or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 286

post #8551 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavius View Post

Just for 3D or 2D as well? For 3D it helps with the brightness as I find the other presets and even many custom calibrations to be too dark. It's only like that in 3D mode and I feel the S-Curve helps.

Can I ask what S-Curve setting seems to work best for you?
post #8552 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupterr View Post

Can I ask what S-Curve setting seems to work best for you?
There is only 1. It is a gamma setting like 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6.
post #8553 of 9713
^Thanks I'll play around with it. I was just wondering which gamma setting seems to work best for the op.
post #8554 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

W
Why do you hang it so high?

Does your neck hurt when viewing it?

Depends how far he's sitting also. If there's 8+/- feet viewing distance then its not that high at all.

The installation looks nice & clean. Perfect setup given the layout of the room. I'd have done it exactly the same. Nice.
post #8555 of 9713
I have only used it in 3D mode and there is only one setting for it. The other gamma settings are numbers ranging from 1.8 to 2.6 if I remember correctly. In 3D, 2.2 seems more washed out than S curve which yields a brighter and warmer image in my opinion. But I would only use it for 3D.
post #8556 of 9713
We just took delivery of a 60" model (P60GT50)--wow! The black levels, natural hues, and overall detail are to superior to that of our 8-year old Panasonic TH-50PX500U. Plus, it's far more energy efficient and cost about one-half of the old one!
Edited by bwv1080 - 4/5/13 at 4:11pm
post #8557 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv1080 View Post

We just took delivery of a 60" model--wow! The black levels, natural hues, and overall detail are to superior to that of our 8-year old Panasonic TH-50PX500U. Plus, it's far more energy efficient and cost about one-half of the old one!


It gets better as the panel ages, check out the settings on this thread and choose the best one that looks best to you. wink.gif
post #8558 of 9713
I live in a rented apartment and don't think i could make the holes in the wall necessary to hang my TV.
post #8559 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin96 View Post

Depends how far he's sitting also. If there's 8+/- feet viewing distance then its not that high at all.

The installation looks nice & clean. Perfect setup given the layout of the room. I'd have done it exactly the same. Nice.

Thanks! the viewing distance is 14'.
Edited by jpl20 - 4/5/13 at 4:55pm
post #8560 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers10 View Post

I live in a rented apartment and don't think i could make the holes in the wall necessary to hang my TV.
You can always patch and repaint when you take the TV down.
post #8561 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers10 View Post

I live in a rented apartment and don't think i could make the holes in the wall necessary to hang my TV.

they are easy to fix.
post #8562 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl20 View Post

Thanks! the viewing distance is 14".

I think you mean 14' (( 14" is shorthand for 14 inches, 14' is shorthand for 14 feet )) I completely understand why the TV is where it is but I have to agree that being up that high on the wall is not an optimal situation. Ultimately, you just have to use the space you have in as practical a way as you can. I wouldn't spend too much time trying to rework the speakers unless you just can't stand things as they are. In-wall speakers certainly streamline the room, but in your case you will be dealing with an external, insulated, load bearing wall with windows and a fire box. So you are going to have additional headers, framing, and a vapor barrier to deal with. Spend some quality time with a stud scanner to see what's under the sheeting. Mounting in-wall speakers is simple; running the wires is where it can get a bit "interesting".
post #8563 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers10 View Post

I live in a rented apartment and don't think i could make the holes in the wall necessary to hang my TV.

Don't let that stop you. Seriously, all you will need to do is fill the 4 holes left from the lag bolts with some patch or joint compound, lightly sand them after an hour, then touch up the paint. Total time for the mini wall repair is about 3 minutes of actual hands on time. Supplies will be less than $8 if you have to buy everything.
post #8564 of 9713
I was all set to take my 60GT50 back to Best Buy and wait for the 60ST60 to become available. I received great advice from a very knowledgable person here on AVS that the ST60 is a better display than the GT50. But the more I thought about it I'm going to stay with the 60GT50. My thoughts are I could get a 60ST60 that buzzes or has IR issues where my 60GT50 has neither issue. Plus the odds of damaging the 60GT50 in the process of returning it which would be very unfortunate eek.gif. So even though the blacks are better with the ST60, is $100 less and comes with two pairs of 3D glasses I'm going to stay a happy 60GT50 owner smile.gif.

Bill
post #8565 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I was all set to take my 60GT50 back to Best Buy and wait for the 60ST60 to become available. I received great advice from a very knowledgable person here on AVS that the ST60 is a better display than the GT50. But the more I thought about it I'm going to stay with the 60GT50. My thoughts are I could get a 60ST60 that buzzes or has IR issues where my 60GT50 has neither issue. Plus the odds of damaging the 60GT50 in the process of returning it which would be very unfortunate eek.gif. So even though the blacks are better with the ST60, is $100 less and comes with two pairs of 3D glasses I'm going to stay a happy 60GT50 owner smile.gif.

Bill

I haven't seen any first hand reviews of the ST60. Some of the features sound good on paper but that may not translate to anything in practice. I wonder how many people went with GT50 because of the 46,000 shades of gray that do ... do .... do ...... do nothing anyone can see smile.gif Maybe they will increase the shades of gray again, how about 78,000 this time, and no one will see them either.
post #8566 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

I haven't seen any first hand reviews of the ST60.

I guess you haven't looked that hard wink.gif.

Bill
post #8567 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I was all set to take my 60GT50 back to Best Buy and wait for the 60ST60 to become available. I received great advice from a very knowledgable person here on AVS that the ST60 is a better display than the GT50. But the more I thought about it I'm going to stay with the 60GT50. My thoughts are I could get a 60ST60 that buzzes or has IR issues where my 60GT50 has neither issue. Plus the odds of damaging the 60GT50 in the process of returning it which would be very unfortunate eek.gif. So even though the blacks are better with the ST60, is $100 less and comes with two pairs of 3D glasses I'm going to stay a happy 60GT50 owner smile.gif.

Bill

I am thinking the same Bill. I have had my 60GT50 for 2 weeks now and am pretty satisfied so far. The ST60 may be a little better but by how much really? I have no ir or buzzing myself, and the picture is really good on almost all content. I'm still going to think about it for a little, but most likely am going to keep my 60GT50 as well.

I still can't believe how good the speaker system sounds on my unit. I turned on the TV to just go thru some channels and see what's on. Elton John was on Palladia and the picture and sound was really nice. It can't compare to my HT but this tv sounds darn good on it's own. The ST60 does not have this sound..that's for sure. It's the whole package for me and sound is part of that package.
post #8568 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

I think you mean 14' (( 14" is shorthand for 14 inches, 14' is shorthand for 14 feet )) I completely understand why the TV is where it is but I have to agree that being up that high on the wall is not an optimal situation. Ultimately, you just have to use the space you have in as practical a way as you can. I wouldn't spend too much time trying to rework the speakers unless you just can't stand things as they are. In-wall speakers certainly streamline the room, but in your case you will be dealing with an external, insulated, load bearing wall with windows and a fire box. So you are going to have additional headers, framing, and a vapor barrier to deal with. Spend some quality time with a stud scanner to see what's under the sheeting. Mounting in-wall speakers is simple; running the wires is where it can get a bit "interesting".

Yup, typo, 14', and I wasn't the one that had the post on reworking the speakers........
post #8569 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavius View Post

I have only used it in 3D mode and there is only one setting for it. The other gamma settings are numbers ranging from 1.8 to 2.6 if I remember correctly. In 3D, 2.2 seems more washed out than S curve which yields a brighter and warmer image in my opinion. But I would only use it for 3D.

Thanks for the input! The next time I watch 3d content I will look at the S Curve setting.
post #8570 of 9713
Honestly. If you want to get rid of something just because something better came out. You'll never be happy lol..
post #8571 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupterr View Post

I am thinking the same Bill. I have had my 60GT50 for 2 weeks now and am pretty satisfied so far. The ST60 may be a little better but by how much really? I have no ir or buzzing myself, and the picture is really good on almost all content. I'm still going to think about it for a little, but most likely am going to keep my 60GT50 as well.

My thoughts as well in that how much better will those differences be. I'm no videophile so the improvements might be lost on me smile.gif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Honestly. If you want to get rid of something just because something better came out. You'll never be happy lol..

To each his own smile.gif. But I guess you don't look at things like this that way wink.gif.

Bill
post #8572 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I guess you haven't looked that hard wink.gif.

Bill

No, I have not but I am curious. Can you point me to a credible hands on side by side comparison between the ST60 and any of the xT50 line. What are they saying about the scaler in the new set? Has the softness in 720p been remedied? And obviously, what about the black level, brightness, and relative daytime contrast? To me, these were the "weaknesses" of the GT50. Have these been improved? I'd love to see the side by side images showcasing these topics
post #8573 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

No, I have not but I am curious. Can you point me to a credible hands on side by side comparison between the ST60 and any of the xT50 line. What are they saying about the scaler in the new set? Has the softness in 720p been remedied? And obviously, what about the black level, brightness, and relative daytime contrast? To me, these were the "weaknesses" of the GT50. Have these been improved? I'd love to see the side by side images showcasing these topics

Check out the ST60 thread and you will see some thoughts from some well respected AVS members. Those thoughts might not be as indepth as you want but the ST60 looks to be a very impressive display.

Bill
post #8574 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I feel sorry for you guys who have to put your stuff in the wrong, and often worst, place. Just know that my husband doesn't get it either and if I weren't the one spending the bucks....
It's possible to get things close to right if you create a mess first. We started with a $78 black low wide IKEA TV stand with space for enough components to create a massive tangle of wires behind the stand. It also provided space on top for a fat silver 2004 50" Samsung DLP. There were also surround speakers on ugly black stands at each end of the couch -- ear level of coarse.

One day in 2007 I whispered to my wife, "Imagine replacing those surround speakers with in-ceiling speakers, imagine all those components and wires on the other side of the wall, imagine a thin 60" piano black Kuro hanging on the wall, imagine smaller more slender tower speakers finished in piano black, and now imagine an $1,100 black steel table, with a dark gray granite top, the exact width of the Kuro." cool.gif

I didn't mention the massive sub-woofer that's now in the corner where it also serves as an end table for the sectional couch. She got along so well with Jeff Meier that he didn't leave until almost 1:00 AM the night he came to calibrate the TV and the surround sound. smile.gif

Five and a half years of movie and sports bliss for both of us. Of course the Kuro is a "thick" flat panel now. biggrin.gif

Nice. Have you posted your setup any where on AVS?
post #8575 of 9713
post #8576 of 9713
Waiting for my GT50 60" to get here early next week. Going to put the ST50 50" in the bedroom. It's been the best TV i've ever had and i don't expect anything less of the GT50. I'm sure that the size of the 60" will be a bit overwhelming at first but i couldn't see going up just 5 inches from my current TV in the living room.
post #8577 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post


Nice. Have you posted your setup any where on AVS?
Not yet, but I was mostly interested in the "negotiation". wink.gif
post #8578 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFabozzi View Post


That's some amazing picture quality you've got there. The amount of detail is unheard of.
post #8579 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers10 View Post

Waiting for my GT50 60" to get here early next week. Going to put the ST50 50" in the bedroom. It's been the best TV i've ever had and i don't expect anything less of the GT50. I'm sure that the size of the 60" will be a bit overwhelming at first but i couldn't see going up just 5 inches from my current TV in the living room.

If you like the st50 you will also like the gt50. The PQ is pretty much equal. Depending on your viewing distance, the 60gt50 may not look as sharp as the 50st50 but its just a size effect. I started with the 60gt50 in the great room about 10 months ago then added a 50st50 to the bedroom a month ago when Sears was practically giving them away. Both sets give very nice PQ. The only thing I noticed is that the screen on the GT looks almost black with a very subtle purple tint when OFF in a daylight room whereas the ST isn't as dark and has a distinct greenish-gray tint. When they are turned on you can't see any of that but I can only guess the GT should give better daytime performance. I never watch the set in the bedroom during the day so I really didn't care.

Anyway ... You will like the GT.
post #8580 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post


Nice. Have you posted your setup any where on AVS?
Not yet, but I was mostly interested in the "negotiation". wink.gif

Yeah, you're a smart negotiator. Good negotiations result in both parties being pleased. wink.gif

But you did make me curious, your setup sounds awesome.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]