or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 159

post #4741 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyStr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 View Post

I've posted this earlier, about a month ago but FWIW I'l post it again.
I went through 3 60GT50s in the spring, all of them buzzed horribly, where you can hear the buzzing at viewing distance over audio, even from 20 ft away. Returned all three and waited till last month when I got a 65GT50-2 and the buzzing on this unit is very subdued in comparison. Yes it still buzzes on bright/white screens but it's very hard to hear over even low volume audio, which is totally normal. It could be a total coincidence but my suspicion is that they may have tightened QA a little with the "-2" line. A total guess on my part of course.

set up the new (3rd) GT50 last night...no buzzing except as you say in bright white scenes or back grounds. Do you think this will go a way or quiet a bit after the tv break in period? Maybe th phosphors will not be burning/working so hard?

Unfortunately, no I don't believe buzzing subsides over time; you're stuck with the level of buzz the set has now. Having said that, buzzing is very normal in Plasmas when a high power draw occurs (e.g. during predominantly white/bright scenes). There are several technical documents from Panasonic and Pioneer (from when they made Kuros) that describe what causes it, and no it's not a loose screw somewhere although that has been on occasion the source of some form of buzzing.

I have yet to see a plasma that has zero buzz and I've seen a lot of PDPs. No everyone can hear the buzzing, as it varies with room environment, one's own hearing profile and it varies in strength and frequency which is why some people can't hear it. My wife for example, who has good hearing, cannot hear it unless she puts her head near or at the back of the panel. In my experience, normal buzzing should not be heard over audio from normal viewing position. If you can, then the set's buzzing is out of tolerance and should be looked at by a tech or have the set replaced.
post #4742 of 9713
This may not be the right thread, but, what 3d glasses are y'all using with your gt50?
post #4743 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethematrix View Post

This may not be the right thread, but, what 3d glasses are y'all using with your gt50?

The Panasonic glasses are preferred by most users. There are cheaper alternatives but aside from price, I haven't seen a single person suggest that anyone has a better alternative.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-ER3D4MU-Active-Shutter-Eyewear/dp/B007EHI1DK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355457433&sr=1-1&keywords=panasonic+2012+3d+glasses
post #4744 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethematrix View Post

This may not be the right thread, but, what 3d glasses are y'all using with your gt50?
I use the ones tpollagi linked and their prices fluctuate like the wind it seems. They are very light and comfortable. The 3D on bluray is amazing. Youtube has some good stuff too. Cable 3D is just okay. I didn't plan on watching much 3D, but I've been pleasantly surprised.
post #4745 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1996 View Post

But some of us have no buzzing. I would send it back and get a refund or another sample.
I'm already on my 2nd that buzzes the same as the 1st. Regardless, I'm leaning on sending it back. Not sure if i'll get a replacement or just a refund. I keep hearing about panels that have no/minimal buzzing and also about multiple exchanges that all buzz. If I get a 3rd buzzer, then i think I'll just have to look elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

I have head this same story over and over. I have no idea why these techs insist that buzzing is normal for all PDP's when many / most have nearly no buzzing at all.
I guess it's normal for a tech to hear nothing but buzzing TV's since few people call them to repair a functional unit. My set makes nearly zero buzz. On a bright white screen when the power supply is being pushed hard, I can hear a faint buzz from 2 - 3 feet away in a quiet room with the audio off. Under normal viewing from my usual position it's dead quiet.
I would be perfectly happy with your set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 View Post

I have yet to see a plasma that has zero buzz and I've seen a lot of PDPs. No everyone can hear the buzzing, as it varies with room environment, one's own hearing profile and it varies in strength and frequency which is why some people can't hear it. My wife for example, who has good hearing, cannot hear it unless she puts her head near or at the back of the panel. In my experience, normal buzzing should not be heard over audio from normal viewing position. If you can, then the set's buzzing is out of tolerance and should be looked at by a tech or have the set replaced.
I am inclined to believe that there is a big variation in the buzzing level of different panels. Don't think it likely that all the various experiences with buzzing can be attributed to hearing differences. The question is, how much tolerance do I have for exchanges?
post #4746 of 9713
I just received my 55gt50 two days ago. Beautiful picture. In regards to buzzing. The only time I can hear it is if I put my ear to the back of the lower left corner of the TV. Its very faint. I wouldn't even have noticed if if I wasn't checking for it. I guess I got lucky.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
post #4747 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tvsonecup View Post

I am inclined to believe that there is a big variation in the buzzing level of different panels. Don't think it likely that all the various experiences with buzzing can be attributed to hearing differences. The question is, how much tolerance do I have for exchanges?

You are correct, and hope you didn't assume otherwise from my post. I've said in my previous post that I went through 3 60GT50 that all had an abnormal amount of buzzing, and all three were returned. My last post was mostly dealing with the "normal" plasma buzz, which may or may not be heard due to various factors. Do remember that the buzzing I'm talking about is the one that's caused by high power draw, which is when the screen is displaying predominantly white or very bright scenes. That varies from set to set and from my own experience it should not be heard from normal viewing distance, over audio.
post #4748 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Connect all HDMI source devices to the receiver then run one HDMI cable to the set. Connecting to the set and using digital optical out from the set to the receiver strips out the surround sound audio formats and thus feeds only two channel audio from the set to the receiver. Only go that route for content from the tv's tuner or internet apps. If your new receiver has ARC you can use that instead of the optical cable but setup is trickier.

Thank you very much sir.
post #4749 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Sloan View Post

No break-in, no slides, no calibration, no buzzing and no IR from watching a great deal of 4:3 content. This is music to my ears. I read in the eHelp manual that Panasonic recommends you set the 4:3 side bars mode to "Bright." Of the four possible settings, "Off/Dark/Med/Bright", which side bars setting did you opt for? Continued good luck with your GT50 and thank you for sharing your impressions.

I have it set at the default it came with and have no more idea than that. I will check and get back to you in a private mail.
post #4750 of 9713
BB delivered my 65GT50 yesterday - April2012 date on the back. Thought I had a silent one until I tried the XBOX, then I started to hear some buzzing from 8 feet away. Every time I go to shut down the XBOX (hold center controller button down) that white pop-up box triggers the buzzing. Exchange delivery scheduled for Sunday.
post #4751 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedthemachine View Post

Glad to hear it ....Is it less noticeable with this one though?IDK if it will go away

Its still noticeable on bright white screen scenes.
post #4752 of 9713
I hear a little buzzing during intense light scenes if I am close to the TV and the volume is way down or muted. After reading others' experiences, I can't imagine exchanging my TV just over that. I think we all have to pick our battles when it comes to what we are going to be anal about...
post #4753 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by one321 View Post

I hear a little buzzing during intense light scenes if I am close to the TV and the volume is way down or muted. After reading others' experiences, I can't imagine exchanging my TV just over that. I think we all have to pick our battles when it comes to what we are going to be anal about...

I would be pleased if my GT50 operated the same as what you describe. However, on my panel it doesn't take an intense light scene for me to hear the buzzing from 10 - 15 feet away. Yes, the brighter the scene the louder the buzzing, so dark scense I cannot hear the buzz. I'm not being anal about the buzzing sound; there is no way this is acceptable for a TV to operate in this manner. As has been stated before, I believe there is a massive variation in the amount of buzzing that each panel exhibits. So far in the panel lottery I have been rewarded with two loud buzzers. A tech is coming next Friday to "service" my panel, but I'm not going to get my hopes up that he/she can do anything other than say "all PDPs buzz."
post #4754 of 9713
Good luck with it! I'll have to pay attention off and on to see if mine ever gets worse to the point I should get it warrantied while it's still covered.
post #4755 of 9713
When trying to stream content to the tv I find that the content is played back very choppy. Is this just mine or are others seeing the same? YouTube playback is also unwatchable. frown.gif
post #4756 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneyhouston View Post

When trying to stream content to the tv I find that the content is played back very choppy. Is this just mine or are others seeing the same? YouTube playback is also unwatchable. frown.gif
Sounds like an internet provider/connection issue? Using the tv apps or streaming some other way?
post #4757 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneyhouston View Post

When trying to stream content to the tv I find that the content is played back very choppy. Is this just mine or are others seeing the same? YouTube playback is also unwatchable. frown.gif
My content plays fine over Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, and DLNA streaming with PS3 Media Server (the latest version of Plex appears to have Panny issues with pausing and fast forwarding starting the video from the beginning). I have mine hooked up over Ethernet, which I wouldn't doubt would result in better performance.
post #4758 of 9713
Tried to stream some music with the built in browser. Signed into mog.com but could never log on. I suspect the browser is just not compatible with mog.com. mad.gif
post #4759 of 9713
I have uverse and using wifi
post #4760 of 9713
Anyone watched TRON Legacy in 3D? I believe this movie would be one of those movie where crosstalk could be a problem. I don't own a Blu-Ray player yet but that's on my list for 2013.

Like I wrote here a few months ago, I see crosstalk/ghosting with some pictures taken with both my Fujifilm REAL 3D W1/W3 cameras and even provided you a link to a picture exhibiting this for those who wanted to test it out.

Now I'm curious if I will have this problem with movies and I think I will because I watched a 3D movie for the 1st time 2 weeks ago, that was broadcasted, and I could see crosstalk sometimes. Unless Blu-Ray movies are different than broadcasted ones?
post #4761 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post

Anyone watched TRON Legacy in 3D? I believe this movie would be one of those movie where crosstalk could be a problem. I don't own a Blu-Ray player yet but that's on my list for 2013.
Like I wrote here a few months ago, I see crosstalk/ghosting with some pictures taken with both my Fujifilm REAL 3D W1/W3 cameras and even provided you a link to a picture exhibiting this for those who wanted to test it out.
Now I'm curious if I will have this problem with movies and I think I will because I watched a 3D movie for the 1st time 2 weeks ago, that was broadcasted, and I could see crosstalk sometimes. Unless Blu-Ray movies are different than broadcasted ones?

I have watched tangled and finding nemo in 3D so far ,Yeah i have kids smile.gif ,both are amazing ..
Just got a plan with 3Dblu-ray rental and I'm waiting for Spider-man 3D ..Can't really say what the difference is between broadcast and disc are.I only watched a few 2D-3D converted broadcast(mostly football games) and they were just OK..
I will say normal blu-ray disc converted to 3D with the TV isn't all that bad though
post #4762 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by one321 View Post

I hear a little buzzing during intense light scenes if I am close to the TV and the volume is way down or muted. After reading others' experiences, I can't imagine exchanging my TV just over that. I think we all have to pick our battles when it comes to what we are going to be anal about...

That's kind of the way I feel, too. I hear buzzing on white scenes, but it isn't so disturbing that I would consider returning it. Some people may have different perceptions of how much buzzing is acceptable and how much is not.
post #4763 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post

Anyone watched TRON Legacy in 3D? I believe this movie would be one of those movie where crosstalk could be a problem. I don't own a Blu-Ray player yet but that's on my list for 2013.
Like I wrote here a few months ago, I see crosstalk/ghosting with some pictures taken with both my Fujifilm REAL 3D W1/W3 cameras and even provided you a link to a picture exhibiting this for those who wanted to test it out.
Now I'm curious if I will have this problem with movies and I think I will because I watched a 3D movie for the 1st time 2 weeks ago, that was broadcasted, and I could see crosstalk sometimes. Unless Blu-Ray movies are different than broadcasted ones?

With bluray (pana dmp-bdt220) you can choose 48Hz under the 24p setting in the TV settings menu. I like this setting on 3D only as it makes crosstalk virtually non-existent and I don't notice any flicker at all. On any other source (cable, internet apps, etc...) the 24p mode is usually grayed out so stuck with 60Hz and crosstalk. It's not bad though, certainly doable for the kid, he doesn't notice it. Youtube has some really good 3D stuff worth checking out
post #4764 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedthemachine View Post

I have watched tangled and finding nemo in 3D so far ,Yeah i have kids smile.gif ,both are amazing ..
Just got a plan with 3Dblu-ray rental and I'm waiting for Spider-man 3D ..Can't really say what the difference is between broadcast and disc are.I only watched a few 2D-3D converted broadcast(mostly football games) and they were just OK..
I will say normal blu-ray disc converted to 3D with the TV isn't all that bad though

3d blu ray rental? What plan is this? smile.gif
post #4765 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

3d blu ray rental? What plan is this? smile.gif

http://stores.3d-blurayrental.com/StoreFront.bok
post #4766 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1996 View Post

I think I was the one who posted about a wireless headphones connected to the optical output via an $83 digital audio decoder. I'd be interested in finding out if there are wireless headphones that can connect to the TV via Bluetooth.
Today I received my bluetooth headphones. From Amazon I purchased a set of Creative WP-450's. At first I plugged them into my iPod Touch and paired them. Worked and played perfect. I then went into Setup on my GT50 and selected Bluetooth settings. Selected Bluetooth Devices and it quickly found my 450's. When I went to connect them it asked for a password. I entered 0000 as is a standard for many devices. It synced perfectly. The GT50 will mute its speakers and the master volume from the TV will change from just volume to Bluetooth volume. They sounded fine to my ears. No lip sync issues. Hope this helps anyone interested in using BT headphones.
post #4767 of 9713
People are getting crazy with returning this tv for buzzing. CRTs do it to especially when the screen has lots of white in it, which is almost never unless you are watching hockey or a movie that take place in the snow. It is the way plasmas are.
post #4768 of 9713
My panel has NO BUZZING. If I would have gotten one that had noticeable buzzing I would have returned it too. Whats the point of paying so much money for something that is defective. The fact that people like me have received buzzless sets tells you that it isn't normal.
post #4769 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro5135` View Post

People are getting crazy with returning this tv for buzzing. CRTs do it to especially when the screen has lots of white in it, which is almost never unless you are watching hockey or a movie that take place in the snow. It is the way plasmas are.
Some panels buzz not only when there is lots of white but any time there is a bright scene, which happens all the time. And when the buzzing can be heard from 12 feet away, it can get very annoying.
post #4770 of 9713
I've had my set for two weeks now. Purchase from best buy. Nov 12 build date (!). No buzzing, no problems at all. Seems like no IR issues either. Best picture quality I've seen on a tv. Had an LG 55Lm9600 for a month before returning it for this. That was a beautiful looking display, but there was so much flash lighting and uneven backlighting it wasn't funny. This set has the most even blacks I've seen. Totally happy with this set. Maybe newer models don't have the same issues?
Edited by mrloopy - 12/16/12 at 8:58am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]