or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Buying advice for a 65+, I know nothing...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying advice for a 65+, I know nothing...

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Looking to buy a new TV for my HTPC. So I really don't need all the apps and internet capabilities, the HTPC does that. Plus, I'm coming from a SD projection, I'm sure I will be impressed with any HD.

I definitely want 65-70 inch. I could go up to $3000, maybe a little more, but not sure whats overkill for my needs.

I'm not savy about brands, models, anything. So I'm open to any advice or suggestions. I'm building a new house, which won't be done for another 3 months. I was going to wait, but then figured why not go ahead and use it now. So if there's something magical coming out within 3 months, that would figure in too.

Thanks for any help.
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasBuck View Post

Looking to buy a new TV for my HTPC. So I really don't need all the apps and internet capabilities, the HTPC does that. Plus, I'm coming from a SD projection, I'm sure I will be impressed with any HD.

I definitely want 65-70 inch. I could go up to $3000, maybe a little more, but not sure whats overkill for my needs.

I'm not savy about brands, models, anything. So I'm open to any advice or suggestions. I'm building a new house, which won't be done for another 3 months. I was going to wait, but then figured why not go ahead and use it now. So if there's something magical coming out within 3 months, that would figure in too.

Thanks for any help.

The Sharp 70 inch led tvs are very good. Their model LC 70LE732U is excellent and would easily fit into your budget.
post #3 of 15
Well, considering your expendable cash - You can get the Samsung PN64E8000 - PLASMA , EXCELLENT TV. It has all kinds of new features, voice control, motion control, face recognition, and a built in cmaera and mic (for skype and pics/vids)excellent color and great black levels. ( not the best black levels though - don't think you would notice ). I am trying myself to decide on a new 64/65 + tv. The Samsung PN64E8000 cost $3299.99 THIS MONTH ONLY, or you can preorder from Value Electronics ( robert ) at this price, excellent and reputeable dealer. The Panasonic 65st50 should be available soon at slightly more cost , no voice / motion control no camera/ mic

god bless
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Any opinions on the LG Infinia 65LW6500 65-Inch? I like the idea of passive 3D. Then again, I'm not that knowledgeable about 3D and if\\how it would work running things through my HTPC.
post #5 of 15
stay away from passive 3d - you only get 540 res in each eye - it is not 1080p res in 3d - also , scan lines are clearly visable on passive 3d. Now when they come out with the 4k 2k res panels for passive then it would be true hd 3d at 1080p. I would also think the samsung is much less expensive than the Lg. I have the samsung pn60e8000 and it is really a great tv, one of the best if not the best. I would also reccomend you stay with plasma - 1. it is less expensive and 2 better black levels and no need to worry about flashlighting, banding, clouding etc... Even though a plasma tv has its on set of possible draw backs. The panasonic st50 is said to be an outstanding tv . Also, LG has terrible black level performance which hurts the over all picture quality.
post #6 of 15
I saw a Panasonic VT30 the other day and I have to say it was one of the nicest looking TV's I have seen in awhile. It was originally on my list, but I went with the Sammy 55D8000 LED, because I could not find a store that had the Panny VT30 to view. However I got to see one the other day and I was impressed and I wish now I would have seen it first. I think a 65" will come in right around budget.
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasBuck View Post

Any opinions on the LG Infinia 65LW6500 65-Inch? I like the idea of passive 3D. Then again, I'm not that knowledgeable about 3D and if\\how it would work running things through my HTPC.

I don't know a whole lot about the LG 6500, but I own a 47 inch 5600 and am quite pleased with it. The only thing wrong, is that I wish I had gone a little larger, as it is dwarfed sitting side by side with my 80 inch Sharp. Never saw a scan line, and as for being half rez, well that's been a point of debate for quite some time. I own both active and passive, and like passive better.

As to size and 3d, look at the 70 inch Sharp 735 series. From what I have read about them they are amoung the best as far as 3D goes. ( they are active BTW) The vieing angles on the LG are better though.

It may not so easy to find deals on either set though, as they are last years models and look to be a little harder to come across. For example; I notice both models have been taken down from Cleveland Plasma's site.
post #8 of 15
I don't think that the 65" LW6500 uses an IPS panel. The viewing angles on our display model are horrible. I have posted here many times about how bad it looks - visible banding, flashlighting, and 65" is just too big for passive 3D IMO. I would avoid it. The Sharp 70LE735 is probably your best bet. There is a a new 70LE745 that is showing up at retail which is edge lit instead of backlit and lacks the quattron panel.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

I don't think that the 65" LW6500 uses an IPS panel. The viewing angles on our display model are horrible. I have posted here many times about how bad it looks - visible banding, flashlighting, and 65" is just too big for passive 3D IMO. I would avoid it. The Sharp 70LE735 is probably your best bet. There is a a new 70LE745 that is showing up at retail which is edge lit instead of backlit and lacks the quattron panel.

LG used to say if it was an ISP panel on the product page. But it looks like they have removed that info for some reason. Had to do a bit of searching to find this to confirm it is an ISP panel.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1301662476

For more info I would recommend the OP read this thread from the 3D area of the forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=isp
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
I hadn't considered plasma. At that size, is it better to go that way? And looking at the Sharps, is backlit still better than edgelit? And is lacking the quattron panel a bad thing? (Sorry, told you I have no idea what I'm looking at, and researching is confusing me more so thought I would just ask).
post #11 of 15
The LG isn't an IPS panel in the 65"...as far as I know they are not producing IPS panels in that size. If you don't have a preference last years flagship Panny plasma is a nice display and because it's last years model it can be had for a very good price. Last years 7 series Sharp is full array and most owners seem to really like them from what I've read, it's proven as is the Panny and either would be a good choice.
post #12 of 15
I have a 54" Panasonic VT25, I would not recommend Plasma to anyone. I have minor uniformity issues from watching some TV (white logos in the corner) and from 4:3 content even with the side bars set to gray, I am paranoid about playing games on my PS3, I have stopped watching TV all together out of paranoia. I am intending to sell this 11 month old junk set eat a $1000+ loss and go back to LCD.

I have been looking a lot at the 70" 735, (dark corners on most of the display sets I have seen have kept me from taking the plunge. The new 745 series doesn't seem to have that issue, but I am waiting for reviews before I pull the trigger, The prices on both are well within your budget if you do some shopping and the extra 5" over a 65" set is pretty noticeable.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasBuck View Post

I hadn't considered plasma. At that size, is it better to go that way? And looking at the Sharps, is backlit still better than edgelit? And is lacking the quattron panel a bad thing? (Sorry, told you I have no idea what I'm looking at, and researching is confusing me more so thought I would just ask).

If you are interested in the Sharp 70 inch sets why don't you simply go and read the threads on these tvs??? Generally, most people are very happy with their Sharp sets. I have the Sharp 70LE732U and love it. If you read an owners thread, and find that most people on that thread love their tv, it would be a good indication of whether to consider buying.
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the great info!
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasBuck View Post

Looking to buy a new TV for my HTPC. So I really don't need all the apps and internet capabilities, the HTPC does that. Plus, I'm coming from a SD projection, I'm sure I will be impressed with any HD.

I definitely want 65-70 inch. I could go up to $3000, maybe a little more, but not sure whats overkill for my needs.

I'm not savy about brands, models, anything. So I'm open to any advice or suggestions. I'm building a new house, which won't be done for another 3 months. I was going to wait, but then figured why not go ahead and use it now. So if there's something magical coming out within 3 months, that would figure in too.

Thanks for any help.

I used to have a HTPC a number of years ago back in 2000-2003, what do you use yours for in the modern era?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Buying advice for a 65+, I know nothing...