or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › HT80 mini-ITX HTPC case build (with pictures)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HT80 mini-ITX HTPC case build (with pictures) - Page 2

post #31 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb View Post

This is the MB I was thinking of using, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157238

However one of the cons given is that the power connector is on the side of the board making it tough to connect on a small case. Do you think this will be a problem with the HT-80. If so I think Foxcon has some MB with the power connector in the front and I would use that.

Thanks
DRB

The GA-H55N-USB3 I did the initial build with has the power connector in the same location as your ASRock. The 24-pin connector will reach. As long as you have low-profile memory (you have to route the power over them) it should be fine. Worse comes to worse you can buy a 24-pin extender and route it around the front of the board where there's more room. With the same GA-H55N-USB3 motherboard in a Lian-Li PC-Q09 I had to do just that.

This is good low-profile memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139046
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134810

(I prefer the 1 x 4GB since it allows for future upgrade and the real difference in performance (5%?) will never be noticeable in an HTPC plus it's $7 cheaper)
post #32 of 79
Thanks for sharing Stardog. I like posts with lots of pix. I may use this case with my next build, perhaps with Ivy Bridge and win8.
post #33 of 79
The last piece of hardware I need to buy is a slot load blu-ray drive. Am I looking for a certain type or are they all the same instalation wise? Will this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DELL-STU...item41643c89c6
Of course I am willing to take any other suggestions.

Again thanks
DRB
post #34 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb View Post

The last piece of hardware I need to buy is a slot load blu-ray drive. Am I looking for a certain type or are they all the same instalation wise? Will this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DELL-STU...item41643c89c6
Of course I am willing to take any other suggestions.

Again thanks
DRB

As long as it's the standard 12.7mm height, it'll fit. I would double-check that by doing some Googling and see if you can find the full specs. That ODD is not a Blu-ray burner though.
post #35 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

Thanks for sharing Stardog. I like posts with lots of pix. I may use this case with my next build, perhaps with Ivy Bridge and win8.

I am looking forward to a AMD Trinity build (A10-5700) and Win8. Lots of good stuff coming out soon!
post #36 of 79
Thread Starter 
I picked up one of these internal IR receivers and added it to my build:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230676938088

It works great. The big test was if I could change channels from the bed and I could. It looks nice w/o having the big USB dongle on top. The receiver seems super-sensitive, even better than the external dongle.

Next week I'll be getting some HT80s with the IR reciever/remote that goes with them. I am also getting the HT100. I'll post pix as soon as I can.
post #37 of 79
Does that recieiver attach to a USB header or the CIR header? The diagram call's the bracket a CIR bracket but the description seems to imply it gets hook up to the usb header.

Did the bracket fit where tthe hole for the sensor is?
DRB
post #38 of 79
Quote:


As long as it's the standard 12.7mm height, it'll fit.

What about placement for the eject button? Are there any drives that match where the hole in the case is?

Quote:


That ODD is not a Blu-ray burner though.

I am alright with just a reader, and if I can't find a blu-ray slot drive that has the eject button in the right place I may have to settle for a plain DVD drive.

DRB
post #39 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb View Post

Does that recieiver attach to a USB header or the CIR header? The diagram call's the bracket a CIR bracket but the description seems to imply it gets hook up to the usb header.

Did the bracket fit where tthe hole for the sensor is?
DRB

Since it wasn't the receiver that is made for the case and the receiver doesn't come with anything to mount it, I used some electrical tape to place it so the receiver was inside the window. It attached via USB. It'll be interesting to see how the IR receiver that is made for the HT80 is attached.
post #40 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb View Post

What about placement for the eject button? Are there any drives that match where the hole in the case is?



I am alright with just a reader, and if I can't find a blu-ray slot drive that has the eject button in the right place I may have to settle for a plain DVD drive.

DRB

For BD-ROM, the Sony BC-5600S has a left eject. These can be found on eBay.

For burners, I found this Dell (FT19C) which looks like it's a left-eject: http://www.notebookparts.com/product...n.php?II=55802 but I could not find out more specs about it.

Also available here on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Dell-4x-...-/260995509933
post #41 of 79
As you can see I know nothing on the slot load ODD's. Hopefuly this will be the last question and then I will be able to purchase one and start my build.

I am guessing that the ODD would get installed in the HT80 without a bezel. So what about the button that goes tru the hole in the case used as the eject button? Does the drive ship with one? Shouldn't one have been provided with the case? Or do I have to find one myself?

Thanks
DRB
post #42 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb View Post

As you can see I know nothing on the slot load ODD's. Hopefuly this will be the last question and then I will be able to purchase one and start my build.

I am guessing that the ODD would get installed in the HT80 without a bezel. So what about the button that goes tru the hole in the case used as the eject button? Does the drive ship with one? Shouldn't one have been provided with the case? Or do I have to find one myself?

Thanks
DRB

I am not 100% sure about this myself -- to faceplate or not to faceplate.

Since there's a hole on the front of the case, it's not like there's a button that needs to line up with a faceplate. Most of the time with slot loads to eject, you'd do a soft eject through the software (Mac-like). When that doesn't work you'd stick something in the hole to push the button and release the disk so it's really more for emergencies. I don't think you need a faceplate to activate that mechanism.

I did notice for some of those drives separate faceplates for sale for under $10. I would buy the ODD you want, faceplate or not, try it and if you need it then get a faceplate. My guess is that you won't need it since it's internal behind the "face" of the case.

Maybe someone with an Origenae or Wesena case with the same kind of ODD slot would know better?

FWIW, I started a new thread to open this question to a larger audience.
post #43 of 79
Good news, I went tru the hardware pak and sure enough I found a nice black button. It has a very short reach so I will proprably order a drive with a faceplate thinking the button will make better contact.

DRB
post #44 of 79
I like the case. Slot loading always looks cleaner.
post #45 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb View Post

Good news, I went tru the hardware pak and sure enough I found a nice black button. It has a very short reach so I will proprably order a drive with a faceplate thinking the button will make better contact.

DRB

Hmmm, I thought it was just a plug -- I couldn't get mine to stay in. Maybe you're supposed to stick it to the button of the ODD faceplate somehow? I've been meaning to ask the manufacturer what that's for .
post #46 of 79
Quote:


I couldn't get mine to stay in.

I have that problem too. I thinking once you install the ODD it will hold the button tight.

DRB
post #47 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb View Post

I have that problem too. I thinking once you install the ODD it will hold the button tight.

DRB

I emailed my contact and I'll post what they say as soon as I hear.
post #48 of 79
Well I got everyhing together except the ODD so I decieded to give it a limited test drive. No luck, it powers on the HSF spins and then turns right off. Wait a second and it will do the same thing. I was just checking how quiet it was and if the power led would work [it did]. I had no montier hooked up. What do you think the problem might be?

Thanks
DRB
post #49 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb View Post

Well I got everyhing together except the ODD so I decieded to give it a limited test drive. No luck, it powers on the HSF spins and then turns right off. Wait a second and it will do the same thing. I was just checking how quiet it was and if the power led would work [it did]. I had no montier hooked up. What do you think the problem might be?

Thanks
DRB

Sounds like a power problem. Or grounding... Maybe recheck your connections to the power supply?
post #50 of 79
I checked power connections. I had some problems with the Silverstone paste so I thouht maybe that could be it. I took the HSF off took a picture of it, will try to attach. Does it look OK? Should I put everthing back together? Do I have to clean and add more or can I reuse as is? If I clean what do I use? I am bummed about it not working.

The good is that all seem to fix in the case nice. Only minor problem was that the USB just reached were it had togo.
LL
post #51 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb View Post

I checked power connections. I had some problems with the Silverstone paste so I thouht maybe that could be it. I took the HSF off took a picture of it, will try to attach. Does it look OK? Should I put everthing back together? Do I have to clean and add more or can I reuse as is? If I clean what do I use? I am bummed about it not working.

The good is that all seem to fix in the case nice. Only minor problem was that the USB just reached were it had togo.

I doubt it's the paste. Do you have another power supply you can try?
post #52 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb View Post

I checked power connections. I had some problems with the Silverstone paste so I thouht maybe that could be it. I took the HSF off took a picture of it, will try to attach. Does it look OK? Should I put everthing back together? Do I have to clean and add more or can I reuse as is? If I clean what do I use? I am bummed about it not working.

The good is that all seem to fix in the case nice. Only minor problem was that the USB just reached were it had togo.

Hmmm... I tested this power supply before I sent it to you. There had been a bad power supply in the batch I got so I tested them all after that. Now this is the second one but again, it's strange because I tested it and it worked -- booted up a i3-540/SSD/750GB system.

Do you have a spare power supply you can test your system with -- to see if it'll start up or not? If you don't -- PM me and we'll figure out how to get you up and running.

I can't tell from your picture -- it might be after the fact -- but be sure you have the P4 cable plugged in for the CPU.
post #53 of 79
If you tested the power supply and you are sure that the 24 pin + 4 pin motherboard power connectors are both connected then maybe there's a problem with the motherboard?
post #54 of 79
I just finished a build with that same set-up...except using the Asrock z68 mini-itx motherboard and an i3-2105. I really like the case and everything fits nicely. I will not be using an ODD it this setup as I intend it for the bedroom. The Titan CPU cooler that Stardog recommended is a bit noiser than the stock cooler (at least mine is) so I tuned the PRMs down to around 2K and the noise level is acceptable there.

Temps run 40 to 42 C under normal load (TV or Movie playback) and everything is working without a hitch. CPU generally runs at half speed even on HD TV playpack using HDHomerun Prime over the network.

Did I say I really like the case?
post #55 of 79
[quote=StardogChampion;21874710]I am not 100% sure about this myself -- to faceplate or not to faceplate.


I did notice for some of those drives separate faceplates for sale for under $10. I would buy the ODD you want, faceplate or not, try it and if you need it then get a faceplate. My guess is that you won't need it since it's internal behind the "face" of the case.

Maybe someone with an Origenae or Wesena case with the same kind of ODD slot would know better?



I use the Wesena e5 case with a Silverstone slot load DVD. The faceplate is important because of the slit foam insert in the faceplate slot. It aligns and protects the disk when it's inserted.
post #56 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsimmons View Post

I just finished a build with that same set-up...except using the Asrock z68 mini-itx motherboard and an i3-2105. I really like the case and everything fits nicely. I will not be using an ODD it this setup as I intend it for the bedroom. The Titan CPU cooler that Stardog recommended is a bit noiser than the stock cooler (at least mine is) so I tuned the PRMs down to around 2K and the noise level is acceptable there.

Temps run 40 to 42 C under normal load (TV or Movie playback) and everything is working without a hitch. CPU generally runs at half speed even on HD TV playpack using HDHomerun Prime over the network.

Did I say I really like the case?

I am glad you like it (and that you had no PSU troubles!) A bedroom HTPC is how I am using it too right now. I like how it looks, I like that it has the IR window, I like how little space it takes up. Did I say I really like how it looks? I've always been a Lian-Li fan and this is kind of along those lines but geared towards HTPC.

I just got a Gelid Slim Silence to try today so I'll post how that goes. It's 28mm. I want to see if with the Gelid, an 2.5" HDD or SDD can be mounted under the ODD even with the CPU under the ODD too.
post #57 of 79
Any word on the Gelid Slim Silence as iv been looking at one of these as my cpu cooler due to its size and just wondered what you thought
post #58 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I just got a Gelid Slim Silence to try today so I'll post how that goes. It's 28mm. I want to see if with the Gelid, an 2.5" HDD or SDD can be mounted under the ODD even with the CPU under the ODD too.

I got the Gelid installed this morning and I am happy to report success on a few fronts. First, an SSD can be installed under the ODD with the Gelid installled. It's a perfect fit with no room to spare. The SSD sits on the heatsink but does not interfere with the fan. Second, the Gelid is quieter than the Titan (not that the Titan was real loud). Third, and very important since this is what it's for, It seems to do a bit better job cooling than the Titan (again not that the Titan ran hot). Under Prime95 testing, Speedfan never went over 125F.

We have a winner! With the Gelid, it's possible to install an ODD, 2.5" SSD or HDD and a 1155/1156 system in the HT80 with everything where it's "supposed' to go and have everything adequately cooled and running quiet. I am very happy.
post #59 of 79
Thats good to here all the reviews seem positive for the gelid , id found the PCCooler S85 in the uk but i think im going to go for the gelid
post #60 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_parker123 View Post

Thats good to here all the reviews seem positive for the gelid , id found the PCCooler S85 in the uk but i think im going to go for the gelid

I haven't found the PCCooler S85 in the US. I am not sure if it's just not available here or if it's sold under some other name. It's 1mm shorter than the Gelid so I wanted to give it a go. The Gelid is surprisingly good, it fits and NewEgg.com sells it so I think it'll be my go-to for these kind of small builds.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › HT80 mini-ITX HTPC case build (with pictures)