or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › 100 Years of Universal: Restoring the Classics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

100 Years of Universal: Restoring the Classics

post #1 of 74
Thread Starter 
This 9+-minute feature on the BD of All Quiet on the Western Front re: how Universal is restoring its classics shows some scenes of what I assume will be BDs of Frankenstein and Dracula. Their restorations look awesome - esp. considering how, e.g., Dracula only exists in poor prints, IIRC - compared to the earlier DVD editions.
post #2 of 74
Ya, I love the original Dracula. But looking at the DVD I wonder where they will get the lost shadow detail.

Art
post #3 of 74
"Restoring"
post #4 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

"Restoring"

Yes please but are there elements available to obtain this restoration ? In any event , I can hope for a better result and wish all involved the very best. I love this film !!

Art
post #5 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

"Restoring"

After watching the new Out Of Africa I'm convinced these guys don't know what they're doing.
post #6 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post

After watching the new Out Of Africa I'm convinced these guys don't know what they're doing.

I was convinced a very long time ago
post #7 of 74
Hey these guys are the real deal, they scan film at 3 times its native resolution. That makes it REMASTERED FOR HDTV
post #8 of 74
What other bd's is this feature on?
post #9 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdmt View Post

What other bd's is this feature on?

Watch it here in 720p. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSlGYGYJCX8
post #10 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Ya, I love the original Dracula. But looking at the DVD I wonder where they will get the lost shadow detail.

Art

Universal should have a near-perfect Dracula on Blu-ray. The 35mm print I ran a couple of years ago was brand new and flawless, but they are going back and re-scanning it to clean up some minor anomalies. I know a person involved with the scanning of the negative for this new version and it should be great. It would be even better if Universal released it with an option to view it with the green tint that the original 1931 prints had - the color value of the tint is printed right on the leaders and easy to replicate.
post #11 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post

It would be even better if Universal released it with an option to view it with the green tint that the original 1931 prints had - the color value of the tint is printed right on the leaders and easy to replicate.

I can only imagine the eruption from people crying foul if a B&W film were to contain green tint ala FOTR.

post #12 of 74
That's why I said "optional". I test-ran the print with the green filtering (via Rosco gels) and would have done the public show with it as well, but didn't have the time or budget to obtain glass filters in the correct color value (the Rosco gels softened the picture too much for me to be comfortable using them for a public screening). It looked stunning with the tint, however.
post #13 of 74
Thread Starter 
Hopefully they'll keep all (three?) of Dracula's dying screams/grunts in the audio as Van Helsing drives in the stake. I wonder if they'll also include the Spanish-language version restored and on Blu-Ray - or if it will just be another DVD release, if it's included at all? (I suspect they'll keep it on DVD only, though perhaps cleaned up from its last release.)

Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, and perhaps even Son of Frankenstein, as well as The Wolfman, restored and on Blu-Ray - SWEET!
post #14 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post

Universal should have a near-perfect Dracula on Blu-ray. The 35mm print I ran a couple of years ago was brand new and flawless, but they are going back and re-scanning it to clean up some minor anomalies. I know a person involved with the scanning of the negative for this new version and it should be great. It would be even better if Universal released it with an option to view it with the green tint that the original 1931 prints had - the color value of the tint is printed right on the leaders and easy to replicate.

Sounds fantastic ! Thanks for the information.

Art
post #15 of 74
What are y'all talking about? The new Out of Africa BD is a revelation compared to the initial BD.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Out-of...4/#Screenshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat-222ASR View Post

I seen those bluray screen captures and they where just sickening. One of the shots with the snow was like WTF colour!

The screenshot comparison I think you're talking about is labeled incorrectly. The bad color is the initial release, not the new one.
post #16 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

What are y'all talking about? The new Out of Africa BD is a revelation compared to the initial BD.

Like that's hard. The new Out of Africa is riddled with edge enhancement and strange noise reduction artifacts. It doesn't look "smeary" like the awful first BD but the grain moves strangely (when it is there at all).
post #17 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post


Universal should have a near-perfect Dracula on Blu-ray. The 35mm print I ran a couple of years ago was brand new and flawless, but they are going back and re-scanning it to clean up some minor anomalies. I know a person involved with the scanning of the negative for this new version and it should be great. It would be even better if Universal released it with an option to view it with the green tint that the original 1931 prints had - the color value of the tint is printed right on the leaders and easy to replicate.

Awesome.
post #18 of 74
All I can tell is that the 100th Anniversary 40-Year Old Virgin Blu-Ray has the same transfer as the original Blu-Ray... If you saw it, you know it just used the same transfer as the DVD release. It had so much edge enhancement you'd swear all the halos made the picture quality like sharpness control was set at +100 on a TV set.
post #19 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post

Like that's hard. The new Out of Africa is riddled with edge enhancement and strange noise reduction artifacts. It doesn't look "smeary" like the awful first BD but the grain moves strangely (when it is there at all).

The new disc isn't perfect, but the filtering is not distracting. IMO, if you have avoid watching the movie in order to look for it on a 100" screen, it's probably not all that bad. Sadly, I just don't understand why Universal refuses to put forth their best effort - especially for the "100th Anniversary" collection. Or here's an idea: put forth your best effort every time.
post #20 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Sadly, I just don't understand why Universal refuses to put forth their best effort - especially for the "100th Anniversary" collection. Or here's an idea: put forth your best effort every time.

Let me explain it to you: "best effort" is more expensive to execute than is middling effort. I don't think it's an unfamiliarity with the "best effort" idea that's preventing these discs from being better executed.
post #21 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post

Universal should have a near-perfect Dracula on Blu-ray. The 35mm print I ran a couple of years ago was brand new and flawless, but they are going back and re-scanning it to clean up some minor anomalies. I know a person involved with the scanning of the negative for this new version and it should be great. It would be even better if Universal released it with an option to view it with the green tint that the original 1931 prints had - the color value of the tint is printed right on the leaders and easy to replicate.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Universal have a flawless Spartacus restoration, but used some POS master for the Blu-ray? You never know with this studio. I wish they would just get out of the Blu-ray mastering process and have their titles outsourced/licensed to someone.
post #22 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post


Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Universal have a flawless Spartacus restoration, but used some POS master for the Blu-ray? You never know with this studio. I wish they would just get out of the Blu-ray mastering process and have their titles outsourced/licensed to someone.

I heard that also
post #23 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I heard that also

Gotta save that good stuff for the big anniversary, right?
post #24 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post


Gotta save that good stuff for the big anniversary, right?

Meh, their digital masters are baked in that DNR crap now.
I am done with universal back catalogue unless something changes majorly.
post #25 of 74
Question: if DNR is preformed on Schindler's List, is it holocaust denial?
post #26 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Question: if DNR is preformed on Schindler's List, is it holocaust denial?

Are the Vatican in charge of the transfers?
post #27 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Universal have a flawless Spartacus restoration, but used some POS master for the Blu-ray? You never know with this studio. I wish they would just get out of the Blu-ray mastering process and have their titles outsourced/licensed to someone.

It was restored in the analog realm, to film. They would still need to scan it and create a quality digital master.
post #28 of 74
Yup. The Spartacus restoration is done, but that happened 20-odd years ago with Robert Harris at the helm. Therefore the film does not need 'restoring', it just needs a new transfer & mastering job done by people who ACTUALLY GIVE A ****.
post #29 of 74
Universal has announce the Sting for June. I have the HD-DVD which may not be perfect but is pretty darn good pq wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Yup. The Spartacus restoration is done, but that happened 20-odd years ago with Robert Harris at the helm. Therefore the film does not need 'restoring', it just needs a new transfer & mastering job done by people who ACTUALLY GIVE A ****.

I am not so sure a 20 year old restoration will hold up on 2K display.
post #30 of 74
The restoration of Spartacus was to the film. It should be fine as the basis for a new transfer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › 100 Years of Universal: Restoring the Classics