or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Toshiba L6200U/L7200U Passive-3D Owner's Thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Toshiba L6200U/L7200U Passive-3D Owner's Thread... - Page 5

post #121 of 390
Hey Valcyon,

I did update the firmware, but no change in 3d performance... but your comment gave me an idea... I should try the update software option again, just in case I didn't get the latest. (I'll check the number too if I can)

As for the screen... I have massaged the screen a bit, plus played with the settings which has drastically reduced the visability of the clouding etc. It's still pretty poor, but getting closer to what I expect from an edge lit LCD.

Got a little while before I have to decide if I need to exchange, I'll keep playing.
post #122 of 390
Whooaaa... just tried Wipeout HD in 3D. AMAZING, no crosstalk whatsoever... I have no idea why Lion King 3D looks so "crosstalky".
post #123 of 390
@Harvey do you mind describing what you see as crosstalk? I think the Toshiba 3d rendering engine is less forgiving and very source quality dependent. Also have you had a chance to see lion king 3d in another passive system to compare?

Note: Not having seen Lion King 3d myself, but having read blu ray dot com's video quality review, it seems this 3d conversion of a near 2 decade old animation is pretty flawless with virtually no ghosting or stereoscopic issues being reported by the reviewer. So I'm assuming in this case it isn't the source that's the problem. Any thoughts?
Edited by 3dfanman - 6/30/12 at 10:14am
post #124 of 390
I saw the Lion King 3D playing in a store on a Panasonic ET5. It looked amazing, with no crosstalk on the scenes I saw. (From what I remember) That's what made me look at passive 3d in the first place. (Active 3d bothers me, as I can see the flicker in my peripheral vision.
I read some reviews of the ET5 that indicated it suffers from some lag and smaearing... two things I really didn't want in a set.

My 7200 still isn't calibrated per-say, I but I've got some spectacular images out of it so far. I still think the uniformity is poor, but I'm worried that if I exchange it for another of the same model it could be worse. If I exchange for a Panny ET5, I could get lag and smearing (plus it may not be uniform either).

Gamers out there... anyone using a Panasonic ET5? Probably not on this thread wink.gif
post #125 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyTAS View Post

anyone using a Panasonic ET5? Probably not on this thread wink.gif

I'll have mine on Friday... it's being shipped this week from Amazon.
post #126 of 390
Can passive 3d stereoscopics be calibrated in general ?
post #127 of 390
Sorry, I didn't mean calibrate the 3D... just the set in general.

************************************************

I exchanged my set today for another 7200u.

Uniformity is still poor... biggest flaw is in the same place, lower left.

As long as Dynalight is turned on it's almost non existant, but entering youtube kicks the backlight to full and the problem rears it's ugly head.

Normal viewing appears to be unaffected as long as the backlight isn't cranked, but I'm still surprised these sets left the factory with an obvious light bleed.

I'll give it a few more days before I decide if I'm going to keep or exchange.
post #128 of 390
That's too bad, but I suppose back light bleeds are related to the price point of a unit. Something needs to be cut back to hit the lower price point and in this case it may be the filters. Personally I don't think it's a matter of factory QC so much as economics.
Edited by 3dfanman - 7/1/12 at 8:29pm
post #129 of 390
Headsup! FRYS has the 55L6200 for $1000 till 5th. Only in stores (Not online). Some store who have run out are substituting with the LG 55LM6700 model. Very good price if your store still has one.biggrin.gif
post #130 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyTAS View Post

Sorry, I didn't mean calibrate the 3D... just the set in general.
************************************************
I exchanged my set today for another 7200u.
Uniformity is still poor... biggest flaw is in the same place, lower left.
As long as Dynalight is turned on it's almost non existant, but entering youtube kicks the backlight to full and the problem rears it's ugly head.
Normal viewing appears to be unaffected as long as the backlight isn't cranked, but I'm still surprised these sets left the factory with an obvious light bleed.
I'll give it a few more days before I decide if I'm going to keep or exchange.

Try loosening the screws on the back of the panel in that area. Sometimes the tightening of the screws can cause this. Hopefully this is helpful
post #131 of 390
CNET did a review of the 5200 and it was ok, I emailed them and ask if they would review the 6200/7200. I am still really interested in this set but would like to see a review.
post #132 of 390
There is a link to a pretty thorough review earlier in this thread, I also posted my observations.
post #133 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyTAS View Post

Bad news for interested buyers... As I mentioned above, I picked up an L7200U from visions, but after some pretty positive first impressions, I'm literally horrified by the screen uniformity.
Tested:
2D: Initial impressions were great, good contrast and colors and I haven't even calibrated yet. Motion is excellent, especially in cinema mode... it seems to smooth a bit without the unnatural soap opera effect.
3D: OK - I've seen passive 3d Panasonics and LGs at stores... both looked very good, but my 7200 seems to have a weird crosstalk effect when there is heavy motion onscreen. It is giving me a head ache to be honest. Stationary or limited motion scenes look excellent and have a great sense of depth, but it all falls apart when things start moving.
Build: Good - Seems solid enough and looks fantastic on my TV stand. The top corners don't seem to be perfectly molded to the screen however.
Menu / Controls: Pretty good, I like the remote and the menu seems to work fine.
Smart: OK - Tried out Netflix and You tube, which seem to work fine, but the menu is sluggish to bring up.
Screen uniformity: FAIL - My screen looks like an abstract greyscale painting when an all black screen is displayed. It isn't noticeable all the time, but any darker scene looks like you are watching through a vignette filter or something. It might be a random defect from the factory, but it's too bad for me to ignore. I may sound like I'm being picky, but my wife, who can't tell the difference between HD and SD said: "What the hell is wrong with our new TV? It's got spots all over it." I knew I had to take it back. Not sure if I'll try another 7200 or go for the Panny ET5.
Sorry for the terrible spelling and grammar, I need to go to bed.


Sounds like you got a bad Unit. I have the 55L6200U and the 3d is super. First I must say I've compared it to several new sets and no not in store on a shelf at electronics store. They were a Panasonic Plasma active gt50, vt50, Panasonic ET5 passive, LG LM7600, and 8600 (owned both and returned for horrible flash lighting and clouding and apparent over heating problems), and last year and this years new active Samsungs. I can say the 3d is great on this Toshiba. no cross talk or or uniformity issues. No ghosting or flash lighting or clouding issues period. That one you got surely sounds like it has a defect somewhere.

Also I would keep looking past the Panasonic ET5 gaming is horrible, lag is awful and you'll want to pull your hair out! If you don't like the Toshiba the ET5 was a big let down for me. IT has a very narrow viewing angle, 3d was average some cross talk and the black levels were terrible, and the few I've seen has had horrible Clouding and Flashlighting like the couple LG LM models I've had and returned. I will honestly say and I'm not brand loyal by no means, but this Toshiba 55L6200U is terrific. I may be an exception however and have gotten a really good one. But I must say The colors, picture in 2d and regular SD broadcasting is super. Blu ray is terrific. The 3d is also very good. I would say it's on equal ground with the best current passive 3d displays. The viewing angle could be a little better, however most LED sets will not have as good of a viewing angle as plasma.

For gaming in game mode. I've found no lag. I haven't tested it (hooked up pc to run test) but playing it as I play first person shooter, BF3, Black Ops, ect. where you can really notice if a lag is present somewhere. I have not noticed any in game mode and the response is great. I have it running through an Onkyo receiver.
Edited by Jchop - 7/3/12 at 3:23am
post #134 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchop View Post

For gaming in game mode. I've found no lag. I haven't tested it (hooked up pc to run test) but playing it as I play first person shooter, BF3, Black Ops, ect. where you can really notice if a lag is present somewhere. I have not noticed any in game mode and the response is great. I have it running through an Onkyo receiver.

Hi Jchop, everybody is saying that the input lag is really good on this tv set, but i and many others like me would really like to see a number.
You seem to have hooked it up to your pc, could perhaps do a quick input lag test?

You can find the free software right here:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1229335064
post #135 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruudboek View Post

Hi Jchop, everybody is saying that the input lag is really good on this tv set, but i and many others like me would really like to see a number.
You seem to have hooked it up to your pc, could perhaps do a quick input lag test?
You can find the free software right here:
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1229335064

IF I can get around to it this evening I will try to post up here. Only problem is if I can get my hands on another CRT monitor to do it.
Edited by Jchop - 7/3/12 at 11:18am
post #136 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by okhealthy View Post

I believe Toshiba is using AU Optronics panels at this time, also found in less expensive models. i think so... thax InYourEyes ...smile.gif56.jpg

ya and the AU optronics panels also rate very good. I don't care if they use them in less expensive panels. Picture is what matters and it looks super to me, and I've compared a few.
post #137 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchop View Post

IF I can get around to it this evening I will try to post up here. Only problem is if I can get my hands on another CRT monitor to do it.

Well a laptop is also ok, but a CRT monitor would be absolutely perfect. I have been waiting for months for someone to do an input lag test on the L6200, so cannot wait for the results wink.gif
post #138 of 390
I second that opinion. My set is also awesome and PQ is excellent. Like I said in many posts, the only downside is no flash support & very less apps compared to Samsung / LG/or any other. If your primary objective to just watch TV and perhaps use a bluray player/Media player for the apps then it is perfect fit. I would say buying from a dealer who would exchange is prefereble always as you might end up with one that is not good.
post #139 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post

Try loosening the screws on the back of the panel in that area. Sometimes the tightening of the screws can cause this. Hopefully this is helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchop View Post

Sounds like you got a bad Unit. I have the 55L6200U and the 3d is super. First I must say I've compared it to several new sets and no not in store on a shelf at electronics store. They were a Panasonic Plasma active gt50, vt50, Panasonic ET5 passive, LG LM7600, and 8600 (owned both and returned for horrible flash lighting and clouding and apparent over heating problems), and last year and this years new active Samsungs. I can say the 3d is great on this Toshiba. no cross talk or or uniformity issues. No ghosting or flash lighting or clouding issues period. That one you got surely sounds like it has a defect somewhere.
Also I would keep looking past the Panasonic ET5 gaming is horrible, lag is awful and you'll want to pull your hair out! If you don't like the Toshiba the ET5 was a big let down for me. IT has a very narrow viewing angle, 3d was average some cross talk and the black levels were terrible, and the few I've seen has had horrible Clouding and Flashlighting like the couple LG LM models I've had and returned. I will honestly say and I'm not brand loyal by no means, but this Toshiba 55L6200U is terrific. I may be an exception however and have gotten a really good one. But I must say The colors, picture in 2d and regular SD broadcasting is super. Blu ray is terrific. The 3d is also very good. I would say it's on equal ground with the best current passive 3d displays. The viewing angle could be a little better, however most LED sets will not have as good of a viewing angle as plasma.

For gaming in game mode. I've found no lag. I haven't tested it (hooked up pc to run test) but playing it as I play first person shooter, BF3, Black Ops, ect. where you can really notice if a lag is present somewhere. I have not noticed any in game mode and the response is great. I have it running through an Onkyo receiver.

Hey Jchop,

Thanks for your response.... I was considering switching to a Panasonic ET5, but I was worried about the gaming performance... good to know that it wouldn't be worth my time to try it.

As for my 55L7200U... The light bleed is annoying the few select times it becomes noticable, but it's definitely better than having unplayable lag.

I would also agree that the 2D performance is excellent and despite my eariler post... the 3D is amazing as well.

My big issue was with the Lion King 3D, which has this ghosting effect when the characters would move... the painted backgrounds all look awesome, but the animated characters remind me of NES sprites. The flicker when they move quickly accross the screen... must be a source material thing or the vid engine not nowing how to handle the flat color characters in 3D. (No issues in 2d) The only other strange thing is that the Cars 2 preview on the same disc has some weird ghosting as well. I bought the Under the Sea IMAX movie... WOW!!! No ghosting, super detailed and super deep image. Maybe the source material is a different type of 3d then the Lion King. (SBS vs FP or something)

I've been meaning to do a lag test as well, but I end up just playing with the set instead... the set is basically lag free from what I can tell, even outside of game mode it's not noticable, but I'll get my HTPC up and running and test it out.
post #140 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post

Try loosening the screws on the back of the panel in that area. Sometimes the tightening of the screws can cause this. Hopefully this is helpful

BFJ 96 - I loosened one of the screws on the back left side just to test, but it doesn't appear to have an effect. I think the screws on the back may only hold the plastic shell to the frame, not mount the LCD to the frame. I'm not really interested in dissassembling to find out ; )
post #141 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyTAS View Post

I've been meaning to do a lag test as well, but I end up just playing with the set instead... the set is basically lag free from what I can tell, even outside of game mode it's not noticable, but I'll get my HTPC up and running and test it out.

Wow, then we are going to have input lag results from both L6200 as well as the L7200, you guys are definitely going to be the first on the net!
post #142 of 390
Hmm, I took off the back cover on my TV today and it has a LG panel LC550EUG which comes up as LG 55lm6700 heres a pic, what the hell cant upload more than one pic SOB 450 The pic is from May build and April has the same so where is this AUO panel at?
Edited by HyperC - 7/3/12 at 2:10pm
post #143 of 390
HARVEYTAS, can you take a photo of your panel wanna see if they are the same sticker should be TOP RIGHT CORNER
post #144 of 390
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperC View Post

Hmm, I took off the back cover on my TV today and it has a LG panel LC550EUG which comes up as LG 55lm6700 heres a pic, what the hell cant upload more than one pic SOB 450 The pic is from May build and April has the same so where is this AUO panel at?
Looks like the L6200U/7200U are using LG panels after all. Can you post some pictures of the main board video circuit? Do you see the word "Toshiba" stamped on the circuit board or not?
post #145 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperC View Post

HARVEYTAS, can you take a photo of your panel wanna see if they are the same sticker should be TOP RIGHT CORNER

OK, I'll take a look at my panel tonight.
post #146 of 390
@ HyperC thanks for the effort friend, it's good to know they are using Chinese made LG panels.

@Jchop quote: "First I must say I've compared it to several new sets and no not in store on a shelf at electronics store..." buddy unless you have a lab or all those TVs running in the same room at the same time with the same material, you're point reference is memory...

@HarveyTAS Typically the more pricey full-array LCD-LED panels with local dimming present less screen uniformity challenges, and the more affordable LCD panels, mainly those which are edge-lit, are more likely to exhibit screen uniformity problems. Significant factors involve the design of the diffuser used to propagate the backlighting and the quality of the LCD matrix. It's unlikely that plastic housing would cause backlight bleeds. To reduce the irritation, stay away from viewing TV in a very dark room. Set up bias lighting at the rear of the panel to cut down the perception of subtle brightness blemishes over the screen. As far as the 3D goes, you may want to think about using a different pair of passive glasses as the pair that came with the unit may not be the greatest. In common here's a quick guideline for lens materials and optical clarity (from REI):

Glass—
PROS: Superior optical clarity; superior scratch-resistance.
CONS: Heavier than others; expensive; glass will "spider" when impacted.

NXT polyurethane—
PROS: Superior impact-resistance; excellent optical clarity; flexible and lightweight.
CONS: Expensive.

Polycarbonate—
PROS: Excellent impact-resistance; very good optical clarity; affordable; lightweight and low bulk.
CONS: Less scratch-resistance; slightly less optical-clarity than glass or NXT.

Acrylic—
PROS: Inexpensive alternative to polycarbonate, best suited for casual or occasional-use sunglasses.
CONS: Less durable and optically clear than polycarbonate or glass; some image distortion.

Most manufacturer provided glasses tend to be of the Acrylic type, so that may be something to contemplate. Also the curvature of the lens will influence refraction and ghosting.
post #147 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dfanman View Post

@ HyperC thanks for the effort friend, it's good to know they are using Chinese made LG panels.
@Jchop quote: "First I must say I've compared it to several new sets and no not in store on a shelf at electronics store..." buddy unless you have a lab or all those TVs running in the same room at the same time with the same material, you're point reference is memory...
@HarveyTAS Typically the more pricey full-array LCD-LED panels with local dimming present less screen uniformity challenges, and the more affordable LCD panels, mainly those which are edge-lit, are more likely to exhibit screen uniformity problems. Significant factors involve the design of the diffuser used to propagate the backlighting and the quality of the LCD matrix. It's unlikely that plastic housing would cause backlight bleeds. To reduce the irritation, stay away from viewing TV in a very dark room. Set up bias lighting at the rear of the panel to cut down the perception of subtle brightness blemishes over the screen. As far as the 3D goes, you may want to think about using a different pair of passive glasses as the pair that came with the unit may not be the greatest. In common here's a quick guideline for lens materials and optical clarity (from REI):
Glass—
PROS: Superior optical clarity; superior scratch-resistance.
CONS: Heavier than others; expensive; glass will "spider" when impacted.
NXT polyurethane—
PROS: Superior impact-resistance; excellent optical clarity; flexible and lightweight.
CONS: Expensive.

Polycarbonate—
PROS: Excellent impact-resistance; very good optical clarity; affordable; lightweight and low bulk.
CONS: Less scratch-resistance; slightly less optical-clarity than glass or NXT.

Acrylic—
PROS: Inexpensive alternative to polycarbonate, best suited for casual or occasional-use sunglasses.
CONS: Less durable and optically clear than polycarbonate or glass; some image distortion.
Most manufacturer provided glasses tend to be of the Acrylic type, so that may be something to contemplate. Also the curvature of the lens will influence refraction and ghosting.


Fair enough, but I spent $1500 CAN on this set, which isn't peanuts... I don't expect perfection, it's just hard not to be somewhat let down.

As for your comment on the glasses, I have tried a pair of LG glasses (AGF-310) with the set and I got the exact same results. Lion King looked odd in motion, but games and IMAX - Under the Sea looked great. I flipped back and forth between the included Toshiba glasses and the LG glasses and noticed no distinguishable difference. Other than the Toshiba glasses made me look like a hipster douchbag and the LG glasses made me look like a guy going through a mid life crisis... and I don't even have a porsche.
post #148 of 390
Oh and neither glasses have curved lenses, they are both flat clear pieces of plastic film.
post #149 of 390
Can somone post which apps the TV has?

Thanks
post #150 of 390
I don't have a camera right now, but my panel is an AUO . I opened up says March 2012 AUO. May be why mine is so good. I have no flash lighting or clouding.

I will try this even to get a lag test. I will have to use my laptop though. I have no crt.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Toshiba L6200U/L7200U Passive-3D Owner's Thread...