or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Defiance--New Syfy series and MMO tie in
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Defiance--New Syfy series and MMO tie in - Page 13

post #361 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I kind of like the alternate Defiance versions. Songs I'm familiar with are neat... ones I am not familiar with, I become curious after hearing their version.

I happened upon a compilation of songs from Smallville and there was a cover of "Time after Time" that I liked a lot. I also liked the Defiance version.
post #362 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

The last couple have been pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

It does seem to be improving a bit. Or maybe I'm just getting old.
They've improved the content in the last couple of episodes. The last episode was quite entertaining.
What the heck does that artifact do? The Dr's in deep shtako I imagine.....
post #363 of 425
Did we really need that song at the end? I wanted a more clear explanation of what happened to the girl, did she merge the two talismans? are they inside her? is she a super Irathian now?
post #364 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Did we really need that song at the end? I wanted a more clear explanation of what happened to the girl, did she merge the two talismans? are they inside her? is she a super Irathian now?

Maybe that's something to be revealed next week. Or most likely...next season. Next week will be an all musical episode! biggrin.gif
post #365 of 425
Been watching Falling Skies and love it
Do you guys recommend this?
post #366 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

Been watching Falling Skies and love it
Do you guys recommend this?
Why not... give it a shot!
The first episode was decent- and the last three have been decent, it's summer and there's not much new content available anyway.... so why not!

Have you seen "The Walking Dead" series?
post #367 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Why not... give it a shot!
The first episode was decent- and the last three have been decent, it's summer and there's not much new content available anyway.... so why not!

Have you seen "The Walking Dead" series?

yup
my favorite series
waiting for season 4 to start
post #368 of 425
The election campaign posters really caught my eye in this episode. Very early U.S.S.R. style. They did a great job.

Cant find a really good pic, but you get the idea. I want a T-shirt.






post #369 of 425
I thought this new episode was fairly good.

I am very curious exactly what the deal is with Irisa.
BTW, she is getting a little soft around the edges.frown.gif
post #370 of 425
Just finished this week's show. (I had family in town for the holiday so that delayed my viewing by a few days). I really feel like this show is hitting it's stride and really hope it survives for a second season. Unlike many SciFi shows that typically revolve around a male lead, I'd argue this might be the first show dominated primarily by women.

Imo, Datak's wife Stahma is a freakin' awesome character! Ok sure, she's always portrayed as overtly sensual, however something in her eyes always betrays her ulterior motives. Irisa's character seems to be more about her past and what she may become in the future, think 7 of 9 (or even River Tam). Her acting can sometimes seem weak but I'd argue Jeri Ryan was tasked with a very similar role and they both come off stiff. I think it's more a result of the demands of the character. Borg and Irathients aren't exactly races known for Shakespearean prose. Then you have sisters, one a mayor, the other a madam/whore. Then there's the doctor...

After sticking with SGU only for it to be cancelled, witnessing the death of Enterprise and Star Trek in general, and discovering Firefly long after it had been cancelled, I'm willing to accept Defiance if this is as far as television producers are willing to go financially to produce an (alien) science fiction serial. Because the alternative is sci-fi going the way of westerns.
post #371 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

I really feel like this show is hitting it's stride and really hope it survives for a second season.

Your wish was confirmed some months ago. Defiance got renewed for a second season after only a few episodes had aired.
post #372 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

Unlike many SciFi shows that typically revolve around a male lead, I'd argue this might be the first show dominated primarily by women.
Hadn't thought of it from that POV, but I think you may be right.wink.gif

Quote:
I'd argue Jeri Ryan was tasked with a very similar role and they both come off stiff.
Whenever I think of 7 of 9, the word "stiff" also comes to mind.biggrin.gif
post #373 of 425
Irisa is more whiny than stiff, IMO. The wedding episode gave a nice summary of her role in the show: when she's not complaining about how nobody respects her tribal rituals, she's complaining about how everyone else's cultural rituals are stupid. Having an underdeveloped character is one thing, but she's barely even a character. She has a one-dimensional personality.

It would have been better to add Icheb to the regular cast in season 4 of Voyager, rather than Seven. The writers could have used his character to explore identical themes about how to recover one's humanity, without gratuitously sexualising him in ridiculous outfits.
post #374 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post


The writers could have used his character to explore identical themes about how to recover one's humanity, without gratuitously sexualising him in ridiculous outfits.
Yeah, I HATED 7 of 9's sexy outfits....biggrin.gif
post #375 of 425
Season finale just sailed by...
Won't be back until June 2014.

IF I am still kickin' I'll probably pick it up next year.
post #376 of 425
Me too. This show grew on me. Not a great show, but entertaining. We have a few loose ends and will be interested in how they tie them up.
post #377 of 425
Well, that was...confusing. I have no idea what was in Irissa, why it was in her, why there were two of them, what it does and how it defends itself, or anything else about it for that matter. Thought they had the balls to "Ned Stark-i-fy" Nolan, but no. At least he was magically resuscitated quickly, before dain bramage from lack of oxygen set in. rolleyes.gif

Looks like our favorite kid sister prostitute Kenya is history, though. Her loss means the show takes a big eye-candy hit. Mia Kirshner will always be "Super hot naked lesbian assassin Mandy" to me.

Thought "Black John" or whoever the evil Earth Republic guy was could have been made more sinister if they only had given him 'SS" bars on his collar and a German accent... "We haf vays of making you talk!". If he's stupid enough to come walking out in the open firing a sidearm at a guy with an automatic weapon, that's "Darwin Award" stuff there. No wonder ze Nazi's lost.

I guess I'll be back next season. Not terribly enthusiastic about it though. Have no intention of playing the game.

This show is kind of the sci-fi equivalent of Chinese food. Perfect for the Syfy Channel, though.
Edited by archiguy - 7/9/13 at 2:20pm
post #378 of 425
Well this sounds weird, but I thought Irisa's big green eyes when she was pinned to the table were incredibly attractive.

The Dodge "Defiance" commercial with that great song is probably as good or better than the show. That said, Ill be back for more.



edit.
I looked up that song, it's "Freedom" by Anthony Hamilton & Elayna Boynton, and it's on Django Unchained: OST.
Edited by Tack - 7/9/13 at 3:40pm
post #379 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Well this sounds weird, but I thought Irisa's big green eyes when she was pinned to the table were incredibly attractive.

I was bit put off by the shot straight up her nose, though.
post #380 of 425
I thought the ending had a nice dark feeling like they were going for broke in case the show never got picked up. I think they set up next season pretty well.
post #381 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Well, that was...confusing. I have no idea what was in Irissa, why it was in her, why there were two of them, what it does and how it defends itself, or anything else about it for that matter. Thought they had the balls to "Ned Stark-i-fy" Nolan, but no. At least he was magically resuscitated quickly, before dain bramage from lack of oxygen set in. rolleyes.gif

I was thinking the same smile.gif watching him dead, I had a glimmer of hope that SyFy could crawl itself back to its glory days as SciFi & BSG. but then they pulled out the typical TV show save tongue.gif

no worries, SyFy is still SyFy tongue.gif

thingies coming out of Irisa - energy bands? spikes? spidery webs? transformed into...artifacts! rolleyes.gif and jumping off the cliff into ??? so Nolan gets saved. I'm sure it'll all get explained next year wink.gif

still, the episode was good enough to continue into another season. I was beginning to lose interest but they did manage to kill off the sister, oust the mayor & have Tarr get locked up or go on the run. so all hope of a gritty dark dramatic scifi series isn't lost yet. I'll watch next year to see what they do with it.
post #382 of 425
I finally had a light-bulb moment while watching this one... and all the extra time Irisa was on screen... and it smacked me in the face... her whole race/species looks like Joss Whedon's vampires, only without the fangs... it was bugging me until I made the connection.
post #383 of 425
I'm surprised that everyone thinks Kenya is dead. If there's anything I've learned from shows like this, it's that:
  1. If a character receives a seemingly fatal wound and subsequently falls into a body of water, the character is not dead.
  2. If a character receives a dose of seemingly fatal "poison", but the killer isn't shown disposing of the body, the character is not dead.

I bet Stahma just shoved her in a cab with a note saying that if she ever comes back to Defiance, Datak will kill them both, so she has to stay away. Naturally, she won't, but oh well. I didn't think Nolan was dead for even a moment. The show wouldn't work without him, and just a scene earlier, we found out that Irisa's artifacts had magical powers. I was betting on a resurrection (or time travel... Activate the Omega 13, Irisa! biggrin.gif), and the writers didn't disappoint.
post #384 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Mia Kirshner will always be "Super hot naked lesbian assassin Mandy" to me.

My feelings exactly. tongue.gif
post #385 of 425
Yeah maybe Stahma did feel something for Kenya, the poison wasn't fatal, just knocked her out, and sent her away so Datak wouldn't kill her

Nolan must have been dead for 5 mins or so, but "magic" daughter repaired the brain damage with the resurrection also..
post #386 of 425
I thought the final episode was pretty good, all things considered. As for the artifacts, didn't one of the characters (possibly the doctor) explain to Nolan that they were some sort of supreme weapon system, designed by a super advanced race that burried them on earth long before the alien arcs fell from he sky? Thus the true reason why the earth republic wants the mines.

Anyway, I think everyone here figured the canteen stahma tossed to Kenya was poisioned. Thankfully she wasn't stupid enough to drink from it. Quite honestly, I never saw the "poison on the outside of the flask" coming. Clever writing.

I'll be interested to see where they go with this. I figured Datak would win the election but handing the mines over to the republic was never gonna be a good story line so I like the direction the writers took. I didn't think Datak would kill the Earth Rep.General though. Datak's usually a bit more methodical about eliminating his enemies.

And for the record I don't think Kenya is dead. See "Under the Dome" for reference. Imo, Kenya is just locked up in a bomb shelter, Black Snake Moan style, until she can fully appreciate and love Stahma. rolleyes.gif
post #387 of 425
What I am REALLY hoping for next season is Kenya's death places a burden of responsibility on her sister, she retires from politics and takes up her sister's old profession...

Did I mention Julie Benz is in this series???tongue.gif
post #388 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

Anyway, I think everyone here figured the canteen stahma tossed to Kenya was poisioned. Thankfully she wasn't stupid enough to drink from it. Quite honestly, I never saw the "poison on the outside of the flask" coming. Clever writing.

"... The poison was already in the glass ..." Used at least twice on Justified. If yer gonna steal ... wink.gif
post #389 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

What I am REALLY hoping for next season is Kenya's death places a burden of responsibility on her sister, she retires from politics and takes up her sister's old profession...

Did I mention Julie Benz is in this series???tongue.gif

you always seem to think of the baser emotions wink.gif
you live in the id, oink biggrin.gif
post #390 of 425
I'm hoping she really is dead & stays dead. that would make 2 hollywood saves in an episode and that strains credibility wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Defiance--New Syfy series and MMO tie in