or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › HBO Go Terrible Picture Quality Plus Out of Sync
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HBO Go Terrible Picture Quality Plus Out of Sync

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
Tried out the HBO Go app the other night and I found the picture to be incredibly washed out. I don't want to recalibrate just for video. Also, the audio was way out of sync. The show was Life's Too Short episode 3 and I went to my iPad right after and the picture quality was better and the sync was perfect. I'm shocked that I haven't been hearing more about this. What is everyone else's opinions? I was looking forward to watching Game of Thrones this Sunday because my Tivo is OTA only and I won't be home when it airs. Now I'm not so sure.
post #2 of 34
Did you try pausing or rewinding and seeing if the audio synced after that? Also, you should get a cable card for your Tivo, it should only be about $2/month.
post #3 of 34
Thread Starter 
Tried pausing, rewinding, stopping and restarting. Nothing fixed the sync and it still looked like gray hot butt.
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

Tried out the HBO Go app the other night and I found the picture to be incredibly washed out. I don't want to recalibrate just for video. Also, the audio was way out of sync. The show was Life's Too Short episode 3 and I went to my iPad right after and the picture quality was better and the sync was perfect. I'm shocked that I haven't been hearing more about this. What is everyone else's opinions? I was looking forward to watching Game of Thrones this Sunday because my Tivo is OTA only and I won't be home when it airs. Now I'm not so sure.

I noticed the same thing. The PQ was washed out and black-levels were poor. It's a shame because there is a lot of good content there. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.
post #5 of 34
Had similiar issues. Not too different from netflix though.
post #6 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by htskinner View Post

Had similiar issues. Not too different from netflix though.

For me it's absolutely night and day between Netflix.
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

I noticed the same thing. The PQ was washed out and black-levels were poor. It's a shame because there is a lot of good content there. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

I haven't noticed these issues but I actually was wondering if the hbo app came out updated to that black level bug or if it was going to need an update like all the other ones.
post #8 of 34
I have the same issues. It looks washed out and the sync is off. Sometimes its not to bad but there a few times where it seems a second off. Hopefully this gets resolved soon.
post #9 of 34
Just downloaded and installed the app. Movies are playing great in 1080p. Voice and video are synced up fine. Plays just as good as my iPad. 360 is hard wired to netgear 4100. Fios is my Internet provider, and I am using a 65" Panasonic plasma via hdmi. The latter info is for troubleshooting.
post #10 of 34
HBOGO plays aqwesome for me, I have dish and a samsung pnd8000 - I like watching HBO GO better than netflix or any streaming channel. Quality is almost as good as blu ray, and no audio sync problems at all. Truely , watching HBO GO is a very pleasureable experience for me and my family.


god bless
post #11 of 34
I have FiOS and HBO GO gives me a very washed out picture as well. Sound sync is fine though, but the LFE channel is definitely missing. LFE is faint but there on Media Center, but definitely missing on HBO GO. Bummer. Motorola 7100-P2 set top gives a far better picture and sound on my 7.2 audio and sony projector system through my Pioneer AVR via HDMI.
post #12 of 34
So I decided to check the display settings on the Xbox and put the black levels on standard and I put my tv on my user settings versus the game settings and the washed out picture is gone. Picture is much better now. As for the audio sync its still slightly off.

I have a pioneer 5010fd
post #13 of 34
Is anyone else missing the LFE channel?
post #14 of 34
don't have the audio sync issues but definitely have the washed out video.
post #15 of 34
For those having a washed out image, go to the system settings on the Xbox, Console Setttings, Display, Reference Settings, then Reference Levels. Once there, choose either Intermediate or Expanded. (Whichever looks best to you.)

The audio being ahead of the video is very annoying though. It seems to drift back and forth where it will be slight and then become more exaggerated.

I have seen the sync issue on my Xbox 360 S on my Panasonic AE-4000 as well as my Xbox Elite on my 65" Panasonic VT30. So different console revisions, different AVRs, and different displays.

I hope they fix the sync issue soon. Also, the 360 has always been a disaster when it comes to color space and reference levels.

Both 360s are hard wired on a gigabit LAN, connected to a Linksys E4200 router on a 25Mbps connection. Never had any sync issues with Netflix on either PS3, either Xbox, phone, iPad, computer, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachurch View Post

I have FiOS and HBO GO gives me a very washed out picture as well. Sound sync is fine though, but the LFE channel is definitely missing. LFE is faint but there on Media Center, but definitely missing on HBO GO. Bummer. Motorola 7100-P2 set top gives a far better picture and sound on my 7.2 audio and sony projector system through my Pioneer AVR via HDMI.

Even though the 360 is outputting a AC-3 signal, it is just two channel Dolby Digital. No center, surrounds or LFE.
post #16 of 34
Thread Starter 
I watched the premiere of Game of Thrones season 2 and the audio seemed to be within a few milliseconds. It was a big improvement from Life's Too Short. The picture was still incredible washed out. I am already on expanded colorspace, but I will try intermediate tonight. If it affects my games too, I will say no thanks.
post #17 of 34
Anyone know when Time Warner cable might be offered? Can't believe it is not being one of the largest cable companies in the country.

Also, I am shocked to see HBO's Late Night offering on here, that has soft core, very graphic, porn. Especially with the Xbox geared towards young kids. Can't believe they kept that on there.
post #18 of 34
Time Warner still doesn't allow us to use ESPN3, so I wouldn't hold your breath on HBO-GO.
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Anyone know when Time Warner cable might be offered? Can't believe it is not being one of the largest cable companies in the country.

Also, I am shocked to see HBO's Late Night offering on here, that has soft core, very graphic, porn. Especially with the Xbox geared towards young kids. Can't believe they kept that on there.

That is controlled by your HBO account.
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachurch View Post

Is anyone else missing the LFE channel?

I found it missing on some of the older stuff but it was definitely there on newer movies and shows (bridesmaids and game of thrones season 2 both had lfe... my shakers activated and they will only activate when an lfe track is present)
post #21 of 34
Mine looks like dudu as well. Like standard def stuff on netflix but worse.
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar View Post

I found it missing on some of the older stuff but it was definitely there on newer movies and shows (bridesmaids and game of thrones season 2 both had lfe... my shakers activated and they will only activate when and lfe track is present)

Thanks for the info and examples. I will check them. I use my shakers to know for certain also! I did try the first episode of Game of Thrones on Xbox, and had no shake. They shook on the HBOGO web site through my HTPC, so it must be something with the Xbox not passing LFE on my system.
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Anyone know when Time Warner cable might be offered? Can't believe it is not being one of the largest cable companies in the country.

Also, I am shocked to see HBO's Late Night offering on here, that has soft core, very graphic, porn. Especially with the Xbox geared towards young kids. Can't believe they kept that on there.

There are parental controls on the Xbox for a reason. The Xbox is not geared toward kids, but they do have controls for interested parents.
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

There are parental controls on the Xbox for a reason. The Xbox is not geared toward kids, but they do have controls for interested parents.

The Xbox parental controls will not limit HBO Go, as I mentioned earlier, you have to control that from your HBO account.
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post

The Xbox parental controls will not limit HBO Go, as I mentioned earlier, you have to control that from your HBO account.

Yes, the Xbox parental controls can limit HBO Go. You can set the hours that the Xbox can be used, on a gamertag basis. You can set the time that the Xbox can connect to Xbox Live. And if the video or game is properly tag with content ratings, you can block that content.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billin...rental-control
post #26 of 34
If I set the Xbox to intermediate or expanded it does fix the black level in HBOGO but it completely screws up the black level in all my other apps. Like Netflix and Zune. So frustrating.
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post

Even though the 360 is outputting a AC-3 signal, it is just two channel Dolby Digital. No center, surrounds or LFE.

After further testing, I agree I'm not getting an LFE in the HBO Go app on Xbox, even though it's there on Media Center Extender with the same shows.

Washed out picture and low quality sound, I guess they don't expect the Xbox to be hooked up to HDTVs and decent sound systems. That sucks. Hopefully the PS3 or ATV versions will be better...
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Yes, the Xbox parental controls can limit HBO Go. You can set the hours that the Xbox can be used, on a gamertag basis. You can set the time that the Xbox can connect to Xbox Live. And if the video or game is properly tag with content ratings, you can block that content.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billin...rental-control

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...ng-2012-142730

Again
Quote:


At the point, you're informed about parental controls--which are account- and not device-specific, and must be set at hbogo.com, making this service's use for my children more ponderous--and you're free to actually use the service.
post #29 of 34
There's a 10MB update but still out of sync audio.
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...ng-2012-142730

Again

Yes, there are account specific parental controls through HBO Go.

But the Xbox settings supercede everything. If you set your Xbox to disable access to Xbox Live, there is no setting in HBO Go that will bypass that. You will not be able to access the network at all. This is equivalent to cutting the wire to your Xbox and taking your Xbox offline. That is parental control.

If you set your Xbox to not work between 10PM and 5PM, there is no HBO Go setting that will bypass that. It's not very granular but it's very powerful.

Now, if these late night HBO Go shows can be seen any time of the day, then the Xbox controls don't do much unless the metadata has been tagged with content ratings. But if these shows can only be seen at certain hours of the day, then you have full control.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › HBO Go Terrible Picture Quality Plus Out of Sync