or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 185

post #5521 of 9713
Thanks mo. There have been a few comments in this thread also saying the gt50 looked better to them than the vt30. Gotta love technology.
post #5522 of 9713
Thanks Mo. This would be my first panny. I've only owned sammys in the past.
post #5523 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASiani View Post

I bought the 60GT50 about a month ago now. Since then I've noticed friends and family coming over to visit a lot more than they used to. Is anyone else having this issue? Is this normal for this set?

OMFG!! I got my the same tv a month ago as well. And since then the same thing has happened. What's even funnier is that one of them has the ST50 yet still likes my GT!!!
post #5524 of 9713
I've had my new GT50 55" for about 2 months now. Am thoroughly enjoying it. It has beautiful PQ, outstanding blacks, and looks even better after 2 months. Best purchase I ever made on a TV. Everyone that comes over oohs and aahs about it. It's a "keeper"!
post #5525 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltah View Post

i noticed the line bleed on the green ratings screen as well. did not see that on my samsung.
Wow that's terrible. I swear, if I get a set with it that bad, I'm going to have words with some of you.
post #5526 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recstar24 View Post

Thanks mo. There have been a few comments in this thread also saying the gt50 looked better to them than the vt30. Gotta love technology.

Anytime.. I'm a little bit obsessive compulsive when it comes to buying things. My VT30 was plagued with problems.. and Paults TV did nothing to help me. It has fluctuating brightness, now has burn-in (dish logo), has some image retention.. but worse of all the PQ just isn't that great.. I truly believe that Panasonic sold a bunch of defective VT30s.. I really wish they would take this thing back and at least give me 50% back for what I paid. Standard mode also makes weird lines if the scene is dark.. horrible TV.

Mo
post #5527 of 9713
Hi
I just got the 60 inch gt50 from best buy . The delivered the tv to my house because it wasn't in stock. My problem is that the company that delivered the tv opened the box to check for damages, they said, at the warehouse to be sure that they are not blamed for an already damaged tv. I almost refused the delivery but beside the opened box everything looked in order and unopened .(the remote, the stand, serial match the box and the tv, etc). Does anybody else had this problem. Should I returned the tv to best buy?
Thank you.
post #5528 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by withstar View Post

Hi
I just got the 60 inch gt50 from best buy . The delivered the tv to my house because it wasn't in stock. My problem is that the company that delivered the tv opened the box to check for damages, they said, at the warehouse to be sure that they are not blamed for an already damaged tv. I almost refused the delivery but beside the opened box everything looked in order and unopened .(the remote, the stand, serial match the box and the tv, etc). Does anybody else had this problem. Should I returned the tv to best buy?
Thank you.

I've heard of deliveries like this. Basically, the delivery guys open the box at the warehouse and do a superficial check for physical damage, then close the box. I've heard of others where they cut the box open at the front to inspect the glass.

You could check out the hours on the set using procedure to enter the service menu given elsewhere. That would let you know if the set is 'used'.
post #5529 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddyknuckles View Post

Can anybody with Panasonic plasma experience explain this phenomenon in the picture. I know in the picture it looks a little bit like lens flare but I assure you it's not. Any time there is a bright light in a dark enviroment a distinct blue line appears. In the example below it happens to be two seperate lines but same problem. I am pretty unhappy about it. I just want to know if this set needs to be returned. Thanks.
Does it do this on other similar material? Like can you reproduce it with another image like the the one you have pictured? Maybe it's just the source? I've never seen anything like that before on my 65gt50. What movie is it from (sorry if you already posted that info)

Quote:
Originally Posted by withstar View Post

Hi
I just got the 60 inch gt50 from best buy . The delivered the tv to my house because it wasn't in stock. My problem is that the company that delivered the tv opened the box to check for damages, they said, at the warehouse to be sure that they are not blamed for an already damaged tv. I almost refused the delivery but beside the opened box everything looked in order and unopened .(the remote, the stand, serial match the box and the tv, etc). Does anybody else had this problem. Should I returned the tv to best buy?
Thank you.
Mine was delivered the same way with the same "opening to check for damage" and it is fine. I have a "non-buzzer". Plug it up and check it out to see if it's okay, okay.
post #5530 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post

Anytime.. I'm a little bit obsessive compulsive when it comes to buying things. My VT30 was plagued with problems.. and Paults TV did nothing to help me. It has fluctuating brightness, now has burn-in (dish logo), has some image retention.. but worse of all the PQ just isn't that great.. I truly believe that Panasonic sold a bunch of defective VT30s.. I really wish they would take this thing back and at least give me 50% back for what I paid. Standard mode also makes weird lines if the scene is dark.. horrible TV.

Mo

The GT50 IR is just as bad. That is why I took mine back. I broke it in for 100 hours then I played a game for 30 mins, and could see the IR from the HUD.
It went away after a couple of hours, but I cant imagine if I gamed for a few hours. My old plasma, never had IR, but it was a samsung. Also the GT50 seems to be really bad at IR based on the CNET article.
post #5531 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelanger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post

Anytime.. I'm a little bit obsessive compulsive when it comes to buying things. My VT30 was plagued with problems.. and Paults TV did nothing to help me. It has fluctuating brightness, now has burn-in (dish logo), has some image retention.. but worse of all the PQ just isn't that great.. I truly believe that Panasonic sold a bunch of defective VT30s.. I really wish they would take this thing back and at least give me 50% back for what I paid. Standard mode also makes weird lines if the scene is dark.. horrible TV.

Mo

The GT50 IR is just as bad. That is why I took mine back. I broke it in for 100 hours then I played a game for 30 mins, and could see the IR from the HUD.
It went away after a couple of hours, but I cant imagine if I gamed for a few hours. My old plasma, never had IR, but it was a samsung. Also the GT50 seems to be really bad at IR based on the CNET article.
I have > 1500 hours on my GT50 and absolutely no IR. You cannot condemn an entire product line based off your lone experience.
post #5532 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

I have > 1500 hours on my GT50 and absolutely no IR. You cannot condemn an entire product line based off your lone experience.

All you have to do is look at this thread and you see a ton of people with this set and IR issues. Also CNET even said, they had to sent back their GT because they could not get rid of the IR from their set, but they could from the ST and the samsung.
post #5533 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelanger View Post

All you have to do is look at this thread and you see a ton of people with this set and IR issues. Also CNET even said, they had to sent back their GT because they could not get rid of the IR from their set, but they could from the ST and the samsung.

So how do you explain folks that don't have IR ?
post #5534 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelanger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

I have > 1500 hours on my GT50 and absolutely no IR. You cannot condemn an entire product line based off your lone experience.

All you have to do is look at this thread and you see a ton of people with this set and IR issues. Also CNET even said, they had to sent back their GT because they could not get rid of the IR from their set, but they could from the ST and the samsung.
From this thread? A dozen folks or so? Now compare that to the total units sold. Problems or defects are the exception the rule. The CNET article is nonsense based on their own flawed and extremely narrow testing methods. The ST and GT use the same panel. One is not more prone to IR than the other. That alone is telling about the trustworthiness of the CNET piece.
post #5535 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

From this thread? A dozen folks or so? Now compare that to the total units sold. Problems or defects are the exception the rule. The CNET article is nonsense based on their own flawed and extremely narrow testing methods. The ST and GT use the same panel. One is not more prone to IR than the other. That alone is telling about the trustworthiness of the CNET piece.

You can't combat the hysteria I've tried
post #5536 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

From this thread? A dozen folks or so? Now compare that to the total units sold. Problems or defects are the exception the rule. The CNET article is nonsense based on their own flawed and extremely narrow testing methods. The ST and GT use the same panel. One is not more prone to IR than the other. That alone is telling about the trustworthiness of the CNET piece.

You can't combat the hysteria I've tried

True.
post #5537 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelanger View Post

All you have to do is look at this thread and you see a ton of people with this set and IR issues. Also CNET even said, they had to sent back their GT because they could not get rid of the IR from their set, but they could from the ST and the samsung.

"A ton of people" ?????

Actually, no. I have followed this thread from the start; there has really only been a statistically tiny group of people reporting IR. What you have seen are multiple descriptions from this very small group being repeated over and over and over and over and over and .... over yet again.

I really don't care what anybody thinks about the TV or if they choose to buy one or not. I'm just trying to keep the information in the thread at least semi-accurate.
post #5538 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

So how do you explain folks that don't have IR ?

the GT is prone to IR, so people still need to be careful with it, that is my point. I DEF would not recommend gaming on this tv.
but that is from my experience. I am not sure if you have tried to or not.
post #5539 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

"A ton of people" ?????

Actually, no. I have followed this thread from the start; there has really only been a statistically tiny group of people reporting IR. What you have seen are multiple descriptions from this very small group being repeated over and over and over and over and over and .... over yet again.

I really don't care what anybody thinks about the TV or if they choose to buy one or not. I'm just trying to keep the information in the thread at least semi-accurate.

The TV was good, but it does have a tendency for IR esp when trying to game on it. If you are not going to game and only watch TV and blurays, I am sure those people will be fine.
But even on TV stations like ESPN or Comcast sports in Boston, those two stations gave me a lot of IR after only watching for about 30 mins. Sure it went away after a few hours but I wouldnt chance watching those stations for a few hours.
post #5540 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelanger View Post

the GT is prone to IR, so people still need to be careful with it, that is my point. I DEF would not recommend gaming on this tv.
but that is from my experience. I am not sure if you have tried to or not.

I can't testify to gaming but I wouldn't game on any plasma. But for normal tv viewing and bluray most people don't have IR issues. I am sorry for your experience but IR is just like anything else it varies based on viewing habits. I am sure I could cause IR on my ST30 if I watched the same channel all the time but I don't I mix it up.
post #5541 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I can't testify to gaming but I wouldn't game on any plasma. But for normal tv viewing and bluray most people don't have IR issues. I am sorry for your experience but IR is just like anything else it varies based on viewing habits. I am sure I could cause IR on my ST30 if I watched the same channel all the time but I don't I mix it up.

i have an old samsung plasma and i game on it all the time and never get IR on it. I can play COD for 3 hours straight and nothing. But on this TV , I played for 30 mins and had IR for 4 or 5 hours before it was barely visible.

Also plasmas are supposed to be better for gaming because of the refresh rate and there is even a gaming mode. The funny thing is, CNET rated the GT50 as one of the best TVs to game on.
I think the IR would be a non issue if you are not planning to game on this tv, but since I was, it was a problem for me.

And with the boston's comcast sports station, i got the IR from the Felger and Mazz show because the name of their program is in bright white and i got IR from watching it for under an hour.
I am sure it could have been less of a problem after 400 hours, (since I only had 100 on it), but I didnt want to take that chance.
post #5542 of 9713
It also varies from panel to panel unfortunately. You may have one that is a little more prone to IR.
post #5543 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

It also varies from panel to panel unfortunately. You may have one that is a little more prone to IR.

That is true, mine was a sept build.
post #5544 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

It also varies from panel to panel unfortunately. You may have one that is a little more prone to IR.

This is the KEY statement !

Just as some sets have a buzz and others have none, some sets are more prone to IR and others show none. I have watched multiple hours of stations with fixed white graphics and have never seen even a hint of IR while I remember someone reporting IR from the Viera flash at power on.

There must be be some inconsistency in the panel manufacturing process that is giving a certain % of non-standard panels.
post #5545 of 9713
It has been extensively discussed in the ST forum and no one can make any rhyme or reason of it.
post #5546 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

This is the KEY statement !

Just as some sets have a buzz and others have none, some sets are more prone to IR and others show none. I have watched multiple hours of stations with fixed white graphics and have never seen even a hint of IR while I remember someone reporting IR from the Viera flash at power on.

There must be be some inconsistency in the panel manufacturing process that is giving a certain % of non-standard panels.

its too bad, you have to play a panel lottery when paying this much for a tv to hope you get a perfect set.
If I had the patience I could have keep swapping them until I got a perfect set, but i didnt want to go that route.

It was a great set dont get me wrong but the IR and it did buzz on bright scenes, just were deal breakers.
post #5547 of 9713
November built 55GT50 here, slight buzzing on white slides (have to go behind the TV) but nothing noticeable from sitting distance even when silent, let alone with audio. I have 24hrs on the TV so far, 23 of which is slides. my previous samsung plasma buzzed as well

My samsung had IR that went away after a minute or two whenever you changed to a different source/channel. its inherent in plasmas. the paranoia in here is astounding regarding IR.
post #5548 of 9713
I get IR very easily on my GT50. The viera logo you see for 3 seconds when you turn out on can actually cause it! It goes away quickly though and I can very rarely see any while watching normal content from normal viewing distance. It has me wondering though, if the uneven aging and discolored (greenish/yellow tinge) area's I see on white screens is related and a sign of a defective panel? I have always been very cautious about my content viewing.
post #5549 of 9713
Has anyone teamed up the GT50 with the Darbee with favorable results?
post #5550 of 9713
I was cautious in the first 150 hrs. Since, I've watched movies with bars, tons of ESPN, PBS with logo for 6 hrs a day (my 5 month old son) for weeks and have zero IR. Just reporting in for the "no-IR'ers" I also feel very fortunate for having that exhibits zero buzz. Both my wife and I have put our head beside the TV on very bright scenes and can't hear a thing knock on wood.

HD master waiting patiently for your newest settings! I've made a cheat sheet I keep in the den with yours, cnets, and blackops. I change once a week and so far, overall for all sources, your come out on top. They all look good though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]