Originally Posted by janice805
Yep, if I keep this TV, that's the warranty I'm buying. Now, I'm really grappling with whether or not to keep my new TV (65GT50). I wished with Amazon.com you had more than a month to evaluate. Here's my problem and I REALLY hope someone can help out before I end up returning it then regretting it, or ???? .....
1) I really want to KEEP this TV. I'm trying really hard to make it work.
2) No buzzing, flickering, or IR type problems (I've had this set about 8 days).
Here's what I have. In my large family room, I previously HAD a Panasonic 54G20. I love the picture but my electric bill was going up, up, up because I had the TV on from 6 AM to 9 or 10 PM. So, I purchased a 46" Samsung LED to watch mostly during the day. Then about 4-5 PM, I'd switch to my plasma. All OK, except for the fact that I really wanted a BIGGER TV. After a lot of reading that's when I decided to purchase the 65GT50 and put my 54G20 in another room.
Well, it's been 8 days or so and maybe if I had no other TV, I'd say the picture was great. But I do. When switching from the 46" LED to the 65GT50, the plasma of course cannot complete in brightness, clarity, sharpness, etc. OK, I know that - no problem, but something else was still not making me LOVE the new plasma. Something with the picture/settings. So, I drug my 54G20 back into my family room and now have both TV's running day and night, side by side to try to figure out what the problem is.
So far, what I've discovered is that the 54G20's picture is definitely SHARPER, BRIGHTER, and the FACES have more detail and coloration. I'm not sure exactly how to describe this but it's not washed out or dull looking and has more POP. I've spent hours adjusting the GT50 to try to match the picture of the G20. I can come close but it's just not the same. Generally, the GT50's picture is a little darker, and washed out compared to the G20. I even plugged into the Custom Mode some settings I found on the "PlasmaTvBuydingGuide.com" website. I've tried Gamma, Panel Brightness, Contrast, Brightness, etc. and I've tried changing EVERY setting this TV has.
Tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that I should absolutely LOVE the new TV without any doubts. It seems my choices are:
1) I find a setting that really duplicates the G20 picture (brighter, sharper, can see the details better, etc.) ... That's why I'm here today. Hoping that someone or a professional calibrator can help me with my issues.
2) I really WANT TO KEEP this TV, but if I cannot find a better setting, I may have to return it.
3) Or, I "settle" for watching the smaller LED during the day and use the larger GT50 only for night viewing, movies, and blu-rays.
3) Then, if I have to return it, I'd return tt for WHAT ???? My room is too large for LED type TV's because I've not yet found one with decent viewing when off dead center.
P.S. If this is the best this TV can be calibrated, and I am really fighting returning it, how about some type of Video Upscaler?