or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 119

post #3541 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by agkss View Post

Hello, I'm from Lima, Perú...a year ago i bought a Samsung PL51D550 but it had "fluctuating Brightness" and the fix created a pixel misfires...after 10 months and 2 months with samsung costumer service, i returned the tv to the store and they gave me my money back on a voucher...This week i bought with the voucher+money in the same store a Panasonic TC-P60GT50W + DMP BDT220UP + 4 Glasses 3D+ Avatar 3D or Transformers 3...I would like to share my unboxing with you guys and join myself in this thread...i have to say that the menu in this region is similar to asian an european tv's...
TV Unboxing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhnkQbeM3kA&feature=player_embedded
Blu ray player unboxing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf18prNGCiQ
Some photos:










The Plasma Panasonic availables in my country are:
XT50 50"
UT50 42"
ST50 50"
GT50 50" & 60"
VT50 65"
Only on that sizes.
The language on the video is Spanish but i can answer your questions...sorry for the quality of the cam, for my english and greetings smile.gif

Congrats man! I have this same setup. I see the Avatar Blu-ray 3D movie. So glad it will finally be officially released next month. Just pre-ordered mine on Amazon. Ebay is taking way too much advantage.
post #3542 of 9713
Thanks HLdan...i'm not running slides...i just watch tv with zoom 2 (Avoid chanel logo's) & watch blu rays 1.85...one week with the set and the pq compare to sammy d550 is way better...black levels are great!!! The blu ray player is fast to run the disc but when i change scenes is too slow...but i have another: phillips 5200 it's faster to change the scenes...The tv has pro mode like european an assian...but cinema & pro 1 and pro 2 have a little issue...black level is higher...i hope with firmware update they clean the issue
post #3543 of 9713
A few more shots:

Day time in THX Bright mode




Night time (not the best quality, used my iPhone)





post #3544 of 9713
My third...that's right third TC-P50GT30.
Just died just like the other 2.
All the 7 blinking lights.
Warranty company is sending me a check for the set.

I am now paranoid to get another Panasonic!!


Has anyone had this problem with the GT50 OR ST50?

I took a long time to research the set and love the picture and took long time to talk my Wife into Plasma over LED then 3 up 3 down.

So.... anyone?

Thanks!
post #3545 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrasg1 View Post

My third...that's right third TC-P50GT30.
Just died just like the other 2.
All the 7 blinking lights.
Warranty company is sending me a check for the set.
I am now paranoid to get another Panasonic!!
Has anyone had this problem with the GT50 OR ST50?
I took a long time to research the set and love the picture and took long time to talk my Wife into Plasma over LED then 3 up 3 down.
So.... anyone?
Thanks!

How long did you own the tvs before the blink lights of doom started?

I've been following Panasonic tvs since last year and I have owned my GT50 since June. No problems on my end (knock wood) and I haven't read any posts where this occurred either ( I follow two forums), that's not to say that no one has reported the problem though.

I considered buying last year but they were just too problem riddled to take the plunge. I'm so glad I waited.
Edited by sheshechic - 9/4/12 at 12:42pm
post #3546 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFission View Post

Getting to know a P50GT50. Pretty good overall. Am finding gaming a little tough as doubling of images in panning and plasma flicker combine to make it hard on the eyes. Bigger issue: am seeing a noticeable contouring in some static or slow-moving areas of some games and in animated films, e.g., in Pixar short films blu ray through ps3, lights in "Mater and the ghostlight" show sharp contours, which appear as smooth gradients on my Sony 46HX929. Also, sky shows contouring in " Bounding'" from that disc. Same results if I use Game, THX Cinema, or Custom (cnet or other published settings) mode. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Just bumping this. Does anyone know what settings to change to eliminate this color contouring artifact? Note this is not a fast-motion contouring artifact noticed by some reviewers, as this issue is visible in non-moving screen elements, principally light gradients tapering to dark backgrounds. Not a content artifact, as 46HX929 shows fine gradient. PS3 source settings are cnet recommended.
post #3547 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFission View Post

Just bumping this. Does anyone know what settings to change to eliminate this color contouring artifact? Note this is not a fast-motion contouring artifact noticed by some reviewers, as this issue is visible in non-moving screen elements, principally light gradients tapering to dark backgrounds. Not a content artifact, as 46HX929 shows fine gradient. PS3 source settings are cnet recommended.

Are you running the signals through and avr? If so perhaps try turning that off to see if it improves. I occasionally see banding, but it is the fault of the signal, not the tv.
post #3548 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrasg1 View Post

My third...that's right third TC-P50GT30.
Just died just like the other 2.
All the 7 blinking lights.
Warranty company is sending me a check for the set.
I am now paranoid to get another Panasonic!!
Has anyone had this problem with the GT50 OR ST50?
I took a long time to research the set and love the picture and took long time to talk my Wife into Plasma over LED then 3 up 3 down.
So.... anyone?
Thanks!
Have you thought that the problem might be on your end? Three power supply failures sure would me make begin to suspect your electrical source. Are you using the same outlet? Do you have any line conditioner involved or have you checked the voltages coming from that outlet?
post #3549 of 9713
Hi. I just got my TC-P60GT50, and absolutely love the TV. I do have one question. There is a very thin, about 1/4" strip of black around all pictures, and you can even see it when you pull up the menu. I know this isn't a setting with my cable box, Bluray, receiver or the like, because you even see it when you pull up TV menus and play slides from the SD card. The picture doesn't go all the way to the black bezel. Is this normal?
post #3550 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmcmahan View Post

Hi. I just got my TC-P60GT50, and absolutely love the TV. I do have one question. There is a very thin, about 1/4" strip of black around all pictures, and you can even see it when you pull up the menu. I know this isn't a setting with my cable box, Bluray, receiver or the like, because you even see it when you pull up TV menus and play slides from the SD card. The picture doesn't go all the way to the black bezel. Is this normal?

the active pixels (actually, all of them) do not go all the way to the bezel. There is a black area all around the edge of the screen.
post #3551 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmcmahan View Post

Hi. I just got my TC-P60GT50, and absolutely love the TV. I do have one question. There is a very thin, about 1/4" strip of black around all pictures, and you can even see it when you pull up the menu. I know this isn't a setting with my cable box, Bluray, receiver or the like, because you even see it when you pull up TV menus and play slides from the SD card. The picture doesn't go all the way to the black bezel. Is this normal?
Yes it's normal. It's just the gap between the area of the screen where there are pixels, and the bezel. Think of it as a margin for error so that the bezel doesn't cover actual pixels.
post #3552 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpileggi View Post

Have you thought that the problem might be on your end? Three power supply failures sure would me make begin to suspect your electrical source. Are you using the same outlet? Do you have any line conditioner involved or have you checked the voltages coming from that outlet?

Totally agree. If you have a meter you should make sure you have 120 volts at the outlet, and at the surge suppressor outlet if you are (and you should be) using one. You should also make sure your outlet is grounded correctly, that you have 120 volts from both power to neutral and to ground, with 0 volts between n and g.
You should test the voltage while cycling on/off large power users like a/c.
Three sets, 3 power supplies when no one else is reporting power supply problems doesn't make sense.
post #3553 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Are you running the signals through and avr? If so perhaps try turning that off to see if it improves. I occasionally see banding, but it is the fault of the signal, not the tv.

sheshechic, thank you for responding.

Signal goes straight from PS3 to P50GT50 or 46HX929. Swapped out HDMI cables to make sure no difference. If we assume that a signal problem is occurring then it must be at the PS3. But if we then assume that GT50 is faithfully displaying the defective signal or even poor quality source material, then it seems unlikely (to this untutored one) that the Sony is reconstructing a smooth gradient where there was none received? (The Sony's CineMotion and other picture processing features are all set to Off, so there should be no frame interpolation or smoothing going on.) Or am I oversimplifying?
post #3554 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmcmahan View Post

Hi. I just got my TC-P60GT50, and absolutely love the TV. I do have one question. There is a very thin, about 1/4" strip of black around all pictures, and you can even see it when you pull up the menu. I know this isn't a setting with my cable box, Bluray, receiver or the like, because you even see it when you pull up TV menus and play slides from the SD card. The picture doesn't go all the way to the black bezel. Is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Yes it's normal. It's just the gap between the area of the screen where there are pixels, and the bezel. Think of it as a margin for error so that the bezel doesn't cover actual pixels.

Also, note that the margin will sometimes be a little larger on the left or right, depending on the signal. In other words, it's not always even.
post #3555 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

Also, note that the margin will sometimes be a little larger on the left or right, depending on the signal. In other words, it's not always even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Yes it's normal. It's just the gap between the area of the screen where there are pixels, and the bezel. Think of it as a margin for error so that the bezel doesn't cover actual pixels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post

the active pixels (actually, all of them) do not go all the way to the bezel. There is a black area all around the edge of the screen.

Thank you all!
post #3556 of 9713
Still loving my 2.5 week old 65GT50. I have an audio question though. I was reading the Bluray players section and happened to see this quote from someone using an ST30 model: "I cannot use the netflix app on the TV because it does not output 5.1 from the optical out. Only for antenna in."

My plan is to hook up an optical cable out to my AVR as soon as the TV is mounted on a new stand/mount this weekend. The goal is to be able to watch Netflix, Amazon, or DLNA sources with 5.1 audio. Is that not going to work? I hope the 2012 models have been upgraded? I can't find any reference in the manual about it.
post #3557 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali View Post

Still loving my 2.5 week old 65GT50. I have an audio question though. I was reading the Bluray players section and happened to see this quote from someone using an ST30 model: "I cannot use the netflix app on the TV because it does not output 5.1 from the optical out. Only for antenna in."
My plan is to hook up an optical cable out to my AVR as soon as the TV is mounted on a new stand/mount this weekend. The goal is to be able to watch Netflix, Amazon, or DLNA sources with 5.1 audio. Is that not going to work? I hope the 2012 models have been upgraded? I can't find any reference in the manual about it.

I can tell you I am not thrilled at all with the Netflix app on my 65gt50. The menu is tough and the streaming wasnt very good. It was better out of my samsung blu ray. I have now switched to an Oppo 93 blu ray player and it is even way better.
post #3558 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFission View Post

sheshechic, thank you for responding.
Signal goes straight from PS3 to P50GT50 or 46HX929. Swapped out HDMI cables to make sure no difference. If we assume that a signal problem is occurring then it must be at the PS3. But if we then assume that GT50 is faithfully displaying the defective signal or even poor quality source material, then it seems unlikely (to this untutored one) that the Sony is reconstructing a smooth gradient where there was none received? (The Sony's CineMotion and other picture processing features are all set to Off, so there should be no frame interpolation or smoothing going on.) Or am I oversimplifying?

I don't own a gaming console but others have posted about their experiences with the ps3. If you do a search in the ST50 thread you'll find the discussions. The problem most discussed there concerns older lower resolution games.

One way to check the problem you're having is to play the same material through a blu-ray player.
post #3559 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkowalski1970 View Post

I can tell you I am not thrilled at all with the Netflix app on my 65gt50. The menu is tough and the streaming wasnt very good. It was better out of my samsung blu ray. I have now switched to an Oppo 93 blu ray player and it is even way better.

Thanks for sharing that... I'll keep it in mind when I upgrade my bluray player -- but it doesn't really answer my audio question. smile.gif Do you get 5.1 audio thru the optical out on the GT50?
post #3560 of 9713
I've had my tv about a week now. Sometimes I notice I am just getting stereo coming out of the AVR(denon 2312ci). But if I power off the AVR and power it back on, then the other audio such as DD kicks in. Tivo is connected through receiver to HDMI2.

I guess this would be an AVR issue?
post #3561 of 9713
I've had my GT50 55 inch for a week and half. Blu Ray looks awesome, better than my Sony XBR2 but the I'm still trying to deal with the sharpness issue when watching a channel in 720P (espically when it is a wide shot) and I'm trying to maintain a good picture but still get some of that "pop" or "wow" picture you get from and LCD/LED. I'm currently using Custom mode with my sharpness tunred way up (78), warm 1 color, pro stuff left alone, motion sensor weak and I've actually adjusted the size to 1 instead of 2. I'm new to a plasma and would appreciate any recommended settings for what I am looking for. I want to keep the TV so please don't tell me to return it and buy and LED:-)
post #3562 of 9713
There is a thread on this site like 60 pages documenting blinking light failures for Panasonics.
Plus all you have to do for example is google 7 blinking lights of death etc...
But I will have the elec. on my side checked.

Thanks
post #3563 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I don't own a gaming console but others have posted about their experiences with the ps3. If you do a search in the ST50 thread you'll find the discussions. The problem most discussed there concerns older lower resolution games.
One way to check the problem you're having is to play the same material through a blu-ray player.

I had thought about this, and last night I dragged my Sony BDP-S790 in and got the same result: GT50 showed color contours on radiant or glowing light areas against dark backgrounds. Noticed it in a scene from Wall-E on the WOW disc, as well as in the previously mentioned Mater short film from Pixar. HX929 showed smooth gradients of color in these areas. Of course the HX929 has issues of its own, but that's a story for another thread . . . .

If there's no setting on the GT50 to fix this, then I will just have to consider it a "feature" that I either live with or without. After all, it's not an issue that will occur too frequently, although we do favor animated films.

Thanks again for your input.
post #3564 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFission View Post

... If there's no setting on the GT50 to fix this, then I will just have to consider it a "feature" that I either live with or without. After all, it's not an issue that will occur too frequently, although we do favor animated films. Thanks again for your input.

I have seen these steppy-gradients on quite a few things from OTA broadcast TV but I see exactly the same on my older Samsung LCD. The TV produces smooth gradients most of the time. I don't remember seeing anything ugly from any other sources. I had always assumed these gradient steps were a result of an over-compressed signal or a signal that simply had choppy gradients from the beginning.

I don't know what these settings do but the HDMI set-up gives options for Auto, Standard, and Non-standard RGB color range. There is a second set of options for Normal and Wide color space. There is a third set of options for Auto, Photos, Graphics, and Off for content type.

Depending on how your box sends its signal to the TV some combination of these settings may help (or it may make it worse rolleyes.gif) Or maybe these settings do nothing and were only included for the benefit of people who just enjoy changing settings and thinking it makes a better picture biggrin.gif
post #3565 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmanoly View Post

I've had my GT50 55 inch for a week and half. Blu Ray looks awesome, better than my Sony XBR2 but the I'm still trying to deal with the sharpness issue when watching a channel in 720P (espically when it is a wide shot) and I'm trying to maintain a good picture but still get some of that "pop" or "wow" picture you get from and LCD/LED. I'm currently using Custom mode with my sharpness tunred way up (78), warm 1 color, pro stuff left alone, motion sensor weak and I've actually adjusted the size to 1 instead of 2. I'm new to a plasma and would appreciate any recommended settings for what I am looking for. I want to keep the TV so please don't tell me to return it and buy and LED:-)

I certainly won't tell you to get an LED rolleyes.gif

There have been several credible complaints about 720p sources looking sub-par on these sets. I have seen some loss in resolution from 720p OTA broadcast but I have to move in way closer than my normal viewing distance to see it. All my external sources are output at 1080p so its not an issue for me. If your TV is from cable, fiber, dish, whatever ... check to see if you change your output signal to 1080p or possibly upgrade your box to one that supports 1080p. If its an external box that only does 720p, then you can add an HDMI scaler that will up-convert the signal to 1080p before it gets to the TV.

If the problem is with OTA and using the internal tuner, then I think the problem is partially your local broadcast. My ABC and FOX channels are 720p and they look really nice. I don't see issues until I get within about 4-5 feet from a 60 incher.

Hope this helps.
post #3566 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

I certainly won't tell you to get an LED rolleyes.gif
There have been several credible complaints about 720p sources looking sub-par on these sets. I have seen some loss in resolution from 720p OTA broadcast but I have to move in way closer than my normal viewing distance to see it. All my external sources are output at 1080p so its not an issue for me. If your TV is from cable, fiber, dish, whatever ... check to see if you change your output signal to 1080p or possibly upgrade your box to one that supports 1080p. If its an external box that only does 720p, then you can add an HDMI scaler that will up-convert the signal to 1080p before it gets to the TV.
If the problem is with OTA and using the internal tuner, then I think the problem is partially your local broadcast. My ABC and FOX channels are 720p and they look really nice. I don't see issues until I get within about 4-5 feet from a 60 incher.
Hope this helps.

I certainly have not seen any quality issues with OTA 720p. For me, I can't even tell a difference between OTA 720p and 1080i. Both look stunning.

I'm using an antenna, not cable, which is usually better quality since cable processes/compresses their signals.
post #3567 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali View Post

Thanks for sharing that... I'll keep it in mind when I upgrade my bluray player -- but it doesn't really answer my audio question. smile.gif Do you get 5.1 audio thru the optical out on the GT50?

Yes, No, and Maybe biggrin.gif

Yes for ATSC OTA broadcast, yes for AC3 encoded video from an SD card, Yes for AC3 encoded files from USB attached stuff

No for anything with DTS (in fact you will get no audio at all because the GT50 has no support)
No for anything from a DVD or Blu-Ray player because of digital copy protection (DCP)

Probably No from any external box due to DCP and the availability of ARC on HDMI2

Netflix (and the other apps): I would be shocked to find that Netflix isn't AC3 capable. There may be a setting in the app to change the audio format. It may default to 2 channel stereo to save bandwidth. I'm guessing because I don't subscribe.
post #3568 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFission View Post

Just bumping this. Does anyone know what settings to change to eliminate this color contouring artifact? Note this is not a fast-motion contouring artifact noticed by some reviewers, as this issue is visible in non-moving screen elements, principally light gradients tapering to dark backgrounds. Not a content artifact, as 46HX929 shows fine gradient. PS3 source settings are cnet recommended.


Today i Recieved my 65gt50 from amazon. Was delivered by pilot this morning before I left for work. Roommate got it set up and fired her up at 9am. I came home at 1pm for lunch and to check it out, she worked flawlessly!! On my way to work,I was making plans to have some friends come by to watch the NFL kickoff on my awesome new panny!!!

Upon returning to work I get an ominous text to call my roommate. He said tv just suddenly powered down, he tried to unplug and restart. Tv made a click the red light on the front blinked 8 times with no picture. I came home at 6 and had the same issue occur.

Called Panasonic customer service to see if there was an easy fix. Their answer was for me to send a tech to diagnose. (no replacement tv on board)

Obviously that helps me none so I called amazon and they put in another order which should be here between 11th and 13th of sept.

After googling the issue I found out that the SSU Board(going off memory) was bad

Could I have gotten any kind of discount or expedited shipping from amazon?

The next person that walks into my home and asks me why the new tv is sitting in the corner, will be backhanded!!
post #3569 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

. . . .
Depending on how your box sends its signal to the TV some combination of these settings may help (or it may make it worse rolleyes.gif) Or maybe these settings do nothing and were only included for the benefit of people who just enjoy changing settings and thinking it makes a better picture biggrin.gif

Tpollagi,

If it were a question of broadcast material, I'd say big whoop, but we're talking bluray here, and the two displays produce two very different results. Because I get the same result from two fine bluray players, I've got to think that it's down to processing differences in the displays.

I hadn't previously looked at the settings you mentioned, but I'll give them a fiddle or two to see what falls out. Who knows, maybe thinking I have a better picture will be just as good as the real thing. rolleyes.gif But seriously, thanks for the suggestions.
post #3570 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

I certainly won't tell you to get an LED rolleyes.gif
There have been several credible complaints about 720p sources looking sub-par on these sets. I have seen some loss in resolution from 720p OTA broadcast but I have to move in way closer than my normal viewing distance to see it. All my external sources are output at 1080p so its not an issue for me. If your TV is from cable, fiber, dish, whatever ... check to see if you change your output signal to 1080p or possibly upgrade your box to one that supports 1080p. If its an external box that only does 720p, then you can add an HDMI scaler that will up-convert the signal to 1080p before it gets to the TV.
If the problem is with OTA and using the internal tuner, then I think the problem is partially your local broadcast. My ABC and FOX channels are 720p and they look really nice. I don't see issues until I get within about 4-5 feet from a 60 incher.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. I'm using verizon fios and the box I have can be set to 1080i. I can honestly tell a difference in sharpness between a channel broadcast in 720p versus 1080i. The football game on nbc (1080i) last night looked pretty good. My sony xbr2 always had a tough time (artifacts) with sunday night football, some of the graphics used by nbc. Last night I did not have any of that except for that nbc shield that was shown after replays. There were also a few times when I saw some blurring of just the football after it was thrown but I was really looking for it. I tried a lot of different settings last night and settled on basically tunring up the brightness and sharpness, gamma 2.4, panel display bright, warm1 and I switched back to aspect 2.

I believe I've read some post from Randy Walters about an HDMI upscaler and the pictures he posted were impressive. I'll have to look into that further.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]