or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Defiance--New Syfy series and MMO tie in
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Defiance--New Syfy series and MMO tie in - Page 11

post #301 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

Two words: anti and matter tongue.gif

I'm with replaybob on this... Mars does not really seem like a good target world for human colonization. In addition to what he says, there is also the great difficulty on landing there. Since the atmosphere is so thin, parachutes do not provide adequate braking, but since the gravity of Mars is fairly substantial (more than twice that of the moon) it takes a lot of propellant to slow down a large mass.

The world we should REALLY be targeting is Titan, largest moon of Saturn. Dense atmosphere (1.6 times Earth's!), low gravity, and all kinds of hydrocarbon resources (fuel, heating, and water for drinking and disassociating for oxygen). Easy to land there and lots of indigenous supplies. Only problem is its REAL cold. But you could inflate structures with water instead of air, and they would freeze into solid like rock.
post #302 of 425
Are they explaining or flashing back of what happened between the "war" and the show's recent day?

We are at: The ship's arrive, huge ones, next up the Earth's is terraformed, bunch of alien species living here, that's were we are...

So why they left those destroyed vessels in orbit and so many of them that the scavenging job is very profitable of so many falling down from orbit.
post #303 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

it is very mediocre with a capital M. I'll continue to watch as I love sci-fi, and I am somewhat curious about the artifact angle, but this show is not very good, at all.

The fact that the producers feel the need to include lesbian scenes merely serves to highlight just how bad this show is. You can easily envision the conception meeting where some network bigwig said that he just couldn't see this show fully capturing its target male audience, so someone piped up, "I know! Let's include a town brothel!" Clearly, that was all Defiance needed to rise from grade-B to grade-A scifi. rolleyes.gif

Revolution may be terribly written, but at least it isn't so obviously pandering to its key demographic with gratuitous yet obscured eye candy. After all, anyone specifically seeking that content would be watching a premium cable channel (or learning how to use a web browser), since basic cable can't afford to show anything explicit. I wasn't sure I'd ever see anything that would make me appreciate Revolution, yet Defiance is rapidly making NBC's feeble attempt at science fiction look classy in comparison.

Also, was I the only one hoping Nolan would shoot Irisa and spare us from future installments of her tedious side stories? She is easily the most unlikeable character on the show. Rafe may be one dimensional, but at least his universal grumpiness isn't as grating as Irisa's constant whining.
post #304 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Are they explaining or flashing back of what happened between the "war" and the show's recent day?

We are at: The ship's arrive, huge ones, next up the Earth's is terraformed, bunch of alien species living here, that's were we are...

So why they left those destroyed vessels in orbit and so many of them that the scavenging job is very profitable of so many falling down from orbit.

Some but not much. Hell I think they are doing stuff even further back with the Mine found beneath the town.
Next week promises to have more before or during that time.
post #305 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Some but not much. Hell I think they are doing stuff even further back with the Mine found beneath the town.
Next week promises to have more before or during that time.
I assumed the mine was a byproduct of the incomplete alien terraforming procedure?
post #306 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

I assumed the mine was a byproduct of the incomplete alien terraforming procedure?
No they said it was back from the 1800's .Which means we had been visited prior to the Arks showing up. I have no idea how old the Cave paintings are just the miners who died are from about 1800's.
post #307 of 425
"Cut the shtako!" rolleyes.gif

Seriously, if it were me and some alien scum invaded and destroyed my world, I would not give them the satisfaction of ever using one of their words.
post #308 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

"Cut the shtako!" rolleyes.gif

Seriously, if it were me and some alien scum invaded and destroyed my world, I would not give them the satisfaction of ever using one of their words.

Are you calling bullshatko on the writers?
post #309 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post

Are you calling bullshatko on the writers?

Yes, I call bullshtako! biggrin.gif
post #310 of 425
Have any of you watched Continuum on SyFy?
I watch the original Canadian broadcast via ShowCase network and in the last episode (S02E07) Sunday night they said "$hit" four times in the first 15min. I wonder what SyFy does with Continuum when they re-broadcast it? Do they beep out the words, insert silence, overdub "sugar" for $hit maybe?
post #311 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Have any of you watched Continuum on SyFy?
I watch the original Canadian broadcast via ShowCase network and in the last episode (S02E07) Sunday night they said "$hit" four times in the first 15min. I wonder what SyFy does with Continuum when they re-broadcast it? Do they beep out the words, insert silence, overdub "sugar" for $hit maybe?

I think they go ahead and let the $hit hit the fan. wink.gif That's nothing. I'm watching Sundance's 'Top of the Lake' and they're dropping f-bombs all over the place. Doesn't bother me at all but I'm surprised a non-premium cablenet can get away with it. Full frontal nudity too! Who knew?
Edited by archiguy - 6/12/13 at 8:22pm
post #312 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

"Cut the shtako!" rolleyes.gif

Seriously, if it were me and some alien scum invaded and destroyed my world, I would not give them the satisfaction of ever using one of their words.
LOL, yeah, well.....wink.gif
post #313 of 425
Still watching it for the eye candy, lots of Jaime Murray, I like to see the Mia character on one of those outfits Jaime wears.
post #314 of 425
Sorry... I can't help myself biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
CS=ITU601
.
.
CS=ITU601
.
.
CS=ITU601
post #315 of 425
Wow, impressive!
post #316 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Have any of you watched Continuum on SyFy?
I watch the original Canadian broadcast via ShowCase network and in the last episode (S02E07) Sunday night they said "$hit" four times in the first 15min. I wonder what SyFy does with Continuum when they re-broadcast it? Do they beep out the words, insert silence, overdub "sugar" for $hit maybe?
In the game they say $hit, I think maybe they said it once on show. Only reason I can think they dont say it more often is due to its a new alien word.

But consider they basically invaded US and more of that is coming light, screw them!

I loved how Nolan was NOT gentle with the doctor at all. If not for the Plague at the end of the story...
post #317 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post



But consider they basically invaded US and more of that is coming light, screw them!
LOL.

Quote:
I loved how Nolan was NOT gentle with the doctor at all. If not for the Plague at the end of the story...
Agreed.

I like the direction the show is going....at least to the point I am still hanging in there (of course, it could be the babes too).tongue.gif
post #318 of 425
I find it interesting that there are a number of people complaining about the word shtako, but not about the use of the words roller or lawkeeper. What does that say about people's desire to have vulgarity and obscenity in their entertainment? If they complained about all three, I could understand it, but just the one begs the question.
post #319 of 425
I found the use of "lawkeeper" a bit tedious at the beginning of the show, (Is something wrong with the word "sheriff"?) but I'm not sure what "roller" would be a euphemism for. As far as I can tell, rollers are fictional vehicles, so they can be called whatever the writers wish to call them.
post #320 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I find it interesting that there are a number of people complaining about the word shtako, but not about the use of the words roller or lawkeeper. What does that say about people's desire to have vulgarity and obscenity in their entertainment? If they complained about all three, I could understand it, but just the one begs the question.

For the record, I'm not annoyed at it because they aren't swearing. I could care less about that. I'm annoyed that they would feel the need to replace any word with an alien one. It's just dumb.

At least roller and lawkeeper would be human words.
post #321 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post



For the record, I'm not annoyed at it because they aren't swearing. I could care less about that. I'm annoyed that they would feel the need to replace any word with an alien one. It's just dumb.

At least roller and lawkeeper would be human words.

Like it or not, the aliens are now part of the population. I'm sure there are many anti-immigration people in Arizona that use Spanish words because they seem to fit the situation.
post #322 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Sorry... I can't help myself biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
CS=ITU601
.
.
CS=ITU601
.
.
CS=ITU601
i awoke last night to the scene from the 1st pic and thought scifi had just shown nudity-definitely caught my attention.
post #323 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

i awoke last night to the scene from the 1st pic and thought scifi had just shown nudity-definitely caught my attention.

I bet the winner of this season's Face Off in SyFy didn't realize how valuable his apprenticeship on Defiance would be!
post #324 of 425
Surprise character kill... oh well, the Mayor will be sad for a while, also afraid of losing the election

I wonder why didn't anyone asked why the vaccines smell like gasoline...

So ICMBs can fly but other vehicles can't? well at least that explains why it landed "2 clicks" off target
post #325 of 425
This series is slipping into some seriously soapy melodrama and I don't like it.

However, and before I forget...Julie Benz stars in this series!biggrin.gif
post #326 of 425
I just deleted my recorded programs. I just couldn't get into it. Hope ya'll enjoy.
post #327 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

I just deleted my recorded programs. I just couldn't get into it. Hope ya'll enjoy.
Can't blame ya, it's pushing me a bit as well.
post #328 of 425
Once again, I'm in for the eye candy, there was none last episode, Julie Benz bloody sick, Jamie Murray fully clothed, no Mia, etc
post #329 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

I just deleted my recorded programs. I just couldn't get into it. Hope ya'll enjoy.
Ditto here. Too much soap and not enough Sci Fi.
post #330 of 425
Frankly, I'm at a loss trying to figure out what audience the show is aiming at. There's too much soap opera for the typical sci fi audience and too much sci fi for the typical soap opera audience.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Defiance--New Syfy series and MMO tie in