or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 146

post #4351 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Well to greatly simplify, they are pre-calibrated settings that are close to optimal right out of the box. For the relatively small % of people who take the time to read forums like this and track down alternative settings like those from C-Net, the THX settings are not very important. I don't use the THX modes. For many others, the THX settings are the difference between a very nice PQ and disappointment with their new TV or several hundred $ to have a calibrator come to their house and dial in a nice PQ for them.
I know a lot of people who couldn't plug in the C-Net settings even if they were written down on a sheet of paper in their hand wink.gif
The fact that you are reading this post suggests that you will be able to set-up the ST and get great PQ without the THX modes.

Everything stated above is very true. However, there is one other aspect of THX settings, in addition to being quite good right out of the box, is the fact that there are two such settings--THX Cinema and THX Bright Room. For some folks this is important. I must admit when I first got the TV and I was really into experimenting I would switch between settings. But after a while I just settled on the C-Net setting (probably because so many folks at this forum prefer it) and stopped fooling with the TV and just sat back and enjoyed it. Frankly if by accident the setting got changed to THX Bright Room I am not sure I would notice it.
post #4352 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong View Post

Can anyone give me some guidance on the GT50 stretch modes (Full vs Justify vs HFill, etc).
Im having trouble figuring out the differences and which one to employ...
Thanks.
What are you using for a source? If you are using a cable box or blu ray/dvd player, set to Full on the GT50 and zoom (if needed) via the cable or player remotes.
post #4353 of 9713
WHAT IS The Correct Device Name to get my Harmony One to Program my new T50GT50

I reviewed the posts on universal remotes here, and (aside from the debate on the overall value of the remotes) they SEEM to note that Logitech supports the PC-T50GT50.

Yet, no matter what name variation I input at Logitch, it suggests i 'mate' the two remotes and program that way.

Is that the best method, or has anyone found the key to linking the GT50 and the Harmony series without that?

Regards
post #4354 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post


That's odd; when I entered it into Logitech's Web site to set it up on my One, it was found right away.

I'm having the same issue - what you enter as device name?
post #4355 of 9713
Hi guys - just hooked up my 65GT50 and am having issues connecting to Vierra Connect. I successfully connected to my wireless network, but I keep getting a "can't connect to server" error when I try to access Vierra Connect.

Any suggestions?
post #4356 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by QlOMD View Post

WHAT IS The Correct Device Name to get my Harmony One to Program my new T50GT50

I reviewed the posts on universal remotes here, and (aside from the debate on the overall value of the remotes) they SEEM to note that Logitech supports the PC-T50GT50.

Yet, no matter what name variation I input at Logitch, it suggests i 'mate' the two remotes and program that way.

Is that the best method, or has anyone found the key to linking the GT50 and the Harmony series without that?

Regards

I have a Harmony 650 and the logitech software installed on my mac. Under device for TV I just entered Panasonic for the manufacturer and all I entered for the model was "65GT50" and it worked fine.
post #4357 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by stixx View Post

Hi guys - just hooked up my 65GT50 and am having issues connecting to Vierra Connect. I successfully connected to my wireless network, but I keep getting a "can't connect to server" error when I try to access Vierra Connect.
Any suggestions?
i had the same problem but i reset my tv to stock default and rebooted as well as updated the tv firmware. try it out it might take a little while restarting from the beginning but its been running fine since i rebooted the tv
post #4358 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser_renely View Post

Ahhh, I forgot to go back to basics. thanks.
Does 1080p pure direct do anything significant? Seems like it would, or is it more marketing?

It depends what you hook up to it. It is NOT marketing BS at all. That said it may not matter to your either, depending.

It lets it accept a full color 4:4:4 signal and won't chroma sub-sample down to 4:2:2 and blur red and blur colors.

However, cable and satellite set top boxes and DVD and blu-ray players only put out 4:2:2 anyway since that is all the signals they handle does so if you only use those things, it makes no difference for now.

However, if you want to hook your PC up to it and view photos or even just the desktop or to play PC games, it makes a big difference since you don't get your red and blue resolution cut way down and blurred over. If you type pure red text on a black background, for instance, on a say a Samung C650 not in PC mode the text looks a mess of blur (in PC mode which does 4:4:4 on that set it looks good, but then they lock out the CMS and advanced calibration menus which is ridiculous).

That is my understanding of it from the little blurb on their website that says it prevents 4:2:2 sub-sampling.

So for a PC user it might make the GT (and VT) well worth it over the ST.
post #4359 of 9713
What I'm still trying to find out is whether the GT lets you access a 10pt gamma/wb calibration and a full CMS which I believe the VT model has (right?) or whether you are stuck with only a 2pt calibration and no CMS to adjust the color primaries.
post #4360 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

What I'm still trying to find out is whether the GT lets you access a 10pt gamma/wb calibration and a full CMS which I believe the VT model has (right?) or whether you are stuck with only a 2pt calibration and no CMS to adjust the color primaries.

The GT does not have the 10 pt white balance and full CMS, but you can still get an outstanding picture without those controls.
post #4361 of 9713
I am new to this site. I just purchased a 65gt and for the life of me (believe me I have searched) I cannot find the instructions or where to find the breaking slides. I have searched d-nice thr wads but still can't find them. Can anyone help me out??
post #4362 of 9713
i found the break in slides on high def jukies forum under dnice
post #4363 of 9713
Currently, I do have my laptop connected to my Sony LED TV to stream video. But, ideally, I'd like to de-clutter and just stream through the TV's browser while using the Viera remote.

I searched almost the entire thread but couldn't find much info regarding the browser's performance... and want to purchase the tv within 24 hrs in order to receive it before Tday.

How is the browser at streaming video? For example, does it stutter when streaming HD content on Netflix via the browser and not the app? I watch a lot of streaming videos from sites that do not have apps. So, it's important to me that the web browser can stream video adequately.

Italiandude wrote that he can't maximize the browser's video to full screen. Can someone second this observation?

I also read somewhere that the Panny browser doesn't support flash. Does this mean you can't stream flash video for sites that doesn't port to html5?

Thanks.
post #4364 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Well to greatly simplify, they are pre-calibrated settings that are close to optimal right out of the box. For the relatively small % of people who take the time to read forums like this and track down alternative settings like those from C-Net, the THX settings are not very important. I don't use the THX modes. For many others, the THX settings are the difference between a very nice PQ and disappointment with their new TV or several hundred $ to have a calibrator come to their house and dial in a nice PQ for them.
I know a lot of people who couldn't plug in the C-Net settings even if they were written down on a sheet of paper in their hand wink.gif
The fact that you are reading this post suggests that you will be able to set-up the ST and get great PQ without the THX modes.

Thanks for the info.

I hope I can do it wink.gif Doesn't seem hard, I am sure I will have a few questions smile.gif
post #4365 of 9713
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amacron View Post

I am new to this site. I just purchased a 65gt and for the life of me (believe me I have searched) I cannot find the instructions or where to find the breaking slides. I have searched d-nice thr wads but still can't find them. Can anyone help me out??

D-Nice has nothing to do with the slides - they're provided by Evangelo. Go to Evangelo's website below and you'll see a banner for the Plasma Break In DVD - click on Free Download to the right then look for the link to the "Plasma Break-in DVD Images (Zip Download - 8KB)" and download the zip file. That zip file contains the 20 colored "break-in" images that you put on an SD Card or USB Thumb Drive to run as a slideshow on your TV.

http://www.eaprogramming.com/
post #4366 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

It depends what you hook up to it. It is NOT marketing BS at all. That said it may not matter to your either, depending.
It lets it accept a full color 4:4:4 signal and won't chroma sub-sample down to 4:2:2 and blur red and blur colors.
However, cable and satellite set top boxes and DVD and blu-ray players only put out 4:2:2 anyway since that is all the signals they handle does so if you only use those things, it makes no difference for now.
However, if you want to hook your PC up to it and view photos or even just the desktop or to play PC games, it makes a big difference since you don't get your red and blue resolution cut way down and blurred over. If you type pure red text on a black background, for instance, on a say a Samung C650 not in PC mode the text looks a mess of blur (in PC mode which does 4:4:4 on that set it looks good, but then they lock out the CMS and advanced calibration menus which is ridiculous).
That is my understanding of it from the little blurb on their website that says it prevents 4:2:2 sub-sampling.
So for a PC user it might make the GT (and VT) well worth it over the ST.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I do use my HTPC and sometimes as a pc quite a bit, so that might convince me.
post #4367 of 9713
Hi everyone. I can now say I'm a proud owner of a 65GT50, which is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday morning. I bought it off Amazon after initially buying (paying for but not having delivered) a 65VT50 from Best Buy, which I ended up getting a refund on before delivery (long story explained in the VT price thread). I have a few questions as this is my first plasma (coming from a Toshiba rear projection 46 inch). First, the fright carrier sent an email that said they do not install the stand onto the tv, they only plug it in to make sure it's working. Living alone, I'd never be able to install the stand and get the tv onto it by myself, so do you think they will do it if I tip them? What would be a good tip for them helping me out in this way?

Thanks for any help that can be thrown this way.
post #4368 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Red Sox View Post

Hi everyone. I can now say I'm a proud owner of a 65GT50, which is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday morning. I bought it off Amazon after initially buying (paying for but not having delivered) a 65VT50 from Best Buy, which I ended up getting a refund on before delivery (long story explained in the VT price thread). I have a few questions as this is my first plasma (coming from a Toshiba rear projection 46 inch). First, the fright carrier sent an email that said they do not install the stand onto the tv, they only plug it in to make sure it's working. Living alone, I'd never be able to install the stand and get the tv onto it by myself, so do you think they will do it if I tip them? What would be a good tip for them helping me out in this way?
Thanks for any help that can be thrown this way.

I thought that Amazon shipped with "White Glove Service" which is how mine was shipped from Amazon. That includes assembly onto stand and placement on your TV cart or table. Nevertheless I'd offer them $20 to assemble with the proviso that they use a REGULAR SCREWDRIVER not an electric one. Too many folks on this site had the screws stripped by having the screws overtightened when electric screwdrivers were used. Also, hold onto the box in case there is a problem and it needs to be shipped back.
Edited by tom1996 - 11/20/12 at 5:27am
post #4369 of 9713
I am hoping you guys can help me troubleshoot. I currently cannot connect to "Vierra Connect" via wifi. However, my network setup menu suggests that I am indeed connected to my home network and am able to "pas" the connectivity tests except for the final Vierra test.

Can anyone connect tot he Vierra servers currently?
post #4370 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1996 View Post

I thought that Amazon shipped with "White Glove Service" which is how mine was shipped from Amazon. That includes assembly onto stand and placement on your TV cart or table. Nevertheless I'd offer them $20 to assemble with the proviso that they use a REGULAR SCREWDRIVER not an electric one. Too many folks on this site had the screws stripped by having the screws overtightened when electric screwdrivers were used. Also, hold onto the box in case there is a problem and it needs to be shipped back.

Thanks Tom for the heads up.
post #4371 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by stixx View Post

Hi guys - just hooked up my 65GT50 and am having issues connecting to Vierra Connect. I successfully connected to my wireless network, but I keep getting a "can't connect to server" error when I try to access Vierra Connect.
Any suggestions?

On the older models, you have to have a video signal playing.
So turn on your cable box... then Vierra connect will work.

Pretty dumb requirement.
post #4372 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

On the older models, you have to have a video signal playing.
So turn on your cable box... then Vierra connect will work.
Pretty dumb requirement.

Have tried that but no luck. Before I drive myself crazy, I was curious if anyone can connect or if there are possible server issues on the Panny side.
post #4373 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixx View Post

Hi guys - just hooked up my 65GT50 and am having issues connecting to Vierra Connect. I successfully connected to my wireless network, but I keep getting a "can't connect to server" error when I try to access Vierra Connect.
Any suggestions?

On the older models, you have to have a video signal playing.
So turn on your cable box... then Vierra connect will work.

Pretty dumb requirement.

That's not the case for the GT50. On my 65GT50 I have my harmony remote programmed for an activity to just turn on the TV and sound system and nothing else and I can access Viera Connect, Netflix, YouTube etc.... with no issues. The only thing I do notice is that it takes about 20-30 seconds for the TV to acquire the wifi signal after turning the TV On. So within that time if you try to access Viera Connect it'll say network error or no internet detected, or something along those lines.
post #4374 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Red Sox View Post

Thanks Tom for the heads up.

I had mine delivered today by Amazon White Glove. Two gentleman showed up (one stayed in the truck), all was assembled with a hand screwdriver, he put the batteries in the remote, fired it up, check it out as having a picture, thanked me and left.

Delivery was scheduld between 9 - 12; he showed up at 10AM, was out by 10:20 am.
post #4375 of 9713
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1996 View Post

I thought that Amazon shipped with "White Glove Service" which is how mine was shipped from Amazon. That includes assembly onto stand and placement on your TV cart or table. Nevertheless I'd offer them $20 to assemble with the proviso that they use a REGULAR SCREWDRIVER not an electric one. Too many folks on this site had the screws stripped by having the screws overtightened when electric screwdrivers were used.

How did you get White Glove Delivery? They haven't offered White Glove in over 5 years and i don't see it as an option when ordering a TV. The best they have is Enhanced Delivery, and with that all their drivers are required to do is unpack the TV and plug it in to make sure it works. They normally don't assemble the stand or place it on your table etc, when they deliver it but sometimes the local carrier does this for you when they deliver the TV.

From Amazon's website:

Schedule Your Own Delivery Time and Enhanced Delivery

Most customers can now schedule their own delivery day--including weekends--and a two- to four-hour window for delivery (dependent upon Zip Code) with a common carrier when they purchase most HDTVs 50 inches or larger from Amazon.com.

Pick Your Own Delivery Time Scheduled Delivery is currently available for select TVs 50 inches or larger to most U.S. (lower 48 states, not including Alaska and Hawaii) Zip Codes. If the service is available for your order, "Scheduled Delivery" will appear on the detail page and as a shipping option during checkout. Simply select a delivery date and time from the carrier's available time slots displayed in the calendar. Delivery is provided by a common carrier.

These TVs also qualify for Enhanced Delivery. With Enhanced Delivery, a representative of the common carrier will bring your TV to any room suitable for testing, unpack it, and ensure that it is working properly to guarantee no damage occurred during transportation.

The carrier does not charge for Scheduled/Enhanced Delivery. When scheduling your delivery, please indicate a contact phone number in order for the common carrier to ensure timely delivery.

The above mentioned shipping options apply only to purchases made from or fulfilled by Amazon.com that are in stock at the time of purchase. Does not apply to purchases made from other merchants on the Amazon.com website.
post #4376 of 9713
Hi Randy,

When I tried to use the price at another online vendor, whose name I no longer remember, Amazon told me that the pricing was not comparable because I did not add in the $100 for the white glove service from the other vendor, which Amazon provides.

Tom
post #4377 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Red Sox View Post

Hi everyone. I can now say I'm a proud owner of a 65GT50, which is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday morning. I bought it off Amazon after initially buying (paying for but not having delivered) a 65VT50 from Best Buy, which I ended up getting a refund on before delivery (long story explained in the VT price thread). I have a few questions as this is my first plasma (coming from a Toshiba rear projection 46 inch). First, the fright carrier sent an email that said they do not install the stand onto the tv, they only plug it in to make sure it's working. Living alone, I'd never be able to install the stand and get the tv onto it by myself, so do you think they will do it if I tip them? What would be a good tip for them helping me out in this way?

Thanks for any help that can be thrown this way.

The company that delivered my 65GT50 also said the same thing but here's what I did and they had no issues with it, so you may as well try the same thing.

While they were unboxing and getting the power cable to test the set (they can do that while the TV is still in the box), I quickly put the stand together with a screw driver (it took a couple of minutes). By the time they were done, I just asked them to help me carry the panel onto the stand which they were more than happy to do it, and after that I just quickly screwed in the last 4 screws connecting the stand to the back of the TV. After that they also helped me lift it up and place it on my media cabinet. They seem to be mostly limited by time so if you have everything ready to go they usually won't have any issues helping you lift the set in your house. I'd offer them a few bucks for their troubles, although in my case they strictly declined and said they were happy to do it even though it wasn't part of their responsibility.
post #4378 of 9713
To get a head start on assembling the base as ATC7 did, download the Setup guide at http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P50GT50?t=manuals&support#tabs.

Tom
post #4379 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

How did you get White Glove Delivery? They haven't offered White Glove in over 5 years and i don't see it as an option when ordering a TV. The best they have is Enhanced Delivery, and with that all their drivers are required to do is unpack the TV and plug it in to make sure it works. They normally don't assemble the stand or place it on your table etc, when they deliver it but sometimes the local carrier does this for you when they deliver the TV.
From Amazon's website:
Schedule Your Own Delivery Time and Enhanced Delivery
Most customers can now schedule their own delivery day--including weekends--and a two- to four-hour window for delivery (dependent upon Zip Code) with a common carrier when they purchase most HDTVs 50 inches or larger from Amazon.com.
Pick Your Own Delivery Time Scheduled Delivery is currently available for select TVs 50 inches or larger to most U.S. (lower 48 states, not including Alaska and Hawaii) Zip Codes. If the service is available for your order, "Scheduled Delivery" will appear on the detail page and as a shipping option during checkout. Simply select a delivery date and time from the carrier's available time slots displayed in the calendar. Delivery is provided by a common carrier.
These TVs also qualify for Enhanced Delivery. With Enhanced Delivery, a representative of the common carrier will bring your TV to any room suitable for testing, unpack it, and ensure that it is working properly to guarantee no damage occurred during transportation.
The carrier does not charge for Scheduled/Enhanced Delivery. When scheduling your delivery, please indicate a contact phone number in order for the common carrier to ensure timely delivery.
The above mentioned shipping options apply only to purchases made from or fulfilled by Amazon.com that are in stock at the time of purchase. Does not apply to purchases made from other merchants on the Amazon.com website.

I did not extra to get this today. The young man came in, unpacked the item, set up the stand, connected it to power and the two HDMI cables I offered, and fired it up. Does that qualify as White Glove? Don't know - he didn't have gloves on!
post #4380 of 9713
Thanks for all the advice guys. And an FYI, the 3D glasses are down to $51 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007EHI1DK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]