or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 24

post #691 of 9716
Have had this Panny for about 2 weeks now and its been a nightmare!

Well thats a bit of a lie as I've had 2 gt50's so far!

As soon as I got my gt50, got it out the box and started checking out some blurays. The picture on THX settings is crisp and perfect in every way including the black levels, no trace of blur, bleeding or tearing. The tv was SILENT, no hum or buzzing.
About 3 hours into using the tv, black horizontal lines appeeared on the screen. The next day i took it back to the shop, they told me the unit was defective and it would take a week to receive my new unit.

Last week i picked up the new unit, as soon as I got it out the box plugged it all up, whats that i can hear? Really annoying buzzing coming out! Its like a rollercoaster of buzzing noise, goes up and down. As the whites on the image increases it goes nuts.

Straight away i called the shop, they told me to wait two weeks as the tv needs to run for a while for it to go away. And they told me that I need to buy and install a mains filter and that will reduce the buzzing.

Right its been a week, ive researched mains filters and reviews are really mixed. Not just that but I cant see panny developing a tv that needs further equipment to run properly. Ive had the tv running for hours too even while i been out the house and its not making any difference.

Dont get me wrong the buzzing is not super loud, but it still gives me a headache after 30 mins of watching tv even though my wife struggles to hear it, but then again she cant notice the different between SD and HD so....
Im trying to get used to it but I cant... and im 100% sure my last gt50 didnt buzz... should I carry on waiting for the buzz to go away? im sure that the longer I leave it the harder its going to be to exchange it :-(

sad times!
post #692 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

No. They will warranty only what the manufacturer warrants.

Thanks for that.

You happen to know of any warranty company that would cover IR? maybe Mack?

I have heard companies like BB offer warranties that cover IR, but I do not shop at BB.

I would just like to have peace of mind, and be covered, just in case. Like I mentioned I play a lot of games that have a constant HUD.

I am actually considering on going with a VT, but I don't want a giant paperweight down the line.
post #693 of 9716
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbiidermen View Post

Thanks for that. You happen to know of any warranty company that would cover IR? maybe Mack? I have heard companies like BB offer warranties that cover IR, but I do not shop at BB. I would just like to have peace of mind, and be covered, just in case. Like I mentioned I play a lot of games that have a constant HUD. I am actually considering on going with a VT, but I don't want a giant paperweight down the line.

Nobody covers IR, and there's no need to cover it because IR is temporary and eventually goes away on it's own.

You're probably thinking about Burn In, which is permanent damage but none of the manufacturers or extended warranty providers cover that at all.
post #694 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by damanisjon View Post

Have had this Panny for about 2 weeks now and its been a nightmare!

Well thats a bit of a lie as I've had 2 gt50's so far!

As soon as I got my gt50, got it out the box and started checking out some blurays. The picture on THX settings is crisp and perfect in every way including the black levels, no trace of blur, bleeding or tearing. The tv was SILENT, no hum or buzzing.
About 3 hours into using the tv, black horizontal lines appeeared on the screen. The next day i took it back to the shop, they told me the unit was defective and it would take a week to receive my new unit.

Last week i picked up the new unit, as soon as I got it out the box plugged it all up, whats that i can hear? Really annoying buzzing coming out! Its like a rollercoaster of buzzing noise, goes up and down. As the whites on the image increases it goes nuts.

Straight away i called the shop, they told me to wait two weeks as the tv needs to run for a while for it to go away. And they told me that I need to buy and install a mains filter and that will reduce the buzzing.

Right its been a week, ive researched mains filters and reviews are really mixed. Not just that but I cant see panny developing a tv that needs further equipment to run properly. Ive had the tv running for hours too even while i been out the house and its not making any difference.

Dont get me wrong the buzzing is not super loud, but it still gives me a headache after 30 mins of watching tv even though my wife struggles to hear it, but then again she cant notice the different between SD and HD so....
Im trying to get used to it but I cant... and im 100% sure my last gt50 didnt buzz... should I carry on waiting for the buzz to go away? im sure that the longer I leave it the harder its going to be to exchange it :-(

sad times!

Where are you buying the tv from? Could they be mishandling or storing the tvs wrong? I don't know if that is the reason for your problems but shesh....

I think you should give it one more try. This tv is really worth it. Maybe they could order the replacement so that you can swap it out on the same day you return it?
post #695 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Nobody covers IR, and there's no need to cover it because IR is temporary and eventually goes away on it's own.

You're probably thinking about Burn In, which is permanent damage but none of the manufacturers or extended warranty providers cover that at all.

Incorrect, BBY warranties cover burn in.
post #696 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by damanisjon View Post

Have had this Panny for about 2 weeks now and its been a nightmare!

Well thats a bit of a lie as I've had 2 gt50's so far!

As soon as I got my gt50, got it out the box and started checking out some blurays. The picture on THX settings is crisp and perfect in every way including the black levels, no trace of blur, bleeding or tearing. The tv was SILENT, no hum or buzzing.
About 3 hours into using the tv, black horizontal lines appeeared on the screen. The next day i took it back to the shop, they told me the unit was defective and it would take a week to receive my new unit.

Last week i picked up the new unit, as soon as I got it out the box plugged it all up, whats that i can hear? Really annoying buzzing coming out! Its like a rollercoaster of buzzing noise, goes up and down. As the whites on the image increases it goes nuts.

Straight away i called the shop, they told me to wait two weeks as the tv needs to run for a while for it to go away. And they told me that I need to buy and install a mains filter and that will reduce the buzzing.

Right its been a week, ive researched mains filters and reviews are really mixed. Not just that but I cant see panny developing a tv that needs further equipment to run properly. Ive had the tv running for hours too even while i been out the house and its not making any difference.

Dont get me wrong the buzzing is not super loud, but it still gives me a headache after 30 mins of watching tv even though my wife struggles to hear it, but then again she cant notice the different between SD and HD so....
Im trying to get used to it but I cant... and im 100% sure my last gt50 didnt buzz... should I carry on waiting for the buzz to go away? im sure that the longer I leave it the harder its going to be to exchange it :-(

sad times!

NO! Return it. My E8000 buzzes too and its unacceptable. Its going back. There is no way you should have to buy additional equiptment just to have your tv operate properly.
post #697 of 9716
Looking to get either this tv or the vt50 but I want to hear more opinions on this tv.

One question I ask is, the buzzing sound shouldn’t be acceptable correct? when you buy a tv, it should just display the picture and that’s it. Buzzing shouldn’t be. I have been definitely leaning towards plasma for the best picture but for buzzing to be heard, I will go back to LED Samsung.

Your thoughts?
post #698 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

Looking to get either this tv or the vt50 but I want to hear more opinions on this tv.

One question I ask is, the buzzing sound shouldn’t be acceptable correct? when you buy a tv, it should just display the picture and that’s it. Buzzing shouldn’t be. I have been definitely leaning towards plasma for the best picture but for buzzing to be heard, I will go back to LED Samsung.

Your thoughts?

The fact is that all plasma's buzz or hum to some extent. Some just do it more than others. Also it seems that some people are more prone to hear the buzz than others.

IMO If you hear any buzz from normal viewing disatnces (anything over 4-5 feet) it is unacceptable and should be exchanged. My last Samsung C7000 plasma had no audible buzz at all from in front of the screen, and my new E8000 plasma has an audible buzz from 10+ feet away! (even with the listening volume at moderate levels)
It is going back. I may even switch to the GT50.

As long as you buy your plasma from somewhere with a decent exchange policy you should be fine.
post #699 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

Looking to get either this tv or the vt50 but I want to hear more opinions on this tv.

One question I ask is, the buzzing sound shouldn't be acceptable correct? when you buy a tv, it should just display the picture and that's it. Buzzing shouldn't be. I have been definitely leaning towards plasma for the best picture but for buzzing to be heard, I will go back to LED Samsung.

Your thoughts?

Maybe d-nice can help, but I think he said the VT has less buzzing due to the extra pane of glass?
post #700 of 9716
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

Incorrect, BBY warranties cover burn in.

Yeah i know BB's upgreded "black tie" warranty supposedly covers burn-in, but the OP already said he was not buying it at BB and the OP and myself were specifically talking about extended warranty providers (such as Mack, Repairmaster, Square Trade, etc).

While we're on the subject, i can't remember ever seeing a single post from someone who had a burned-in TV repaired or replaced under BB's Black Tie warranty.
post #701 of 9716
Do anyone know what speed wireless adapter the tv supports? Is it just G or is it N too?
post #702 of 9716
FlatPanelsHD has received the GT50 and review is expected soon.
post #703 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdSigmaChi View Post

Do anyone know what speed wireless adapter the tv supports? Is it just G or is it N too?

I'm sure it's N like my ST30. It also does dual band(2.5 and 5ghz).
post #704 of 9716
A few reviews have mentioned that they liked the THX Bright mode. I have a feeling that I will want to use this mode a lot, except for movies in the dark. I don't watch too much tv, say no more than a few hours a day. What does everyone think about using this mode a lot? Do you think the brightness of this mode will cause damage or affect the panel (or colors) in a way that ages it faster?
Thanks!
post #705 of 9716
So, I'm pretty sure I'm going for the 65" GT50. Unfortunately, my super tells me I have no studs, just drywall where my TV is. He says he hangs his 60" LED with wingnut bolts, which although is surely lighter, sounds insane to me. Feel free to comment...

Anyway, I plan the safer route (sadly) of just placing it on my TV stand, since I have 2 little kids at home. Can anyone recommend a good way to secure it to the wall? I suppose I could also bolt the stand down into the furniture. My old Sony 37" LCD came with a little fabric tab that could be screwed into the wall (or maybe the back of the furniture stand?) to keep it from tipping forward. At this size, I feel I probably need two - a left and a right one. Does anyone do anything similar? Are there small products for sale that are compatible? Any good tips for making this as pretty as possible will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
post #706 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgh71 View Post

So, I'm pretty sure I'm going for the 65" GT50. Unfortunately, my super tells me I have no studs, just drywall where my TV is. He says he hangs his 60" LED with wingnut bolts, which although is surely lighter, sounds insane to me. Feel free to comment...

Anyway, I plan the safer route (sadly) of just placing it on my TV stand, since I have 2 little kids at home. Can anyone recommend a good way to secure it to the wall? I suppose I could also bolt the stand down into the furniture. My old Sony 37" LCD came with a little fabric tab that could be screwed into the wall (or maybe the back of the furniture stand?) to keep it from tipping forward. At this size, I feel I probably need two - a left and a right one. Does anyone do anything similar? Are there small products for sale that are compatible? Any good tips for making this as pretty as possible will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

How about using the wall mount holes on the back of the tv to tether it to the stand or wall. Of course don't use bolts that are too long or you'll crack the screen from the inside.
post #707 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgh71 View Post

A few reviews have mentioned that they liked the THX Bright mode. I have a feeling that I will want to use this mode a lot, except for movies in the dark. I don't watch too much tv, say no more than a few hours a day. What does everyone think about using this mode a lot? Do you think the brightness of this mode will cause damage or affect the panel (or colors) in a way that ages it faster?
Thanks!

Additionally, do any owners of a GT50 notice even more buzzing on white screens in THX Bright mode which is quite bright (as per Chad's review for example)?
Thanks Again all!

(many thanks to all the contributors here. I'm a bit of a psycho with any purchase, so AVS has given me the confidence I need to pull the trigger. Thanks everyone!)
post #708 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Nobody covers IR, and there's no need to cover it because IR is temporary and eventually goes away on it's own.

You're probably thinking about Burn In, which is permanent damage but none of the manufacturers or extended warranty providers cover that at all.

Do you think I am being paranoid about IR more than I need to be?

Like I mentioned the games I play tend to have a constant HUD, so I am worried that after hours of playing a game I will have residual effects from the HUD.

I am reading posts about people using 'snowy screens' or other DVD's on loop for 24-48 hours to help IR - just how much are we talking about using these methods?

Is it normal practice that after playing a game to than play something on loop after every instance? or once in awhile? I am asking this because I want to know if I should only run something on loop if I actually see IR, as opposed to just running something on loop as a precautionary method.

I want to have as much knowledge about this as possible, I love the GT50 and right now I am planning on going with a larger size model. If I can't have peace of mind from a warranty, than I will settle with knowing that if anything does happen to the TV I can fix it.

Sorry to be a pain.
post #709 of 9716
I think the GT50's THX day/night modes are a HUGE selling point for anyone not watching in a light controlled room. IMO, every TV needs separate day and night modes for a typical living room. There is just no way one setting can be bright enough for daytime without being too bright at night.
post #710 of 9716
Just pulled the trigger on the P60GT50... should arrive in about a week.

This will be my first plasma tv, coming from a nice Samsung LCD LN52A650, and then a horrible Samsung LED UN60D6000 which I returned immediately (flashlighting, non-uniform lighting.) Can anyone coming from LED/LCD comment on the brightness of the GT50? Will there be a dramatic reduction with this plasma? I do equal amounts of day and night viewing, and my room can't get too dark in the day even with the blinds shut.

Regarding buzz, it was mentioned that distance from the wall matters. In my case, my entertainment center is angled in the corner of the room, with the center of the tv about 4 feet from the corner, but the sides of the tv only a few inches from the walls. Any thoughts as to whether this will help or hurt buzz audibility?

Thanks everyone in advance…
post #711 of 9716
I've had my gt50 for three days and only here buzzing when within one foot of screen.

I find my thx bright mode more then bright enough for my room that has a relatively large window.
post #712 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgh71 View Post

So, I'm pretty sure I'm going for the 65" GT50. Unfortunately, my super tells me I have no studs, just drywall where my TV is. He says he hangs his 60" LED with wingnut bolts, which although is surely lighter, sounds insane to me. Feel free to comment...

Anyway, I plan the safer route (sadly) of just placing it on my TV stand, since I have 2 little kids at home. Can anyone recommend a good way to secure it to the wall? I suppose I could also bolt the stand down into the furniture. My old Sony 37" LCD came with a little fabric tab that could be screwed into the wall (or maybe the back of the furniture stand?) to keep it from tipping forward. At this size, I feel I probably need two - a left and a right one. Does anyone do anything similar? Are there small products for sale that are compatible? Any good tips for making this as pretty as possible will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

By code, there should be studs every 24" on that wall. You might need a stud finder to detect them if you cannot see the drywall nails/screws yourself. Usually you can see them by shining a flashlight flat along the wall.

I think the screw sizes for the back are metric, M8. You can buy short ones at the hardware store. You can also look for small 'chain' (I've seen some in brass) that would fit this screw and then attach to the back of the set. Then attach the other end to the wall using the toggle bolt approach your super suggested.
post #713 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post

By code, there should be studs every 24" on that wall. You might need a stud finder to detect them if you cannot see the drywall nails/screws yourself. Usually you can see them by shining a flashlight flat along the wall.

I think the screw sizes for the back are metric, M8. You can buy short ones at the hardware store. You can also look for small 'chain' (I've seen some in brass) that would fit this screw and then attach to the back of the set. Then attach the other end to the wall using the toggle bolt approach your super suggested.

Thanks weedeater and whipit. Nice ideas to use mounting bolts as anchors.

The wall has metal support, but I think it's actually thick like an I-beam. Super wasn't very clear but it seemed like a non-starter.

Thanks.
post #714 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbiidermen View Post

Do you think I am being paranoid about IR more than I need to be?

I recommend that you start out paranoid about IR and then gradually taper off. You can treat games the same way you need to treat any programming that includes fixed images. Hockey, football are any sporting event are good examples. They all tend to last quite a while. If you mix your bad stuff with good stuff as your normal way of life, then there isn't much to worry about. Early (the first 500 hours in my case) on, go lite on the bad stuff and do as much full screen clean viewing as possible.

We got our display in the spring and I was watching as much football as I wanted by August. Sometimes I watch three games in one day. I do not do what one viewer reported doing. He liked to keep ESPN (patterned side bars and ticker across the bottom of the screen constantly) all day long, much of the time as background. If I wanted to do something like that, I would buy a small LCD display just for ESPN.

Our display probably has 6-8K hours on it and is 4.5 years old. I just checked for IR for the first time. That was after watching a lot of the NFL draft on the NFL network this week. I didn't find any IR.
post #715 of 9716
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive Skype camera to use with the 55GT50?

Thanks,

rac83
post #716 of 9716
my old Panasonic plasma never got ir and I did no prepping at all and watched whatever I wanted but my pioneer kuro did get ir and I did prep for it and watched out what I watched so I don't know what to think anymore
post #717 of 9716
I use the Logitech V-U0022 designed spcifically for skype app on Pannys.
post #718 of 9716
What's up with these retail chains? My boy from PC Richard called me up earlier saying the 60GT50 won't be in for 3 weeks. He also said their store is the only one in the district with a PNE8000 display only set. I was planning on exchanging my 55D8000 this weekend but I guess that's not happening.
post #719 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I recommend that you start out paranoid about IR and then gradually taper off. You can treat games the same way you need to treat any programming that includes fixed images. Hockey, football are any sporting event are good examples. They all tend to last quite a while. If you mix your bad stuff with good stuff as your normal way of life, then there isn't much to worry about. Early (the first 500 hours in my case) on, go lite on the bad stuff and do as much full screen clean viewing as possible.

Thank you for your contribution. I will use your suggestion of trying to watch as much full screen viewing within the first 500 hours as possible.

At the moment I am considering on going with a larger size GT50 (55 or 60) or going with the VT50 55". I am more than happy with the current GT50 I have, honestly the nicest TV I have ever seen in person, but I know I would be even happier with a larger size.
post #720 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhck66 View Post

Hi to All,

I have a question for the owners of the 50' GT50 might be able to answer. I asked the same question in the other forum and have yet to get a reply. It was revealed that the 50' ST50 does not include fans and I was hoping it is likewise for the 50" GT50. So does the 50' model have fans in the rear?

If it has a fan, it's either very quiet or hasn't turned on yet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]