 90
Brightness 54
Sharpness 10
Color 50 (I decided on 60 for a little bit of extra kick)
Tint G48/R52

ADVANCE SETTINGS
Dynamic Contrast Low (or off of course)
Black Tone Darkest
Flesh Tone 0
RGB Only Mode Off
Color Space Native
10pt White Balance On
Gamma -1
Expert Pattern Off
xvYCC Off

PICTURE OPTIONS
Color Tone Standard
Digital Noise Filter Off
MPEG Noise Filter Off
HDMI Black Level Standard
Film Mode Off
Auto Motion Plus Clear (or off of course)
LED Motion Plus Off

10PT WHITE BALANCE
ON
Interval Red Green Blue
1 0 -1 -1
2 -1 -1 -1
3 0 0 0
4 -1 0 +1
5 -1 -1 +1
6 -1 -1 -1
7 -1 -1 -1
8 0 0 0
9 +1 0 0
10 +2 0 0

WHITE BALANCE
Setting Value
R-Offset 25
G-Offset 25
B-Offset 25
R-Gain 18
G-Gain 23
B-Gain 25

I hope someone will find this useful or improve it even further!
post #524 of 580
So anyone recommend getting the 65" version of this set, or is it a total crap shoot?


Like the UN65ES8000 I returned 3 weeks ago for clouding, flash lighting and banding.
post #525 of 580
I have the 65 inch version. Have had it a full week now and I think I am going to keep it. Out of the box I was not too happy with the picture, but after tweaking for a week it's pretty good. Not perfect, but good enough to satisfy me for the 2200 I paid for the set. I tried some of the calibration settings in this thread but they didn't work that great for me until I tweaked them further. My feeling is that there is enough variation in these TVs that you will have to make some adjustments per your personal taste and the picture quality of the panel itself. I found that reducing the backlight setting pretty much eliminated the "flighlight" effect at the corners without affecting the picture quality for me. In fact the picture was way too bright using the default settings anyway. The biggest negative for me is the poor off-angle viewing - the picture quality deteriorates quickly as you move off center. Again, not ideal but something I can live with since 99.9% of the time I am watching for directly in front of the TV. I don't have issues with clouding, but do see some slight banding in certain situations. Oddly enough only in a few commercials so far, but it's far better than the 7 year old Samsung plasma it replaces. Again, I find it easily tolerable.

I have read a lot of bad experiences with the smart features of this TV, so I expected to just use the streaming features through my Samsung F5900 BluRay and Marantz receiver. However, I found that the streaming looks and works better from the TV. I use Netflix and the Amazon Cloud Player app frequently - so far, no issues at all. I have the TV connected to my wireless "n" network with no drops or lags so far. I do have a 100MB network switch in the console with the rest of my gear, so I may experiment with an Ethernet connection, but for now I am completely happy with the wireless performance. That's my $.02
post #526 of 580
beware of the green ghosting blur effect in dark scenes. especially on skin tones in any dark scenes when a person turns or face moves across the screen. as much as i understand, it only affects the 65/60 inch of 6500. this was the reason why i returned my 6550 and upgraded to the 60ES8000, which of course isn't perfect, but a nice enough upgrade without the annoying green halo ghosting blur.
post #527 of 580
Just a quick update on the flashlighting and banding issue. I have purchased a Sony 55HX750 for $1399 ($Can) at Canada's BB and evaluated for the same issues. The comparison below is a little apples vs oranges since I can't totally match all the picture setting between the Samsung and Sony sets. However it should be close enough to show the difference. The ISO, aperture and exposure are close as a whole :


Original Samsung banding and clouding/spotlights/flashlights:

image4.JPG 223k .JPG file
image5.JPG 200k .JPG file

vs. Sony 55HX750:

image4b6.JPG 287k .JPG file
image5a sony.JPG 347k .JPG file

I like the image consistency, especially wrt banding on the sony and will keep the set. It is too bad because the smart apps on the Samsung a WAY better, with only a very limited number of widgets available on Sony. The Samrthub interface was also much better, giving a nice screen interface with sony using basicalu pull down menues, and I find it hard to remember what is where. Sony GUI is just not as intuitive. Still picture quality is the basic driver here. It is evident that the dge lit technology is a step back in PQ but it seems from my limited sampling experience that Sony got it less wrong then Samsung. JMO.
post #528 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebdlp View Post

Just a quick update on the flashlighting and banding issue. I have purchased a Sony 55HX750 for $1399 ($Can) at Canada's BB and evaluated for the same issues. The comparison below is a little apples vs oranges since I can't totally match all the picture setting between the Samsung and Sony sets. However it should be close enough to show the difference. The ISO, aperture and exposure are close as a whole :


Original Samsung banding and clouding/spotlights/flashlights:

image4.JPG 223k .JPG file
image5.JPG 200k .JPG file

vs. Sony 55HX750:

image4b6.JPG 287k .JPG file
image5a sony.JPG 347k .JPG file

I like the image consistency, especially wrt banding on the sony and will keep the set. It is too bad because the smart apps on the Samsung a WAY better, with only a very limited number of widgets available on Sony. The Samrthub interface was also much better, giving a nice screen interface with sony using basicalu pull down menues, and I find it hard to remember what is where. Sony GUI is just not as intuitive. Still picture quality is the basic driver here. It is evident that the dge lit technology is a step back in PQ but it seems from my limited sampling experience that Sony got it less wrong then Samsung. JMO.

was your samsung 55" as well? if so the banding is the worst i've seen. the 60 inch 6500 i returned looks more like the SONY pictures you took. i think you just got a very bad unit. only reason i, or anyone would stay away fromthe SONY is due to SONY has the blue tinge to their black, and no matter what it's impossible to get rid of. it all depends on how much it bothers you, some people want their black inky black, and not blue-ish. if you can't stand it it might bother you. but if you don't notice it, then don't worry. overall i would say your last samsung unit was the worst banding and flash light i've seen.
post #529 of 580
Yes all three units were at 55 inch. I know about the blue tinge on Sony's but gosh this is minor in comparison to what I was going through with the Samsungs... I could not watch the movies with light corners (all three units). To me this PQ is just not acceptable, on all thee units I tried. In the end I was wasting lots of time on exchanges and setups due to quality issues that should have never made it out of the factory. I wish I could give Samsung a bill for the wasted time trying to tweak the picture to get it right with no success smile.gif. I tried to get units with different build dates (Got Aug, Oct and Nov of 2012) to set these units apart. Did not matter much. I know there must be some good units out there and I was hoping that out of three one would be fine but did not get the lottery to pan out smile.gif.
post #530 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post

I got Amazon Prime Instant streaming to work, but over wifi buffers too much. Guess I'll order a cable from Monoprice and fish it through a return chase to my router.

Buffering problems with Amazon streaming seem very common. There are many reports on Amazon's Instant Video forum. In my case, I have buffering problems with Amazon streaming but not with Netflix Super HD or Vudu HDX (which handles 1080P.) Amazon has not owned up to this problem.
post #531 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensmiles0 View Post

Buffering problems with Amazon streaming seem very common. There are many reports on Amazon's Instant Video forum. In my case, I have buffering problems with Amazon streaming but not with Netflix Super HD or Vudu HDX (which handles 1080P.) Amazon has not owned up to this problem.
I got a 75 foot cable from Monoprice for $8.67, ran it down a return chase to the TV and don't have any buffering issues with Prime so far, nice and clear. Not as good as the OTA Antenna I plugged in the back or FIOS, but a nice bit of extra VOD.
post #532 of 580
does anyone know if this tv passes 5.1/dts through its optical output?
post #533 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftk1 View Post

does anyone know if this tv passes 5.1/dts through its optical output?

Not sure about dts, but when I stream Netflix from the TV's app I use the optical audio out to my Marantz receiver and the display reads "dolby digital 5.1" when the movie supports it...
post #534 of 580
Will these models be replaced this year?
I am looking to pick up 4 of them (either 32 or 40") and didn't know if i might find them on closeout pricing (or a bulk deal)
post #535 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftk1 View Post

does anyone know if this tv passes 5.1/dts through its optical output?

Yes it does. All Samsung set does. However, once you played a file in DD, it'll switch back to PCM. You gotta go into the menu and set it back to DTS. (same for playing file w/ DTS after DD)
post #536 of 580
Just got the ES6500. I hate the green shades on hair. Flashlight, I can live, but clouding is pretty bad.

I miss my plasma. I should have gone for 60" ST50 if not for its heavy power consumption.
post #537 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbanlo View Post

Just got the ES6500. I hate the green shades on hair. Flashlight, I can live, but clouding is pretty bad.

I miss my plasma. I should have gone for 60" ST50 if not for its heavy power consumption.

Is $30 per year more for energy cost, really that much of an issue .
post #538 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbanlo View Post

Just got the ES6500. I hate the green shades on hair. Flashlight, I can live, but clouding is pretty bad.

I miss my plasma. I should have gone for 60" ST50 if not for its heavy power consumption.

you should've read my review on the green halo / green trail of blur on the 60 inch ES6500 here and on Amazon. it's a widely known issue for the 60~65 inch model for ES6500. there's nothing you can do to fix that, i've since upgraded to ES8000. the European model of the ES6500 is having the same issue with the 60~65 inch model.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R25JZ6JPS5ARPT/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0077QWVX4&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful
post #539 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

you should've read my review on the green halo / green trail of blur on the 60 inch ES6500 here and on Amazon. it's a widely known issue for the 60~65 inch model for ES6500. there's nothing you can do to fix that, i've since upgraded to ES8000. the European model of the ES6500 is having the same issue with the 60~65 inch model.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R25JZ6JPS5ARPT/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0077QWVX4&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

Thanks, well I didn't know it could be this bad. I'll see if I can live with it, if I can't I will trade up for the ST50 for ~$100 more.
post #540 of 580
OK, after watching Life of Pi BD last night, I'm determined that I really need to return this piece of crap. The hair looks green whenever the actor moves on the screen for god sake!

Stay away from LED, back to Plasma!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXES6500 Owner's Thread