or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Defiance--New Syfy series and MMO tie in
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Defiance--New Syfy series and MMO tie in - Page 9

post #241 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

oooooooooohhhhh cchhiiiiillllldd, tthhiiiiinnnnggss aaaaarrrrreee ggooooonnaaaaa ggeeeeett eeeeeaaaasssiiiiieeerrrrrr
LOL.tongue.gif
post #242 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

oooooooooohhhhh cchhiiiiillllldd, tthhiiiiinnnnggss aaaaarrrrreee ggooooonnaaaaa ggeeeeett eeeeeaaaasssiiiiieeerrrrrr

Really? You went there?
post #243 of 425
I almost stopped watching that 3rd show before it ended. I don't think I'll be watching any more of this show. Only if I'm completely bored and it's still sitting in my Hulu queue with nothing else.

The one thing I do like is the intro credits.
post #244 of 425
This episode lost me too. Still relying on a crime of the week for Carter to investigate and this week the pheromone/bug plot seems to have been taking from multiple other SF shows.

The Earh has been redesigned following a major war with various species and yet every episode is spent wandering around the town with barely any attention paid to the how or why or the fact there is an entire planet of oddities beyond the walls.

This idea was too big for Syfy to pull off. You can tell how limited the budget is when every interaction with a CGI creation takes place off camera. The show couldn't even afford to shoot some bugs or blow them up in the closing scenes. When you consider the coolest aliens with the coolest toys are all CGI that doesn't bode well for their future appearances.
post #245 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

This episode lost me too. Still relying on a crime of the week for Carter to investigate and this week the pheromone/bug plot seems to have been taking from multiple other SF shows.

The Earh has been redesigned following a major war with various species and yet every episode is spent wandering around the town with barely any attention paid to the how or why or the fact there is an entire planet of oddities beyond the walls.

 

Well, to be fair to the characters, they are several years into the ''settling'' period after the end of the war, the run amok terraformers, and the mutation of both Terran and alien animal and plant life. They already know what's outside the town, and have speculated and theorized over the hows and whys. Unfortunately for us-the viewers, the producers here, as those running Revolution, decided to skip past what would have been more interesting for us to see the show dealing with, in favor of the budget friendly reconstruction phase.

post #246 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Well, to be fair to the characters, they are several years into the ''settling'' period after the end of the war, the run amok terraformers, and the mutation of both Terran and alien animal and plant life. They already know what's outside the town, and have speculated and theorized over the hows and whys. Unfortunately for us-the viewers, the producers here, as those running Revolution, decided to skip past what would have been more interesting for us to see the show dealing with, in favor of the budget friendly reconstruction phase.

However Revolution successfully managed to explain it's premise quite easily and how the world reached it's current point.

Defiance is still assuming that the audience are bothering to hunt down all the sources necessary to explain what, who and why the aliens are doing on this planet. Even Falling Skies bothered to sketch out the premise more successfully in one episode than Defiance has done over four.

I've said it before. If you need to go elsewhere to understand what is happening that's bad writing and Defiance is far too reliant on lazy procedural than expanding it's own universe. Since the show is almost the same as Hell on Wheels except with funny noses and albinos, the writers should start taking more cues from that.

Even that show got out of town now and then or had events taking place elsewhere to give some glimpse of the huge world outside of it's borders. In the case of Defiance I find it hard to believe that after the planet has been turned on its head and aliens and tech are literally dropping out of the skies that there is nothing to show of it. Even if some of the characters have seen it before.
Edited by VisionOn - 5/5/13 at 8:59am
post #247 of 425

^^ Keep in mind this isn't the last city on Earth. In the pilot, Ex Mayor mentioned the Earth Republic, high tech, but souless, or something like that.

While I am trying not to let the existence of an expanded universe get in the way of my feelings about what's being put onscreen, like you, I am frustrated with how small in scope the show's first 4 hours have been in relation to it's concept. If there were no companion game, and the show did exactly the same as it has, would we be as bothered by the lack of detailed world building this early? Or more willing to be patient and let the mysteries unfold at the showrunner's pace?

 

I want more. (channels kid from ATT commercials) ''I want more, I want more, I want more...'' I'm already tired of this pivotal backwater, and want to get out and explore this ''New Earth''.

post #248 of 425
They successfully mashed the opening credits of Battlestar Galactica with the premise of Eureka, and peppered a little aliens into the plot... simmer on a slow heat for as long as people will watch smile.gif
post #249 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

They successfully mashed the opening credits of Battlestar Galactica with the premise of Eureka, and peppered a little aliens into the plot... simmer on a slow heat for as long as people will watch smile.gif

Unfortunately, they haven't done it as well as any of them. tongue.gif
post #250 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

However Revolution successfully managed to explain it's premise quite easily and how the world reached it's current point.

Defiance is still assuming that the audience are bothering to hunt down all the sources necessary to explain what, who and why the aliens are doing on this planet. Even Falling Skies bothered to sketch out the premise more successfully in one episode than Defiance has done over four.

I've said it before. If you need to go elsewhere to understand what is happening that's bad writing and Defiance is far too reliant on lazy procedural than expanding it's own universe. Since the show is almost the same as Hell on Wheels except with funny noses and albinos, the writers should start taking more cues from that.

Even that show got out of town now and then or had events taking place elsewhere to give some glimpse of the huge world outside of it's borders. In the case of Defiance I find it hard to believe that after the planet has been turned on its head and aliens and tech are literally dropping out of the skies that there is nothing to show of it. Even if some of the characters have seen it before.

True but you have to remember this is a show with a game tie in. First of its kind, they want to go outside of the show for the info. As someone said you may not be the target audience.
post #251 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

True but you have to remember this is a show with a game tie in. First of its kind, they want to go outside of the show for the info. As someone said you may not be the target audience.

What happens or is explained in the game should be irrelevant to what happens on screen. Only 1 million people are playing the MMO, far, far less than watching the show. That audience should be the priority. Unless the creators really want to focus only on those who paid $60 for a mediocre video game and will undoubtedly get bored in a year.

And when the game is long gone (as is the case with the majority of MMOs) Defiance will have to stand on its own, otherwise people will look back on this as a novelty. For that not to happen the show needs significantly better storytelling.

Addressing show plot points outside of television is a mistake viewers do not forgive. That was one of the reasons the last season of Lost garnered such bad feeling.
post #252 of 425
If I have to buy and play a game to follow this show then my GAS factor will be going south.
post #253 of 425
Yeah... if I have to go read a comic or play a video game or sign up to a Web site to follow the story... then I'd be gone too. AND I like Web sites, comics, and video games... but I don't like being "required" to do all of that to follow a TV show.

I "defy" them to make me do that wink.gif
post #254 of 425
In spite of the joy in seeing Ms. Benz in a tight shirt, a so-so episode tonite.

[RANT ON]Why one EARTH do casting directors hire children (for flashback characters) who don't look anywhere near what the adult actor looks like?!? mad.gif
Seriously, how tuff is it to get this right?
rolleyes.gif[/RANT OFF]

Anyway, the big thing going into next week will be the mystery of what is down Shaft 7.
post #255 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

In spite of the joy in seeing Ms. Benz in a tight shirt, a so-so episode tonite.

[RANT ON]Why one EARTH do casting directors hire children (for flashback characters) who don't look anywhere near what the adult actor looks like?!? mad.gif
Seriously, how tuff is it to get this right?
rolleyes.gif[/RANT OFF]

Anyway, the big thing going into next week will be the mystery of what is down Shaft 7.

I thought Julie was the Younger sister. Yep I was confused by that also. I had not idea the Mayor was the older sister, very bad casting on that.
post #256 of 425
Defiance just got one hell of a lot better
So when I told the Defiance showrunners to focus on characters instead of CG in last week’s recap? Clearly, they listened. And then went back in time and wrote and filmed “ A Well-Respected Man,” which was one hell of a good episode where every character featured got a moment to really, truly develop. You’re welcome, everybody!

Funny read, Damn he really likes the show.
post #257 of 425
I doubt the game is going anywhere anytime soon. It's an MMO, it will just go free to play like all the rest of them.
post #258 of 425
I could easily watch an hour long show of nothing more than Mia Kirshner running around in her bra. biggrin.gif
post #259 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I could easily watch an hour long show of nothing more than Mia Kirshner running around in her bra. biggrin.gif

You must not have watched 'The L Word'. wink.gif
post #260 of 425
After the first time I saw Atom Egoyan's movie Exotica almost 20 years ago (wow, that makes me feel old) I have never forgotten Mia Kirshner.

Oh yeah, it's a good movie too. wink.gif
post #261 of 425
Watched the current episode this morning and still enjoyed it.
post #262 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

In spite of the joy in seeing Ms. Benz in a tight shirt, a so-so episode tonite.

[RANT ON]Why one EARTH do casting directors hire children (for flashback characters) who don't look anywhere near what the adult actor looks like?!? mad.gif
Seriously, how tuff is it to get this right?
rolleyes.gif[/RANT OFF]

Anyway, the big thing going into next week will be the mystery of what is down Shaft 7.

That doesn't bug me too much... a lot of people don't look the same as adults as they did when they were kids. Some people change quite a bit, depending on the age.
post #263 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

That doesn't bug me too much... a lot of people don't look the same as adults as they did when they were kids. Some people change quite a bit, depending on the age.

But we are owed better TV.
post #264 of 425
Just watched the latest episode tonight. I'm done.

Life is too short (and too many better viewing options) to watch bad sci-fi.
post #265 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I could easily watch an hour long show of nothing more than Mia Kirshner running around in her bra. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

You must not have watched 'The L Word'. wink.gif

No, never watched it. I have seen some nice pics though of her sans that bra. biggrin.gif
post #266 of 425
Renewed for Season 2!

Syfy is booking a longer stay in Defiance.

The sci-fi drama, which is the first TV series to ever launch simultaneously with a video game, was renewed for a second season, Syfy officially announced on Friday.

Production on season two, which will be 13 episodes, is set to begin in Toronto in August, with Syfy looking at a 2014 premiere.



The Grant Bowler and Julie Benz-led action drama debuted on April 15 to the second largest 18-49 demo audience rating in Syfy's history.

"Bringing the rich world of Defiance to life has been an incredible team effort. We couldn't ask for better partners than Kevin Murphy, his amazing cast and crew, and Trion Worlds," Mark Stern, President of Original Content for Syfy and Co-Head of Original Content for UCP, said in statement. "We can't wait to see where they take us in the second season."

Slated to return for season two are showrunner Kevin Murphy and executive producers Darren Swimmer and Todd Slavkin.

*It's official now but rumor since ep1 have said it was all but a given to have season 2 *
13 episodes? Good and Bad I guess. Hope they keep tight concise stories and no fluff.
post #267 of 425
Defiance may be turning into the great scifi series we were promised

Welcome to the episode “The Serpent’s Egg,” or, as I prefer to call it, “The Bad-Mistake Express and the World’s Worst Deputy.” But while my alternate title might be snarky, I have nothing but praise for another strong episode, one that indicates that Defiance may actually live up to Syfy’s — and our — great expectations........

Don't know if I would go that far, still another decent episode.
post #268 of 425
post #269 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Defiance may be turning into the great scifi series we were promised

one that indicates that Defiance may actually live up to Syfy’s — and our — great expectations........

LOL that's funny, I've never seen anyone put 'Syfy' and 'great expectations' in the same sentence.
post #270 of 425
Well so far all episodes have been connected in one way or another. There is the overall Arc of who wants the town 86'd. Now they are adding the other govt factions of the world.
You guys should see some of the goofy contests they have been running.
Best Hell bug pose.


Now Best Bioman pose.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Defiance--New Syfy series and MMO tie in