or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Replacing 8Ohm 8W speakers on Plasma TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Replacing 8Ohm 8W speakers on Plasma TV

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Hi, recently one of the speakers on my 42" Plasma stopped working. I'm looking to replace the speaker with anything I've got. The speaker specs are:

Output Resistance : 8Ohms
Power Consumption : 8W

I read online that I should replace it with same 8Ohm impedence, however I'm not sure about the Watts. I found some 8 ohm speakers lying around, but the watts are way more, like 60 - 100W.

My only concern is not wanting to damage the TV's amp. Can I use these speakers ? Or do I need to find exactly 8W or less speakers ?

Thanks
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni50 View Post

Hi, recently one of the speakers on my 42" Plasma stopped working. I'm looking to replace the speaker with anything I've got. The speaker specs are:

Output Resistance : 8Ohms
Power Consumption : 8W

I read online that I should replace it with same 8Ohm impedence, however I'm not sure about the Watts. I found some 8 ohm speakers lying around, but the watts are way more, like 60 - 100W.

My only concern is not wanting to damage the TV's amp. Can I use these speakers ? Or do I need to find exactly 8W or less speakers ?

Thanks

I recommend you to get a sound bar,sound like you like to push then too loud,many tv speakers tends to distord at high volumes.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your reply losservatore, I don't normally have my TV volume very high at all. I just need to replace the faulty speakers with another set that I have, don't need to output 100W, just want to know if it will do any damage to my TV's amp.
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni50 View Post

Thanks for your reply losservatore, I don't normally have my TV volume very high at all. I just need to replace the faulty speakers with another set that I have, don't need to output 100W, just want to know if it will do any damage to my TV's amp.

if they stopped working,you need to check if is not a faulty sound board,test it with one of the speaker that you have to see.what brand is the tv? you can get original replacement speakers from the brand or ebay.like that you dont have to make modifications or break anything to your tv.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
The brand is TCL, it's got detachable side mounted speakers. I tested the output with the other working speaker and it's fine. So I'm guessing it's a faulty speaker.
The model is quite a few years old so I'm content with using what speakers I can find for the moment.
post #6 of 8
Can you measure the diameter of the woofer frame, and count the number of screws used to mount it?
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Found spare 8Ohm 50W speakers from an old stereo. Plugged it in and works fine for now. The sound from the new speakers are a bit louder on the same volume compared to the original speakers so I'll have to be careful not to turn the volume up too high.
Thanks you all for your replies.
post #8 of 8
Why don't you disconnect both of the original speakers and run wires out to a pair of small external speakers; you would improve the sound a lot.

You can buy the Sony SSB-1000 speakers for $44 on Amazon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni50 View Post

Found spare 8Ohm 50W speakers from an old stereo. Plugged it in and works fine for now. The sound from the new speakers are a bit louder on the same volume compared to the original speakers so I'll have to be careful not to turn the volume up too high.
Thanks you all for your replies.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Replacing 8Ohm 8W speakers on Plasma TV