or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Best Book shelf speakers under $2000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Book shelf speakers under $2000

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Topic
post #2 of 30
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...oducts_id=145&

Swan Diva 2.1se+ Custom


+

1 of these: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

or

2 of these: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk4.html

or

2 of these: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html

If you can't get a subwoofer then, although these are 1k cheaper than what your looking for, their frequency response claims they play down to 39hz (which is really nice for a bookshelf speaker).

- Kh[a]os
post #3 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Murderousone View Post

Topic

Theres a lot of speakers in this price range, Salk, Dynaudio, Ascend, Focal, Dali, Philharmonic, and the list could literally go on and on. The thing is theres no perfect speaker, but there is a speaker thats perfect for you and your tastes. The only real thing that would allow you to know for sure is to AUDITION, AUDITION, AUDITION!
post #4 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

The only real thing that would allow you to know for sure is to AUDITION, AUDITION, AUDITION!

The only way for me to audition the brands I'm interested in (ID ones) is to buy them all. Which is not an issue if I don't have to pay an extra $1000 shipping.
post #5 of 30
You should have a listen to the B&W CM5's they sound fantastic for such a small speaker. I believe the BB Magnolia stores have them to try out.
post #6 of 30
Dynaudio Excite X12.

(recent review in Stereophile FYI)



Quote:
Originally Posted by The Murderousone View Post

Topic
post #7 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...oducts_id=145&

Swan Diva 2.1se+ Custom


+

1 of these: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

or

2 of these: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk4.html

or

2 of these: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html

If you can't get a subwoofer then, although these are 1k cheaper than what your looking for, their frequency response claims they play down to 39hz (which is really nice for a bookshelf speaker).

- Kh[a]os

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

Theres a lot of speakers in this price range, Salk, Dynaudio, Ascend, Focal, Dali, Philharmonic, and the list could literally go on and on. The thing is theres no perfect speaker, but there is a speaker thats perfect for you and your tastes. The only real thing that would allow you to know for sure is to AUDITION, AUDITION, AUDITION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

The only way for me to audition the brands I'm interested in (ID ones) is to buy them all. Which is not an issue if I don't have to pay an extra $1000 shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowolf View Post

You should have a listen to the B&W CM5's they sound fantastic for such a small speaker. I believe the BB Magnolia stores have them to try out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Dynaudio Excite X12.

(recent review in Stereophile FYI)


Ok thanks alot guys i was asking this for a friend i will let him know...........
post #8 of 30
Hard to say best. I think you have to know the application. If someone told me that they were looking for speakers for low level music and that they wanted something smooth and detailed, I would lean one direction. If the person told me that they are looking for something that can provide the dynamics of reference level HT, I would be looking in another direction. You can get both, but the price point gets steeper.
Reply
Reply
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Hard to say best. I think you have to know the application. If someone told me that they were looking for speakers for low level music and that they wanted something smooth and detailed, I would lean one direction. If the person told me that they are looking for something that can provide the dynamics of reference level HT, I would be looking in another direction. You can get both, but the price point gets steeper.

Mike....a whole lot of grey area in between.
post #10 of 30
I can not speak for the sound - however, the KEF R300 looks interesting
http://www.kefdirect.com/r-300-bookshelf.html
post #11 of 30
Mike, what would your choice for music listening be in this price range (big room, 25' ceiling, no room for floorstanders)?
post #12 of 30
Best $2000 speakers are used $3000 - $4000 speakers.......just saying'. BTW, I dont like saying "just sayin"!

Two considerations (certainly others) for musical bookshelfs to fill a big area, Dynaudio Contour and Harbeth Compact 7ES. Two different speakers that you would need to hear first. Look for "bigger" bookshelf speakers with a 7" mid/woof or larger.

The Dynaudio Excite X12 was mentioned above, but the Excite X16 would be better for your room, 7 inch mid and in budget new. Also, the Excite series is designed to work with more everyday and conventional amps.
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt View Post

Best $2000 speakers are used $3000 - $4000 speakers.......just saying'. BTW, I dont like saying "just sayin"!

Well price has nothing to do with sound quality or performance in this hobby. My good old cheap Newforms would trounce those Wilson Puppies in certain areas. No perfect speakers, just choose the attributes that matches your room and taste.
post #14 of 30
I believe the Fritz Carbons are under $2k and they have sounded great to me every time I have heard them.
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

Well price has nothing to do with sound quality or performance in this hobby. My good old cheap Newforms would trounce those Wilson Puppies in certain areas. No perfect speakers, just choose the attributes that matches your room and taste.

i agree with you 100% but buying used gets you more options especially in geting a chance to listen to more choices example craigslist in my area there are usually some big name speakers for sale although i'm pretty set on my system right now.if there is something i see intresting and close i usually go give a look and listen even if i'm not buying just so i can say i at least heard them in the past 2 weeks i've listened to a pair of magnepan 1.4,apair of phase technology 9.1, apair of vandersteen model 1c and a pair of martin logan aerius. my wife thinks i'm nuts but when you get hooked in this crazy hobby your hooked lol just my 2 cents
post #16 of 30
I agree that used is a great way to access good speakers and amps. As long as you can audition them first.
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Mike, what would your choice for music listening be in this price range (big room, 25' ceiling, no room for floorstanders)?

Depends on listening distance and what SPL you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to achieve reference levels at a greater distance than 8' then in my opinion at this price point (new), I would not look at any speaker with a dome tweeter. If you are planning on staying 10 to 15db below reference and your listening distance is under 15' then for a bookshelf I would look at something like this:
http://www.rbhsound.com/sx661r.php This is making the assumption that a sub is used with the system. There are lots of other choices that meet the above requirements I listed. I am just partial to these bookshelves, having owned RBH 661-SE's for many years. http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...m/IMGP0564.jpg
Reply
Reply
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Mike....a whole lot of grey area in between.

That is because there is not enough information in the original question to answer it, unless you just want to throw names out there.
Reply
Reply
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Depends on listening distance and what SPL you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to achieve reference levels at a greater distance than 8' then in my opinion at this price point (new), I would not look at any speaker with a dome tweeter. If you are planning on staying 10 to 15db below reference and your listening distance is under 15' then for a bookshelf I would look at something like this:
http://www.rbhsound.com/sx661r.php This is making the assumption that a sub is used with the system. There are lots of other choices that meet the above requirements I listed. I am just partial to these bookshelves, having owned RBH 661-SE's for many years. http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...m/IMGP0564.jpg

Thanks. Listening distance is variable, this is the main living area of our house - sometimes on the deck with doors open, sometimes in kitchen, sometimes outside at goldfish pond (this isn't my serious 2 channel setup, but rather a convenience). No reference levels inside, but when outside my amp gets its workout. I was just curious, I have Polk LSi9 now which does the job semi-well. This is a very difficult space for any speaker - awkward placement options (they are mounted at about 8ft and angled downward), high ceilings, floor to ceiling glass at one end (with window quilts). I'm convinced there is no way of gaining accurate sound, but this hasn't stopped me from at least achieving good sound.
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Thanks. Listening distance is variable, this is the main living area of our house - sometimes on the deck with doors open, sometimes in kitchen, sometimes outside at goldfish pond (this isn't my serious 2 channel setup, but rather a convenience). No reference levels inside, but when outside my amp gets its workout. I was just curious, I have Polk LSi9 now which does the job semi-well. This is a very difficult space for any speaker - awkward placement options (they are mounted at about 8ft and angled downward), high ceilings, floor to ceiling glass at one end (with window quilts). I'm convinced there is no way of gaining accurate sound, but this hasn't stopped me from at least achieving good sound.

The speaker that I linked to is in a similar room. 32.5' long, 17' high ceiling. Over 12,000 CF. Lots of glass (400 SF). An exterior door opens up creating 8' x 8' opening to the screened in porch. Tough room, but it stills achieves nice sound. If we can help you, give us a call.
Reply
Reply
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

That is because there is not enough information in the original question to answer it, unless you just want to throw names out there.

Mike...you and I have had this discussion before. Your reply was "gray".

What is "low level music" as you call it? Average SPL?
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The speaker that I linked to is in a similar room. 32.5' long, 17' high ceiling. Over 12,000 CF. Lots of glass (400 SF). An exterior door opens up creating 8' x 8' opening to the screened in porch. Tough room, but it stills achieves nice sound. If we can help you, give us a call.

Yes, but that room has been treated with Legos

Thank you sir, this is very good information and certainly a speaker to consider. I do wish manufacturers provided technical measurements. I have performed searches here and elsewhere, these are well regarded.
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Mike...you and I have had this discussion before. Your reply was "gray".

What is "low level music" as you call it? Average SPL?

I followed it up in another post in this thread (not in response to you). If a person is looking for a speaker for 10 to 15db below reference peaks at a distance of 15' or less, there are several good speakers that meet those requirements. I suggested an RBH SX-661R. I admitted that I am partial to RBH speakers. I have listened to and owned several of them since the 90's. Here is one of my RBH speakers: http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...m/IMGP0564.jpg If a person is looking for a speaker that can do reference from 8' or more, then that changes my list of speakers that I would consider.
Reply
Reply
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I followed it up in another post in this thread (not in response to you). If a person is looking for a speaker for 10 to 15db below reference peaks at a distance of 15' or less, there are several good speakers that meet those requirements. I suggested an RBH SX-661R. I admitted that I am partial to RBH speakers. I have listened to and owned several of them since the 90's. Here is one of my RBH speakers: http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...m/IMGP0564.jpg If a person is looking for a speaker that can do reference from 8' or more, then that changes my list of speakers that I would consider.

Thanks Mike!
post #25 of 30
Check out www.orbaudio.com

Just took the plunge after really studying their website and claims and wow, I am blown away.

Everything they say and claim is true and accurate.

I have the Mod2 system linked up to an Onkyo TX-NR 906 and can only say I am very very satisfied and happy.
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Yes, but that room has been treated with Legos

Thank you sir, this is very good information and certainly a speaker to consider. I do wish manufacturers provided technical measurements. I have performed searches here and elsewhere, these are well regarded.

Yes, rather than build a diffusion panel and mount it on the wall, I have my kids scatter large plastic legos on the floor. That is actually an old pic. My son (owner of the legos at the time) is now 12. These days it is traveling soccer and traveling basketball. Being from Ky. you know we like basketball. Had four teams in the tourney and have two of them meeting in the final four.

RBH speakers are well regarded, but there are a lot of people that are not familiar with this brand. Back in the 90's when I built my family room HT, I was looking for in-wall speakers that were designed with an enclosure, not just a back box tacked onto an open baffle design. RBH was about the only company that made such an animal at that time. I ended up using these: http://www.rbhsound.com/si760.php I would not recommend these for a retrofit, but they are great for new construction.
Reply
Reply
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolliss View Post

Just took the plunge after really studying their website and claims and wow, I am blown away. Everything they say and claim is true and accurate.

You mean this? "Big sound, small speakers -- fill your room with sound, not boxes"

My question would be how accurate those speakers are in respect to measurements not how loud they go.
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolliss View Post

Check out www.orbaudio.com
Just took the plunge after really studying their website and claims and wow, I am blown away.
I have the Mod2 system linked up to an Onkyo TX-NR 906 and can only say I am very very satisfied and happy.

Continue to have fun, and enjoy.
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post


Depends on listening distance and what SPL you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to achieve reference levels at a greater distance than 8' then in my opinion at this price point (new), I would not look at any speaker with a dome tweeter. If you are planning on staying 10 to 15db below reference and your listening distance is under 15' then for a bookshelf I would look at something like this:
http://www.rbhsound.com/sx661r.php This is making the assumption that a sub is used with the system. There are lots of other choices that meet the above requirements I listed. I am just partial to these bookshelves, having owned RBH 661-SE's for many years. http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...m/IMGP0564.jpg

Those are some gorgeous speakers. Thought of using those Legos to build a stand? Your kids might like it
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

i agree with you 100% but buying used gets you more options........

Well stated, it is not the price, more so the limitations of not looking at used.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Best Book shelf speakers under $2000