or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 291

post #8701 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Well much to my dismay my 60GT50 has started buzzing when there is bright content on the screen frown.gif. I checked for this when I first bought it and it was hardly audible with my ear to the back of the panel. Now I can hear it from 8' away with the sound muted. I have three days left on my return timeframe. So I'm not sure if I should return it or have a tech come out to look at it. I'm leaning towards returning it and waiting for the 60ST60. Either way it is a PITA to return the plasma and reinstall my old one.

Bill

A few weeks ago my set just instantly started buzzing loud enough to hear it 20 feet away over the normal speaker volume. It did it for about 2 hours then stopped and went back to its usual quiet operation. My return period is long since dead and I'm probably close to the end of the 1 year warantee at this point. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to pack it up and try a 2013 model (Panasonic or Samsung).

That 2 hour period was horrid. There is no way on earth I could have lived with that; you may be headed in that direction. Take action while you still can.
post #8702 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Thanks for your response. I did figure out that I was just listening to the TV with the volume too low. I turned up the volume and the left speaker evened out with the right one. I, too, have the 60GT50. The sound is very good on the TV. It does have a built-in subwoofer. I think it can hit 20Hz. wink.gif

Good to see it's working now. If it goes down to 20Hz I guess I might sell my sub and use the GT50. Anyone know of a way to hook the GT50's subwoofer to my AVR..rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Well much to my dismay my 60GT50 has started buzzing when there is bright content on the screen frown.gif. I checked for this when I first bought it and it was hardly audible with my ear to the back of the panel. Now I can hear it from 8' away with the sound muted. I have three days left on my return timeframe. So I'm not sure if I should return it or have a tech come out to look at it. I'm leaning towards returning it and waiting for the 60ST60. Either way it is a PITA to return the plasma and reinstall my old one.

Bill

So sorry to hear this Bill. Have you tried unplugging the GT50 from the ac outlet to see if it might clear up? I have 3 days left myself to return, all is still fine with mine. Can I ask what build date yours is? I doubt I will return this tv. The Masters looked just excellent on it and I'm pretty happy with all aspects of the TV.
post #8703 of 9713
Just FYI, I do not make any claim to its accuracy, from the "Panasonic unveils the 2013 models" thread....

From Consumer Reports:

The bad news for plasma fans is Panasonic confirmed that it will no longer develop new plasma panels at its R&D labs, as those resources will now be committed to OLED TV development. So the ZT60s may be the best plasma TVs you'll ever be able to buy, at least from Panasonic. That does not mean, however, that Panasonic is pulling the plug on its plasma TV busness—it will continue selling plasma TVs for the foreseeable future. [Note: Following several reports about the company's plasma R&D facilities closing, Panasonic issued this statement: "While the Smart VIERA ZT Series introduces a new level of plasma picture quality, we believe there is still room for further improvement and intend to continue to research ways to take our plasma technology to even higher levels where it also has the potential to be applied in our other Plasma series in the future."-Ed.]
post #8704 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post


That 2 hour period was horrid. There is no way on earth I could have lived with that; you may be headed in that direction. Take action while you still can.
If it happens again, check for a failing power supply first. That's a reasonable repair.
post #8705 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If it happens again, check for a failing power supply first. That's a reasonable repair.

I'll keep that in mind smile.gif Not sure I would qualify any repair on a 1 year old TV as "reasonable" regardless of the cost but I understand what you are saying. My old Mitsubishi tube set ran flawlessly for about 13 years before I had to solder in a new 20 cent capacitor. I also have two prior Samsung LCDs "gifted" to family members that have never had a hick-up. That's reasonable to me smile.gif
post #8706 of 9713
Things have gotten quiet around here, I suppose due to the new sets being released. I've been browsing the F8500 and ST60 threads and all I see is how bright the F8500 is or how much more deep the blacks are on the ST60. Anyways, I was watching Dark Shadows(terrible movie) earlier and just got finished watching Gangster Squad on Blu Ray. Both movies rely heavily on blacks and shadow details and honestly, I couldn't help but think to myself....Are people insane?!?! How much more black do you want?? Besides moving to 4K or OLED...how much more HD can you get?? tongue.gif
I'm aware that technology moves at a rapid pace but if you're not a calibrator, taking measures...does a .00002 or whatever really matter in REAL time? I mean seriously, my sets not even calibrated and IMO it looks unbelievable! I've seen both the F8500 and ST60 in person in a Magnolia room and neither of them made me want to tell my buddy, hey let me do an exchange and believe me, it's that simple for me wink.gif
post #8707 of 9713
I haven't seen either the F8500 or the ST60 but while I'm sure there is some improvement , I doubt they are big improvements. People are already complaining on the Samsung f8500 with bad fluctuating brightness watching hockey. Every set has its issues I guess, mine did that loud buzzin as well like Tpollagi for a few hours than went back to normal. Other than that, it has been flawless.
post #8708 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

Things have gotten quiet around here ...

Maybe after each question has been ask 100 times, the answers begins to sink in smile.gif As happens every year, the xT-50 is now last years TV and is now old news. I'm with you about not really caring too much about small incremental improvements with the new sets. Unless mine blows up, I probably won't be looking for a new set for at lest 4 or 5 years unless something radically better is introduced.
post #8709 of 9713
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

A few weeks ago my set just instantly started buzzing loud enough to hear it 20 feet away over the normal speaker volume. It did it for about 2 hours then stopped and went back to its usual quiet operation. My return period is long since dead and I'm probably close to the end of the 1 year warantee at this point. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to pack it up and try a 2013 model (Panasonic or Samsung).

That 2 hour period was horrid. There is no way on earth I could have lived with that;

I hope you're going to get it fixed under warranty before it expires ! Even though the loud buzzing stopped, it will surely come back as the defective component deteriorates and ultimately fails altogether.

My friend's 60" ST30 was virtually silent for several months, then one night it started buzzing loudly. I went over and it was audible from his couch about 12 feet away. He called for repair and the technician first checked the screws, then replaced what turned out to be a defective board in the upper left corner and it's back to silent running again. There was one coil on the original board that went bad and started vibrating loudly.
post #8710 of 9713
First off, sorry if I missed it.

I have HDMI ARC from the Denon 1913 to my Panny GT50 (it is in the proper port for ARC). The TV has Netflix, but when I access it, the receiver sticks with the last audio feed. I pushed the TV Audio button to no avail... What am I missing?
post #8711 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

Things have gotten quiet around here, I suppose due to the new sets being released. I've been browsing the F8500 and ST60 threads and all I see is how bright the F8500 is or how much more deep the blacks are on the ST60. Anyways, I was watching Dark Shadows(terrible movie) earlier and just got finished watching Gangster Squad on Blu Ray. Both movies rely heavily on blacks and shadow details and honestly, I couldn't help but think to myself....Are people insane?!?! How much more black do you want?? Besides moving to 4K or OLED...how much more HD can you get?? tongue.gif
I'm aware that technology moves at a rapid pace but if you're not a calibrator, taking measures...does a .00002 or whatever really matter in REAL time? I mean seriously, my sets not even calibrated and IMO it looks unbelievable! I've seen both the F8500 and ST60 in person in a Magnolia room and neither of them made me want to tell my buddy, hey let me do an exchange and believe me, it's that simple for me wink.gif

I think true black like OLED will be quite an obvious difference. It would be especially nice if during day viewing the panel wasn't a greenish-grayish shade like it is now.
post #8712 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan25 View Post

First off, sorry if I missed it.

I have HDMI ARC from the Denon 1913 to my Panny GT50 (it is in the proper port for ARC). The TV has Netflix, but when I access it, the receiver sticks with the last audio feed. I pushed the TV Audio button to no avail... What am I missing?

Dont you have to manually change the receiver input so it uses the ARC HDMI as the source? Is it supposed to be automatic?
post #8713 of 9713
I just bought a GT50 a couple weeks ago now I am seeing the CNET review on the ST and they are the same price and it comes with 3D glasses.. I love the PQ on the GT, but since I am in the window where i can still return it, I am contemplating returning it.. Would yall do the same? Anyone see the ST in person yet?
post #8714 of 9713
I just bought a GT50 a couple weeks ago now I am seeing the CNET review on the ST and they are the same price and it comes with 3D glasses.. I love the PQ on the GT, but since I am in the window where i can still return it, I am contemplating returning it.. Would yall do the same? Anyone see the ST in person yet?
post #8715 of 9713
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam320 View Post

I just bought a GT50 a couple weeks ago now I am seeing the CNET review on the ST and they are the same price and it comes with 3D glasses.. I love the PQ on the GT, but since I am in the window where i can still return it, I am contemplating returning it.. Would yall do the same? Anyone see the ST in person yet?

You really should read the ST60 thread - i think you may want to return that GT50 wink.gif
post #8716 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

You really should read the ST60 thread - i think you may want to return that GT50 wink.gif

Thanks, I should have scrolled down further before I posted here.
post #8717 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I just re-posted them in the ST50 thread this morning......

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1397245/official-panasonic-st50-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/8190#post_22794266

900x900px-LL-f9440654_IMG_4884.jpeg

Just wanted to say this rocks. Thanks.
post #8718 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan25 View Post

First off, sorry if I missed it.

I have HDMI ARC from the Denon 1913 to my Panny GT50 (it is in the proper port for ARC). The TV has Netflix, but when I access it, the receiver sticks with the last audio feed. I pushed the TV Audio button to no avail... What am I missing?

HDMI out from Denon to HDMI 2 arc on tv, than go Viera link settings- default speakers- apply Theater. Make sure you enable ARC in your Denon as well.
post #8719 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

HDMI out from Denon to HDMI 2 arc on tv, than go Viera link settings- default speakers- apply Theater. Make sure you enable ARC in your Denon as well.
That must be what I'm missing. Any idea where that setting is on the Denon? I don't believe I've seen it.
post #8720 of 9713
Sorry I own an Onkyo, mine is in hardware setup-HDMI. Set to Arc. Maybe someone with a Denon can chip in.
post #8721 of 9713
Holy crap that was close. I was running the pixel flipper for some minor IR from some gaming. I have recently swapped out my HDD in my PS3 with a SSD (awesome by the way) and forgot to reset my power saving setting on the PS3. When I arrived home after an 8 hour day the GT had a splash screen announcing no input device found. I started up the PS3 and right there on the XMB was words from the splash page plastered across the screen. I thought that I had royally messed up, but after 15 minutes of pixel flipper both the text and the initial IR was gone, RAD! I love this set.
post #8722 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Holy crap that was close. I was running the pixel flipper for some minor IR from some gaming. I have recently swapped out my HDD in my PS3 with a SSD (awesome by the way) and forgot to reset my power saving setting on the PS3. When I arrived home after an 8 hour day the GT had a splash screen announcing no input device found. I started up the PS3 and right there on the XMB was words from the splash page plastered across the screen. I thought that I had royally messed up, but after 15 minutes of pixel flipper both the text and the initial IR was gone, RAD! I love this set.

Damn, ssd on a ps3? I have 7200 rpm drive in mine. I have an ssd on my MacBook Pro. I'm probably gonna get one for my wife's MacBook Pro too. What size is yours?
post #8723 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Very interesting. If the Panny Amazon app is not DD then it would almost have to be PCM. I have never heard of a tv outputting anything other than DD. Its unlikely that the tv has a DD decoder (which it obviously does) and would also output PCM just for that app. I wish I still had my Prime membership so that I could get details. My receiver would give me more detail than your headphones and we could see what the real deal,is. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I went back and it did say DD on the Prime through the TV App. I think maybe the connection quality was low and it dropped down to stereo.
post #8724 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Holy crap that was close. I was running the pixel flipper for some minor IR from some gaming. I have recently swapped out my HDD in my PS3 with a SSD (awesome by the way) and forgot to reset my power saving setting on the PS3. When I arrived home after an 8 hour day the GT had a splash screen announcing no input device found. I started up the PS3 and right there on the XMB was words from the splash page plastered across the screen. I thought that I had royally messed up, but after 15 minutes of pixel flipper both the text and the initial IR was gone, RAD! I love this set.

Do you mean the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW?
post #8725 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan25 View Post

First off, sorry if I missed it.

I have HDMI ARC from the Denon 1913 to my Panny GT50 (it is in the proper port for ARC). The TV has Netflix, but when I access it, the receiver sticks with the last audio feed. I pushed the TV Audio button to no avail... What am I missing?

Look in both the HDMI and the Connections Setup sections on the Denon. Don't you just hate the manual for the Denon? I do.
post #8726 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Do you mean the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW?
Yeah, that what it is.
post #8727 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch619 View Post

Damn, ssd on a ps3? I have 7200 rpm drive in mine. I have an ssd on my MacBook Pro. I'm probably gonna get one for my wife's MacBook Pro too. What size is yours?

I was able to pick up the Sandisk Ultra plus 128gb for $94 at microcenter up to 530MB/s read times. Rage and Skyrim have benefited greatly from the SSD much shorter load times , almost Zero pop in both Rage/Skyrim (since textures are installed on hard drive) and lag and performance are much better as well. The system boots much faster and exits to XMB almost instantly . I am gonna test Mass effect 1 since it also loads partially onto hard drive as well. Since memory allocation on pS3 isn't developer friendly,so developers are having to write programs to that trick the system into thinking the hard drive is an additional memory pool, so games will benefit for the much faster seek times.
post #8728 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Do you mean the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW?
Yeah, that what it is.

I just wanted to confirm since people often ask about the flipper, and since I've not had IR... I've recommended it in the past and will now feel even even better about doing so in the future.
post #8729 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Look in both the HDMI and the Connections Setup sections on the Denon. Don't you just hate the manual for the Denon? I do.
Yes, I do hate not having a physical manual and the TV is the same way.

I THINK I found out how to do this, will play with it later. It's not that big of a deal, I can run it with the PS3, ATV, Wii, but using the TV as the Netflix source requires one less component turned on. I am honestly shocked that Netflix support was not built in to the Denon.
post #8730 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

I was able to pick up the Sandisk Ultra plus 128gb for $94 at microcenter up to 530MB/s read times. Rage and Skyrim have benefited greatly from the SSD much shorter load times , almost Zero pop in both Rage/Skyrim (since textures are installed on hard drive) and lag and performance are much better as well. The system boots much faster and exits to XMB almost instantly . I am gonna test Mass effect 1 since it also loads partially onto hard drive as well. Since memory allocation on pS3 isn't developer friendly,so developers are having to write programs to that trick the system into thinking the hard drive is an additional memory pool, so games will benefit for the much faster seek times.
Good to hear, I always questioned the real-world benefits of sticking a SSD into a PS3. Now I have another project/expense.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]