or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › 2 Channel Audio › Upgrade to BDP-95 from BDP-83 after the Placette Passive upgrade?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrade to BDP-95 from BDP-83 after the Placette Passive upgrade? - Page 2

post #31 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I bought the Ayre C5xe six years ago for $6000 because it was by far the best-sounding player I could find at that time. It has since been notably improved by the MP factory upgrade. It is a wonderful CD/SACD player.

I had never heard anything at any price to equal it until I bought The OPPO BDP-95. The sound quality is off the charts; noticeably better than even the Ayre. IMO it makes every player from $800 to $25,000 obsolete.

I recommend it to anyone who cares a fig about CD sound quality. It is incredible. How it compares to the other OPPO I can't say.

Thanks for the useful feedback. I appreciate first hand info like this. I am waiting to hear from oppo regarding their internal crossovers and time delay circuits when analog muti-ch outputs are used with bass management. Will be deciding soon.
post #32 of 44
Thread Starter 
Just ordered the Oppo BDP-95.
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I bought the Ayre C5xe six years ago for $6000 because it was by far the best-sounding player I could find at that time. It has since been notably improved by the MP factory upgrade. It is a wonderful CD/SACD player.

I had never heard anything at any price to equal it until I bought The OPPO BDP-95. The sound quality is off the charts; noticeably better than even the Ayre. IMO it makes every player from $800 to $25,000 obsolete.

I recommend it to anyone who cares a fig about CD sound quality. It is incredible. How it compares to the other OPPO I can't say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

Thanks for the useful feedback. I appreciate first hand info like this. I am waiting to hear from oppo regarding their internal crossovers and time delay circuits when analog muti-ch outputs are used with bass management. Will be deciding soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

Just ordered the Oppo BDP-95.

That seems a good choice to me.

Kindly post a followup after you've used it for a few days. Thanks.
post #34 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

That seems a good choice to me.

Kindly post a followup after you've used it for a few days. Thanks.

Will do. I like your quote .
post #35 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

That seems a good choice to me.

Kindly post a followup after you've used it for a few days. Thanks.

It just arrived. Beautiful machine and sounds incredibly beautiful . Not even inclined to compare because I like it right out of the box. This by no means implies that it is better than the BDP-83, as I have not done any critical listening and comparison. Simply means I like the way it sounds and I am enjoying it. will try to post a comparison after a few days as requested.
post #36 of 44
Just as an additional request, because I'm curious:

Can we get a picture with the Placette units and the Oppo all hooked up?
post #37 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert View Post

Just as an additional request, because I'm curious:

Can we get a picture with the Placette units and the Oppo all hooked up?

Not the best picture. Hopefully this satisfies your curiosity. Now I am curious, what is it that you were curious about?
LL
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

Not the best picture. Hopefully this satisfies your curiosity. Now I am curious, what is it that you were curious about?

We may not agree on the technical side of things, but I still like seeing exotic set-ups. So sue me.

Also, is that a Marantz MA monoblock up there by the Citation?
post #39 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert View Post

We may not agree on the technical side of things, but I still like seeing exotic set-ups. So sue me.

Also, is that a Marantz MA monoblock up there by the Citation?

Please feel free to question or debate on the technical side of things as that is how we learn. When it comes to subjective matters, it is more productive if you clarify them as opinions than facts.

Good observation, yes it is a Marantz and Citation 7.1s. The placette indeed is a fantastic piece of equipment. You are in the 2-ch forum. If you haven't put yourself to a blind test with various DACs, I encourage you to do so. You maybe pleased to see what you find, not sure if your wallet would agree though
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

That seems a good choice to me.

Kindly post a followup after you've used it for a few days. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

It just arrived. Beautiful machine and sounds incredibly beautiful . Not even inclined to compare because I like it right out of the box. This by no means implies that it is better than the BDP-83, as I have not done any critical listening and comparison. Simply means I like the way it sounds and I am enjoying it. will try to post a comparison after a few days as requested.

Bump.
post #41 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

That seems a good choice to me.

Kindly post a followup after you've used it for a few days. Thanks.


Sold the BDP-83 and sticking to the BDP-95. I had time for a very brief comparison between the 83 and 95 and since it was a not thorough, I cannot claim one to be better than the other. However, I can say that the 95 sounds very very good, the reason I kept it and I also like the feature of playing flac off eSATA and other small upgrades like Netflix, Pandora etc. I end up using the 95 in 2ch mode a lot of times rather than powering up the integra DHC 80.1.
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

Sold the BDP-83 and sticking to the BDP-95. I had time for a very brief comparison between the 83 and 95 and since it was a not thorough, I cannot claim one to be better than the other. However, I can say that the 95 sounds very very good, the reason I kept it and I also like the feature of playing flac off eSATA and other small upgrades like Netflix, Pandora etc.

Thanks for the brief followup.

The fact that you sold your OPPO 83 blu-ray player says a lot to me.

I also agree on continuing "small upgrades" as you call it. For me one thing I want to try is playing music files via USB input from either a thumbdrive or an external USB HDD.

Another thing is to try the free month that netflix offers, just to find out how good it is for movies with 5.1 sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

I end up using the 95 in 2ch mode a lot of times rather than powering up the integra DHC 80.1.

Going straight from the OPPO 95 player to an amp for stereo music?

How do you adjust the volume?
post #43 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Thanks for the brief followup.

The fact that you sold your OPPO 83 blu-ray player says a lot to me.

I also agree on continuing "small upgrades" as you call it. For me one thing I want to try is playing music files via USB input from either a thumbdrive or an external USB HDD.

Another thing is to try the free month that netflix offers, just to find out how good it is for movies with 5.1 sound.



Going straight from the OPPO 95 player to an amp for stereo music?

How do you adjust the volume?

For volume control I use a Placette Passive Linestage (see first post that gives a little more context) in stereo mode. For HT, there is a bypass in the placette. I tried some HD tracks via USB and there were occassional skips for high resolution tracks. eSATA appears to be more stable and of course more storage with an SSD than flash.
post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

For volume control I use a Placette Passive Line stage (see first post that gives a little more context) in stereo mode. For HT, there is a bypass in the placette. I tried some HD tracks via USB and there were occasional skips for high resolution tracks. eSATA appears to be more stable and of course more storage with an SSD than flash.

I also use the placette passive line stage with the 95. I put the placette into the system several years ago with the EAD 7000 Series III DAC. Bypassing the volume controls on my integrated amplifier and inserting the placette provided the single most important upgrade to my system. I would never have thought that the "standard" volume controls introduced such noise and distortion until I heard the difference.

As far as the 95 2ch dac is concerned, while it provides uncanny clarity there is a lack of musicality when compared to the EAD dac. I listened to the 95 for several months before switching back to the EAD. When I did switch back from the first notes played I realized what I had been missing...Having said that, I do use both dacs...the EAD only handles old formats so for listening to SACD and HD audio files I use the BDP-95...but for my older CD collection the EAD has more depth, wider sound stage, and just overall sound more realistic to live performance.

I think the 95 could benefit from power supply modifications, the noise floor is high and could be improved...but spending more $ on a multifunction unit doesn't make sense.

I have also noticed that playing files though the DNLA sounds better than through the USB port...same files, same hard drive, but there is definitely more distortion when playing from the USB port. Have not tired the eSata as of yet.

For those who have not tried a passive preamp using the Vishay S102 resistors or a Bent Audio TAP preamp, if you have the opportunity to audition one in your system, odds are you won't look back.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 2 Channel Audio
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › 2 Channel Audio › Upgrade to BDP-95 from BDP-83 after the Placette Passive upgrade?