or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo New AVR's TX-NR818,717,616 official Discussion [No Price Talk]Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo New AVR's TX-NR818,717,616 official Discussion [No Price Talk]Thread - Page 37

post #1081 of 1105
Hii everyone,

I got my receiver (NR616) back today after the mainboard had some kind of malfunction (probably heat related?). Now I'm asking myself the question how I can best reduce the heat problem?

Is there a difference between standby and turning the receiver off? When I'm done watching a movie I usually press the orange button (named receiver) on the top left corner of the remote. After doing so, is the receiver in standby or shut off? What's the difference?

And I have a second question:

Before sending in my TN616 I wrote down all the settings I had for the speakers (Hz, dB, etc.). I never used Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

Now after getting it back I recallibrated the speakers with the microphone and got different numbers (Hz, dB, etc.). Additionally during initial setup, I decided to activate Audyssey Dynamic EQ. HOWEVER I now went back and changed the speaker settings to the old numbers (Hz, dB) that I had before sending in the receiver. Is the Dynamic EQ now out of sync because I changed the settings after calibration or is Dynamic EQ independent of the calibration process?
post #1082 of 1105
I had flashing green pixels on small parts of the screen when changing inputs, luckily it started only a few days after buying my 616. Took it back and am happy now with the NR626 so far.
post #1083 of 1105
I'm sure this may have been covered somewhere in here, but I am still looking through the thread. I have a 616, and everything seemed fine for a while (2 months). Then I started having the audio and video drop out for a few seconds and come back on. I called Onkyo, and they told me it was because of my 35' HDMI cable to the projector. He suggested a signal conditioner or booster. I tried one from Radio Shack, but it wasn't compatable with my Epson (I guess - no picture whatsoever). I'm hesitant to buy anything online without having an idea as to whether or not it will work. Anyone have luck with this?

Side note: toward the end of the conversation, he reminded me to do the latest update which can only be done with a USB. I asked what this update was supposed to fix, and he mentioned video cutout. I did the update, and so far, no video cutout. It was only intermittant when it did it before, so I'm not sure if it's just a matter of time before it does it again or not. My HDMI is run through the ceiling, though I did run it in PVC pipe so I can replace it if necessary, but would rather not; again since I don't know that will solve the problem.

Thanks!!
post #1084 of 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Driver View Post

I'm sure this may have been covered somewhere in here, but I am still looking through the thread. I have a 616, and everything seemed fine for a while (2 months). Then I started having the audio and video drop out for a few seconds and come back on. I called Onkyo, and they told me it was because of my 35' HDMI cable to the projector. He suggested a signal conditioner or booster. I tried one from Radio Shack, but it wasn't compatable with my Epson (I guess - no picture whatsoever). I'm hesitant to buy anything online without having an idea as to whether or not it will work. Anyone have luck with this?

Side note: toward the end of the conversation, he reminded me to do the latest update which can only be done with a USB. I asked what this update was supposed to fix, and he mentioned video cutout. I did the update, and so far, no video cutout. It was only intermittant when it did it before, so I'm not sure if it's just a matter of time before it does it again or not. My HDMI is run through the ceiling, though I did run it in PVC pipe so I can replace it if necessary, but would rather not; again since I don't know that will solve the problem.

Thanks!!

The 616, at least with the original firmware, had horrid HDMI performance. From all I have heard lately, most of the 2012 models have had their issues sorted out by now.

That's typical of Onkyo over the past 4 years or so. New models with buggy firmware. The HT-RC180, 708, and the 616 were three models that shipped with particularly buggy firmware that I have dealt with. The 708 had network issues, and the 616 had HDMI problems. The 626 I purchased recently was pretty much trouble-free.

As the model year progresses, the updates fix issues and by the end of the model year - or even some time into the next model year, the receivers get really solid as nearly all of the issues are fixed.
post #1085 of 1105
Thanks for the reply!
post #1086 of 1105
What's the quickest method to switch from 7.2 to Zone 2?

I just picked up an NR616, I setup my theatre as 7.1 and hooked a pair of outdoor speakers to Zone 2. Best I can tell thus far I have to go through to speaker setup menu to switch "on" the Zone 2 speakers.

Is this accurate, or am I missing a shortcut of sorts?

Thanks!
post #1087 of 1105
So what's the concensus on the NR-616?

I've found a good deal on one but there seems to be a fair amount of issues with this receiver. Some places say that the firmware updates have cleared up most of this issues but other places say otherwise.

Should I go for it or is it not worth the risk of running into problems.

Thanks.
post #1088 of 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felchy View Post

So what's the concensus on the NR-616?

I've found a good deal on one but there seems to be a fair amount of issues with this receiver. Some places say that the firmware updates have cleared up most of this issues but other places say otherwise.

Should I go for it or is it not worth the risk of running into problems.

Thanks.

I bought my 616 5 months ago and had nothing but issues with the HDMI switching. When I change inputs the screen is just black. The work around was to reboot the receiver.

I took it into the shop a week ago and hooked up my old 606. The old one sounds so much better! (richer/fuller and I don't have to turn it up to 40-50 to hear it. (30 is LOUD on the 606) When I get my 616 back.. I might not bother hooking it back up actually.

I was a huge supporter of Onkyo but I've got to face the facts... they just don't make them like they used to. Quality control is SEVERALLY lacking. Yes.. you get a lot of bang for the buck...but at the cost of reliability?? No thanks. I'm done with Onkyo sadly.

(pioneer is supposed to be good.. .right?)
post #1089 of 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post

(pioneer is supposed to be good.. .right?)
Perhaps you should ask that question in one of the Pioneer topics!?
post #1090 of 1105
I have a projector set as the main output and a TV set to the sub out. Is there a way to interchange the inputs simultaneously? I.E have the projector display input 1 and the TV display input 2. How would the audio source be selected in this scenario (assuming something like this is possible)?
post #1091 of 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felchy View Post

So what's the concensus on the NR-616?

I've found a good deal on one but there seems to be a fair amount of issues with this receiver. Some places say that the firmware updates have cleared up most of this issues but other places say otherwise.

Should I go for it or is it not worth the risk of running into problems.

Thanks.

Well I ended up getting one as I couldn't pass up the deal and so far I have no issues to report. Everything has been working well.
post #1092 of 1105
Purchased a TX-NR616 because of the amazing number of features at the price point (due to all the early issues). Performed the firmware update out of the box and so far not a single issue. My only complaint over my old onkyo is the ability to permanently change the display to what audio is being output. This was a nice feature that only comes on 717 and above but it's not a deal breaker.
post #1093 of 1105
I am new to this forum and new to a complete avr. I purchased the tx-nr616 and for it up and running. I was just wondering if someone can give me some set up guidance for speaker settings. there is a lot of level calibration and settings that I played with, but can use some more advice.
I have Polk in wall rc85i in front. Polk tl1 center channel. Polk round rc80i in ceiling rear and a bic america down firing 10" sub. I used the audessey set up. then I downloaded a sound meter app and did the level calibration for each speaker and set to 80db. crossovers were set to 80hz front and rear and 100hz center. anything else I should play with? am I using DTS? or just all channel Dolby digital? does the eq set up my listening mode based on audessey?
post #1094 of 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by delpyd21 View Post

I am new to this forum and new to a complete avr. I purchased the tx-nr616 and for it up and running. I was just wondering if someone can give me some set up guidance for speaker settings. there is a lot of level calibration and settings that I played with, but can use some more advice.
I have Polk in wall rc85i in front. Polk tl1 center channel. Polk round rc80i in ceiling rear and a bic america down firing 10" sub. I used the audessey set up. then I downloaded a sound meter app and did the level calibration for each speaker and set to 80db. crossovers were set to 80hz front and rear and 100hz center. anything else I should play with? am I using DTS? or just all channel Dolby digital? does the eq set up my listening mode based on audessey?

It's really what-ever sounds good to you.

 

However, I might suggest you at least try once ... a straight Audyssey calibration (with mic on tripod). Then, just bump the Center up a couple of notches. It should do cross-overs, level, distance ... everything. See how that sounds.

 

If that's not good, start tweaking from there. If it thinks the speakers are full-range (but maybe you don't like them handling all that bass) ... ya, set the cross-over to 60-80 and let that get directed to the sub.

 

For each input, you can set how each Sound Mode handles each audio format. I tend to decode DTS as DTS, etc. For two channel formats, I usually matrix those up to something better (or even All-Channel-Stereo).

 

The display should show the Input format detected as well as the currently selected Sound Mode.

post #1095 of 1105
thanks for reply. with my speakers, I heard people saying I should set them to small size. is that correct, even with the 8" woofers. I guess in theory set them as small and audessey will set crossover to around80-100hz and let the Sub take care of low hz ?
post #1096 of 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by delpyd21 View Post

thanks for reply. with my speakers, I heard people saying I should set them to small size. is that correct, even with the 8" woofers. I guess in theory set them as small and audessey will set crossover to around80-100hz and let the Sub take care of low hz ?

I guess you could, but if they are large and you are setting the cross-over that high around 100, seems like you would be under-utilizing them. If they are in-wall, maybe people think they are weak are something.

 

I wouldn't drift to far away from what Audyssey says. If sets them at Full, and you like to play them loud (and they get over driven) maybe try 60 or 70. The Main Front Left and Right play music (even in movies). If they are capable of Full-Range, seems like you should let them do it (or maybe redirect just a bit of low bass and set to 60 or 70). If it sets them much higher than 90, you might want to check your wires or get new speakers.

 

I used to have older speakers. Some pairs were cheap and Audyssey could tell it. It would default them to 80.

 

With my new Polks, they are set Full, 60 or 70. It's a new experience having all that rich sound coming at you from the front ... pretty cool actually, especially from the Center.

 

You mention Small and Large. I've seen it on older Amps, but my 607 (or my brother's 609) doesn't ask that. I don't see it in 616 manual either. Audyssey takes care of all that now.

post #1097 of 1105
OK thanks. and also all of my listening mode presets are set as last valid. do they need adjustments? I only have my cable box currently hooked up with HDMI. no blue ray yet, but all listening mode presets for cab/sat are set to last valid. should I play with these or did audessey set them for me
post #1098 of 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by delpyd21 View Post

OK thanks. and also all of my listening mode presets are set as last valid. do they need adjustments? I only have my cable box currently hooked up with HDMI. no blue ray yet, but all listening mode presets for cab/sat are set to last valid. should I play with these or did audessey set them for me

No, you set those yourself.

 

I like to set DTS as DTS, Dolby-True-HD as Dolby-True-HD, etc. If there is a real bitsteamed 5.1 or better track there, I want to hear it un-changed.

 

Last Valid uses whatever you might have stopped on when cycling through the Modes with Movie and/or Music buttons. Be sure to read manual.

post #1099 of 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

No, you set those yourself.

I like to set DTS as DTS, Dolby-True-HD as Dolby-True-HD, etc. If there is a real bitsteamed 5.1 or better track there, I want to hear it un-changed.

Last Valid uses whatever you might have stopped on when cycling through the Modes with Movie and/or Music buttons. Be sure to read manual.
For anyone who wants "to hear the sound unchanged". I suggest they select the 'Direct' audio option (and do the same with the video)!


Cheers
post #1100 of 1105

On these models (and I suppose similar new models) looks like Onkyo has removed the "Portable" Stereo 1/8" jack from the front. This was an easy way to connect MP3 players to the unit (using analog jack meant for headphones).

 

How do you guys do it now?

post #1101 of 1105
They make 1/8" to RCA converter cables which I have used before.
post #1102 of 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

They make 1/8" to RCA converter cables which I have used before.

To an Input on the back, right? (which is fine)

 

However, I thought the MP3 player output was amplified where-as the analog Inputs were looking for a Line-Level Input. Wouldn't the MP3 player cause the Amp to go into Input Over-Load? I thought the Portable jack was special and accounted for that.

post #1103 of 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
 

To an Input on the back, right? (which is fine)

 

However, I thought the MP3 player output was amplified where-as the analog Inputs were looking for a Line-Level Input. Wouldn't the MP3 player cause the Amp to go into Input Over-Load? I thought the Portable jack was special and accounted for that.

Correct, input on the back.  I don't think there is any level difference as these types or cables are used for this purpose all the time. 

post #1104 of 1105
I installed the latest firmware on my 616, (came out last October I think) update on Saturday and it made a nice improvement. Seems to have fixed an hdmi port which had some intermittent issues and now it seems like the hd audio from my boxee box is working without the usual audio dropouts (when using source direct).
post #1105 of 1105
I just got this receiver a month or so ago and replace a TX-SR616. Is there a way to force the output resolution to 720p (I have a long HDMI run and sometimes have handshake issues due to that). ALso I notice a humming sound coming from the speakers. The volume is set to 50%.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo New AVR's TX-NR818,717,616 official Discussion [No Price Talk]Thread