or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 120

post #3571 of 9713
I've been enjoying my set for 3 days now, phenomenal.....but I do have a question. I'm using THX Bright for pretty much...everything....but I have noticed that predominately white screens look somewhat...not so white, more like light light gray. Is this normal for this setting? Is it just normal for plasmas? It's not really a concern so much, just wondering. Thanks
post #3572 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by vassillios View Post

I've been enjoying my set for 3 days now, phenomenal.....but I do have a question. I'm using THX Bright for pretty much...everything....but I have noticed that predominately white screens look somewhat...not so white, more like light light gray. Is this normal for this setting? Is it just normal for plasmas? It's not really a concern so much, just wondering. Thanks

Us the cnet settings, it looks much better and cleaner to me......
post #3573 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkowalski1970 View Post

Us the cnet settings, it looks much better and cleaner to me......

Ok, thanks. I have not done the panel prep, so will the cnet settings be ok?

I'm starting to wonder if my assessment is correct. I'm basing this off of a scene in a commercial that I tought looked brilliant white before. I can't really upload it now, but I took a pic of the Cowgirls/Giants game last night and white's looked WHITE. Perhaps I'm just crazy. I only really notice from sat broadcasts where almost the whole screen is white.
post #3574 of 9713
Hi all.

BRAND NEW to the forum here.

I just recently bought a new system, which includes a Panasonic 60GT50. I absolutely love it. But I feel like there's a little bit of color and sharpness lacking. I currently have it on THX Cinema setting. I've switched it to the other settings, but don't really like them. I'm looking for a setting that will look good for movies and sports. I do love the THX Cinema setting when I'm watching a Blu-ray, or watching Apple TV, or even a movie on cable. I'm using an Oppo BDP-93 player, a Pinoeer Elite SC-61, as well.. if that matters.

I was watching the Cowboys-Giants game last night, and colors looked flat.. and it wasn't very sharp at all. It looked like the "Game" setting brightened everything up a little, but then looked too grainy, and over saturated.

I've read through several pages of this thread, and can't really find what I'm looking for.. and I dont' have all day to read through all 120 pages of thread. Please understand this is my first 1080p tv, and I'm a little new to all the different settings, and how to even access Pro settings, let alone change them.

If anyone can help.. Please comment!!!

Thanks..
post #3575 of 9713
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmanoly View Post

Thanks for your reply. I'm using verizon fios and the box I have can be set to 1080i. I can honestly tell a difference in sharpness between a channel broadcast in 720p versus 1080i. The football game on nbc (1080i) last night looked pretty good. My sony xbr2 always had a tough time (artifacts) with sunday night football, some of the graphics used by nbc. Last night I did not have any of that except for that nbc shield that was shown after replays. There were also a few times when I saw some blurring of just the football after it was thrown but I was really looking for it. I tried a lot of different settings last night and settled on basically tunring up the brightness and sharpness, gamma 2.4, panel display bright, warm1 and I switched back to aspect 2.

Here's the settings i'm currently using for OTA primetime and sports, maybe try these as a starting point:

Custom Mode
Contrast +80
Brightness +60
Color +30
Tint +2
Sharpness +65
Color Temp - Warm 2
Black Level - Light
HD Size 2

Pro settings (i keep fiddling with these by eye - but i really should get a calibration disk LOL )
Color space: Normal
W/B high R: -7
W/B high G: +4
W/B high B: +6
W/B low R: +4
W/B low G: -2
W/B low B: +3
Black extension: 0
Gamma adjustment: 2.6
Panel brightness: Mid
Contour emphasis: Off
AGC: +4


Quote:
I believe I've read some post from Randy Walters about an HDMI upscaler and the pictures he posted were impressive. I'll have to look into that further.

I'm not the one who posted pictures but i did post my experience with my Darbee Darblet improving detail on 720p content:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1403635/official-panasonic-gt50-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/3450#post_22345623



My post about the softness that myself and others are seeing on 720p content:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408338/official-panasonic-vt50-owners-thread/4530#post_22232402



Darbee Darblet thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet
post #3576 of 9713
Wow, thanks very much. I really appreciate your help. Definately will try your settings tonight.
post #3577 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by vassillios View Post

Ok, thanks. I have not done the panel prep, so will the cnet settings be ok?
I'm starting to wonder if my assessment is correct. I'm basing this off of a scene in a commercial that I tought looked brilliant white before. I can't really upload it now, but I took a pic of the Cowgirls/Giants game last night and white's looked WHITE. Perhaps I'm just crazy. I only really notice from sat broadcasts where almost the whole screen is white.

I started with Cnet settings and only adjusted the contrast and brightness setting a bit.
post #3578 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Yes, No, and Maybe biggrin.gif
Yes for ATSC OTA broadcast, yes for AC3 encoded video from an SD card, Yes for AC3 encoded files from USB attached stuff
No for anything with DTS (in fact you will get no audio at all because the GT50 has no support)
No for anything from a DVD or Blu-Ray player because of digital copy protection (DCP)
Probably No from any external box due to DCP and the availability of ARC on HDMI2
Netflix (and the other apps): I would be shocked to find that Netflix isn't AC3 capable. There may be a setting in the app to change the audio format. It may default to 2 channel stereo to save bandwidth. I'm guessing because I don't subscribe.

Thanks so much for your input. smile.gif That confirms what I had read -- that sources that originate within the TV, like OTA, attached storage devices, and internet apps, send out 5.1 when available, but sources connected thru HDMI do not. a copyright issue, as you've said...

So.... nobody here has used Netflix and Amazon and can verify that AC3 5.1 is sent out through the optical output? (naturally, on those videos where it's provided.) And what about movie files played with DLNA? MKV with AC3 5.1, for example. I can't try it for myself until after this weekend, when I'm able to test I'll report back.
post #3579 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali View Post

Thanks so much for your input. smile.gif That confirms what I had read -- that sources that originate within the TV, like OTA, attached storage devices, and internet apps, send out 5.1 when available, but sources connected thru HDMI do not. a copyright issue, as you've said...
So.... nobody here has used Netflix and Amazon and can verify that AC3 5.1 is sent out through the optical output? (naturally, on those videos where it's provided.) And what about movie files played with DLNA? MKV with AC3 5.1, for example. I can't try it for myself until after this weekend, when I'm able to test I'll report back.

I cannot directly answer your question but the following may help. I often listen to the TV via analog headphones using the optical output. I was advised to buy a Gefen TV Digital Audio Decoder but to get the one that can handle 5.1 Dolby Digital, which is what I did. It has worked fine with TV programs from my cable box and audio from my Blu-ray player.
post #3580 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrasg1 View Post

My third...that's right third TC-P50GT30.
Just died just like the other 2.
All the 7 blinking lights.
Warranty company is sending me a check for the set.
I am now paranoid to get another Panasonic!!
Has anyone had this problem with the GT50 OR ST50?
I took a long time to research the set and love the picture and took long time to talk my Wife into Plasma over LED then 3 up 3 down.
So.... anyone?
Thanks!



The electrician just left my house. The outlet and surge protector are fine, no problems. Circuit breaker is fine.
The guy told me that he had a tv that died a couple of months ago. A very thin body like the GT30 and that the repair guy had to put a new board in.
BUT he said that the wall mount was the problem. That the screws from the wall mount were pressing into the board and that caused it to blow.
He told him to loosen up the screws on the wall mount as to not put as much pressure on the back plate.

My question is this: Is this possible? Has anybody heard of this causing the 7 blinking lights? It's not the electricity that was just looked at....SO.....
??

Thanks!
post #3581 of 9713
got my panny 65gt50 from best buy last night for a good price. they matched amazon. this is my first plasma i have had the sharp 70632 led tv for a year. put it up on the wall watched a few channels and the football game . i just put it in cinema thx mode and all i can say is WOW best picture i have seen.blows the sharp away. was worried about it not being bright. just the perfect brightness. tried thx bright mode and is really bright. have four large windows behind my couch and no problem withglare very bright picture. i read cnets settings are even better i cant see how. also sports ecellent on the plasma no motion blur at all. fantastic tv.
post #3582 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrasg1 View Post

The electrician just left my house. The outlet and surge protector are fine, no problems. Circuit breaker is fine.
The guy told me that he had a tv that died a couple of months ago. A very thin body like the GT30 and that the repair guy had to put a new board in.
BUT he said that the wall mount was the problem. That the screws from the wall mount were pressing into the board and that caused it to blow.
He told him to loosen up the screws on the wall mount as to not put as much pressure on the back plate.
My question is this: Is this possible? Has anybody heard of this causing the 7 blinking lights? It's not the electricity that was just looked at....SO.....
??
Thanks!

Yes, if you are using screws that are too long. Check the specs in the manual for the longest screws you should use. You could be pushing the end of the screws into a circuit board or a cable.
After 3 tv's the odds are it is something at your house!
post #3583 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzt41j View Post

Yes, if you are using screws that are too long. Check the specs in the manual for the longest screws you should use. You could be pushing the end of the screws into a circuit board or a cable.
After 3 tv's the odds are it is something at your house!

But the electrician came today and checked the outlet, surge protector and fuse box!
post #3584 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny 21 View Post

got my panny 65gt50 from best buy last night for a good price. they matched amazon. this is my first plasma i have had the sharp 70632 led tv for a year. put it up on the wall watched a few channels and the football game . i just put it in cinema thx mode and all i can say is WOW best picture i have seen.blows the sharp away. was worried about it not being bright. just the perfect brightness. tried thx bright mode and is really bright. have four large windows behind my couch and no problem withglare very bright picture. i read cnets settings are even better i cant see how. also sports ecellent on the plasma no motion blur at all. fantastic tv.

Many of us find the two THX settings are all we need. I tend to watch everything in THX Bright Room, although I must admit certain DVDs may look better in THX Cinema but not so much that you'll regret watching it in the wrong setting. Sit back and enjoy!
post #3585 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrasg1 View Post

But the electrician came today and checked the outlet, surge protector and fuse box!

That's good, you eliminated that possibility. But you asked if the mounting screws could be causing the problem, and yes if they are too long they could damage the internal circuit boards. Did you use the same mounting screws on all three tv's?
post #3586 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrasg1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzt41j View Post

Yes, if you are using screws that are too long. Check the specs in the manual for the longest screws you should use. You could be pushing the end of the screws into a circuit board or a cable.
After 3 tv's the odds are it is something at your house!

But the electrician came today and checked the outlet, surge protector and fuse box!
We understand that. But a screw in a wall mount that's penetrating your TV can very easily cause an electronic failure. You ask that question, and so far everyone has answered with a yes.

If you mounted all three sets using the same wall mount and the same screws, that makes the wall mount a prime suspect.

If what you have experienced is entirely caused by identical internal failures in your three displays then there would be massive recalls going on for your model, and this thread would be overrun with complaints.
post #3587 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

We understand that. But a screw in a wall mount that's penetrating your TV can very easily cause an electronic failure. You ask that question, and so far everyone has answered with a yes.
If you mounted all three sets using the same wall mount and the same screws, that makes the wall mount a prime suspect.
If what you have experienced is entirely caused by identical internal failures in your three displays then there would be massive recalls going on for your model, and this thread would be overrun with complaints.

And if it was the screws could that account for the first set failing after 2 days, the second one after a month and this last one after 9 months?

What is the exact correct size screw to be used?

There was a wall mount on the wall already when I moved in. I just had to get new screws.

Thanks for everyones help.
post #3588 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrasg1 View Post

And if it was the screws could that account for the first set failing after 2 days, the second one after a month and this last one after 9 months?
What is the exact correct size screw to be used?
There was a wall mount on the wall already when I moved in. I just had to get new screws.
Thanks for everyones help.

POSSIBLY. You have to remember like someone else said you have had 3 fail the same way, and if everyone was having that problem there would be a ton of complaints, yet there are none.
Somewhere in the manual it should tell you the correct screw size to use.
You did a good job eliminating the electric which really was the main suspect in this one. It's great that you mentioned the mounting bracket.
Good luck!
post #3589 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Instead of 2-way (arc) think of it as 3-way. If you don't have an stb in the mix, it wouldn't be a problem. So to get the tv audio you need a side street - optical cable out. Then in your avr indicate where the tv audio is hooked up at and then to watch you'd change the avr to the appropriate source for the sound. It's in your book for the avr.

So I got my optical cable today, hooked it up and I have sound through my surround system. Only problem is it's not 5.1. It's 2.1. Sucks. To test things, I streamed Iron Man 2 via amazon. Streaming through the Panny, the PQ was pretty good. Definitely watchable. Problem was the sound. So for comparison, I streamed the same movie through the ps3. The sound was great, 5.1 and loud. Problem is the PQ took a HUGE hit. My wife who hardly notices anything said she saw a definite difference, even saying it looked like an SD feed. I saw a few posts up, someone asking if 5.1 was possible while streaming through the Panasonic. Well I guess not, at least not how I have it set. Any suggestions. Would really love to have the Panasonic PQ with the ps3 sound.
post #3590 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrasg1 View Post

The electrician just left my house. The outlet and surge protector are fine, no problems. Circuit breaker is fine.
The guy told me that he had a tv that died a couple of months ago. A very thin body like the GT30 and that the repair guy had to put a new board in.
BUT he said that the wall mount was the problem. That the screws from the wall mount were pressing into the board and that caused it to blow.
He told him to loosen up the screws on the wall mount as to not put as much pressure on the back plate.
My question is this: Is this possible? Has anybody heard of this causing the 7 blinking lights? It's not the electricity that was just looked at....SO.....
??
Thanks!

You probably will have better luck or information regarding your problem posting in the GT30 thread, since no one has had that problem with their GT50.
Good luck.
post #3591 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrasg1 View Post

And if it was the screws could that account for the first set failing after 2 days, the second one after a month and this last one after 9 months?
What is the exact correct size screw to be used?
There was a wall mount on the wall already when I moved in. I just had to get new screws.
Thanks for everyones help.

I found the recommended size for my tv in the manual.
post #3592 of 9713
Cnet is better....imho
post #3593 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrasg1 View Post

And if it was the screws could that account for the first set failing after 2 days, the second one after a month and this last one after 9 months?
What is the exact correct size screw to be used?
There was a wall mount on the wall already when I moved in. I just had to get new screws.
Thanks for everyones help.

I found the recommended size for my tv in the manual.
Don't forget to take into account the thickness of the wall mount itself. I'm not sure if the GT50's owner's guide has allowed for that.
Edited by htwaits - 9/6/12 at 9:17pm
post #3594 of 9713
I just plugged in the Cnet settings using Custom. It's pretty perfect.

Thanks!!
post #3595 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1996 View Post

Many of us find the two THX settings are all we need. I tend to watch everything in THX Bright Room, although I must admit certain DVDs may look better in THX Cinema but not so much that you'll regret watching it in the wrong setting. Sit back and enjoy!

I pretty much use THX bright for everything, haven't tried the THX cinema mode yet (only had the set since 9/3 and only logged about 6 hours so far. I'm going to try the cnet settings sometime next week. I do love this TV. No buzz, no smell. Only gripe is that completely white backgrounds (for instance a commercial with a white background with text overlay) looks a little, non-white (I know it should be brilliant white). I suspect it's the THX mode, I'll see if it changes after I apply the CNET settings. Or perhaps the panel needs time to age? I did not run the panel prep slides.

Perhaps I'm used to the washed out blacks on my old rear projection set, but the blacks on this set almost seem too black rolleyes.gif
post #3596 of 9713
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrasg1 View Post

My third...that's right third TC-P50GT30. Just died just like the other 2. All the 7 blinking lights. Warranty company is sending me a check for the set.
I am now paranoid to get another Panasonic!! Has anyone had this problem with the GT50 OR ST50? I took a long time to research the set and love the picture and took long time to talk my Wife into Plasma over LED then 3 up 3 down. So.... anyone? Thanks!

It's not unheard of for someone to get three defective TVs in a row regardless of brand - but it's pretty rare around here. But this has happened to various members pretty much every year with every brand name so it boils down to just a string of bad luck. Offhand i can't remember seeing this on a 2012 Panasonic in the various threads but i wouldn't be surprised if it did occur.

But as for your house's electrical system checking out ok - my house's electrical system is also OK but for over a year i'd been experiencing my lights suddenly getting brighter and a window fan speeding up but when i checked my breakers and voltages around the house everything was in spec. Then one day my RCA Tube TV went pop and shut off and the repair man later said it was caused by "over voltage". So again i checked my voltage and it was fine (about 118VAC). Some months later my window fan started racing and my reading light got brighter so i quickly plugged my Volt Ohm Meter into a wall receptacle and my voltage was at 130 volts and climbing!! Within about a minute it topped out at 138 volts then started going down and bottomed out at 118 volts within a few minutes then stabilized. So i ran an extension cord to my coffee table and left the VOM plugged into it and later caught the voltage climbing again so this time i ran out to the meter box and took a reading and was soon getting a max of 138 volts before my meter box - so the problem was with my power provider. After a few visits from their technician where my voltage checked out just find they finally caught it in the act of climbing and we eventually traced it back to a faulty regulator in their substation a few miles away. It was randomly allowing too much voltage into my neighborhood and once they fixed it the problem was solved. They then reimbursed me for the cost of repairing my TV's blown power supply.
post #3597 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

It's not unheard of for someone to get three defective TVs in a row regardless of brand - but it's pretty rare around here. But this has happened to various members pretty much every year with every brand name so it boils down to just a string of bad luck. Offhand i can't remember seeing this on a 2012 Panasonic in the various threads but i wouldn't be surprised if it did occur.
But as for your house's electrical system checking out ok - my house's electrical system is also OK but for over a year i'd been experiencing my lights suddenly getting brighter and a window fan speeding up but when i checked my breakers and voltages around the house everything was in spec. Then one day my RCA Tube TV went pop and shut off and the repair man later said it was caused by "over voltage". So again i checked my voltage and it was fine (about 118VAC). Some months later my window fan started racing and my reading light got brighter so i quickly plugged my Volt Ohm Meter into a wall receptacle and my voltage was at 130 volts and climbing!! Within about a minute it topped out at 138 volts then started going down and bottomed out at 118 volts within a few minutes then stabilized. So i ran an extension cord to my coffee table and left the VOM plugged into it and later caught the voltage climbing again so this time i ran out to the meter box and took a reading and was soon getting a max of 138 volts before my meter box - so the problem was with my power provider. After a few visits from their technician where my voltage checked out just find they finally caught it in the act of climbing and we eventually traced it back to a faulty regulator in their substation a few miles away. It was randomly allowing too much voltage into my neighborhood and once they fixed it the problem was solved. They then reimbursed me for the cost of repairing my TV's blown power supply.

wow...nice catch
post #3598 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsdsmith View Post

wow...nice catch
+1
post #3599 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Don't forget to take into account the thickness of the wall mount itself. I'm not sure if the GT50's owner's guide has allowed for that.

Thanks. We're mounting it this weekend. We had to exchange the first one since I it did not extend as far as we need. We'll soon be able to watch tv while eating in the kitchen again and I won't feel the need to rearrange the furniture anymore. biggrin.gif
post #3600 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Don't forget to take into account the thickness of the wall mount itself. I'm not sure if the GT50's owner's guide has allowed for that.

Thanks. We're mounting it this weekend. We had to exchange the first one since I it did not extend as far as we need. We'll soon be able to watch tv while eating in the kitchen again and I won't feel the need to rearrange the furniture anymore. biggrin.gif
I take eating too seriously for that. I use the DVR. eek.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]