or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 66

post #1951 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Why don't you just ask Amazon to price-match Paul's. You will get the best of all possibilities listed. Paul's is on Amazon's match list. They matched Paul's price when I got my 60GT50

Thanks, I'll do that.
post #1952 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post

I just saw your post in the Vt50 deals thread. It didn't take you long to decide LOL! That is a great price. Going down 5 inches isn't going to bother you at all? I wish I could make up my mind, I've had it in my cart for a fews days now waiting for the price to go back up so I can stop thinking about it. Now it's getting cheaper!biggrin.gif

I hear ya!

The size was hard to get around but it just means that there's a 60" or 65" in my future when one of the other tv's dies. biggrin.gif
post #1953 of 9713
Just gotmy 55gt50 on Tuesday from amazon through pilot.The delivery guys opened it ,switched it on and I was able to connect my cable to make sure everything g works!.

There is no buzzing when watching programs( seated 8 ft away)the picture quality from my Cale (AT&T ) DVR is not so good.the DVR outputs 1080i or 720p.i am watching at 1080i now.THX cinema is too dark and ThX bright room looks washed away.
Netflix looked amazing:)))

Any suggestions for other picture setting tweaks and /or cable box settings are most welcome?

BTW,the sound from the TV itself is amazing ..at 46 it really was very agreeable.

Cheers:D
post #1954 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBecker View Post

Ok - 55GT50 was delivered and HECK YES this is a great tv. Running it in THX Cinema mode, no other modes or changes, and this is really nice. Hooked it up to a new Panasonic DMP-BDT500, watched much of Hugo in 3D for the first experience with the TV. Multichannel sound outputting to my Pioneer Elite 59TXI and Energy Veritas 7.1 system.... completely happy with the whole setup. Watching/listening to a STANDARD DVD concert disk, "An Evening with Fourplay" (a favorite Jazz group), and the video looks just wonderful, amazing colors, very nice. Sound is great...


Dish HD looks great on the GT as well. Switching to AT&T Uverse next week - saving a bundle, but concerned about the video quality - guess I'll find out Tuesday.


The BDT500 and 55GT50 play very nice together. Just need to get my Harmony One sorted out - not much of a database for the GT and the BDT500 yet. Made some very wrong guesses on activities and codes. Oh well, maybe later.


The HDMI cables sticking out of the side DO look kind of nasty. Will need to check the adapters out.


Larry

Hello
Did you get AT&T?how is the cable program quality?
I have AT&T now and some had channels totally suck,like cnbc ..CNN seems to be ok..but still am not satisfied with the picture quality..

Cheers:)
post #1955 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidya46 View Post

Just gotmy 55gt50 on Tuesday from amazon through pilot.The delivery guys opened it ,switched it on and I was able to connect my cable to make sure everything g works!.
There is no buzzing when watching programs( seated 8 ft away)the picture quality from my Cale (AT&T ) DVR is not so good.the DVR outputs 1080i or 720p.i am watching at 1080i now.THX cinema is too dark and ThX bright room looks washed away.
Netflix looked amazing:)))
Any suggestions for other picture setting tweaks and /or cable box settings are most welcome?
BTW,the sound from the TV itself is amazing ..at 46 it really was very agreeable.
Cheers:D

For Movies at night I prefer THX Cinema, but for sports and some shows i do like the picture a bit brighter. So at first i used Custom because i too thought THX Brightroom was too washed out. Then i tryed lowering the brightness on THX Brightroom and found that bumping it down to about 45 helped to make it look less washed out. It does hurt the shadow detail a tiny bit, but for me it is a good compromise because you gain the brightness you want yet maintain the color accuracy that is important.
post #1956 of 9713
We had some company last night, and one of them wanted to see a few scenes from Avatar extended collectors edition Bluray (non-3D). It was the first time I've had a chance to play that disc on the new TV and I have to say, without exaggeration, it was jaw dropping good on the 60GT50 in THX Cinema mode - with zero adjustments. It was so good in fact that even all the wives were floored lol. Two of them today placed orders for the GT50. I'm not a retailer but I can't imagine a better way to sell these sets. The title really shows off the set's capabilities.
post #1957 of 9713
@ATC7 So... now you know exactly what your tv is capable of when fed good material. wink.gif
post #1958 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

@ATC7 So... now you know exactly what your tv is capable of when fed good material. wink.gif

Absolutely. Although, I've had the Bluray for a while and have watched it on a few TVs, including my old G15 but it really came to life I think on my new set; to say it was noticeably better is an understatement.
post #1959 of 9713
Can this tv be calibrated profesionally to look the same or better than THX cinema but just a bit brighter? Or is there always a "sweet spot" so to speak as far as overall brightness goes (to maintain proper gamma/contrast/etc.)?
post #1960 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Can this tv be calibrated profesionally to look the same or better than THX cinema but just a bit brighter? Or is there always a "sweet spot" so to speak as far as overall brightness goes (to maintain proper gamma/contrast/etc.)?

I'm actually using the VT settings by Katz from CNet, minus the 10p wb but IMO it looks just as good as THX. Only thing I did was bring the brightness down 3 notches since their review was done in a dim room and my living room is almost theater dark when I watch movies. I could've sworn I read somewhere that the THX modes are almost set in stone. Like if you change brightness or contrast, it's minimal and not the same as using a custom setting. You also get control of the pixel orbiter & motion smoother.

I have a question....What size picture is everyone using while viewing BluRay material or gaming? I use Size 2 for watching FiOS programming but I'm not sure if I'm taking away from BD movies if I set to Size 1?
post #1961 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidya46 View Post

... )the picture quality from my Cale (AT&T ) DVR is not so good.the DVR outputs 1080i or 720p.i am watching at 1080i now. ...

1080i looks great on the gt50 so long as the original content was good. I think a lot of the low quality issues with many signals on all tv's isn't the resolution, its the content.

I have been watching primarily OTA broadcast. Much of it is "real" 1080i and it looks very good. When I watch the local CBS news, the studio shots look fine but much of the "location" video in the news stories looks pretty bad. The broadcast signal stays fixed at 1080i but the content is just up-converted crap from the local station.

I think cable programming is the same way. The signal comming out of the box may be 1080i, 720p, or whatever but if the original content was crap the delivered signal is still going to look like crap.
post #1962 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

1080i looks great on the gt50 so long as the original content was good. I think a lot of the low quality issues with many signals on all tv's isn't the resolution, its the content.
I have been watching primarily OTA broadcast. Much of it is "real" 1080i and it looks very good. When I watch the local CBS news, the studio shots look fine but much of the "location" video in the news stories looks pretty bad. The broadcast signal stays fixed at 1080i but the content is just up-converted crap from the local station.
I think cable programming is the same way. The signal comming out of the box may be 1080i, 720p, or whatever but if the original content was crap the delivered signal is still going to look like crap.


You are exactly right, what people don't understand is that some content on some channels are upconverted SD and not real 1080i or 720p. Even though your cable or satellite is set for HD. But for the real HD channels it looks real good, and a good bluray = Stunning.
post #1963 of 9713
So what is everyone's consensus on this sets 3D PQ?

Is the lack of 48hz mode a deal killer in order to get a cross talk free picture? Are there any owners out there that have been successful in eliminating cross talk some other way? I was looking @ the 65GT50 but might have to go the VT route if this is the case...........mad.gif

Can anyone tell me if cross talk is something that can be addressed by Panasonic in a future firmware or is it a hardware limitation?

Thanks!
post #1964 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

So what is everyone's consensus on this sets 3D PQ?
Is the lack of 48hz mode a deal killer in order to get a cross talk free picture? Are there any owners out there that have been successful in eliminating cross talk some other way? I was looking @ the 65GT50 but might have to go the VT route if this is the case...........mad.gif
Can anyone tell me if cross talk is something that can be addressed by Panasonic in a future firmware or is it a hardware limitation?
Thanks!

What crosstalk?wink.gif

Really though, I didn't see enough crosstalk for it to be bothersome at all and hubby only saw it once while watching Avatar. We did watch a little of Hugo and that was mainly where it was noticeable to me, but then I was looking for it, while he wasn't. Hubby is just a simple kind of guy that just likes to sit back and enjoy what he has, if you know what I mean.
post #1965 of 9713
I have a a question for those who game on their TV. I am used to gaming on an LCD with a PS3 and Xbox. I'm wondering how they will look on a plasma. Due to it not being as bright would those games still look very detailed and vivid as they do on my 2 year old Bravia?

I really want to pull the trigger on this TV but I do alot of gaming and have a Bluray collection hitting almost 400 and want to make sure its a worthy upgrade.

i don't conside myself a plasma or LCD fanboy so I'd appreciate some honest answers that didn't inlcude LCD sucks blah blah....lol

Thanks for the help.


On a side note i submitted a lower price to Amazon from Pauls. Is there anyway to actually get it from Amazon at that price quicker...lol
post #1966 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by melio111 View Post

I have a a question for those who game on their TV. I am used to gaming on an LCD with a PS3 and Xbox. I'm wondering how they will look on a plasma. Due to it not being as bright would those games still look very detailed and vivid as they do on my 2 year old Bravia?
I really want to pull the trigger on this TV but I do alot of gaming and have a Bluray collection hitting almost 400 and want to make sure its a worthy upgrade.
i don't conside myself a plasma or LCD fanboy so I'd appreciate some honest answers that didn't inlcude LCD sucks blah blah....lol
Thanks for the help.
On a side note i submitted a lower price to Amazon from Pauls. Is there anyway to actually get it from Amazon at that price quicker...lol

The image on this set is going to destroy your Bravia. Pay no attention the "not as bright" comments and wait till it's in your home. The reduction in input lag will improve how well you play and the image will look better than you've ever seen it, assuming you dial in your settings correctly.

Be advised, you need to be careful during the first few hundred hours of use on your set. Playing 6 hours of Call of Duty with a static HUD is going to make you sad when you go to watch tv later on. Whether you choose to break in the tv with slides or full screen viewing, avoid HUD's on games for extended periods of time.
post #1967 of 9713
Hey guys, two quick questions for you. I am returning my 60GT50 to Best Buy due to a line in the middle of the screen and will be ordering from Amazon.

1. I know a lot of people have purchased TV's from Amazon, are their dedicated shippers pretty good. I've just never bought a large item from them.
2. Can someone point me to Amazon's list of retailers that they will price match? Also, how does one ask Amazon to price match, is it as simple as just asking them over the phone or via email? I was going to have them price match the 60GT50 with Abe's pricings.

Thanks guys
post #1968 of 9713
I've read through most of the thread and didn't really see anyone address this, so if someone could be kind enough to do so, I'd really appreciate it. I'm looking to buy my very first plasma and have had my eye on the 65" GT50 and the 65" VT50, but I still can't find what the difference between the two are. Most of the comparisons seem to be with the ST model, but from what I've seen, the GT and VT models seem to be more in class with each other. I'm upgrading finally from a Toshiba 46" rear projection that I bought in 2004 and is still running strong, but it's definitely time to get that hulk of a tv out of the living room.

Thanks to anyone who can spell out the differences for this plasma noob. biggrin.gif
post #1969 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeezy13 View Post

Hey guys, two quick questions for you. I am returning my 60GT50 to Best Buy due to a line in the middle of the screen and will be ordering from Amazon.
1. I know a lot of people have purchased TV's from Amazon, are their dedicated shippers pretty good. I've just never bought a large item from them.
2. Can someone point me to Amazon's list of retailers that they will price match? Also, how does one ask Amazon to price match, is it as simple as just asking them over the phone or via email? I was going to have them price match the 60GT50 with Abe's pricings.
Thanks guys

Here is Amazon's TV Low Price Guarantee and the list of retailers they price match:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200726210_terms?nodeId=200726210#tc

We're working hard to make sure our prices are the best around. If you find a lower price on another qualifying website within 14 days after the date we ship your order, let us know and we'll credit your original payment method taking any differences in shipping and promotions into account. If we lower our own price within 14 days after we ship your TV, let us know and we'll refund you the difference as well.

You can request a refund for the price difference through the "Found a lower price?" button on your Order Summary page in Your Account. If you have questions or concerns, use the "Contact Us" button on the right side of any Help page to contact Customer Service about the TV Low Price Guarantee.

Eligible Websites
Below is the list of websites whose offers are eligible, subject to compliance with other terms and conditions. You can find the full TV Low Price Guarantee Terms & Conditions here:

bestbuy.com
bhphotovideo.com
buy.com
buydig.com
cdw.com
circuitcity.com
compusa.com
costco.com
dell.com
electronics-expo.com
frys.com
hhgregg.com
newegg.com
paulstv.com
6ave.com
samsclub.com
sears.com
target.com
tigerdirect.com
us-appliance.com
vanns.com
walmart.com
The Guarantee applies only to retail offers by the retailer operating one of the listed websites, not to offers by third-party sellers appearing on such sites.

Terms & Conditions
The TV Low Price Guarantee (the "Guarantee") applies only to TVs sold and fulfilled by Amazon.com. If you purchase your TV from another retailer (including items sold by third-party sellers on the Amazon.com site), the Guarantee does not apply.
To qualify for the Guarantee, you must first purchase the television sold and fulfilled by Amazon.com and find a lower price from Amazon.com, an eligible competitor's website or that eligible competitor's offer on Amazon.com within 14 days after the Amazon.com ship date. The lower price must remain in effect at the time your Guarantee request is verified by Amazon. Expired offers are not eligible.
The Amazon.com price is the price after any rebates, gift certificates, and promotional discounts have been applied to the item. Costs for comparable shipping and handling will be included in the price comparison.
Competitors' special promotions such as rebates, gift certificates, bundled products and "buy one, get one" offers are not eligible for the Guarantee.
Price difference applies to full cost of the item minus any promotions, and does not include tax.
Time-limited sales events (such as Black Friday, "early bird" or "door buster" offers ), offers advertised as limited in time or quantity, clearance, liquidation and going-out-of business sales, and loyalty program offers are also ineligible for the Guarantee.
The Guarantee applies to the price payable for TVs only. Offers for or including ancillary services (such as financing, installation, or extended warranties) are not covered by the Guarantee.
The competing offer must be currently available in the model, color, and style that is sold by Amazon.com and the competing offer must be in-stock and available for purchase on the competitor's website, in new, unopened condition. Used, returned, open-box and display items are not eligible.
The Guarantee does not apply where the competitor or Amazon.com has made a pricing error or typographical error on an item.
The Guarantee applies to websites only, not brick-and-mortar stores. The website featuring the competing offer must not be an auction site. The competing website must be operated by a U.S. company and must ship products from a U.S. location. A list of online retailers whose offers are eligible for the Guarantee, subject to compliance with other Guarantee terms and conditions, is available here. The Guarantee applies only to retail offers by the retailer operating one of the listed websites, not to offers by third-party sellers appearing on such sites.
Only one unit purchased of an item per customer is eligible for the Guarantee (that is, multiple claims on the same item will not be eligible, regardless of the quantity ordered), and the Guarantee can only be applied once per item, even if a lower-priced offer is subsequently found.
The Guarantee only applies to purchases for personal use. The Guarantee does not apply to purchases for resale or commercial purposes.
If your claim satisfies all of these terms and conditions, we will refund the price difference between our price and the competing offer through the original payment method(s) used for the TV purchase.
We reserve the right to deny claims or to modify these terms at time if the Guarantee is being abused.
post #1970 of 9713
Boston, thanks a lot. That helps a ton. As soon as I get my refund from Best Buy I'll be placing my order!
post #1971 of 9713
Need some advice Please !! - set up my new 55GT50 4 days ago and have been watching it and i am unfortunately in the "this TV is a bit Soft in the picture sharpness" camp - using the exact same FIOS DVR and hdmi cable set up, the 55GT50 picture detail appears 'Soft"compared to my my other beloved 5 year old panny plasma 50PX75U - i watch mainly HD programming through FIOS, much of it sports (NHL, NBA, Golf Channel, MLB) and the 50PX75U is just stunning with razor sharp detail compared to the 55GT50. I want badly to like the 55GT50 (last year i tried and returned both the 55GT30 (wasnt impressed) and the sammy 50D7000 (buzzzzzzzzzzz)).

I've always been a Plasma guy but is it maybe that the new TV's dont do as good a job with OTA HD programming ? I rarely watch blu-rays - what is the opinion on best mode and tweaks to get this 55GT50 to show the same level of detail as my other 5 year old TV ? I have been in THX Cinema mode and tried jacking up the contrast, color and brightness, but this doesnt enhance the sharpness of the picture.
thanks in advance for any help - i dont want to return this TV bc it's beatuiful and it doesnt Buzz at all.
post #1972 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned View Post

Need some advice Please !! - set up my new 55GT50 4 days ago and have been watching it and i am unfortunately in the "this TV is a bit Soft in the picture sharpness" camp - using the exact same FIOS DVR and hdmi cable set up, the 55GT50 picture detail appears 'Soft"compared to my my other beloved 5 year old panny plasma 50PX75U - i watch mainly HD programming through FIOS, much of it sports (NHL, NBA, Golf Channel, MLB) and the 50PX75U is just stunning with razor sharp detail compared to the 55GT50. I want badly to like the 55GT50 (last year i tried and returned both the 55GT30 (wasnt impressed) and the sammy 50D7000 (buzzzzzzzzzzz)).
I've always been a Plasma guy but is it maybe that the new TV's dont do as good a job with OTA HD programming ? I rarely watch blu-rays - what is the opinion on best mode and tweaks to get this 55GT50 to show the same level of detail as my other 5 year old TV ? I have been in THX Cinema mode and tried jacking up the contrast, color and brightness, but this doesnt enhance the sharpness of the picture.
thanks in advance for any help - i dont want to return this TV bc it's beatuiful and it doesnt Buzz at all.

While you were in the menu for contrast etc., were you able to adjust sharpness? I don't have my new TV yet but I understand that Menu/Picture/Advanced picture/ Motion smoother should be set at Weak.

I hope this helps.
post #1973 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Red Sox View Post

I've read through most of the thread and didn't really see anyone address this, so if someone could be kind enough to do so, I'd really appreciate it. I'm looking to buy my very first plasma and have had my eye on the 65" GT50 and the 65" VT50, but I still can't find what the difference between the two are. Most of the comparisons seem to be with the ST model, but from what I've seen, the GT and VT models seem to be more in class with each other. I'm upgrading finally from a Toshiba 46" rear projection that I bought in 2004 and is still running strong, but it's definitely time to get that hulk of a tv out of the living room.
Thanks to anyone who can spell out the differences for this plasma noob. biggrin.gif

I was in a similar boat to you, but I was really looking at the 60 inch tv and the VT does not come in a 60 inch. You might want to check out the CNET VT50 review, (it says they haven’t finished the GT50 review, but it does have some comparisons of the two and one comment that bothers me is that it says the GT50 is closer to the ST50 in PQ than the VT5, but the final review is not completed the GT50 review yet.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p65vt50/4505-6482_7-35118305.html?tag=fd2010AuxPromo.0

Essentially, the primary differences are, VT50 has one pane of glass, better filter, ultra panel for deeper blacks, additional touch remote, and some additional pro calibration such as 12 point grey scale, and it has the 96hz refresh rate for 1080p/24 sources.

If I was looking at buying a 65 inch, I would probably have just spent the extra money and gone with the VT50, but the 60GT50 was only $2040 and the 65VT50 would have cost an additional $1400. So the question was is $1400 worth the increase in options and PQ, (if the increase would even be noticeable if they weren’t side by side). Part of me still wants it lol, but I am trying to be reasonable about it and its nearly double the price. If I had paid for the 65GT50 I would probably have just spent the extra few hundred to eliminate any second guessing and have the best of the best, but the GT50 PQ is stunning and the set is amazing.

I would add, my panel is defective; it seemed to have trouble focusing and has a stripe going down the side of my screen. My set is being returned and my new GT50 arrives next week, but most of the time the PQ is still amazing. But, there are reports of this so I would make sure you buy it from a reputable place with a good return policy in case you need to return it.

I would also say that I went to BB and they had the 60GT50 right above the 65VT50 and I had them set both of them to THX cinema mode and both were on the same source, and I really couldn’t tell them apart. So I really wonder, if the difference between the VT50 and the GT50 is really only noticeable after both have been professionally calibrated and then are next to each other in a dark room, being scrutinized to the hilt with very specific scenes from various movies, because honestly I don’t know how much more black the blacks can get lol. Some scenes look the screen was painted black.

Ultimately, I think it boils down to a cost benefit analysis. Are the extra options, and increase in performance worth the extra cost to you? This obviously changes when you determine what size you want as well as the VT50 is only available in 55 and 65, and after seeing the 60 inch I was not willing to settle on the 55, and the price difference between the 60GT50 and the 65VT50 more substantial than the 65GT50 and the 65VT50.

I would add I dont hear any buzzing on my tv even when muted, unless I literally stick my ear up to the tv, so I would say buzzing is a non isssue.

Good luck with your decsion.
post #1974 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

You are exactly right, what people don't understand is that some content on some channels are upconverted SD and not real 1080i or 720p. Even though your cable or satellite is set for HD. But for the real HD channels it looks real good, and a good bluray = Stunning.

Thanks I realised this when CNBC is consistently poor quality when compared to CNN/HLN.And also changing it from 1080i to 720p didnt make anydifference.
Kinda did a hack though smile.gif..Took the ST50 settings from CNET(search for ST 50 Settings ) and set that to my "custom".This seems acceptable to me.I have yet to see how this fares during the day
as my room is fairly bright . So I will let this setting in for a few days and report back to y'all.

All of my other Uverse channels look brilliiant:D
post #1975 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeezy13 View Post

Hey guys, two quick questions for you. I am returning my 60GT50 to Best Buy due to a line in the middle of the screen and will be ordering from Amazon.
1. I know a lot of people have purchased TV's from Amazon, are their dedicated shippers pretty good. I've just never bought a large item from them.
2. Can someone point me to Amazon's list of retailers that they will price match? Also, how does one ask Amazon to price match, is it as simple as just asking them over the phone or via email? I was going to have them price match the 60GT50 with Abe's pricings.
Thanks guys

The best thing to do is to place one in your cart and then give Amazon a call, they have price matched more than what they list on their site. It seems that the market is much more competitive since they wrote that policy and the same seems to be true of BB where if you talk to the manager in person they may just price match an online price.

Amazon's shipping is fabulours (I bought and returned several tvs), however the white glove portion seems to vary by company although they should be the same and one should demand the same. CEVA unpacks, sets tv in stand, turns it on and will offer to take the box (never give up the box). Pilot tries to leave without doing much but with a phone call can be made to unpack and turn on the tv.

Be sure to inspect your tv before you sign anything that you have delivered by anyone!
post #1976 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned View Post

Need some advice Please !! - set up my new 55GT50 4 days ago and have been watching it and i am unfortunately in the "this TV is a bit Soft in the picture sharpness" camp - using the exact same FIOS DVR and hdmi cable set up, the 55GT50 picture detail appears 'Soft"compared to my my other beloved 5 year old panny plasma 50PX75U - i watch mainly HD programming through FIOS, much of it sports (NHL, NBA, Golf Channel, MLB) and the 50PX75U is just stunning with razor sharp detail compared to the 55GT50. I want badly to like the 55GT50 (last year i tried and returned both the 55GT30 (wasnt impressed) and the sammy 50D7000 (buzzzzzzzzzzz)).
I've always been a Plasma guy but is it maybe that the new TV's dont do as good a job with OTA HD programming ? I rarely watch blu-rays - what is the opinion on best mode and tweaks to get this 55GT50 to show the same level of detail as my other 5 year old TV ? I have been in THX Cinema mode and tried jacking up the contrast, color and brightness, but this doesnt enhance the sharpness of the picture.
thanks in advance for any help - i dont want to return this TV bc it's beatuiful and it doesnt Buzz at all.

Try THX bright room or Custom.

Contrast 85-95
Brightness 48-53
Color 50-55
Sharpness 40-50
Turn off all processing under the Advanced settings. Make certain that C.A.T.S. is off. Motion Smoother can be set to weak or off, unless you prefer it higher.
In Custom's Advanced set the panel brightness to Mid.
post #1977 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

The best thing to do is to place one in your cart and then give Amazon a call, they have price matched more than what they list on their site. It seems that the market is much more competitive since they wrote that policy and the same seems to be true of BB where if you talk to the manager in person they may just price match an online price.
Amazon's shipping is fabulours (I bought and returned several tvs), however the white glove portion seems to vary by company although they should be the same and one should demand the same. CEVA unpacks, sets tv in stand, turns it on and will offer to take the box (never give up the box). Pilot tries to leave without doing much but with a phone call can be made to unpack and turn on the tv.
Be sure to inspect your tv before you sign anything that you have delivered by anyone!

Thank you! I'll be certainly to try the TV before they leave! And yes I agree, I ALWAYS keep the box just in case.
post #1978 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Try THX bright room or Custom.
Contrast 85-95
Brightness 48-53
Color 50-55
Sharpness 40-50
Turn off all processing under the Advanced settings. Make certain that C.A.T.S. is off. Motion Smoother can be set to weak or off, unless you prefer it higher.
In Custom's Advanced set the panel brightness to Mid.

will try it - thanks
post #1979 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned View Post

Need some advice Please !! - set up my new 55GT50 4 days ago and have been watching it and i am unfortunately in the "this TV is a bit Soft in the picture sharpness" camp - using the exact same FIOS DVR and hdmi cable set up, the 55GT50 picture detail appears 'Soft"compared to my my other beloved 5 year old panny plasma 50PX75U - i watch mainly HD programming through FIOS, much of it sports (NHL, NBA, Golf Channel, MLB) and the 50PX75U is just stunning with razor sharp detail compared to the 55GT50. I want badly to like the 55GT50 (last year i tried and returned both the 55GT30 (wasnt impressed) and the sammy 50D7000 (buzzzzzzzzzzz)).
I've always been a Plasma guy but is it maybe that the new TV's dont do as good a job with OTA HD programming ? I rarely watch blu-rays - what is the opinion on best mode and tweaks to get this 55GT50 to show the same level of detail as my other 5 year old TV ? I have been in THX Cinema mode and tried jacking up the contrast, color and brightness, but this doesnt enhance the sharpness of the picture.
thanks in advance for any help - i dont want to return this TV bc it's beatuiful and it doesnt Buzz at all.

What FIOS box do you have? The cisco one's have picture control settings for sharpness, etc.
post #1980 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned View Post

Need some advice Please !! - set up my new 55GT50 4 days ago and have been watching it and i am unfortunately in the "this TV is a bit Soft in the picture sharpness" camp - using the exact same FIOS DVR and hdmi cable set up, the 55GT50 picture detail appears 'Soft"compared to my my other beloved 5 year old panny plasma 50PX75U - i watch mainly HD programming through FIOS, much of it sports (NHL, NBA, Golf Channel, MLB) and the 50PX75U is just stunning with razor sharp detail compared to the 55GT50. I want badly to like the 55GT50 (last year i tried and returned both the 55GT30 (wasnt impressed) and the sammy 50D7000 (buzzzzzzzzzzz)).
I've always been a Plasma guy but is it maybe that the new TV's dont do as good a job with OTA HD programming ? I rarely watch blu-rays - what is the opinion on best mode and tweaks to get this 55GT50 to show the same level of detail as my other 5 year old TV ? I have been in THX Cinema mode and tried jacking up the contrast, color and brightness, but this doesnt enhance the sharpness of the picture.
thanks in advance for any help - i dont want to return this TV bc it's beatuiful and it doesnt Buzz at all.

Newbie to this forum! I am in a similar boat. This is my first plasma and got a P60GT50 last week. sometimes the image is too soft to the point where it appears that its slightly out of focus. There are other times in the same HD channel when the image looks very details and sharp and after few moment it turns soft. I have everything turned off. Tried some custom adjustments/THX mode but didn't seem to help. Initially I kept forcing inside me that this may be due to the first 100hrs or so breakin period but now that I have almost put 100+ hrs, I am kind of convinced that the softness is indeed there.
There is another problem that I am noticing is the graininess of the image. I sit about 9.5 ft from the TV and still see lot of grains in the background most of the time. Coming from Sony XBR LCD, I am not too sure weather that's how it looks in plasma. I will make a trip to BB to see if I see similar grains but the image softness is what is preventing me from keeping the TV. In THX mode, the naturalness of the colors and the overall PQ (apart from softness) is the best I have seen in this price range.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]