or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 245

post #7321 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

Wow. Haven't seen this issue at all, works just fine here and I'm running wireless.

me either and im using my phones hotspot lol.
post #7322 of 9716
I have the ST. The Netflix issue doesnt seem to happen to everyone but it does to a lot. General consensus is that it is the app. It never happens on my ps3 or bluray player. Only other thing I can think of might be Panasonics Netflix servers. Dont know. One thing for sure is that it doesnt work right.
post #7323 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP33 View Post

Looks like I missed an "n".
I've varied settings between the two THX modes and HD-Masters wide settings. I have a couch as far as 12ft away where you don't notice the pixels as they blend in. I also have a couch that sits around 6 or 7 feet away where you can see them faintly. If you get up to around 3-4 feet away you can make them out very well.

OK. so you may just be noticing dithering when you are that close. I use HD-master night settings and dont notice it from my main viewing position - 13 ft. but up close i can definitely see them. I posted about this when I first got my GT50 and everyone seemed to point me towards dithering. I then validated on the plasmas in the stores. they all do this with plasma.

your other issue where you have a distinct line sounds like a defect.
post #7324 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by stansbrand View Post

me either and im using my phones hotspot lol.

LOL. biggrin.gif
post #7325 of 9716
The buzzing that folks have periodically mentioned on here is PERIODICALLY in effect on my new GT50. It is relatively silent much of the time...occasionally a mild buzz...and tonight while watching a regular DVD it went off to a really "irritatingly significant buzz that was very distracting. This was from 7' away, but I am certain I could have heard it from 12'...dang ! I am just curious as to what "sets it of?" I suppose that it really does not matter. The crux of the matter is that it DOES. I will have to weigh whether or not I want to risk this beyond the Best Buy 30-day "take back." The picture is very good. The only other issue is it seems to be uncharacteristically "slow." I was watching Hawaii-50 tonight and there was (???)...is it macro-blocking? The picture actually broke into blocks on a pan. I thought only cheap TV's of about four-five years ago did that? Isn't that a speed issue? My old Sonys would "block" with a fire scene (had to be one of the most difficult things to get "clean.")
Hmmm....eek.gif
post #7326 of 9716
Kinda weird that the optical audio out from the Panasonic TV app for Amazon isn't Dolby Digital like NetFlix and Vudu. On other platforms, like the PS3, it is. And what really sucks is that it doesn't pass through DD input to the HDMI, and I know why, because my Roku player only has HDMI out, no optical out so all the DD content I get from there like HBO GO, I can only hear in Stereo.
post #7327 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post

Kinda weird that the optical audio out from the Panasonic TV app for Amazon isn't Dolby Digital like NetFlix and Vudu. On other platforms, like the PS3, it is. And what really sucks is that it doesn't pass through DD input to the HDMI, and I know why, because my Roku player only has HDMI out, no optical out so all the DD content I get from there like HBO GO, I can only hear in Stereo.

All you should need it HDMI out.
post #7328 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bartley View Post

Likewise, opening the menu on the Roku clock screensaver buzzes at vivid/cinema. I have my TV on a stand in front of a pair of (useless) french doors. If I open them the buzzing is a tiny bit quieter but still detectable (this just means that it's coming from the rear and bouncing off the doors). I can even hear the buzzing if I open my living room door and the refrigerator (about 25 feet away) coil or whatever is running. I wouldn't care if it was not noticeable during real use, but I noticed the buzzing while watching a CNN reporter talking against the backdrop of the vatican (lots of light coloured stone).
The PQ is great, no dead pixels, nothing else wrong afaict, so yeah, I'm reluctant to exchange it, but I will if Panasonic support doesn't help.

It's funny you mentioned doors behind it. Mine too is in front of doors, in my case a closet. They are 10 feet wide, the width of the room, split into 4 folding panels. The back of the stand is 18" from the doors (plenty of room to open them) and the TV itself is around 30" from the doors. I got the idea to try opening them just to see if maybe the sound was deflecting off the hard wall and back towards the viewing area and amplifying an otherwise minor buzzing problem. The buzzing slightly diminished with them open, but not to the point where it improved things during real content. Plus it looked ridiculous. Had the open doors solved the buzzing problem completely, I would have probably removed the doors and replaced them with neutral colored curtains to let the sound through. But it didn't provide much improvement. I may end up doing that anyway because it would provide a nicer backdrop, we'll see what the new screen does for me.

This isn't an ideal situation, but since I'm stuck in my condo for at least a bit longer, it's the only way it could work with furniture, cable outlets, plugs and sound. Frankly, the previous owner really screwed the place up. The closet the TV is in front of never used to be a closet, he added it as part of his home office so it is basically a walk-in closet with wall to wall doors with a ton of plugs and phone lines, but sadly, no cable and its completely useless for my purposes so it's just filled with excess crap. One of these days I'll be able to get out of the place and have a legitimate home theater. But I'm making it work.
post #7329 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post

Kinda weird that the optical audio out from the Panasonic TV app for Amazon isn't Dolby Digital like NetFlix and Vudu. On other platforms, like the PS3, it is. And what really sucks is that it doesn't pass through DD input to the HDMI, and I know why, because my Roku player only has HDMI out, no optical out so all the DD content I get from there like HBO GO, I can only hear in Stereo.
I have never noticed that. As you probably know, all apps are not the same. Apparently the Viera Amazon app blows. When you say it is not DD, then what is it? I have no way to find out. I am no longer a Prime member. Do you mean it is not 5.1. DD can be 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, etc. So just because it is not 5.1 does not mean that it is not DD if thats what you are thinking.
post #7330 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzchard View Post

OK. so you may just be noticing dithering when you are that close. I use HD-master night settings and dont notice it from my main viewing position - 13 ft. but up close i can definitely see them. I posted about this when I first got my GT50 and everyone seemed to point me towards dithering. I then validated on the plasmas in the stores. they all do this with plasma.

your other issue where you have a distinct line sounds like a defect.


I swapped out my cable last night which was a 1.3 HDMI cable with a 1.4 HDMI high speed cable. I don't know "how" but it seems to have cleaned up the picture more. My Onkyo is an older 1.3 version so I don't know how it would make any difference but it seems to have cleaned up the blacks to where there is very little of the issue. I took the 1.3HDMI cable that was there and plugged into another TV in the house and it didn't exhibit any issues. Chalk it up as a WTF/Placebo effect.

The green vertical line of pixels though is clearly a defect in the set. I just need to decide on what I want to do about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

The only other issue is it seems to be uncharacteristically "slow." I was watching Hawaii-50 tonight and there was (???)...is it macro-blocking? The picture actually broke into blocks on a pan. I thought only cheap TV's of about four-five years ago did that? Isn't that a speed issue? My old Sonys would "block" with a fire scene (had to be one of the most difficult things to get "clean.")
Hmmm....eek.gif

I've owned quite few different TV's (DLP,LCD, etc) over the years and my old 5 year old Sony XBR6 LCD that I do most of my "TV" watching on has great video processing. It's better than any of the sets I've owned. I've noticed the same problems with my set you have. Sometimes the picture just becomes a pixelated mess but this only happens on cable shows or shows off of cable I've DVR'd. I chalk it up to crappy processing on the Panasonic and the compression used via cable.

Just my "guess" though.
Edited by BDP33 - 3/5/13 at 5:55am
post #7331 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

All you should need it HDMI out.

Uh, no. See the TV optical audio TOS Link only outputs stereo from the 4 HDMI inputs. The consensus is its because of copyright. So The HDMI from the Roku has a 5.1 audio track but coming out of the TV its only stereo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I have never noticed that. As you probably know, all apps are not the same. Apparently the Viera Amazon app blows. When you say it is not DD, then what is it? I have no way to find out. I am no longer a Prime member. Do you mean it is not 5.1. DD can be 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, etc. So just because it is not 5.1 does not mean that it is not DD if thats what you are thinking.

My DD surround headphones have a Dolby indicator that lights up when its a DD feed. It doesn't for the Amazon App. It does for content indicated in the TV's NetFlix app which are indicated as 5.1 and the TV's Vudu app which says its output is 7.1. Material that says 5.1 on the Amazon app from the PS3, the indicator lights up. For the same material on Viera Amazon App it doesn't nor does it say it is 5.1 like it does on the PS3 version of the app.
post #7332 of 9716
My question is when or if the Viera NF app will be updated. It has to be...for one because it currently doesnt support 3D, which was sort of a shock to me being that the VuDu app does and two, that flickering issue when changing resolution. VuDu is clearly the best streaming app on Viera which makes me wonder why Panasonic neglects the NF app, particularly when they have the NF button on the remote.
post #7333 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post

Uh, no. See the TV optical audio TOS Link only outputs stereo from the 4 HDMI inputs. The consensus is its because of copyright. So The HDMI from the Roku has a 5.1 audio track but coming out of the TV its only stereo.


My DD surround headphones have a Dolby indicator that lights up when its a DD feed. It doesn't for the Amazon App. It does for content indicated in the TV's NetFlix app which are indicated as 5.1 and the TV's Vudu app which says its output is 7.1. Material that says 5.1 on the Amazon app from the PS3, the indicator lights up. For the same material on Viera Amazon App it doesn't nor does it say it is 5.1 like it does on the PS3 version of the app.
Very interesting. If the Panny Amazon app is not DD then it would almost have to be PCM. I have never heard of a tv outputting anything other than DD. Its unlikely that the tv has a DD decoder (which it obviously does) and would also output PCM just for that app. I wish I still had my Prime membership so that I could get details. My receiver would give me more detail than your headphones and we could see what the real deal,is. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
post #7334 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by synistr View Post

My question is when or if the Viera NF app will be updated. It has to be...for one because it currently doesnt support 3D, which was sort of a shock to me being that the VuDu app does and two, that flickering issue when changing resolution. VuDu is clearly the best streaming app on Viera which makes me wonder why Panasonic neglects the NF app, particularly when they have the NF button on the remote.
Good question. I disagree though that the app has to be updated. The 2013s are out and time is getting short. In fact its unlikely imo.
post #7335 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post

Uh, no. See the TV optical audio TOS Link only outputs stereo from the 4 HDMI inputs. The consensus is its because of copyright. So The HDMI from the Roku has a 5.1 audio track but coming out of the TV its only stereo.


My DD surround headphones have a Dolby indicator that lights up when its a DD feed. It doesn't for the Amazon App. It does for content indicated in the TV's NetFlix app which are indicated as 5.1 and the TV's Vudu app which says its output is 7.1. Material that says 5.1 on the Amazon app from the PS3, the indicator lights up. For the same material on Viera Amazon App it doesn't nor does it say it is 5.1 like it does on the PS3 version of the app.
Well then consider my lucky. Because I get 5.1 just fine using either optical or just an HDMI cable.
post #7336 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Well then consider my lucky. Because I get 5.1 just fine using either optical or just an HDMI cable.
On the Viera Amazon app?
post #7337 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

On the Viera Amazon app?

Haven't tried the app within the tv. But I know I get it with the net flix Viera app. Ill try the app when I get home vs the ps3 or PC.

I remember having a debate like this a while ago. I was using optical out from my tv to my receiver and was getting full DD signal on anything I used within it. Even channels from the coax cable.

Here is an audio question. Is PCM better then DD? Or is it the same thing? Whenever I play Black Ops it tells me it's getting a PCM192 signal.
post #7338 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Haven't tried the app within the tv. But I know I get it with the net flix Viera app. Ill try the app when I get home vs the ps3 or PC.

I remember having a debate like this a while ago. I was using optical out from my tv to my receiver and was getting full DD signal on anything I used within it. Even channels from the coax cable.

Here is an audio question. Is PCM better then DD? Or is it the same thing? Whenever I play Black Ops it tells me it's getting a PCM192 signal.
Without trying to fill a page. Simply put they are both fine. Just different. Nothing to be concerned about. In fact a pcm/192 signal in particular is great.
post #7339 of 9716
JukeBox360,
Is that PCM signal coming direct from your Xbox via HDMI or other digital connection to your AVR or is it coming back from our Panny via toslink etc.?
post #7340 of 9716
Now you guys have confused me again. Does the tv/ Viera pass DD via arc or not? I'm not using the tv as a switch for my devices, they all go through my Denon 2313. At some point I gave up using Viera apps because everything is easier and better looking through Roku, but I'd still like to know.
post #7341 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Now you guys have confused me again. Does the tv/ Viera pass DD via arc or not? I'm not using the tv as a switch for my devices, they all go through my Denon 2313. At some point I gave up using Viera apps because everything is easier and better looking through Roku, but I'd still like to know.
Yes. Someone else is saying that the Amazon app ONLY is not giving him a DD signal. He is using headphones and I am not sure yet what exactly the deal is. I dont have an Amazon Prime membership any more so I cant check anything.
The tv has a built in DD decoder so technically that should be the ONLY thing that you can get.
post #7342 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

JukeBox360,
Is that PCM signal coming direct from your Xbox via HDMI or other digital connection to your AVR or is it coming back from our Panny via toslink etc.?
He didnt mention anything about an xbox but I will let him respond further.
post #7343 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

He didnt mention anything about an xbox but I will let him respond further.

You are correct. When I read "Black Ops" my brain immediately thought Xbox due to his forum name "360" and my sons Black Ops addiction on his 360.biggrin.gif.. Insert PS3 and/or PC as applicable..
post #7344 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

JukeBox360,
Is that PCM signal coming direct from your Xbox via HDMI or other digital connection to your AVR or is it coming back from our Panny via toslink etc.?
It seems to work either way. And it's ps3. Weather I use ARC HDMI from penny to AVR or toslink to AVR I always seem to get the same DD either way.
post #7345 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Good question. I disagree though that the app has to be updated. The 2013s are out and time is getting short. In fact its unlikely imo.

Well, I was asking that because I was wondering if a NF update would be applied across the Viera platform as opposed to being model specific. You dont think that is the case however? That is really lame that they never made a 3D supported Netflix app knowing darn well NF was going to be releasing 3D titles before the model year was up. So when you go to the Viera store it would download NF app based on model year/specs?
post #7346 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

It seems to work either way. And it's ps3. Weather I use ARC HDMI from penny to AVR or toslink to AVR I always seem to get the same DD either way.

That would be interesting. Even the manual states something to the effect: audio "Not From" organic sources to the TV (organic meaning: NF, Vudu, Amazon, YouTube apps etc) will be stereo only.
I know if I select the GT50 toslink source on my AVR, regardless of the source going "into" the TV its PCM yet stereo only back at the AVR. I'll check again tonight.
post #7347 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

I just use..

Contrast - 80
Brightness - 45
Temp - Warm 2
Color 45
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 50

HDMI: Graphics

The contrast is only 80 because I don't believe it gets any brighter after that point. Brightness at 45 is pretty close to calibrated custom settings, but still slightly brighter due to the built in AGC, with dark scenes being the worst. I switch between 75 and 50 sharpness, but for the most part I keep it at 50. Zero is fine for blu-ray and most TV shows, but doesn't work for me in games.
I can't find hdmi:graphics
post #7348 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post

I can't find hdmi:graphics

It's in there. It's under one of the two HDMI options.
post #7349 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

...
The tv has a built in DD decoder so technically that should be the ONLY thing that you can get.

No, that's not even close to true. The GT50 also has the ability the output PCM audio. What it does not provide is the ability to choose between the two.
post #7350 of 9716
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

No, that's not even close to true. The GT50 also has the ability the output PCM audio. What it does not provide is the ability to choose between the two.
OK. Then that clears up some of the confusion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]