or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 285

post #8521 of 9713
Thats a good question. Plasmas run pretty warm anyway. They definitely dont need any help.
post #8522 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenE View Post

We have a similar set up. Finally installed a mantel to block heat, so now we can run our gas fireplace... but now the weather is too warm to run the fireplace. Have you run yours with the TV there? I'm interested in knowing if a mantel blocks enough heat.

I have a wood burning fireplace and it gets pretty hot in general. But above the mantel stays nice and cool. Used an IR gun to test once and it was room temp-ish.
post #8523 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzchard View Post

I have a wood burning fireplace and it gets pretty hot in general. But above the mantel stays nice and cool. Used an IR gun to test once and it was room temp-ish.
Good to know. Sounds like you do a good job of maintaining the fireplace.
post #8524 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenE View Post

We have a similar set up. Finally installed a mantel to block heat, so now we can run our gas fireplace... but now the weather is too warm to run the fireplace. Have you run yours with the TV there? I'm interested in knowing if a mantel blocks enough heat.

I have not run the fireplace with this new tv, actually turned the pilot off, but I did run it with the old 46", (avatar), with no problem, but we never used the fireplace for the heat, just for ambiance, always ran it as low as possible.........I did see this thread though:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1256619/flat-panel-over-wood-burning-stove

Hope this helps.
post #8525 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl20 View Post

My 65" GT-50



Thanks to everyone here that helped me get up & running.
Sorry for the cel phone quality pic.

Others:
Denon amp
Sony 3D BluRay
Sony subs
Polk Audio mains, surrounds & center.
Looks nice. But it's a bit high. Congrats on the tv and set up!
post #8526 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl20 View Post

My 65" GT-50

Thanks to everyone here that helped me get up & running.
Looks nice. But it's a bit high. Congrats on the tv and set up!
Do you have your center speaker angled down a bit? Do any of your movie sound effects ever seem like they are coming out of your fireplace? wink.gif
Edited by htwaits - 4/3/13 at 4:18pm
post #8527 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Looks nice. But it's a bit high. Congrats on the tv and set up!

Thanks & the bottom of the tv is at about eye level, with the center speaker it couldn't go any lower.
post #8528 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl20 View Post

Thanks & the bottom of the tv is at about eye level, with the center speaker it couldn't go any lower.
htwaits has a good point though. You should make sure that the center is flush with the front of the mantel and it would probably help to angle it down a little. You can just put something in the back of it to raise the back a little.
post #8529 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Do you have your center speaker angled down a bit? Do any of your movie sound effects ever seem like they are coming out of your fireplace? wink.gif

Nope not angled down & no, the effects sound fine because the soundstage is about 2 feet above the fireplace. The mains have 2 drivers in the upper part of the speaker with a bass port at the bottom.
post #8530 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

htwaits has a good point though. You should make sure that the center is flush with the front of the mantel and it would probably help to angle it down a little. You can just put something in the back of it to raise the back a little.

It is flush with the front of the of the mantel, and at ear level, if I angle it down I think it would be out of whack with the mains.
post #8531 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl20 View Post

It is flush with the front of the of the mantel, and at ear level, if I angle it down I think it would be out of whack with the mains.

Word of advice, only post pictures if something is wrong, otherwise, well you get the point.
post #8532 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Word of advice, only post pictures if something is wrong, otherwise, well you get the point.
LOL! Just thought I would share, I love it, I think it looks great, a little "cinematic" but it's really the only option I had other than going smaller, and the sound system sounds killer. Thanks again all!
smile.gif
post #8533 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl20 View Post

LOL! Just thought I would share, I love it, I think it looks great, a little "cinematic" but it's really the only option I had other than going smaller, and the sound system sounds killer. Thanks again all!
smile.gif
If the center is at ear level then of course theres no need to mess with angling it. Looks great and Im glad youre happy with it.
post #8534 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Word of advice, only post pictures if something is wrong, otherwise, well you get the point.
Most people are just trying to help. I dont think anyone was criticizing. I certainly wasnt.
post #8535 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl20 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

htwaits has a good point though. You should make sure that the center is flush with the front of the mantel and it would probably help to angle it down a little. You can just put something in the back of it to raise the back a little.

It is flush with the front of the of the mantel, and at ear level, if I angle it down I think it would be out of whack with the mains.
I was assuming that your ears would be below your mantle. What you want is for all your tweeters to be pointed as close as possible to ear level all the way across the front. My ears, when they are supported by our couch, are about a foot below the mantle, but we don't use our mantle. I had to elevate the angle of our center channel, otherwise it's tweeter would be pointing at our knees. wink.gif

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. smile.gif
post #8536 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I was assuming that your ears would be below your mantle. What you want is for all your tweeters to be pointed as close as possible to ear level all the way across the front. My ears, when they are supported by our couch, are about a foot below the mantle, but we don't use our mantle. I had to elevate the angle of our center channel, otherwise it's tweeter would be pointing at our knees. wink.gif

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. smile.gif
I assumed the same. Its pretty unusual for a mantle to be at head height when youre sitting down.
post #8537 of 9713
Has anybody heard if we are getting an update for the new viera connect home screen that this years panasonics have? Just curious.
post #8538 of 9713
W
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl20 View Post

My 65" GT-50



Thanks to everyone here that helped me get up & running.
Sorry for the cel phone quality pic.

Others:
Denon amp
Sony 3D BluRay
Sony subs
Polk Audio mains, surrounds & center.

Why do you hang it so high?

Does your neck hurt when viewing it?
post #8539 of 9713
^^^Looks to me like he didn't have much of an option. If it's tilted down, it shouldn't be much of a neck strain at all.
post #8540 of 9713
It's defiantly on the high side but I still love the overall look. Ill never understand why some people don't wall mount a tv. I never did because I thought it would be expensive and hard. $35 and 30 mind later I had it on a wall looking Sexy. Now my daughter can no long reach the tv. Not worried about it tipping over. Ill never go back to a stand again!
post #8541 of 9713
Do any of you use the S-Curve gamma setting when watching 3D?
post #8542 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavius View Post

Do any of you use the S-Curve gamma setting when watching 3D?
No. But I use it sometimes during the day.
post #8543 of 9713
Just for 3D or 2D as well? For 3D it helps with the brightness as I find the other presets and even many custom calibrations to be too dark. It's only like that in 3D mode and I feel the S-Curve helps.
post #8544 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Has anybody heard if we are getting an update for the new viera connect home screen that this years panasonics have? Just curious.

I heard that we might. Call, tweet, facebook Panasonic to let them know how much you want that. Our tvs are capable of handling it. wink.gif
post #8545 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl20 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

htwaits has a good point though. You should make sure that the center is flush with the front of the mantel and it would probably help to angle it down a little. You can just put something in the back of it to raise the back a little.

It is flush with the front of the of the mantel, and at ear level, if I angle it down I think it would be out of whack with the mains.
I was assuming that your ears would be below your mantle. What you want is for all your tweeters to be pointed as close as possible to ear level all the way across the front. My ears, when they are supported by our couch, are about a foot below the mantle, but we don't use our mantle. I had to elevate the angle of our center channel, otherwise it's tweeter would be pointing at our knees. wink.gif

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. smile.gif

I spent a lot of time today researching in-wall speaker possibilities (Miccas & Monoprice). I've also been searching for inspiration for a new cabinet design (for hubby to build). So, to say the least, I also saw a lot of other people's setups. With the new low cabinets trend I rarely saw the tweeters lined up and often not at ear level either. I began to feel a little hopeless, especially since almost everything I saw indicated that the problem with my back surrounds wouldn't be easily resolved, and would most likely end up resulting in the same problem people experience when they start small home renovation projects - they grow. I finally found a discussion on AVS that helped- I raised them to standing ear height and tweeked my avr. Now I can run Audyssey again. It's not easy being a girl in love with av tech. Sometimes I wish I could just be happy with the room looking "pretty." I feel sorry for you guys who have to put your stuff in the wrong, and often worst, place. Just know that my husband doesn't get it either and if I weren't the one spending the bucks....
post #8546 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I feel sorry for you guys who have to put your stuff in the wrong, and often worst, place. Just know that my husband doesn't get it either and if I weren't the one spending the bucks....
It's possible to get things close to right if you create a mess first. We started with a $78 black low wide IKEA TV stand with space for enough components to create a massive tangle of wires behind the stand. It also provided space on top for a fat silver 2004 50" Samsung DLP. There were also surround speakers on ugly black stands at each end of the couch -- ear level of coarse.

One day in 2007 I whispered to my wife, "Imagine replacing those surround speakers with in-ceiling speakers, imagine all those components and wires on the other side of the wall, imagine a thin 60" piano black Kuro hanging on the wall, imagine smaller more slender tower speakers finished in piano black, and now imagine an $1,100 black steel table, with a dark gray granite top, the exact width of the Kuro." cool.gif

I didn't mention the massive sub-woofer that's now in the corner where it also serves as an end table for the sectional couch. She got along so well with Jeff Meier that he didn't leave until almost 1:00 AM the night he came to calibrate the TV and the surround sound. smile.gif

Five and a half years of movie and sports bliss for both of us. Of course the Kuro is a "thick" flat panel now. biggrin.gif
Edited by htwaits - 4/5/13 at 12:47am
post #8547 of 9713
$1000+ for a table to go underneath a tv? lol
Just build one for half the cost next time.
post #8548 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

$1000+ for a table to go underneath a tv? lol
Just build one for half the cost next time.
It replaced one that cost $78. I think you may have missed the point. smile.gif
post #8549 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

W
Why do you hang it so high?

Does your neck hurt when viewing it?

Well, I coudn't have hung it any lower & I do not watch it from underneath, I'm at a 14' viewing distance, it is tilted down, so it's actually a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

^^^Looks to me like he didn't have much of an option. If it's tilted down, it shouldn't be much of a neck strain at all.

Bingo.
smile.gif
Edited by jpl20 - 4/5/13 at 4:56pm
post #8550 of 9713
my tv is above our mantel and I never had neck strain since i mounted it...neither has my wife.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]