or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 214

post #6391 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

Sounds like there might be a handshake issue with your cable box. Who is your cable provider and what type of box do you have?

Edit: Siri didn't relay my message properly the first time. smile.gif
xfinity cable, Motorola rng 150n box
post #6392 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post

xfinity cable, Motorola rng 150n box
I have the same box and xfinity also. I had all kinds of handshake issues when I first hooked everything up. So much so that I was worried. I use a Denon avr for the hdmi switching. To fix it I used different hdmi inputs on the avr. There is also a way to reset it all. I'd go to the forum for your receiver and troubleshoot it. Have you tried to connect direct from cable box to tv? That might help troubleshoot
post #6393 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

Sounds like there might be a handshake issue with your cable box. Who is your cable provider and what type of box do you have?

Edit: Siri didn't relay my message properly the first time. smile.gif
xfinity cable, Motorola rng 150n box

Tune to an HD channel.
Turn the box off, but leave the TV on.
Press the menu button on the Comcast remote immediately after turning it off.
Turn "Native" off and ONLY select the 1080i (and 1080p if available) resolution.

Sometimes, handshake issues can occur when switching from a channel with one resolution to a channel with a different resolution. The GT50's deal better with 1080i (rather than 720p) anyway, so you're better off sending it that from your cable box.
Edited by HD-Master - 2/8/13 at 8:53pm
post #6394 of 9713
With that box you should use 1080p60. Tahts what I use. Or 1080i if you have an older firmware version than I like master said. Also order of powering up your system can make a difference. TV 1st,then avr, then cable box would be the generally agreed upon correct order
post #6395 of 9713
Should the picture settings stay the same across inputs for a given selection? If I set HDMI 1 to "Standard" and tune it, the go to HDMI 2 and set it to "Standard", should I be able to have a different "Standard" tune?

I seems like I can only have one definition across inputs. For example, I want to set HDMI 1 to "Standard" with contrast at 80, and I want to set HDMI 2 to "Standard" with contrast at 60. I cannot do this. I've always been able to do this on my previous TVs.
post #6396 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDCL View Post

Should the picture settings stay the same across inputs for a given selection? If I set HDMI 1 to "Standard" and tune it, the go to HDMI 2 and set it to "Standard", should I be able to have a different "Standard" tune?

I seems like I can only have one definition across inputs. For example, I want to set HDMI 1 to "Standard" with contrast at 80, and I want to set HDMI 2 to "Standard" with contrast at 60. I cannot do this. I've always been able to do this on my previous TVs.

All of the HDMI inputs have independent settings. The same picture mode can have different settings on each of the HDMI inputs.
post #6397 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDCL View Post

Should the picture settings stay the same across inputs for a given selection? If I set HDMI 1 to "Standard" and tune it, the go to HDMI 2 and set it to "Standard", should I be able to have a different "Standard" tune?

I seems like I can only have one definition across inputs. For example, I want to set HDMI 1 to "Standard" with contrast at 80, and I want to set HDMI 2 to "Standard" with contrast at 60. I cannot do this. I've always been able to do this on my previous TVs.

Stop using standard...? biggrin.gif
post #6398 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

Tune to an HD channel.
Turn the box off, but leave the TV on.
Press the menu button on the Comcast remote immediately after turning it off.
Turn "Native" off and ONLY select the 1080i (and 1080p if available) resolution.

Sometimes, handshake issues can occur when switching from a channel with one resolution to a channel with a different resolution. The GT50's deal better with 1080i (rather than 720p) anyway, so you're better off sending it that from your cable box.
Would the channel transition effect in the advanced setup menu have anything to do with this? the problem is very intermittent
post #6399 of 9713
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDCL View Post

Should the picture settings stay the same across inputs for a given selection? If I set HDMI 1 to "Standard" and tune it, the go to HDMI 2 and set it to "Standard", should I be able to have a different "Standard" tune?

No.


Quote:
I seems like I can only have one definition across inputs. For example, I want to set HDMI 1 to "Standard" with contrast at 80, and I want to set HDMI 2 to "Standard" with contrast at 60. I cannot do this.

That's correct. Any settings you use for Standard mode (as well as Cinema, Game, Vivid, THX) are "global" and carry over to all inputs. If you change a setting in any of these picture modes, it will be the same across all inputs using the same picture mode.

However, Custom mode remembers individual settings for each input separately so you can set up different Custom modes for the different inputs and they'll be retained for each individual input. But none of the other picture modes will do this - only Custom does.


Quote:
I've always been able to do this on my previous TVs.

This has never been the case on the Panasonics unless you're using Custom mode. And on my various LCD TVs, settings are all global like the Panny is in Standard/Cinema etc.
post #6400 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Don't confuse the continuous rehash of a handful of anecdotal reports with the existence of a wide spread problem. It would be very easy to get the idea that all the 2012 Panny PDP's are junk beyond comparison; that couldn't be further from the truth.

I'm not getting confused by anything. My statement was just that I get tired of seeing the same questions asked over and over again. Whenever I go into a thread I will always go back at least five pages to see if anybody asked the question. This takes time and I look at it as being considerate. In most, if not all cases the question has been posed already enough times. Especially at a model year-end. So I just get a little miffed that people are just too lazy to go back and look a bit. IMO, that is why threads get so deep. The same question gets posted over and over and over and over and over again. I would bet if you deleted the same questions and responses from a thread it probably would delete, in this particular case, 20 pages. That's all I'm saying.
So to summarize, if someone were to say "I have gone back five or six pages and have not seen the question asked so I'll ask this question. Sorry if it has been asked/posted before". To me that would be perfectly acceptable. It shows someone has tried. That's all!
No need to respond to this as it was just my opinion. I'm sure it will get buried deep within the thread with some questions of: does the GT50 have IR, what about buzzing issues, I'm thinking about buying online from Paul's, my room has many windows. I guess you just gotta laugh.
Edited by MacNThorens - 2/9/13 at 9:20am
post #6401 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNThorens View Post

does the GT50 have IR, what about buzzing issues, I'm thinking about buying online from Paul's, my room has many windows. I guess you just gotta laugh.

Mine has no IR, doesn't buzz, Pauls B&M was Great, and my windows aren't causing me any viewing issues. smile.gif
post #6402 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNThorens View Post

...
No need to respond to this as it was just my opinion. I'm sure it will get buried deep within the thread with some questions of: does the GT50 have IR, what about buzzing issues, I'm thinking about buying online from Paul's, my room has many windows. I guess you just gotta laugh.

I misunderstood your original comment. I agree 1000 % way too much rehash of the same old posted to death topics. Out of the 6000 posts here, I think there are only 10 or 12 core topics each of which has been repeated 500 times. I think I'm almost finished here as well; there hasn't been anything new in months.
post #6403 of 9713
So after all that I have a question. I have not seen it asked in the last 30 pages but it may have been as I may not know the technical term for it. So I apologize. Every so often when I am watching the set I will see a thin white speckled line at either the top or the bottom of the screen. It is kind of distracting but it does go away if I change the channel. Can someone please explain what this phenomenon is. Thanks.
post #6404 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

I misunderstood your original comment. I agree 1000 % way too much rehash of the same old posted to death topics. Out of the 6000 posts here, I think there are only 10 or 12 core topics each of which has been repeated 500 times.

It's all good. :-) It happens so much all over the web on these boards. I'm just a bit frustrated that people are so lazy. It was a rant!!!!!
post #6405 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

I misunderstood your original comment. I agree 1000 % way too much rehash of the same old posted to death topics. Out of the 6000 posts here, I think there are only 10 or 12 core topics each of which has been repeated 500 times. I think I'm almost finished here as well; there hasn't been anything new in months.

I agree, but it keeps me entertained.biggrin.gif Some posts are just too funny.
post #6406 of 9713
Uhgg...I am sick. Last night one of my 3 year old's toy cars accidentally "crashed" into the 55" GT50. 5 inch spider crack in bottom right corner. 7 blinks of death.
TV is 10 mo. old and I have a 3rd party extended warranty. I know this is not covered but I really can't swing buying a new TV right now. Any suggetions on how I might be able to get some help with this??? Do I really just have a $1500 paperweight sitting in my livingroom right now??
post #6407 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Uhgg...I am sick. Last night one of my 3 year old's toy cars accidentally "crashed" into the 55" GT50. 5 inch spider crack in bottom right corner. 7 blinks of death.
TV is 10 mo. old and I have a 3rd party extended warranty. I know this is not covered but I really can't swing buying a new TV right now. Any suggetions on how I might be able to get some help with this??? Do I really just have a $1500 paperweight sitting in my livingroom right now??
Yup. Fixing it would most likely cost more then its even worth.

Sorry. That sucks.
post #6408 of 9713
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Uhgg...I am sick. Last night one of my 3 year old's toy cars accidentally "crashed" into the 55" GT50. 5 inch spider crack in bottom right corner. 7 blinks of death. TV is 10 mo. old and I have a 3rd party extended warranty. I know this is not covered but I really can't swing buying a new TV right now. Any suggetions on how I might be able to get some help with this??? Do I really just have a $1500 paperweight sitting in my livingroom right now??

Ouch. Young children + throwable toys = extreme danger for a TV without a screen protector in front of it.

Did you happen to buy the TV with a credit card that has some sort of accident coverage for the first year?

How about home owners insurance?

Does the boy have liability insurance on his toy car?

You may be able to sell the broken TV on EBay for parts to recoup some of your money.
post #6409 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Uhgg...I am sick. Last night one of my 3 year old's toy cars accidentally "crashed" into the 55" GT50. 5 inch spider crack in bottom right corner. 7 blinks of death.
TV is 10 mo. old and I have a 3rd party extended warranty. I know this is not covered but I really can't swing buying a new TV right now. Any suggetions on how I might be able to get some help with this??? Do I really just have a $1500 paperweight sitting in my livingroom right now??

How about your home owners insurance? I know mine would cover it less the deductable.
post #6410 of 9713
I was going to suggest the same thing Randy did, Home Owners/Renters insurance?
post #6411 of 9713
So I decided to get the VT instead of the GT. It was only a $275 difference. Thanks for all your help.
post #6412 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNThorens View Post

So after all that I have a question. I have not seen it asked in the last 30 pages but it may have been as I may not know the technical term for it. So I apologize. Every so often when I am watching the set I will see a thin white speckled line at either the top or the bottom of the screen. It is kind of distracting but it does go away if I change the channel. Can someone please explain what this phenomenon is. Thanks.
Your set is fine. You didn't provide any critical details so I'm going to list my assumptions.

You are watching TV when this happens. Therefor what you are seeing is the edge transmission junk that was always hidden with CRT direct view sets. CRT displays had built in over scan to hide what you're now seeing. Most likely you see it on SD channels, but it's possible to see it on HDTV too. Another assumption is that your display is set to map the input signal dot by dot on your screen. I don't own a Panasonic, but I know that there are two settings that go with the Full mode. They are "something 1" and "something 2". If you're bothered by what you are seeing, just switch the setting and you will get a 5% over scan that will hide the junk. Of course, over scan reduces sharpness and detail slightly.

This problem may not be at the top of repeated questions, but it does come up frequently for all HDTV sets that are capable of dot by dot image mapping. wink.gif
post #6413 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I was going to suggest the same thing Randy did, Home Owners/Renters insurance?

I did think of using my renters insurance but is it worth it? What I mean is I thought every time you make a claim you are in a sense "flagged" ? And if you do it too many times (although I have never had a claim) your rates may go up as well as affect you trying to get insured in the future? This is probably not the rigth place to get a definitive answer on this but any thoughts are welcome. Thanks
post #6414 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNThorens View Post

So after all that I have a question. I have not seen it asked in the last 30 pages but it may have been as I may not know the technical term for it. So I apologize. Every so often when I am watching the set I will see a thin white speckled line at either the top or the bottom of the screen. It is kind of distracting but it does go away if I change the channel. Can someone please explain what this phenomenon is. Thanks.

That thing is an encoded data stream. Its one way to beaming stuff into your tv that is kinda a legacy approach that is still being used. It can contain anything the broadcaster wants to send. Like closed caption data and channel and program information. A little annoying but 100% normal.
post #6415 of 9713
Just got our GT50 today! Would love to check it out but won't be moving into our new place for another few weeks. So other than checking the TV for damages, we left it in the box.

I'm tempted to plug it in and give it a couple viewings before we officially move in and set up the TV.

My question/concern is should I just wait until we settle in for a proper burn in? Would viewing it before hand just to check out the image quality before shelving it for the next few weeks be wise?
post #6416 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by wliu003 View Post

Just got our GT50 today! Would love to check it out but won't be moving into our new place for another few weeks. So other than checking the TV for damages, we left it in the box.

I'm tempted to plug it in and give it a couple viewings before we officially move in and set up the TV.

My question/concern is should I just wait until we settle in for a proper burn in? Would viewing it before hand just to check out the image quality before shelving it for the next few weeks be wise?
Nothing wrong with that, check it out.
post #6417 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

I did think of using my renters insurance but is it worth it? What I mean is I thought every time you make a claim you are in a sense "flagged" ? And if you do it too many times (although I have never had a claim) your rates may go up as well as affect you trying to get insured in the future? This is probably not the rigth place to get a definitive answer on this but any thoughts are welcome. Thanks

Check with your agent. He'll know what the threshold is for having a claim affect your premium.
post #6418 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Ouch. Young children + throwable toys = extreme danger for a TV without a screen protector in front of it.

Did you happen to buy the TV with a credit card that has some sort of accident coverage for the first year?

How about home owners insurance?

Does the boy have liability insurance on his toy car?

You may be able to sell the broken TV on EBay for parts to recoup some of your money.

Checked with Amex and they are no help because their warranty only mirrors the manufacturers warranty.

Is it even worth calling Panasonic to see if they will help?

Also any word on new ST/GT models, release, price, expectations???
post #6419 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Checked with Amex and they are no help because their warranty only mirrors the manufacturers warranty.

Is it even worth calling Panasonic to see if they will help?

Also any word on new ST/GT models, release, price, expectations???


Check out CNETs blurb on the ST/VT/ZT models. From what I can tell the ST60 (which you can preorder and see prices right now from Panasonic's web site) doesn't seem to have anything new besides gimmicks (touch pen compatible and new apps and stuff) and maybe slightly better blacks. The GT model has been dropped for 2013 and the VT60 "kind of" replaces it. Again doesn't look to be a huge update compared to 2012 besides a slightly faster focus field drive and maybe slightly better blacks and built in camera/voice control/gimmicks. The ZT60 will be the new "above reference" panel.

Just bought my GT50 with my Amex that I rarely use just for that extended warranty... Lol
post #6420 of 9713
Thanks, I am leaning towards the ST60 because of its value, but what do you think that ZT will cost? sounds pretty amazing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]