or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 150

post #4471 of 9714
I just pulled the trigger on a 60gt50!!! Will be here Tuesday. Anything I need to know? Thanks in advance
post #4472 of 9714
I just pulled the trigger on a 60gt50!!! Will be here Tuesday. Anything I need to know? Thanks in advance
post #4473 of 9714
I just pulled the trigger on a 60gt50!!! Will be here Tuesday. Anything I need to know? Thanks in advance
post #4474 of 9714
I just pulled the trigger on a 60gt50!!! Will be here Tuesday. Anything I need to know? Thanks in advance
post #4475 of 9714
Sorry phone was messing up.
post #4476 of 9714
I'm seriously considering this TV (going back and forth between this and an LCD, actually), but the IR really concerns me. Problem is, I host some gaming "parties" with my friends once or twice a week, and we can end up playing a single game for 4-5 hours a night. A game like NHL, for example, has the score displaying at the top left throughout (or most of the time), so I feel like bouts with IR are almost a guarantee. I know this would end up really bothering me, even if I like the set otherwise. Is this TV (or any plasma) just not for me?
post #4477 of 9714
You answered your own question, if you don't really care about picture quality and more about gaming than go and get the LCD. You won't have to worry about IR at all. That is not to say you will get it with plasma, I game for about 2-3 hrs on weekends sometimes and never had a problem. 5 hrs is quite a bit , but even if you do get some it's temporary. Good luck.
post #4478 of 9714
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro5135` View Post

I called Panasonic and emailed the pics and they said there definitely is a problem. Im gonna wait to speak with a tech to decided if I want return it or fix it. Only bought it 5 days ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro5135` View Post

I called Panasonic and emailed the pics and they said there definitely is a problem. Im gonna wait to speak with a tech to decided if I want return it or fix it. Only bought it 5 days ago.

Return it and get a new one.
post #4479 of 9714
I know some have purchased an extended warranty on this TV. Got my TV about 3 weeks ago and I'm still debating on getting a warranty. What warranty company would be a good one to go with??
post #4480 of 9714
I just had my 55" GT50 delivered yesterday, and unfortunately my unit has the bothersome buzz. At our viewing distance of 10 feet, the buzz is easily audible when bright images are displayed and the sound from our sound bar is subdued. I would say that for about 75% of the viewing experience, I cannot hear the buzz because the sound bar is drowning it out. The remaining 25% of the time, the buzz is distracting. Perhaps the most annoying point is when fast-forwarding a show on my DVR: the sound is silent and the screen brightness is varying rapidly... the buzz is just silly as it rapidly changes intensity in step with the brightness.

Is the best approach to return the unit (to Amazon) and hope the replacement is buzz-free? Or should I contact Panasonic and hope that a technician can permanently fix the issue? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

The picture is indeed stunning, and I want to stick with the GT50, but if I can't get a resolution on the buzz then I guess I'll have to look elsewhere.
post #4481 of 9714
My 60GT50 arrived on Wednesday and it's up and mounted (I know, not perfect, but better for the room dynamics). And wow, it's beautiful. I thought my old reliable Hitachi 51S500 was nice. This TV blows it away. No issues whatsoever. I watched the Rutgers game last night (so damn frustrating!) and the picture was beautiful and immersive. Have watched Iron Man on Blu-Ray a couple of times thanks to my boys and it's even better. I can't say enough good things so far about the TV. It's phenomenal.
post #4482 of 9714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caice7134 View Post

I just had my 55" GT50 delivered yesterday, and unfortunately my unit has the bothersome buzz. At our viewing distance of 10 feet, the buzz is easily audible when bright images are displayed and the sound from our sound bar is subdued. I would say that for about 75% of the viewing experience, I cannot hear the buzz because the sound bar is drowning it out. The remaining 25% of the time, the buzz is distracting. Perhaps the most annoying point is when fast-forwarding a show on my DVR: the sound is silent and the screen brightness is varying rapidly... the buzz is just silly as it rapidly changes intensity in step with the brightness.
Is the best approach to return the unit (to Amazon) and hope the replacement is buzz-free? Or should I contact Panasonic and hope that a technician can permanently fix the issue? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
The picture is indeed stunning, and I want to stick with the GT50, but if I can't get a resolution on the buzz then I guess I'll have to look elsewhere.
I would exchange it. There have been numerous reports of panel buzz not being audible from more than just a few feet away so you have a decent chance of the replacement having a softer buzz.
post #4483 of 9714
I am getting my GT on Monday ..So what exactly is the deal with "the buzz" ...I currently have an S2 and there is no buzz to speak of..I guess one has to experience it for themselves to get a real understanding of how annoying it can be..I just honestly can't imagine it being so bad that one would have to return it..I wonder why can't panasonic put their finger on the problem and solve it?
post #4484 of 9714
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedthemachine View Post

I am getting my GT on Monday ..So what exactly is the deal with "the buzz" ...I currently have an S2 and there is no buzz to speak of..I guess one has to experience it for themselves to get a real understanding of how annoying it can be..I just honestly can't imagine it being so bad that one would have to return it..I wonder why can't panasonic put their finger on the problem and solve it?

I can only speak from my experience, but perhaps it's similar to what others have heard. Is it a manufacturing issue? The fact that others have non-buzzing displays sort of points in that direction; if it was a design flaw then perhaps the issue would be more widespread. You are right about having to hear it for yourself to realize how annoying it is. I'd be fine with it if it was a constant "whirrrrr" of a fan or something like that, but the harsher buzz sound is bothersome.

Having just received mine yesterday, I'm going to see how I feel about it over the weekend, and then figure out a course of action. I may try to exchange it; if the newly exchanged unit has the same symptoms, I'll contact Panasonic about a plan of attack.
post #4485 of 9714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedthemachine View Post

I am getting my GT on Monday ..So what exactly is the deal with "the buzz" ...I currently have an S2 and there is no buzz to speak of..I guess one has to experience it for themselves to get a real understanding of how annoying it can be..I just honestly can't imagine it being so bad that one would have to return it..I wonder why can't panasonic put their finger on the problem and solve it?

Because buzzing is caused by a defect in one of several possible electronic components inside the TV. When a manufacturer buys tens of thousands of capacitors and coils for use in their various PCB boards and power supplies etc there is no way to know if one of them is defective or if one of them will fail once the TV is powered up. A 4% defect rate is acceptable in the Electronics Manufacturing industry and any TV that buzzes from more than a foot or two away is in that 4% defective group.

Last year my friend's first ST30 buzzed loudly right out of the box so we refused it and made the driver put it back on his truck despite his protests. His replacement a week later was virtually silent, as it should be. Bottom line - if you receive a buzzer, refuse it, return it, or have it repaired because you should not be able to hear any buzzing from anywhere near a normal viewing distance in a silent room.


http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415500/panasonic-gt50-buzzing-poll/30
post #4486 of 9714
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedthemachine View Post

I am getting my GT on Monday ..So what exactly is the deal with "the buzz" ...I currently have an S2 and there is no buzz to speak of..I guess one has to experience it for themselves to get a real understanding of how annoying it can be..I just honestly can't imagine it being so bad that one would have to return it..I wonder why can't panasonic put their finger on the problem and solve it?
You can only hear it when a white screen is being displayed and the volume is mute or very low. I don't know why that is considered so annoying. Why does someone want to watch TV with the sound off??? If that is the most important consideration when buying a new TV, I wouldn't buy a plasma.
post #4487 of 9714
So this is kinda interesting..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsicYOXVqDA
Look at all the positive comments saying it worked?
I wonder?
post #4488 of 9714
i use verizon fios as my isp and get 40Mb download and 35Mb upload speeds on my pc. running the same speed tests at www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ [from the closest server] with the gt50's built-in browser, the download is around 5.5Mb and upload around 8Mb and it doesn't get much faster than that. the tv is using a wired ethernet connection to the router.

is this just a limitation of the tv's browser software or is there something that can be done for improvement? would this also be an indication of the [speed] of streaming videos from the pc or other devices? i'm not saying the built-in browser is slow or i have problems with smoothly streaming large 1080p files from the pc ... i'm just curious to know if your down/up speeds from are about the same too or if they are actually closer to your pc's.

the other thing i wanted some clarification on is streaming 1080p mkv dts files. i've found out the video section of the file will play but not the dts audio. i have to convert the audio portion to ac3 5.1 digital then it'll play fine but i don't know as to the 'why'. is this a limitation of the TV or windows 7 media player/center streaming or hdmi cabling or something else?

i'd appreciate your input ... would help to alleviate some of the fog in my brain -temporarily.
post #4489 of 9714
Has anyone tried using a USB keyboard? Does typing work? The e-help guide isn't clear on what is/isn't supported.
post #4490 of 9714
Yes, keyboard works but I could not make mousepad work, so you also need to use the TV remote to get to where you have to key in the characters. I used it on the TV's browser but it was a pain to use, although less of a pain than without the keyboard.

I gave up trying to use the browser. I am waiting to install a PanasonicDMP-BDT220 before trying to stream from Vudu. I lost the direct link to Vudu on the TV's browser and I did not want to restore the original setup.
post #4491 of 9714
I bought the warranty from Squaretrade. Got it through Costco website (even though I am not a member). $99 for 3 years. For some reason, Costco extends it an extra year so including Panasonic warranty you are covered for five years. I have not had to use them so I cannot comment on their service.
post #4492 of 9714
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1996 View Post

Yes, keyboard works but I could not make mousepad work, so you also need to use the TV remote to get to where you have to key in the characters. I used it on the TV's browser but it was a pain to use, although less of a pain than without the keyboard.
I gave up trying to use the browser. I am waiting to install a PanasonicDMP-BDT220 before trying to stream from Vudu. I lost the direct link to Vudu on the TV's browser and I did not want to restore the original setup.

When you say mousepad... you were using something like this?

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400
post #4493 of 9714
Quote:
Originally Posted by larvaboy View Post

When you say mousepad... you were using something like this?
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400

Yes, that is the exact keyboard I have.
post #4494 of 9714
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro5135` View Post

Here are a couple more for a blue ray source, whats even more odd is if I switch between mode 2 & 1 back to 2 the lines can change width and sometimes go away on one side or both.
I can't think of a reason not to return a new display doing anything like what you are seeing.
post #4495 of 9714
I've had my 50" GT50 since May and have been happy with it in every respect. However, yesterday it suddenly developed the occasional loud buzz that so many here have discussed. It's strange, because when it happens, it is on light scenes, but it doesn't always buzz on every light scene. When it does buzz, it is definitely audible above my stereo's speakers at 12-15 feet.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #4496 of 9714
Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post

I've had my 50" GT50 since May and have been happy with it in every respect. However, yesterday it suddenly developed the occasional loud buzz that so many here have discussed. It's strange, because when it happens, it is on light scenes, but it doesn't always buzz on every light scene. When it does buzz, it is definitely audible above my stereo's speakers at 12-15 feet.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That sounds similar to what I am experiencing with my new display right out of the box. I too can hear it on bright scenes above background music. I noticed this morning that the buzz is loudest when sitting (10 ft away) directly in front of the TV; if I move just a couple feet left or right, the buzz is less noticeable. I still think I'm going to exchange it for a new one since I'm still within the return period, but it's concerning to hear about cases where the buzz suddenly begins after months of use.
post #4497 of 9714
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedthemachine View Post

So this is kinda interesting..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsicYOXVqDA
Look at all the positive comments saying it worked?
I wonder?

So i assume nobody has tried this ..
If i get a buzzer on Monday i'll try it and let everyone know
post #4498 of 9714
I would suggest sending it back rather than try a repair yourself, it may void your warranty. Or you could call Panasonic and have them repair it and ask Panasonic about tightening the screw.
post #4499 of 9714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedthemachine View Post

So i assume nobody has tried this ..

If you read the various 2012 threads and search the forum in general you'll find that loose board mounting screws has been one of the many different possible causes of excessive buzzing over the past several years and a few people here have had their screws tightened by a Panasonic technician, or had them replaced with a new improved version that don't vibrate loose and that successfully stopped the buzzing. That video you posted is old and we've seen it a dozen times. There are more too.

The guy that came to fix the sudden buzz on my friend's ST30 last year first tried tightening the screws and said this is one of the common causes, but they were already tight so he replaced the whole board and that fixed it.

Quote:
......If i get a buzzer on Monday i'll try it and let everyone know

I would not do that. The chance that loose screws is causing the buzzing is pretty small - it's more likely being caused by a defect in one of the dozens of coils on the various boards, or a bad power supply, or a bad plasma panel. Loose screws are rare. Also by removing the back of your TV you void your warranty and any future warranty technician will see evidence of it's prior removal, so if you get a buzzer just return it for a replacement or refund, or call Panasonic and hope their local technician is (A) capable of properly diagnosing it, (B) capable of properly fixing it, and (C) has good hearing so that he doesn't proclaim the buzzing to be within acceptable tolerances and closes your case without actually fixing the buzzing. Repair parts are sometimes backordered for 1-4 weeks too so there's a chance you'll have to wait for them to arrive then hope that they correct the problem.
post #4500 of 9714
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotatoughguy View Post

... 1080p mkv dts files. i've found out the video section of the file will play but not the dts audio. i have to convert the audio portion to ac3 5.1 digital then it'll play fine but i don't know as to the 'why'. is this a limitation of the TV or windows 7 media player/center streaming or hdmi cabling or something else?
i'd appreciate your input ... would help to alleviate some of the fog in my brain -temporarily.

DTS audio is not supported by any of the Panasonic xT-50 models.

In my opinion, the best way to do this is to get a separate media player box with HDMI connected to the GT50 for video and a separate cable to your AV reciever for the full DTS sound capability. Skip the streaming entirely and just play it directly from the media center. If you are simply playing the audio from the TV's speakers, then dumbing down the DTS to AC3 is fine because you are missing most of the audio quality anyway.

If you have a recent BlueRay player hooked up, it may also do DLNA streaming and will certainly have a DTS decoder.

If you want the DTS sound track, you must bypass the TV. Panasonic saved themselves a few bucks by not paying for a DTS license and passed the burden of figuring out what to do to the customers.

If you do go the DTS-to-AC3 route, there are some very simple PC programs that will do the entire process of stripping, converting, and re-muxing the MKV without touching the video. The whole process will take about 12-15 min for a full length movie on my i7 based lap-top. The other alternative is to completely re-encode the entire MKV and many hours of cpu time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]