or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The OFFICIAL SAMSUNG PNXXE550 OWNERS THREAD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The OFFICIAL SAMSUNG PNXXE550 OWNERS THREAD - Page 17

post #481 of 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCloudX View Post

1. I'm almost certain it's due to being SD from ANT IN for my cable, but would that explain the washed out look? The same settings on BD are amazing.
2. When I get a chance, I'm going to load slides like D-Nice or similar and break in the TV while not being watched. In the meantime, is the Scroll feature even worth it?
3. Has anyone had issues with Netflix not looking as good as it could? I need to try it with other content, but on my desktop I didn't notice the PQ being as eh as it was.
1. Don't look any further, SD programming looks washed out on mine too, even though I'm hooked up in fiber optic.
2. I was worried about IR/BI just like you and wanted to break in the TV with slides, but I did'nt had the chance to do so. I just let the scrolling features on for a few nights (3-4) and try to watch only full screen HD content for the first week. I don't recommand you to play on your PS3 or to watch a Bluray with black bars for the first week either, but hey, it's your set! If you do so, make sure to start the scrolling thing after for a few minutes. I have my TV for 3 months now, and I can't notice any IR/BI, even after a movie with black bars or after watching the news or playing PS3.
3. About Netflix, I'm using it on my PS3, I did'nt try it on the TV so far, and I also noticed that some content is not looking so good, but it's mostly on old shows or movie, just like you did. I never watch it on my laptop so I can't compare, but try to find a recent movie, and you'll see the picture as it is supposed to be.
About your settings, you can trust the CNET's one. You'll notice after the break-in time that the picture quality will be even better. You made a good choice by choosing this TV. I'm having mine since 3 months after havind 5 LED in a year and I can't be happier!biggrin.gif
As you can see, I'm kinda new to the community too, but welcome!
post #482 of 657
There's an update in the App Store for the remote, and guess what? It works! Finally!
It supports IOS6!biggrin.gif
But I can't fin the way to use the keyboard to search something on Youtube. Anybody want to try it and let me know?
Thanks guys!smile.gif
post #483 of 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoQc View Post

1. Don't look any further, SD programming looks washed out on mine too, even though I'm hooked up in fiber optic.
2. I was worried about IR/BI just like you and wanted to break in the TV with slides, but I did'nt had the chance to do so. I just let the scrolling features on for a few nights (3-4) and try to watch only full screen HD content for the first week. I don't recommand you to play on your PS3 or to watch a Bluray with black bars for the first week either, but hey, it's your set! If you do so, make sure to start the scrolling thing after for a few minutes. I have my TV for 3 months now, and I can't notice any IR/BI, even after a movie with black bars or after watching the news or playing PS3.
3. About Netflix, I'm using it on my PS3, I did'nt try it on the TV so far, and I also noticed that some content is not looking so good, but it's mostly on old shows or movie, just like you did. I never watch it on my laptop so I can't compare, but try to find a recent movie, and you'll see the picture as it is supposed to be.
About your settings, you can trust the CNET's one. You'll notice after the break-in time that the picture quality will be even better. You made a good choice by choosing this TV. I'm having mine since 3 months after havind 5 LED in a year and I can't be happier!biggrin.gif
As you can see, I'm kinda new to the community too, but welcome!

Thanks for that, just what I needed to hear! I figured the Netflix and SD wasn't the TV's fault, but wanted to be sure. When I get a chance to mess with it some more, I'll post my findings.

Oh, something I left out... I have not heard any buzzing, what so ever. My TV was made in November.
post #484 of 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoQc View Post

There's an update in the App Store for the remote, and guess what? It works! Finally!
It supports IOS6!biggrin.gif
But I can't fin the way to use the keyboard to search something on Youtube. Anybody want to try it and let me know?
Thanks guys!smile.gif
Joy!
post #485 of 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoQc View Post

There's an update in the App Store for the remote, and guess what? It works! Finally!
It supports IOS6!biggrin.gif
But I can't fin the way to use the keyboard to search something on Youtube. Anybody want to try it and let me know?
Thanks guys!smile.gif

man it's about time. I deleted this app months ago (give or take) because it always kept disconnecting.
post #486 of 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post

How are you connected to your network?

wired..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckeLM View Post

I don't think that is normal. My TV runs fine with all those things enabled. If you have a warranty I would just trade it for a new one. Sounds like something is up with your processors. mad.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post

How are you connected to your network?

thanks... i had the tv for a few months now, but i believe i have 1 year of warranty. ill get in touch samsung so i can help it checked for replacement...
post #487 of 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinbiscuits View Post

man it's about time. I deleted this app months ago (give or take) because it always kept disconnecting.
Do you know if there's a way to use the iPhone keyboard to search something on Youtube?
post #488 of 657
Hi, I have had my PN60E5500 for a couple of months now. I returned the first one I bought within 30 days because of flashing and flickering horizontal lines in the screen. Had the same issue with the second one and finally an in-home service call resolved the issue. Technician says he replaced a bunch of boards. RF board, main board, he was kind of vague as to what he did exactly. Now when I watch a 3D movie, it always defaults to 2D and I have to manually turn off 3D to 2D conversion in the menu. I have to wait until the movie actually starts to reset it because if I reset it in the 3D Blu-ray menu screen, it converts it back to 2D upon start of the movie. Is there a setting I'm missing? Is this normal? My 3D blu-ray player is a Sammy BD-6500. Thanks for any insight.
post #489 of 657
Hey all. I recently purchased a Samsung PN60E550, and everything works fine except for one issue: the TV seems unable to obtain an IP address from my wireless router. I've tried different configurations and networks, even tried connecting to our neighbor's unsecured network, and it simply will not work over wifi. It does work just fine when I plug an ethernet cable into the back, but I shouldn't have to do that -- it says it's a wifi tv!

I actually had the television exchanged for the same model through Amazon, because the tech support person said it sounded like a manufacturing defect. Sadly, the new television has the same problem. I have updated the firmware to the latest version, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get the TV to obtain a proper IP address. I've tried manually assigning an IP configuration, and this does not fix the issue. None of my other devices have a problem connecting to the wireless network, so...

Has anyone else experienced this problem? It's quite frustrating. frown.gif
post #490 of 657
PNXXE550 initial thoughts....

I took delivery of this beast on January 2nd after a Boxing Day sale at Futureshop here in Canada. I bought it online for $999. At this time I am using the CNET settings. Still monkeying around with "Smart Hub". There is a lot of stuff in there, a lot of it is fluff.

On power-up I was guided through initial start-up menus. I was connected to my network and upgraded the firm ware in minutes, ...no problems at all. As stated above, I dialed in the CNET settings. I have watched a variety of regular TV, sports and just a few minutes of TLOTR on Bluray. The colours are rich, the flesh tones natural and images razor sharp. I must say I am very impressed. It was while watching the Cotton Bowl that I realized how good this thing really is. I upgraded from a Panny TH-50PX75U which had excellent image quality. The Sammy blows it away! There is a huge difference, as well, when it comes to motion blurring or pixilization. With the Panny, when the camera would follow a player with the crowd panning behind, there would be a lot of picture break-up. None at all with the Sammy.

Another issue that I, thankfully, have avoided is the dreaded "buzz". None! Dead quiet.

Many people have talked about the glare. I will say it has a little more than the Panny, but not a big issue.

Yup...you can call me a happy camper!! Now if we could just get them to DROP THE PUCK!!!
post #491 of 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaiden View Post

Hey all. I recently purchased a Samsung PN60E550, and everything works fine except for one issue: the TV seems unable to obtain an IP address from my wireless router. I've tried different configurations and networks, even tried connecting to our neighbor's unsecured network, and it simply will not work over wifi. It does work just fine when I plug an ethernet cable into the back, but I shouldn't have to do that -- it says it's a wifi tv!
I actually had the television exchanged for the same model through Amazon, because the tech support person said it sounded like a manufacturing defect. Sadly, the new television has the same problem. I have updated the firmware to the latest version, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get the TV to obtain a proper IP address. I've tried manually assigning an IP configuration, and this does not fix the issue. None of my other devices have a problem connecting to the wireless network, so...
Has anyone else experienced this problem? It's quite frustrating. frown.gif

i had the same experience with wifi, initially was able to connect to my router but after a few days after i realize that its not connecting anymore or it connects randomly..

this tv is actually great PQ and other stuffs wise, but its smart function is so dumb!
post #492 of 657
I have this tv wired to my router and the connection has worked always. IMO the smart TV is awesome. The plex app direct plays everything including a 20GB 1080p movie. This means my server doesn't have to do any transcoding biggrin.gif

The browser plays all flash content flawlessly I just they had a plugin for adblock plus for websites like sidereel. The youtube app sucks because it cannot take input from keyboard but I just use the browser
post #493 of 657
In the past few days, I can def see an increase in PQ. It makes me anxious to see what next week brings after it really gets broken in. Even the SD content looks great - really enjoyed the Cotton Bowl and Wild Card games today. For SD they looked great. Netflix even looks better. BD movies continue to really impress me. Very happy so far with my purchase.
post #494 of 657
Any way to make the smart tv to be the default start up when I turn the TV on?
post #495 of 657
Can someone log online on their ps3/xbox and do the simple test on the link below:

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/

MY LG 47LW450U is averaging about 305ms on pc input mode and around 380ms on game mode. If the PN51E550 is the real deal then we should be seeing about 235ms.
I'm a serious COD gamer (4.96kd on MW3 and in the top 800 on WAW) and can really feel lag input, I use my Sony 42" for FPS gaming and it's around 30ms but still feels a little sticky at times.
I'm seriously considering an E550 or used D550 for gaming and would like to know the results with PC mode selected and normal mode if anyone has the time.

Cheers

Matt.
post #496 of 657
Hello folks,

I'm a plasma newbie, and I have been taking my time and trying a few tweaks. First let me say "black" level is not an issue for me, black looks pretty darn black to me even with the cnet settings cell power of 20. Colors pop, and most of the motion blur from current lcd sets is not there so I am very happy with 64550, except for one issue. Blacks and greys some times look crushed of clay faced for a lack of a better description, or really blocky. I was watching Madagascar 3 bluray with the kids and the dark train yard where they "find" the circus looked awful with 1 inch grey or black blocks appearing everywhere. The mentalist in HD (from satellite) did the same thing with black suits on actors, in some shots they looked more like checker boards the suits. I shut off all the processing on the display chain (Samsung blu ray, onkyo receiver, Plasma TV) and updated all the firmware. Tried on and off of quite a few settings on the TV but I have had no luck. I know it must be a setting as I can't see other people not noticing this on the satellite it was very noticeable.

Any thoughts? Also if was the biggest Samsung Plasma I could get period, no body stocks the higher series in 64 inch. Looks like it's this or a Panny GT.
post #497 of 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckeLM View Post

I originally bought the E530 and HATED IT! this is so much better! I love the 3-D and Apps and the picture quality is awesome. I do see the pop-up smart hub when its signing you in, which is frustrating but I can handle it. Another thing that i had a huge problem with initially was the Digital Noise reduction filter. I set it to high not knowing it would cause TERRIBLE motion blur. So be wise and turn it off! Everything else seems to be awesome. Though the one thing I do wish for is an app for my phone to let me control the mouse in smart hub. There is an app already called allshare control but its only for teh Samsung Galaxy 3 and Tablet. :C

so the 60e530 has motion issues that cannot be fixed in settings? the 60e550 has settings for this?
post #498 of 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltah View Post

so the 60e530 has motion issues that cannot be fixed in settings? the 60e550 has settings for this?
Yes, the E530 has a menu options for picture settings, including Digital NR. However, that particular setting really has nothing to do with the motion blurring that is being referred to. I have the 60E530 and very happy with it. In the official thread, I posted the picture settings and test results from the Spears and Munsil calibration Blu ray if you are interested.
post #499 of 657
post #500 of 657
anyone able to point me to some baseline settings for the 60 inch?
post #501 of 657
Hey guys I have a question about the HDMI black level.
When I'm watching a Bluray on my PS3, the setting is greyed out.
My question is about ''normal'' HD content on my cable box. The first Harry Potter was playing (again!) earlier today and during a dark scene, I played with my settings and realize something. When the HDMI black level is on low, blacks are just perfect, but during the dark scene, I put it on normal and notice that there was a lot of detail that I was not able to see when on low, but blacks were more grey and the picture looked washed out. Is it me that is too used to the low HDMI black level? Should I put it on normal? Is there a way I can see all the details but keep a rich, non-washed out picture even on normal? What is your HDMI black level setting?
I tried to googled my question first but I could not find a clear and definitive answer.
My settings are currently the Cnet's one, and I'm using HDMI cables for my cable box and my PS3.
post #502 of 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by **OptimusPrime** View Post

Yes, the E530 has a menu options for picture settings, including Digital NR. However, that particular setting really has nothing to do with the motion blurring that is being referred to. I have the 60E530 and very happy with it. In the official thread, I posted the picture settings and test results from the Spears and Munsil calibration Blu ray if you are interested.

i think he is trying to justify the extra money spent on the apps, etc... which are pointless for folks that have htpc/ps3 etc....

thanks for the heads up
post #503 of 657
I solved my issue buy setting the color space option to native, my set does hum or buzz, but it's no worse then the fan on a RPTV or projector so far to date.
post #504 of 657
Please refer to this:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Samsung-PN51E530A3-Plasma-HDTV-Review/Performance.htm

Like I said before the TV has a motion blur problem that cannot be changed or removed. I'm not lieing when I saw this, once you notice it it will be something you look for (human nature) and if your going to spend nearly a thousand dollars I would suggest upgrading to the E550 for 200 dollars more. Just my opinion. Everything was great with the E530 but the motion blur. tongue.gif
post #505 of 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoQc View Post

Should I put it on normal? Is there a way I can see all the details but keep a rich, non-washed out picture even on normal? What is your HDMI black level setting?

This is up to personal preference. I use Low HDMI black output on my cable box. I think it makes the picture POP and the contrast is much higher. When it is on standard you get more shadow detail, which i guess would be the optimal setting. At Best Buy we recommend settings like that, ones that allow detail in shadows and darker pictures. Though with anything its up to what you think looks best. I myself HATED the way the "Professionally Calibrated" screen looked next to one that had the Dynamic picture mode on. I like high contrast and vivid color (mine is up there at 80 while my contrast is 100 and brightness at 25 with HDMI black on low.) Just tinker around and find your soft spot! ITS FUN! I love messing with the menus and settings! biggrin.gif:D
post #506 of 657
Joqc I've got the e450 . Try lowering contrast if your brightest whites look real bright and adjust brightness, make sure backlght is highest, and all other extra settings are off.
post #507 of 657
Oh but be careful because with really high Contrast and low brightness comes Image Retention so you have to be sure to set video game HUD's to low opacity and stretch the screen on SD content whenever you can! wink.gif
post #508 of 657
Also as a quick aside, I got my first Dead Pixel two days ago :C RIP lil pixel!!! mad.gif
post #509 of 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckeLM View Post

Also as a quick aside, I got my first Dead Pixel two days ago :C RIP lil pixel!!! mad.gif

I have been wrong before, but I believe dead pixels are a LCD problem.

I think what you have is a stuck pixel.

Try running a screen wipe over night.
post #510 of 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckeLM View Post

This is up to personal preference. I use Low HDMI black output on my cable box. I think it makes the picture POP and the contrast is much higher. When it is on standard you get more shadow detail, which i guess would be the optimal setting. At Best Buy we recommend settings like that, ones that allow detail in shadows and darker pictures. Though with anything its up to what you think looks best. I myself HATED the way the "Professionally Calibrated" screen looked next to one that had the Dynamic picture mode on. I like high contrast and vivid color (mine is up there at 80 while my contrast is 100 and brightness at 25 with HDMI black on low.) Just tinker around and find your soft spot! ITS FUN! I love messing with the menus and settings! biggrin.gif:D
Thanks for the quick reply buddy!
Last night I put the HDMI black level on normal and watch the TV like this. At first, I tought that it was washed out but I got use to it. I left it like that all day long today (still on Christmas Holiday!cool.gif) and I just tried to put it back to Low and I did'nt like it! It was way to saturated for me, and I was loosing a lot of detail during Fast Five recorded on my cable box! I think my eyes just got use to the Low level and it was a too big difference when I wrote my post last night. So my settings are now just perfect for me, the picture really ''pops'' and I got all the details. I think everyone should trust Cnet regarding the settings for this particular TV, they are just perfect!
But I'm still having an issue with the iPhone app. Does anyone know if it's possible to use the phone keyboard the search something on Youtube for example? I was waiting for the update only to be abl to do this. Searching with the arrow is painful and takes way too long, and don't make a mistake, 'cause you're screwed!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The OFFICIAL SAMSUNG PNXXE550 OWNERS THREAD