or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 169

post #5041 of 9713
Sad to say, this TV is going back. A word to all, ignore anyone who claims either IR or burn in are no longer a problem. These are people either with vision issues, sitting too far away to notice discernible detail or just flat out lying.

We've had the GT50 since the week after Black Friday. With settings reduced (brightness contrast), we watched a variety of content and ran the slides while sleeping or not using the TV (not while away). In all, I would guess we've had the slides running 225+ hours. Mind you, this doesn't include normal viewing.

Last night, we had an emergency with one of our dogs and had to rush out of the home for about 20 minutes. I left a copy of Dead Nation running on the PS3 (screen dimmed to under half brightness after a few minutes), when I came home I saw what I assumed to be IR. Immediately, I ran the slides for the rest of the evening and all night. This morning, the image is still clearly visible on almost all slide colors.

At this point, I still notice it even during a Bluray, I am inclined to call this burn-in. Seeing as how I have a 90 day return with BB, it's going back. I am not going to curb my viewing experience for marginally better blacks and absolutely no other perks.

If I cant leave something on this TV for 20 minutes, how the hell do you watch a movie with black bars?

PQ was great, as it is on virtually all high end TV's...
Edited by Pyrophoric - 12/31/12 at 8:06am
post #5042 of 9713
Really enjoying this set (65gt50), it's beautiful, and has only gotten better now that I have ~232 hrs. I've tried all the settings extensively and have settled on cnets. When the room is bright blackops updated 35fL settings look best, but at night any black bars have a blueish hue to them. Cnets are inky, at the cost of a dimmer daytime pic.

As for IR or any retention at all? Not even a chance. Clean and crisp from day 1. I have driven the wife crazy these first 200 hrs zooming material and avoiding bars, but it was worth it! Now we watch everything in "full" and it is mint :-)
post #5043 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdan View Post

Really enjoying this set (65gt50), it's beautiful, and has only gotten better now that I have ~232 hrs. I've tried all the settings extensively and have settled on cnets. When the room is bright blackops updated 35fL settings look best, but at night any black bars have a blueish hue to them. Cnets are inky, at the cost of a dimmer daytime pic.
As for IR or any retention at all? Not even a chance. Clean and crisp from day 1. I have driven the wife crazy these first 200 hrs zooming material and avoiding bars, but it was worth it! Now we watch everything in "full" and it is mint :-)

You must have vision problems then or watch from very far away rolleyes.gif
post #5044 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

You must have vision problems then or watch from very far away rolleyes.gif

I'd guess flat out lying, but yeah it could be one of the other two things. Add to that list, delusional and now we're talking.

I was stupid enough to ignore the few honest out there who realized this is still an issue, so just passing my own 2 cents along hoping others wont make my mistake. If you do, just have a decent return policy.
post #5045 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post

I disagree, I have bought tvs from amazon before. Its so simple, first the price is cheaper, they have a 14 day price match, 30 day return policy (have returned two tvs, to them, so hassle free), you don't have to pay taxes depending on where you live, and don't have to waste gas or energy at best buy with a stock market share of what is now less than 11.00. You won't have to hear their crap about the best buy credit card either. oh! and you won't have to hear about their directv stupid promos!
Mo!

Sounds like a disgruntled Best Buy stockholder...Did you buy the stock at $30?...

Where I live, you have to pay taxes on Amazon buys. The only sales pitch was for the extended warranty. The biggest bonus for me buying it at Best Buy was that I could pick up a Denon 3313 for $200 less than what Amazon was selling it for! Wasn't expecting that!
post #5046 of 9713
So everyone without ir is lying ? Wow
post #5047 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophoric View Post

Sad to say, this TV is going back. A word to all, ignore anyone who claims either IR or burn in are no longer a problem. These are people either with vision issues, sitting too far away to notice discernible detail or just flat out lying.
We've had the GT50 since the week after Black Friday. With settings reduced (brightness contrast), we watched a variety of content and ran the slides while sleeping or not using the TV (not while away). In all, I would guess we've had the slides running 225+ hours. Mind you, this doesn't include normal viewing.
Last night, we had an emergency with one of our dogs and had to rush out of the home for about 20 minutes. I left a copy of Dead Nation running on the PS3 (screen dimmed to under half brightness after a few minutes), when I came home I saw what I assumed to be IR. Immediately, I ran the slides for the rest of the evening and all night. This morning, the image is still clearly visible on almost all slide colors.
At this point, I still notice it even during a Bluray, I am inclined to call this burn-in. Seeing as how I have a 90 day return with BB, it's going back. I am not going to curb my viewing experience for marginally better blacks and absolutely no other perks.
If I cant leave something on this TV for 20 minutes, how the hell do you watch a movie with black bars?
PQ was great, as it is on virtually all high end TV's...

"Slides running 225+hours, plus normal viewing"...Are you serious, what is that supposed to accomplish? Maybe a little obsessive-compulsive, perhaps?

Hard to believe burn in after 20 minutes. Perhaps you have some wierd lighting or shadows in your room that you haven't realized. I'd suggest you give your TV a break and lay off the all day and night slide running, and see how it looks after several hours of being totally off.
post #5048 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschissler View Post

"Slides running 225+hours, plus normal viewing"...Are you serious, what is that supposed to accomplish? Maybe a little obsessive-compulsive, perhaps?
Hard to believe burn in after 20 minutes. Perhaps you have some wierd lighting or shadows in your room that you haven't realized. I'd suggest you give your TV a break and lay off the all day and night slide running, and see how it looks after several hours of being totally off.

It's hysteria plain and simple, no other explanation for it. Anyone that makes blanket statements like that and then calls everyone that doesn't have the same issue a liar has some serious issues imo, I flagged that post.
post #5049 of 9713
I still think those burn-in slides do more harm than good.

No IR here. But then again, I came from the VT10 that IR'ed everything.
post #5050 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophoric View Post

Sad to say, this TV is going back. A word to all, ignore anyone who claims either IR or burn in are no longer a problem. These are people either with vision issues, sitting too far away to notice discernible detail or just flat out lying.
We've had the GT50 since the week after Black Friday. With settings reduced (brightness contrast), we watched a variety of content and ran the slides while sleeping or not using the TV (not while away). In all, I would guess we've had the slides running 225+ hours. Mind you, this doesn't include normal viewing.
Last night, we had an emergency with one of our dogs and had to rush out of the home for about 20 minutes. I left a copy of Dead Nation running on the PS3 (screen dimmed to under half brightness after a few minutes), when I came home I saw what I assumed to be IR. Immediately, I ran the slides for the rest of the evening and all night. This morning, the image is still clearly visible on almost all slide colors.
At this point, I still notice it even during a Bluray, I am inclined to call this burn-in. Seeing as how I have a 90 day return with BB, it's going back. I am not going to curb my viewing experience for marginally better blacks and absolutely no other perks.
If I cant leave something on this TV for 20 minutes, how the hell do you watch a movie with black bars?
PQ was great, as it is on virtually all high end TV's...
The slides aren't meant to get rid of IR. Normal viewing gets rid of IR.
post #5051 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

I still think those burn-in slides do more harm than good.
No IR here. But then again, I came from the VT10 that IR'ed everything.

One unfortunate side effect of the slides imo is that people are evaluating picture quality, uniformity and traces of IR based on slides. It creates alot of unwarranted worry imo, 95% of the stuff you see on a colored slide you will never see in real world content. Obviously channel logo ir, ir from huds etc that you can clearly see while watching blurays or tv is an exception to that. Also people have the mistaken belief that running the slides makes their sets impervious to IR which is not true at all. My advice break your tv in however you choose and this just watch and enjoy, hunting for flaws never turns out well.
post #5052 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

So everyone without ir is lying ? Wow

Is that what I said? Nope, but close enough I guess...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschissler View Post

"Slides running 225+hours, plus normal viewing"...Are you serious, what is that supposed to accomplish? Maybe a little obsessive-compulsive, perhaps?
Hard to believe burn in after 20 minutes. Perhaps you have some wierd lighting or shadows in your room that you haven't realized. I'd suggest you give your TV a break and lay off the all day and night slide running, and see how it looks after several hours of being totally off.

You tell me, it's suggested on virtually every other plasma thread (exaggeration). As far as obsessive-compulsive, I simply pushed the SD card in when done viewing content, then turned the TV off when we left the house. This, again, a recommendation virtually everywhere on these forums. So no, not obsessive, it's just clearly a strong suggestion almost everywhere I look.

As far as 20 minutes, it's not for me to convince you. I purchased this TV, tried it and these are my results. I am not pushing anyone to another brand or TV type, just saying that a plasma TV does still get IR and burn-in. It's not a myth, it's not based on old knowledge or tech ... it is still a very relevant issue today. Trust me when I say, I am as shocked as you over just 20 minutes.

Yes, the TV is currently off (at work). We'll see after a 9 hour rest..
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

It's hysteria plain and simple, no other explanation for it. Anyone that makes blanket statements like that and then calls everyone that doesn't have the same issue a liar has some serious issues imo, I flagged that post.

Yup, that's exactly what I said. I came here, said everyone is lying and left. My post is absolutely horrible and is a mark against you fine people.

Give me a break, I am an honest owner who feels duped by misinformation from not only manufacturers but forum members. One member swears about a break-in period, another says is obsessive. I followed directions as best I could and these are the results I got.

If you want to cry about my post and make it out to be more than it is, go for it. Flag away and get my horrid post removed.... :/ I think you're just upset because I am right, but whatever...
Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

The slides aren't meant to get rid of IR. Normal viewing gets rid of IR.

And what official or unofficial document discloses that info? Between all the posts here and on Panny support forums, no one knows what the real solution for any of this crap is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

One unfortunate side effect of the slides imo is that people are evaluating picture quality, uniformity and traces of IR based on slides. It creates alot of unwarranted worry imo, 95% of the stuff you see on a colored slide you will never see in real world content. Obviously channel logo ir, ir from huds etc that you can clearly see while watching blurays or tv is an exception to that. Also people have the mistaken belief that running the slides makes their sets impervious to IR which is not true at all. My advice break your tv in however you choose and this just watch and enjoy, hunting for flaws never turns out well.

I was not putting on slides to find a problem, simply prevent an issue for leaving a semi static image on for 20 minutes. Yes, I still see the IR/Burn-in the next morning viewing regular content, that is what bothers me. Maybe because I know what I am looking for, my eyes find it easily. The point is still the same, with a plasma I have an issue where I can see a retained image on my normal program viewing. If I could not see the image when viewing regular content, I wouldn't have much of an issue. I say much, because it technically still is an issue. Comparing an LCD to a Plasma, you'd never see a situation remotely like this.

If a 20 min image is an issue great enough to see it the following day for any reason, it stands to reason that watching a Bluray (w/black bars) for 1-3 hours will serious mess this thing up.

Anyways, remove my posts or do whatever the hell you want. This is my 2 cents towards plasma tech ... or at least the GT50. So I have no further business in this thread cause my TV is being taken back ... SEE YA!
post #5053 of 9713
The only time I see IR on my 60GT50 is when I leave the PS3 on the dashboard for a few minutes. Then when I start a movie/game and the screen goes black while loading, I can see the IR of boxes from the dashboard. It goes away though...I'm not too worried. I've had the set since release and am currently using Black Ops settings.
post #5054 of 9713
Sorry about your luck. Before you send it back you should try running a pixar movie using a high contrast setting. I have to wonder about the slides exercising the pixels to some extreme. When a slide is up the ABL could be kicking in and reducing the pixel brightness but when running regular content the affected pixels can go to a brighter level at times. Thinking that a smaller area is allowed to go brighter. Anyway this abuse should subside with normal use. After about 500 hours these tv's get much better about this but all panels and usage can be different.

I ran the first year of my ST30's life using a windowed video(black bars all around) about 80% of the time and there's no sign (last time was a few months ago)of it on the screen using slides or content and looking up close.
post #5055 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophoric View Post

Is that what I said? Nope, but close enough I guess...
You tell me, it's suggested on virtually every other plasma thread (exaggeration). As far as obsessive-compulsive, I simply pushed the SD card in when done viewing content, then turned the TV off when we left the house. This, again, a recommendation virtually everywhere on these forums. So no, not obsessive, it's just clearly a strong suggestion almost everywhere I look.
As far as 20 minutes, it's not for me to convince you. I purchased this TV, tried it and these are my results. I am not pushing anyone to another brand or TV type, just saying that a plasma TV does still get IR and burn-in. It's not a myth, it's not based on old knowledge or tech ... it is still a very relevant issue today. Trust me when I say, I am as shocked as you over just 20 minutes.
Yes, the TV is currently off (at work). We'll see after a 9 hour rest..
Yup, that's exactly what I said. I came here, said everyone is lying and left. My post is absolutely horrible and is a mark against you fine people.
Give me a break, I am an honest owner who feels duped by misinformation from not only manufacturers but forum members. One member swears about a break-in period, another says is obsessive. I followed directions as best I could and these are the results I got.
If you want to cry about my post and make it out to be more than it is, go for it. Flag away and get my horrid post removed.... :/ I think you're just upset because I am right, but whatever...
And what official or unofficial document discloses that info? Between all the posts here and on Panny support forums, no one knows what the real solution for any of this crap is...
I was not putting on slides to find a problem, simply prevent an issue for leaving a semi static image on for 20 minutes. Yes, I still see the IR/Burn-in the next morning viewing regular content, that is what bothers me. Maybe because I know what I am looking for, my eyes find it easily. The point is still the same, with a plasma I have an issue where I can see a retained image on my normal program viewing. If I could not see the image when viewing regular content, I wouldn't have much of an issue. I say much, because it technically still is an issue. Comparing an LCD to a Plasma, you'd never see a situation remotely like this.
If a 20 min image is an issue great enough to see it the following day for any reason, it stands to reason that watching a Bluray (w/black bars) for 1-3 hours will serious mess this thing up.
Anyways, remove my posts or do whatever the hell you want. This is my 2 cents towards plasma tech ... or at least the GT50. So I have no further business in this thread cause my TV is being taken back ... SEE YA!
I am sure all us are involved in some vast conspiracy to dupe plasma owners. Ever consider your set might be defective ? It does happen,

I just reviewed you posting history, found out everything i need to know
Edited by chunon - 12/31/12 at 12:09pm
post #5056 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophoric View Post


And what official or unofficial document discloses that info? Between all the posts here and on Panny support forums, no one knows what the real solution for any of this crap is...
Umm...pretty much everybody that owns a plasma knows this solution. Maybe you should read more forums?
post #5057 of 9713
After over 6 happy months with my GT50, I am starting to see what looks like uneven aging or a panel defect. mad.gif There is faint discoloration on the far left and right sides of the screen. It is mostly only noticeable on white and light grey backgrounds, but i am now starting to notice it on some regular content. It shows up as a hazy yellowish tinge. Almost looks like IR from watching too much 4:3 letterbox content, but I NEVER keep side bars. Its not completely solid bands or lines (like some have reported) all the way down each side. Its blotchy and worst in the far right middle portion of the screen. I have been overly cautious (content wise) with this TV and have been babying this thing since I got it, so I don't think it can be related to IR/burn.

I'm trying to decide if i can live with it or not. If it gets any worse I will def be doing something about it.

Has anyone else had or heard of any issues like this?
post #5058 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

After over 6 happy months with my GT50, I am starting to see what looks like uneven aging or a panel defect. mad.gif There is faint discoloration on the far left and right sides of the screen. It is only noticeable on white and light grey backgrounds, but i am now starting to notice it on some regular content. It shows up as a hazy yellowish tinge. Almost looks like IR from watching too much 4:3 letterbox content, but I NEVER keep side bars. Its not completely solid bands or lines (like some have reported) all the way down each side. Its blotchy and worst in the far right middle portion of the screen. I have been overly cautious (content wise) with this TV and have been babying this thing since I got it, so I don't think it can be related to IR/burn.
I'm trying to decide if i can live with it or not. If it gets any worse I will def be doing something about it.
Has anyone else had or heard of any issues like this?

What does Panny say ? I would look into getting a service call scheduled doesnt sound normal.
post #5059 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

What does Panny say ? I would look into getting a service call scheduled doesnt sound normal.

I haven't contacted them yet. I think I'm going to soon, but i just wanted to see if anyone else has this same issue first.
post #5060 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

I haven't contacted them yet. I think I'm going to soon, but i just wanted to see if anyone else has this same issue first.

Sounds similar to some of the pink tint issues on the 2011''s ?
post #5061 of 9713
The fact that they are not burn-in or IR slides would be a big hint. They are for uniform aging purposes to some degree, but have never been for burn-in. They are to get you past those first 100-200 hours when things stabilize and you can perform an accurate calibration.
post #5062 of 9713
I just bought the new 65GT50. Can you suggest the best settings for my display.
post #5063 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

The fact that they are not burn-in or IR slides would be a big hint. They are for uniform aging purposes to some degree, but have never been for burn-in. They are to get you past those first 100-200 hours when things stabilize and you can perform an accurate calibration.
Please! Don't confuse the uninformed. wink.gif
post #5064 of 9713
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMc View Post

I just bought the new 65GT50. Can you suggest the best settings for my display.

There are no best settings - every individual TV is different and there are too many variables with people sources, content, room environment, preferences etc, so settings that look good on one person's GT50 may or may not look good on yours.

Several people have posted settings in this thread so run a search. Also check the 1st (or 2nd) post in this thread - i've linked CNet's and Black Ops' settings. You can try them and see how they look on your TV, or use them as a starting point then tweak them to your personal taste.
post #5065 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

The fact that they are not burn-in or IR slides would be a big hint. They are for uniform aging purposes to some degree, but have never been for burn-in. They are to get you past those first 100-200 hours when things stabilize and you can perform an accurate calibration.

They may not be "burn-in" slides but most sources I'm reading on the internet say that the first 100 hours on a plasma is where IR and burn-in have the greatest potential. So with that in mind, wouldn't it make sense to use them help get through those first 100 hours. I mean I could watch movies but oh yeah there's black bars so we can't have that. I could play a lot of video games but no there are HUD screens to watch out for. Ooooh I know, I'll just watch my favorite channel on TV...oh I shouldn't do that either because the channel logo is static. So in a sense aren't those solid color slides good for getting you passed the 100 hours where the set can be more stabilized for other viewing enjoyment and not just calibration? It seems to me like those slides are one of a few choices we have to get through a 100 hours or so of use other than watching zoomed in shows or other full screen content. I'm a new plasma owner but these posts where there are members putting down other owners and making them feel dumb for using slides for anything other than a D-nice calibration seem rather harsh especially since what content people watch after a D-nice calibration won't be the same anyway.
post #5066 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASiani View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

The fact that they are not burn-in or IR slides would be a big hint. They are for uniform aging purposes to some degree, but have never been for burn-in. They are to get you past those first 100-200 hours when things stabilize and you can perform an accurate calibration.

They may not be "burn-in" slides but most sources I'm reading on the internet say that the first 100 hours on a plasma is where IR and burn-in have the greatest potential. So with that in mind, wouldn't it make sense to use them help get through those first 100 hours. I mean I could watch movies but oh yeah there's black bars so we can't have that. I could play a lot of video games but no there are HUD screens to watch out for. Ooooh I know, I'll just watch my favorite channel on TV...oh I shouldn't do that either because the channel logo is static. So in a sense aren't those solid color slides good for getting you passed the 100 hours where the set can be more stabilized for other viewing enjoyment and not just calibration? It seems to me like those slides are one of a few choices we have to get through a 100 hours or so of use other than watching zoomed in shows or other full screen content. I'm a new plasma owner but these posts where there are members putting down other owners and making them feel dumb for using slides for anything other than a D-nice calibration seem rather harsh especially since what content people watch after a D-nice calibration won't be the same anyway.

Sure, you can use them for whatever purpose you want. You can also just watch movies and/or television shows that fill the screen more frequently in the beginning. You can choose to vary the content, display solid color fields, whatever you want really. I'm just saying that those slides were produced for one purpose, no matter what else people may decide to use them for. I myself chose to be mindful of my Contrast setting and vary the content I was viewing. You can watch all of the things you mentioned so long as you keep a good mix of channels with their various graphics and film aspect ratios.
post #5067 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

Sure, you can use them for whatever purpose you want. You can also just watch movies and/or television shows that fill the screen more frequently in the beginning. You can choose to vary the content, display solid color fields, whatever you want really. I'm just saying that those slides were produced for one purpose, no matter what else people may decide to use them for. I myself chose to be mindful of my Contrast setting and vary the content I was viewing.

I do understand what you're saying. I guess it's just easy to pop these full screen slides in on a loop when I'm sleeping so I get through this break in process as fast as possible. I certainly didn't buy a brand new wide screen TV so I could watch zoomed in content for the next month or so.
post #5068 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASiani View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

Sure, you can use them for whatever purpose you want. You can also just watch movies and/or television shows that fill the screen more frequently in the beginning. You can choose to vary the content, display solid color fields, whatever you want really. I'm just saying that those slides were produced for one purpose, no matter what else people may decide to use them for. I myself chose to be mindful of my Contrast setting and vary the content I was viewing.

I do understand what you're saying. I guess it's just easy to pop these full screen slides in on a loop when I'm sleeping so I get through this break in process as fast as possible. I certainly didn't buy a brand new wide screen TV so I could watch zoomed in content for the next month or so.
A lot of people have done that, including me.

Some people are too literal, and assume that if they used the "anti IR slides", they no longer need to balance their viewing habits to counteract the effect of fixed images. In themselves, the slides are not protection against IR. All they do is age the phosphors. Any good 1.78:1 (16 x 9) aspect ratio movie will do the same thing, and in the case of high contrast vivid Pixar animation movies, they do a better job of removing any IR that might occur.
post #5069 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

A lot of people have done that, including me.
Some people are too literal, and assume that if they used the "anti IR slides", they no longer need to balance their viewing habits to counteract the effect of fixed images. In themselves, the slides are not protection against IR. All they do is age the phosphors. Any good 1.78:1 (16 x 9) aspect ratio movie will do the same thing, and in the case of high contrast vivid Pixar animation movies, they do a better job of removing any IR that might occur.

Thanks for the tip on high contrast Pixar animation movies; I'm definitely adding that to my arsenol. I'm actually at 175 hours now and I've been playing games today and I watched LOTR Two Towers Extended with the black bars and this IR seems to not be as scary to me like it was in the first hundred or so where it was glowing brightly after a little gaming. Today, when I got IR a little bit early in the day, it didn't last long at all but I'm still paying attention to brightness, contrast, and varying my viewing content. They say good things don't come easy and I'm glad I'm sticking with this set.
post #5070 of 9713
I have about 1500 hours on mine and I never have to worry about IR.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]